Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

McDermott has to be fired on black monday.  No ifs, ands or buts.  

A decently successful coach normally doesnt have dozens of people jumping at the chance to tell their negative stories about him.  Daboll was ready to walk, even without a HC job, Frasier quit, Beasley warned everyone about this for years, and Wawrow's vagueposting makes more sense.

McDermott is a cancer that is not worth having as it was.  Get him out of here, and get an innovative offensive coach who can get the most out of the most athletically gifted quarterback in the history of the sport.  

• Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

You really think Dunne does this story listening low end people/players.  I think someone high up came to him right after Philly loss,  he does not do this unless he was getting information from someone high up.  This is destroying his relationship with the team, 

Came to him after the loss to do what, release the article?  Dunne can’t have 25 interviews over the course of a week during the season to put together a 3 part article

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I’m wondering if people would rather have players coach Rex Ryan taking us to 7-9 each year or control freak Sean Mcd with his 5 playoffs in 6 years.

I know who I’d want

I will take the guy who knows how to win with an elite level QB. 9 Super Bowl appearances with 6 Lombardi trophies. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Came to him after the loss to do what, release the article?  Dunne can’t have 25 interviews over the course of a week during the season to put together a 3 part article

Most likely does not release it if the Bills win,  it's a damaging report and sounds accurate outside the remains McDermott stans

Just now, Gregg said:

I will take the guy who knows how to win with an elite level QB. 9 Super Bowl appearances with 6 Lombardi trophies. 

If Bill B wanted to come to Buffalo, I wouldn’t hesitate at all with that move.  Even with the questionable history of Bill laying a very specific foundation and culture for his team.  There have been several players who have not liked Bill as a coach

• Like (+1) 2

Tyler Dunne was on the Shred and Ragan show this morning to discuss this piece and offered some more insights as well.  It was an interesting listen and I would assume will probably be available to listen to as a podcast on the 97 Rock website at some point by today.  He also talked about how although they don't hate each other there is definitely a huge disconnect between McDermott and Allen but also said Josh just doesn't have the personality to vocally call McDermott out but there are other guys in the Bills locker room that have told him he should.

For what it's worth after Dunne hung up, Ragan mentioned he has a contact inside the organization that he reached out to after the piece was written to get his thoughts on if the portrayal was accurate to which his contact replied "Dead Center Accurate" 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I remember Marv Levy told his teams Germany didn’t prevail in WW 2 because Hitler couldn’t win on the road.

Did people freak out about that comment?

Tbh I never thought McDermott had the kind of imagination to think outside the box like that. 

I'm kind of impressed. Mortified, but also impressed. 😏

• Haha (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

And that's a problem.

News articles shouldn't have that kind of agenda.

If Tyler Dunne had 25 sources, he should have worked harder to get (at least some) of them to reveal their identities, instead of being anonymous.

He should have specified whether these sources were current or former coaches and players, which is important context.

He should have talked with people who actually like Sean McDermott, and gotten some positive quotes to contrast all the negative.

There is no balance to the article.  McDermott comes across like a control-freak, and that rubs a lot of people wrong.  But there are lots of NFL coaches who are also control freaks and succeed BECAUSE of that character trait.  Not to mention that his predecessor Rex Ryan was the complete opposite, and mostly failed because he didn't run a tight-enough ship.

It could be all true.  It might not be.  What IS true, is the authors determination to write a hit piece on the HC who took his credentials from the building.  

I have zero respect for the author and I’m working under the assumption that 90% of the information he received is from Quinton Spain.  

All these sources and not one willing to be named?  This is as low brow an article that I’ve read in awhile. 

and it could all be true….but the authors lack of professionalism has discredited the publication in my eyes.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

For a HC, I think it's better to be viewed by your team that you will hold yourself accountable regardless of what the national media's opinion is.

We don't know what the behind the scenes is like.  Lets see how this team responds when their coach is under this much scrutiny.  

This or after the Philly game, Dunne was done with McDermott and he was going to spark it with this article.  

If we were lets say 9-3, I don't think this comes out until after the season.

I agree, I also think he is getting his information from someone currently with the Bills who wants him gone.  I don't think he goes with this solely on speaking with guys no longer with the team that may have a beef with Mcdermott . 

1 hour ago, Cray51 said:

I’m wondering if people would rather have players coach Rex Ryan taking us to 7-9 each year or control freak Sean Mcd with his 5 playoffs in 6 years.

I know who I’d want

Stop it, just stop it.  Rex may have been a lousy coach, but his last year was pretty much the exact same as McD's first year (save the miracle playoff birth).

Rex did not have Allen.  No Allen and the Bills would be lucky to be .500 with McD (and I'm being that generous because all the people here telling me how good a coach he is😉).  

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Ive mentioned this before, but I have a family member who works for the Eagles organization.

Nick Sirianni is a grade A douche.  Poor behavior towards assistants, throws coaches under the bus to the team, throws players under the bus, contradicts himself.  But that doesn’t matter because his team is winning.  The public doesn’t care that Nick is an ass to his coaches room, or is an ego driven narcissist, because his team is doing well.  

