AFC Standings, schedules, & Rooting Interests FINAL 1/7/24 BILLS 2 Seed!

Donuts and Doritos

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Not sure why people would even bother with the "should" anymore when literally  2/3 of the games that "should not" have gone the Bills way the past two weeks did and teams who "should" have lost won many times over the past 3-4 weeks.

There are no "should" games at this time of year.

Def agree with the overall point but I think the afc wildcard hopefuls that aren’t us were massively overrated leading up to the last few weeks 

jax should move to London seems like they only win there lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Those teams can be somewhat dangerous, though because both the Ravens and Browns may rest starters the final week. So, if the Bengals somehow beat the Chiefs next week and the Steelers get by the Seahawks, they can both win both games

If the Browns and Ravens both win next week, wouldn't they both NEED to win the final week to win the division? 

Edit- Nevermind, I forgot the Ravens still play the Niners tomorrow, duh. Guess we need the Niners to win.

Edited by Amaru523

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I still don’t like our chances, sorry guys. If we get in we’ll do damage but I think Miami will eliminate us.

NYT simulator doesn’t know what it’s doing because NE isn’t winning tonight.

Except they beat the dead horses.  Evidently draft more important to Broncos.

4 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Anyone ever notice that rooting for the cowboys and patriots has never worked in our favor ? 

I usually root for the medical teams.

3 hours ago, Freak-O said:

And the other teams? They have no bad losses in their 8-7 records? They deserve to get in?

I think you ought to send an email to the NFL and propose a rule change, in which after a 17 game season a message board user with a very ironic user name decides what teams deserve to be in the playoffs. 

Schedule is determined by AI and playoffs by AU?

6 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Apart from Dallas soiling themselves we had a GREAT day today. Patriots would be gravy at this point.

Of the one game to not go the Bills way I think the Dallas one was the one I would pick. I think the Fins won’t get it done in Baltimore next week.

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

If we can’t beat Miami (we can), what’s the point in even making the playoffs?

Its actually a pretty interesting situation…we’re likely gonna be playing them twice in two weeks and only the second matchup will really matter 

55 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

Broncos losing helped us tremendously. Now 10-7 more than likely gets us in. 

Pretty crazy…our odds of getting in at 9-8 are as high as we thought our odds of getting in at 10-7 would be a few weeks ago 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Def agree with the overall point but I think the afc wildcard hopefuls that aren’t us were massively overrated leading up to the last few weeks 

jax should move to London seems like they only win there lol 

Been screaming this for YEARS! -and I LIVE here!

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Its actually a pretty interesting situation…we’re likely gonna be playing them twice in two weeks and only the second matchup will really matter 

I understand what you are getting at, but that first matchup may decide where the second matchup is played.

Luckily for the Bills that while they are the 4th most unlucky team in the NFL, they play the 2nd most unlucky and 3rd most unlucky teams back to back in the Chargers and Pats.

4 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Pretty crazy…our odds of getting in at 9-8 are as high as we thought our odds of getting in at 10-7 would be a few weeks ago 😂

Not necessarily...Bills could be the 3rd seed and Dolphins the 7th seed.

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Luckily for the Bills that while they are the 4th most unlucky team in the NFL, they play the 2nd most unlucky and 3rd most unlucky teams back to back in the Chargers and Pats.

Not necessarily...Bills could be the 3rd seed and Dolphins the 7th seed.

Oh yea it’s not guaranteed but there’s a good amount of scenarios where it happens now  

10 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

The Browns going to have nothing to do with our seeding.  We win the division, we will either be the 2 or 3 seed, depending if the Chiefs lose anymore games.

IF something happens where we don't win the AFCE, we need to hop the Browns for #5 vs. #6 was my thinking.

I feel like the playoff seeding should be adjusted so that division teams don’t play each other the first week. Like what if we beat the dolphins for the second time, then have to play them again immediately the next week? 

beating any team 3 times is tough, let alone a playoff team that’s in your division 

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

I feel like the playoff seeding should be adjusted so that division teams don’t play each other the first week. Like what if we beat the dolphins for the second time, then have to play them again immediately the next week? 

beating any team 3 times is tough, let alone a playoff team that’s in your division 

Didn’t the Bills do just that a few years ago? 

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Didn’t the Bills do just that a few years ago? 

Yea last year, they plays Miami then bears to end the season then Miami again in the playoffs. 

I think the nfl would benefit from not putting division opponents against each other in the playoffs.  A lot of times the wild card teams are better than one of the division champs.  Like the nfc south this year - woof 

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The Bengals-Chiefs game next week is MASSIVE. If the Bengals can pull the upset, which I can totally see, we're going to be back in nail-biting territory.

Only if you think we are not beating Miami.

Which is a terrible mindset in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, peterpan said:

The beating a team 3 times is hard narrative isn't true

Something like 70% of the time the team that won the first two wins the third 

6 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It's not a terrible mindset at all. It's tough to sweep division rivals.  

If we can’t beat Miami in Week 18, what makes you think we can beat them the literal following week?

We either have the horses or we don’t.

Miami 1-7 against teams with a winning record in the past 450 days. If we can’t beat them with the division on the line, we don’t deserve the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

If we can’t beat Miami in Week 18, what makes you think we can beat them the literal following week?

