Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Back in the days when Ty Dunne was writing for TBN, I loved his work.  During his 4 years at Bleacher Report, I frequently enjoyed it.

Then, I got to hand it to him for nerve and verve - he decided to go out on his own to support himself by pulling in paid subscribers to an independent long-story 'blog' format, right at the time when bloggers and subscription newsletters seemed to be dying in favor of social media content by advert-supported 'influencers'.

But since then - I haven't admired a lot of content he put out.  I don't feel that he holds himself to a high standard for verifying sources.  He started out relying on disgruntled former Bills FO guys Jim Monos and Doug Whaley, who no one else in the NFL have wanted to hire.  He needs to draw in subscribers to make a living, and the way to do that is to generate controversy.

If you want to believe his shows, Isaiah McKenzie gets open all the time against zone and Josh Allen just inexplicably refused to throw him the football last season.

I don't know who this "former assistant coach" Dunne quotes might be and whether he has an 'ax to grind' on the way out the door. 

I do know that in the 6 games prior to him being 'relieved of his duties', the Ken Dorsey offense spearheaded by the "gift from the Football Gods", Josh Allen, was averaging 20.6 ppg (a point  BELOW league average 21.7 ppg) - this without any major injuries to key offensive personnel - and had given up 13 turnovers (more than 2 TO per game).  

In the same time period and despite all the turnovers, the injury-depleted defense, missing starters to season-ending IR at 2ndary, LB, and DL and down to the 3rd string at DB and LB on a game to game basis, has held opponents to 21.5 (slightly better than league average).

So call me Cray-Cray, but from my seat in a comfy chair, I kind of feel like where we are is the result of the offense not living up to what a "gift from the Football Gods"-led offense should be able to generate.

Do with this info what you will.

PS I'm pretty sure Sean McDermott has an ego.  I don't think anyone becomes a head football coach without having an ego.  But for the successful coaches, that's typically tempered by a good leaven of humility and willingness to listen and hear.   If McD is such an accountability-free egomaniac - well, it's harder to sustain winning year to year in this league than not.  It was said that Daboll wasn't happy working with McDermott.  Well, Daboll had a great first year with the Giants but the wheels have fallen off this season and Daboll has been seen screaming in Wink Martindale's face on the sidelines.  Do with this info what you will, also.

How dare the offense score an average amount of points for a 6game stretch! 

33 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

"I brought everybody together and said this was the goal, this was the intent, and I apologize if anyone whatsoever felt a certain type of way coming out of that meeting," McDermott said. "If anyone misinterpreted or didn't understand my message, I apologize. I didn't do a good enough job of communicating clearly the intent of my message. That was about the importance of communication and that everyone needs to be on the same page, ironically enough. So that was important to me then and still is now......13 seconds was also my fault"

And 12 men on the field...?

3 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I can’t believe how viral this story has gone. So many Bills topics are trending on Twitter right now. 

You Can’t Believe an nfl HC using the worst terrorist attack in our countries history in NY nonetheless to basically compliment the terrorist effectiveness as a viral story??? What planet are you from 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This you above?  LOL, and I had already called this before you said "Let's just call this."  Then you proceed to follow that up with trying to go back into the discussion?  LOL

The definition of "complimentary football" is also utterly irrelevant.  You are trying to paint a skewed definition about it to deflect any Dorsey blame regarding the offense and make it all the fault of only McD because that serves your overall agenda against McD.  

You are only interested in finding confirmation bias for your theories, you are not actually interested in discussing the points.  So any further discussion on the matter with you is futile.  Doesn't matter how I or anyone will define it, you have already made up your own mind about what it means and you have already decided that no possible definition other than your own personal interpretation and theory are correct. 

OK 

We're finished with this line.  

:) 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Back in the days when Ty Dunne was writing for TBN, I loved his work.  During his 4 years at Bleacher Report, I frequently enjoyed it.

Then, I got to hand it to him for nerve and verve - he decided to go out on his own to support himself by pulling in paid subscribers to an independent long-story 'blog' format, right at the time when bloggers and subscription newsletters seemed to be dying in favor of social media content by advert-supported 'influencers'.

But since then - I haven't admired a lot of content he put out.  I don't feel that he holds himself to a high standard for verifying sources.  He started out relying on disgruntled former Bills FO guys Jim Monos and Doug Whaley, who no one else in the NFL have wanted to hire.  He needs to draw in subscribers to make a living, and the way to do that is to generate controversy.