Most head coaches in the NFL are #######s.  But success breeds ignorance to that.  These stories from 2019,2020… they don’t come up until we are 6-6.  No one cares about the Chad hall stuff if we are 9-3.

thats why I chuckle at “we need to get rid of Sean now and replace him”. Replace with who?  Bill B?  The biggest control freak in NFL history?  An unproven OC?  We really want that risk during Allen’s prime years?  A retread head coach?

I don’t care if Sean is a control freak, that tells me he is a normal head coach lol.  He was dumb for the 2019 comments, and im sure some players didn’t like him.  But the guy has finally brought some winning to Buffalo, and now we want to tear him down.  It’s funny to me

8 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Most likely does not release it if the Bills win,  it's a damaging report and sounds accurate outside the remains McDermott stans

I think you’re right if the insiders in the org new about it.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

He's back!  Disappeared after a good Bills win, but flew back for this one.

The facts are what the facts are. 

I was not aware that we beat the Eagles.

If you are referring to the Jets game, it was nice not having turnovers kill us. Brady did a great job not fumbling or throwing any interceptions that hurt us.

2 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Ive mentioned this before, but I have a family member who works for the Eagles organization.

Nick Sirianni is a grade A douche.  Poor behavior towards assistants, throws coaches under the bus to the team, throws players under the bus, contradicts himself.  But that doesn’t matter because his team is winning.  The public doesn’t care that Nick is an ass to his coaches room, or is an ego driven narcissist, because his team is doing well.  

Most head coaches in the NFL are #######s.  But success breeds ignorance to that.  These stories from 2019,2020… they don’t come up until we are 6-6.  No one cares about the Chad hall stuff if we are 9-3.

The first thing Belichick did after every Patriots game, win or lose, was throw Brady under the boss and point out any mistakes he made. 

Whatever people want to say about Dunne, it's clearly no coincidence he waited until McDermott's most down year since 2018 to publish this stuff. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Stop it, just stop it.  Rex may have been a lousy coach, but his last year was pretty much the exact same as McD's first year (save the miracle playoff birth).

Rex did not have Allen.  No Allen and the Bills would be lucky to be .500 with McD.  

Bills were 9-7 without Allen in Sean’s first year…. You call in miracle birth, I call it maximizing what he could from a terrible roster

You’re right, let’s bring Bill B in here, win super bowls, and then we can just ignore that he is a bigger control freak than Sean

or bring in Harbaugh, who just was suspended for cheating 

or bring in a guy from the Shanahan tree, who is known as one of the biggest asses in the league 

they are all saints.  

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

This seems very weird to see this investigation done up during this season.  Why now?  is this Pegula's people behind it to lay the foundation out before firing this guy.  Like why is Dunn doing this,  does he really want to start a war with the HC of Bills?  Unless he thinks or knows the chances are very slim that McDEMOTT is the HC next season. Winning out and making the playoffs could change the vibe but if that does not happen and the BILLS miss the playoffs then this report from behind the scenes will get repeated and read by others in national media.

Pegula may seem like a softy but you don't make the kind of money he has made because your stupid. The 9/11 report and this is not good and this season has had so many heart breaking defeats.

I still think that no matter what media or fans think or say the one guy that can tell Pegula it's time to move on is Allen still in his prime.  I do believe the description of being narcissistic just based on naming himself the new DC. Has he accepted or admitted the defence has failed miserably late in games so many times after the offence has given them late game leads. 

Dorsey gets fired.  Quinton Spain tweets wrong guy.  Author reaches out to Spain to see what juice he can squeeze.  Doesn’t take much squeezing as Spain hates McD.  Author reads that McDs seat is on fire within the mafia but his job is allegedly “safe”.  KC and Dallas on the horizon.  Strike while the irons hit.  Author trying to get some subs while also getting his nemesis fired.  

that’s my story anyway.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, boyst said:

Remind me tomorrow. Company Christmas party was not kind to me. Auto correct was though. 

www.removepaywall.com
take the website you'd like to use and copy and paste the URL in their box to unpaywall.
once there it should take you through the removed paywall options to navigate an entire website.

another is using an internet wayback machine or website archive site. those copy websites daily, essentially. that copy of the website will not include any of the paywall infastructure.

for those that think i have an axe to grind with newspaper. i do. i most certainly do. big newspaper crushed small town paper and ruined local news. beyond that, while almost every other media source in the world adapted with twitter and the internet - the newspaper publishers almost refused to do so and sunk money into trying to limit the internet instead of develop it as a tool for them. they lost billions and now it's too late so they put paywalls on articles. meanwhile, if you want a story just click on a tv networks news coverage for free - tv adapted to the internet (albeit not in a very timely manner).

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Roundybout said:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/the-mcdermott-problem-part-i-blame?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

A very long read, and the other parts are only for paid subscribers, but his sources paint a picture of McD as a narcissistic control freak who won’t take accountability for anything. 

Do with this what you will. 