Miami 1-7 against teams with a winning record in the past 450 days. If we can’t beat them with the division on the line, we don’t deserve the playoffs.

I don't think they go that far this season even if they make the playoffs. The offense is too inconsistent

19 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There have been 5 times in the last 20 years where teams played each other back to back in the final regular season game and in the wildcard round. The teams that lost in the final regular season game went on to win in the wildcard round 3 out of 5 times. Sorry.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

The Bengals-Chiefs game next week is MASSIVE. If the Bengals can pull the upset, which I can totally see, we're going to be back in nail-biting territory.

Not really. If the Bills win next week, any combo of 2 losses from 5 games gets them in and the only really bad situation over the next 2 weeks is if the Bills drop a game and both the Steelers and Bengals win out.

Edited by Big Turk

11 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

There have been 5 times in the last 20 years where teams played each other back to back in the final regular season game and in the wildcard round. The teams that lost in the final regular season game went on to win in the wildcard round 3 out of 5 times. Sorry.

lol. You missed the context. Those 3 teams that won the rematches were resting their starters in the final regular season game (often division winners), or had their QB injured in the playoffs

So let’s look at those 3 teams who lost in Week 17 and then won the Wild Card round..

The 2004 Colts had the division wrapped up  and rested their starters (for example, Jim Sorgi played instead of Peyton Manning in Week 17). Therefore, the Colts backups lost to the Broncos in the final week of the season before beating the Broncos with their starters the following week.  Context: They weren’t trying to win Week 17.

The 2009 Cardinals rested their starters in Week 17 against the Packers. The Cardinals backups lost to the Packers in the final week and then beat them in the Wild Card the following week with their starters. Context: They weren’t trying to win Week 17.

The 2012 Vikings beat the Packers with their starters in the final week of the season, and then lost to the Packers the following week in the wild card. Sounds great, until you realize that the Vikings starting QB was hurt late in that final week game, so backup Joe Webb had to start, which is why the Vikings lost the rematch. Webb scored only 10 points, whereas the starter (the previous week) scored 37. Context: They we’re without their starting QB.

So, that 3-2 record of teams losing in the final week and winning in the wild card, when you look at the context, goes up in complete smoke.

Sorry.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Einstein said:

History? This has happened several times before and the the teams that lost the last week of the year have a winning record in the wild card round in those matchups.

Edited by Big Turk

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What history? The history I just debunked in the post above yours?

In a game with small margins with closely matched teams it is absurd to think a play here or there that goes you way one week but against you the next week couldn't tilt the outcome one way or the other.

Or a refs call/non-calls in a crucial situation sometimes due to interpretation differences between crews.

Edited by Big Turk

This one is a win-win for Buffalo. With a KC loss to the Bengals our week 18 game @ Miami is for the 2 seed. 

Obviously you want to make the playoffs first and foremast, seeding is secondary. But it’s not like a KC loss ruins anything for us. It just changes the stakes for the final game. 

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

History? This has happened several times before and the the teams that lost the last week of the year have a winning record in the wild card round in those matchups.

I get what you’re saying. This has also occurred to me. But let’s not call 3-2 any sort of major statistical advantage. 

If the Bills win week 18 then win the wild card that record is 3-3 over the last 20 years. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Bengal's are not beating the Chiefs.  The tape on Browning is out and the KC defense will feast. At the same time Cincy has problems on D. The Chiefs will move the ball and put up points.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Einstein said:

lol. You missed the context. Those 3 teams that won the rematches were resting their starters in the final regular season game (often division winners), or had their QB injured in the playoffs

So let’s look at those 3 teams who lost in Week 17 and then won the Wild Card round..

The 2004 Colts had the division wrapped up  and rested their starters (for example, Jim Sorgi played instead of Peyton Manning in Week 17). Therefore, the Colts backups lost to the Broncos in the final week of the season before beating the Broncos with their starters the following week.  Context: They weren’t trying to win Week 17.

The 2009 Cardinals rested their starters in Week 17 against the Packers. The Cardinals backups lost to the Packers in the final week and then beat them in the Wild Card the following week with their starters. Context: They weren’t trying to win Week 17.

The 2012 Vikings beat the Packers with their starters in the final week of the season, and then lost to the Packers the following week in the wild card. Sounds great, until you realize that the Vikings starting QB was hurt late in that final week game, so backup Joe Webb had to start, which is why the Vikings lost the rematch. Webb scored only 10 points, whereas the starter (the previous week) scored 37. Context: They we’re without their starting QB.

So, that 3-2 record of teams losing in the final week and winning in the wild card, when you look at the context, goes up in complete smoke.

Sorry.

Not reading that essay

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What makes it worse, is the Bengals play the Browns in week 18. The Browns can clinch a playoff spot with a win on Thursday night against the Jets and even if they somehow lose, their odds of clinching this week is still pretty high which means they may rest starters the last week against the Bengals. That would be a nightmare scenario 

1 hour ago, Seventeen said:

I can't see it with Jake Browning.

I said this the second Burrow went down and they realed off 3 straight wins before this week

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.