Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

42 minutes ago, Beast said:

I think the argument would be stronger if they tried to score there. Kneeling on the ball is the absolute right football move.

Like a lot of these so called fixes, someone will say it's is clear evidence of rigging no matter what they do.

2 hours ago, 1onemangang7 said:

It doesn't deserve an answer. So you look at every athlete in the NFL and really think that Purdy is possibly the most valuabe?

You just don't want to admit you're critiquing a fictional game lol.   You are scouting players when the player isn't the one determining his performance, it's the league according to you....but then you still scout these players??

And you make fun of other people on this board?

giphy.gif

i have on occasion wondered if the league is fixed,   the reffing is generally terrible and calls seem to benefit the obvious teams at all times.   with gambling being introduced, i wonder even more.   technically the NFL is entertainment,  not a true sporting league according to what they told Congress back in the day to keep from being regulated.  so they can do whatever they want ala Pro Wrestling.   do i think its that bad?  no.   one wonders on occasion though.

Edited by bigduke6

Do you really think a league with 32 teams and like 100 players per team and people like Kapaernick, Marshawn Lynch and Antonio Brown is fixed without someone leaking it to the press? Even if it was just the refs someone would eventually say something. Too many people to keep it a secret. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Freak-O said:

Do you really think a league with 32 teams and like 100 players per team and people like Kapaernick, Marshawn Lynch and Antonio Brown is fixed without someone leaking it to the press? Even if it was just the refs someone would eventually say something. Too many people to keep it a secret. 

This is pretty much what I think of every conspiracy type thing.  If it requires like a few select people to keep a secret it could have happened.  Hundreds or even thousands?  Absolutely not.  Even if everyone was properly motivated to keep the secret, somebody would get drunk and spill it.  It's pretty much the one thing I trust about the world, that people will eventually blab about stuff.

I waited 17 pages.   It was very difficult for me.

The NFL is rigged.

I’m one of the 3,423,488 people that would have to be aware and involved.  It’s very complex, and secret handshakes are involved.

I’m writing now because I think the jig is up.   I’ve seen a BLUE HONDA ACCORD on the highway either in front of me, behind me or next to me THREE times in the last four months … always with a different driver.

I suppose you’ll all see me on CNN with congress before this is over.  I’ll try to negotiate some form of immunity, but I can already hear some smart aleck Fed saying “yeah, you and the other 3,423,487 people”.

I can’t say more at this time.   I’ve got to attend a zoom call.   Seems someone found the lunar props in my tool shed and my wife’s freaking out.   Yes, she’s involved, too.

1 hour ago, bigduke6 said:

technically the NFL is entertainment,

That is true for the fans.  However, I can't for one minute imagine that the players, who get paid millions of dollars based on their performance (as well as the performance of their team, e.g winning Super Bowls), would be okay with losing a rigged game.  Not one single player of the thousands who have played the game have complained of this?  They cry over a few thousand dollars in their contracts because "they have to feed their families."  Certainly they would sue everyone and anyone who cost them some money.

I don't buy it.  Maybe I am naive, but I don't buy it for a minute.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You just don't want to admit you're critiquing a fictional game lol.   You are scouting players when the player isn't the one determining his performance, it's the league according to you....but then you still scout these players??

And you make fun of other people on this board?

giphy.gif

there is a football element.  a big one.  guys like cook and purdy will be a flash in the pan.  Youre just upset you pull for a guy that wont make it when defenses are ordered to stop him. 

27 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

there is a football element.  a big one.  guys like cook and purdy will be a flash in the pan.  Youre just upset you pull for a guy that wont make it when defenses are ordered to stop him. 

You belong to a message board that is the male equivalent of a soap opera and you're debating with other people that it is not real while being a bit of a condescending prick about it which makes the whole thing more enjoyable. This is actually good entertainment. Are you fake or real?

23 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

You belong to a message board that is the male equivalent of a soap opera and you're debating with other people that it is not real while being a bit of a condescending prick about it which makes the whole thing more enjoyable. This is actually good entertainment. Are you fake or real?

I'm not debating. I'm the debated.

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

PCP?

Primary care provider?

I think penalties are too costly. They often severly impact the outcome of the game. No other sport does that. Its rather annoying. Once the bills win the superbowl, i will be taking a step back from football for sure. 

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just remember we live in a time where what's true is getting harder to know, and that's by design. No area is exempt.

You are correct. It finally dawned on me this site and all of us don't really exist. It is run by an NFL AI bot using Chat Gpt.

I don't think the league is fixed but I do think the refs are told to put their thumb on the scale at times to create a more competitive and entertaining contest.  If one team is losing by a bunch I think the refs are more likely to "help" out the trailing team to make the game closer by throwing a few flags or not throwing them.

People have always gambled on NFL football, but with the league now formally embracing it, and the amount of money being wagered skyrocketing, it's only a matter of time before someone gets bribed or blackmailed to throw a game.  A ref, a player, a coach.  It's inevitable. 