Okay but if McD is the guy he says he is then why would players want to come here & then once here stay ? Not so much the Von Millers they would stay because of the boat loads of cash they are making but the lower end players all seem to love what the Bills offer all the way around .

This guy isn't in the building so unless he has a player or players that would be willing to say this about McD then this is all just another so called "Experts Opnion" of what it's like in Buffalo . But i for one won't put a lot behind what this guy has to say !!  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Rex did not have Allen.  No Allen and the Bills would be lucky to be .500 with McD.  

I’m not trying to defend 911 Sean but to pretend like Allen was this version of Allen right away is completely misleading. Allen was brought along slowly and had a very good defense to help him settle into the job. The Bills did a great job developing him the right way. And since 911 Sean was the head coach, he deserves credit for that.

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I know who I’d want

Sean's style is really more likely to get a team somewhere.  The question for me is whether he has enough self awareness to improve his overall effectiveness.  

Rex might screw up because he was not paying enough attention to details and could not hold his staff accountable.  Sean's style requires that he be a competent, confident leader when the pressure is on and have more awareness about how his style plays within the organization.  He seems to be lacking in both.  He may be the George B McClellan of NFL HCs.  Maybe Tyler Dunne's article might lead to some sort of self correction.

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

www.removepaywall.com
take the website you'd like to use and copy and paste the URL in their box to unpaywall.
once there it should take you through the removed paywall options to navigate an entire website.

another is using an internet wayback machine or website archive site. those copy websites daily, essentially. that copy of the website will not include any of the paywall infastructure.

for those that think i have an axe to grind with newspaper. i do. i most certainly do. big newspaper crushed small town paper and ruined local news. beyond that, while almost every other media source in the world adapted with twitter and the internet - the newspaper publishers almost refused to do so and sunk money into trying to limit the internet instead of develop it as a tool for them. they lost billions and now it's too late so they put paywalls on articles. meanwhile, if you want a story just click on a tv networks news coverage for free - tv adapted to the internet (albeit not in a very timely manner).

This method might work for newspaper but it doesn’t work 2 w/ substack.  You can read the preview but not the full article 

5 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

The first thing Belichick did after every Patriots game, win or lose, was throw Brady under the boss and point out any mistakes he made. 

Whatever people want to say about Dunne, it's clearly no coincidence he waited until McDermott's most down year since 2018 to publish this stuff. 

Well, if you do a story on what's wrong with the 6 and 6 Bills, why they are losing to inferior teams and then seek the opinions of those no longer with the team, this is what is the most probable result.

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

www.removepaywall.com

Anytime Tim Graham starts getting preachy about journalism I remind him about his boss:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/sports/the-athletic-newspapers.html

“We will wait out every local paper out and let them continuously bleed until we are the last ones standing" - Tim Graham's boss

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

25 year bills fan here. Who is Tyler Dunne and why should i care what he says. If I don’t know him after 25 years of being a bills fan and following the NFL, then how legit is he really? 

I thought he was legit. He worked nationally for a bit (WNY guy) but started his own thing. I think he interviews Favre a lot, which seems really questionable. Timing seems really weird and it’s by far the biggest buzz he’s ever had. 

but McDermott didn’t deny it. As stupid as his comment was, if the Bills were doing better, would we ever care (fun fact: 9/11 is my birthday).

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Actual Headline: nfl coach apologizes for referencing 9/11 hijackers will trying to motivate his players in 2019.

😂😂😂

I can’t stop laughing! I can see McDermott alternating his workout listening from Creed to 911 conspiracy podcasts.

When he really wants to get pumped up….he probably blasts this in his truck on repeat on the way to OBD.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

3 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Sean's style is really more likely to get a team somewhere.  The question for me is whether he has enough self awareness to improve his overall effectiveness.  

Rex might screw up because he was not paying enough attention to details and could not hold his staff accountable.  Sean's style requires that he be a competent, confident leader when the pressure is on and have more awareness about how his style plays within the organization.  He seems to be lacking in both.  He may be the George B McClellan of NFL HCs.  Maybe Tyler Dunne's article might lead to some sort of self correction.

And I think this is the fairest assessment.  Sean isn’t a dummy, he has laid the strongest foundation the Bills have had in 30 years.  He just might not be the right guy to take us to the absolute peak

but no one here really cares about his comments from 2019, or his firing of Chad Hall.  They care that the team is 6-6

im not a Sean apologist, if we brought in another coach who I think is qualified and a good fit, I’m excited.  But I’m not going to sit here and say Sean is a dumb guy who deserves no respect for what he has achieved

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Actual Headline: nfl coach apologizes for referencing 9/11 hijackers will trying to motivate his players in 2019.

😂😂😂

I can’t stop laughing! I can see McDermott alternating his workout listening from Creed to 911 conspiracy podcasts.

Is it bad that I'm picturing CBS' broadcast crew is right now putting together a segment graphic with the Bills' team on a plane hitting the ground and using an analogy that their season has "crashed and burned" since week 4?

I mean, there's no way they could do that... but I think I'd lose all control of my bodily functions if they did. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.