If you want to believe his shows, Isaiah McKenzie gets open all the time against zone and Josh Allen just inexplicably refused to throw him the football last season.

I don't know who this "former assistant coach" Dunne quotes might be and whether he has an 'ax to grind' on the way out the door. 

I do know that in the 6 games prior to him being 'relieved of his duties', the Ken Dorsey offense spearheaded by the "gift from the Football Gods", Josh Allen, was averaging 20.6 ppg (a point  BELOW league average 21.7 ppg) - this without any major injuries to key offensive personnel - and had given up 13 turnovers (more than 2 TO per game).  

In the same time period and despite all the turnovers, the injury-depleted defense, missing starters to season-ending IR at 2ndary, LB, and DL and down to the 3rd string at DB and LB on a game to game basis, has held opponents to 21.5 (slightly better than league average).

So call me Cray-Cray, but from my seat in a comfy chair, I kind of feel like where we are is the result of the offense not living up to what a "gift from the Football Gods"-led offense should be able to generate.

Do with this info what you will.

PS I'm pretty sure Sean McDermott has an ego.  I don't think anyone becomes a head football coach without having an ego.  But for the successful coaches, that's typically tempered by a good leaven of humility and willingness to listen and hear.   If McD is such an accountability-free egomaniac - well, it's harder to sustain winning year to year in this league than not.  It was said that Daboll wasn't happy working with McDermott.  Well, Daboll had a great first year with the Giants but the wheels have fallen off this season and Daboll has been seen screaming in Wink Martindale's face on the sidelines.  Do with this info what you will, also.

This post could be summed up as: “I won’t believe anything unless McDermott himself says it. Or at least a current assistant that will go on the record and talk about his current boss.”

• Agree 2

Just now, Einstein said:

This post could be summed up as: “I won’t believe anything unless McDermott himself says it. Or at least a current assistant that will go on the record and talk about his current boss.”

Yep, and given the record of the press with confidential sources over the past decade, that's entirely reasonable 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I can’t believe how viral this story has gone. So many Bills topics are trending on Twitter right now. 

I can.

Head Coach of NFL Team admits using 9/11 Terrorists as Positive Example of Teamwork in Team Building Activity

The Headline is so absurd and so offensive from a PR standpoint, if anything it's being downplayed around here.

Tomorrow it's going to be everywhere. On every talk show. It's already being picked up by non sports outlets. It's already the top headline of ProFootballTalk.

Like I said before, hit piece or not, his admitting to it having happened is going to be a media firestorm tomorrow. The likes of which he may not be able to come back from. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I'm not sure why you say these things when you're not actually sure. Dunne is extremely well respected.

He was a National NFL Writer for Bleacher Report for nearly half a decade, a Packers reporter, and a Bills reporter. His writing has been sourced by the NY Times, Yahoo, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, etc. 

He also has an amazing number of sources. His articles from the past month include one-on-one interviews with Bengals Pro Bowl  LT Orlando Brown, Broncos starting S Bell, the QB coach for Jake Browning, Texans WR Robert Woods, etc.

He is in the top tier of writers.

That was to be polite. I’m pretty sure he’s not that well-respected.

36 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's definiltely something new that makes his situation more untenable by the week now.  

It's just a matter of time at this point.  

Our performance on the field is hardly irrelevant also.  

This is tricky. You can’t let the team go out there and possibly win a few games because that would be viewed as rallying behind this coach. As owner, you can’t let that happen. McD really needs to be gone tomorrow.

I'm having a very hard time comprehending the 9/11 thing.

There are SO MANY positive examples if he was trying to illustrate that point.

I am all about the idea that sometimes smart people say stupid things, and none of us should be judged by our worst moment.  But for the sake of pete...9/11?  

1 minute ago, Governor said:

This is tricky. You can’t let the team go out there and possibly win a few games because that would be viewed as rallying behind this coach. As owner, you can’t let that happen. McD really needs to be gone tomorrow.

Very interesting take that I never thought of. You're probably right: if Pegula wants him gone, it has to be before the KC game.

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

About the 911 thing and McD before the article

not very likely i think. mcd is obviously good at covering his own ass, and he brought in beane, who also shown hes loyal. the players are also probably afraid to speak up, and the fired coaches probably have no means of reaching him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.