It will be a sad day for all of us, not if, but when that happens.

There might be individual refs/players who might throw a game.  As many has pointed out, that probably has happened though I think it is much rarer than many implied.

However, to believe that there is the NFL office decides winners beforehand is frankly ridiculous.  It makes zero sense for the owners to accept it -- unless you think only Goodell and a small cabal of owners are in on it.

Ask yourself these questions. Why would David Tepper throw a drink on a fan if everything is fixed? Why would he fire his coach and GM so he has to pay multiple coaches/GM if everything is pre-ordained.  Why was Pegula paying three coaches at once?  Why is Haslam guaranteeing Watson $230M if it doesn't matter.

Everybody knows Jerry Jones is one of the most powerful owners in the NFL and the Cowboys are one of the most popular teams. Why don't the Cowboys do better in the playoffs?   When do they tell new owners or potential owners that the games are fixed?  Why don't any of these owners sue when they find out?  Why do the NYC/Chi teams stink so much?  Why are many of the top teams in the league from tiny markets like KC, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Baltimore.

It makes zero sense for these multi-billionaires to accept the level of ridicule they get from their fans when their teams stink (see Johnson, Woody).  If I was Tepper and found out I run a scorched earth policy and sue the NFL (and any owners in the know) for every penny they have.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, wagon127 said:

I think penalties are too costly. They often severly impact the outcome of the game. No other sport does that. Its rather annoying. Once the bills win the superbowl, i will be taking a step back from football for sure. 

Defensive holding and illegal contact being automatic first downs is so bad.

11 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

After the Lion game I am more convinced then ever, that while the NFL is not fixed, they do not discourage the refs from being incompetent, so they can get the headlines. 

Yeah, refs are a good distraction. I always thought they just had to manipulate momentum and Brady would win. Now the hits are gone and you can spot poor effort in action easily. That Cowboys game they threw forearms at Cook. Cook moved a pile of about 12 guys 9 or 10 yards or whatever it was.. Like the globetrotters the refs are just some fool standing out there these days. It's evolving.

And my theory is draft kings and fanduel were pioneer fantasy hubs that were always meant as books. The fantasy Era hooked a lot of people and the bet the stats now in parlays for the hope of big scores. ...that Dallas game as an example they bust em all out with Allen, what? Under 100 yards? Then all you hear on every show is Cook is coming to stardom. 

It's comedy, and drama, but it used to be the greatest suspense movie you'd ever see. They're too obvious.

Edited by 1onemangang7

Fixing football would be too complex to outright control games compared to a sole performer sport like boxing. After watching the documentary on the effect one corrupt referee had on important NBA games, I don't think we can rule out "interested parties" who could influence outcomes. There is so much money sloshing around the gambling world that someone will eventually be compromised. The fact that Kraft and Jones own major gambling operations just reinforces the institutional level of greed at work here. 

Even the league office plays favourites in ways that hurt some teams at the expense of others. I just read Ron Wolf's The Packer Way. In it, he describes how the league office screwed the Packers out of a first round draft pick. When the Packers acquired then OC Mike Holmgren as their head coach from SF, a league bigshot called Ron Wolf and told him that Holmgren's contract called for compensation to the 49ers in the form of a first round pick. Wolf took the league official at their word and awarded the 49ers Green Bay's first round pick as asked. He later learned that the league official was blowing smoke up his ass. Holmgren's contract never contained a clause calling for any such compensation. Wolf was livid and took his case to the commish (Tagliabue) and other owners who promptly shut him down.

By falsely claiming that GB owed the 49ers a first round pick, they did grievous harm to the Packers' fortunes. It is quite clear that the league will undermine the only community owned franchise any chance they get in the hope that by weakening it, they can bring and end to it in favour of ownership only by the super rich. As the Packers are community owned, they publish financials that the league does not want in the public domain. When cities and other parties sue the NFL, they can point to these figures as proof of ability to pay when contracts are not honoured (Rams relocation, etc.). We would be naive to think similar dynamics aren't playing out elsewhere. 

The fact that Jerry Jones owns a stadium building firm means that he automatically is in favour of teams relocating. He profited heavily by the Rams/Chargers relocations. In my mind, this screams conflict of interest when voting on team matters. Does the league encourage the Jaguars to be marginalized so that they can more easily move to London? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don't think the league is fixed but I do think the refs are told to put their thumb on the scale at times to create a more competitive and entertaining contest.  If one team is losing by a bunch I think the refs are more likely to "help" out the trailing team to make the game closer by throwing a few flags or not throwing them.

People have always gambled on NFL football, but with the league now formally embracing it, and the amount of money being wagered skyrocketing, it's only a matter of time before someone gets bribed or blackmailed to throw a game.  A ref, a player, a coach.  It's inevitable. 

It will be a sad day for all of us, not if, but when that happens.

There have been too many times this season where sometime in the game I've mentioned "the other team needs a TD to cover so watch the refs hand them one before we get much farther". And then sure enough, the flags start flying and the other team is handed a touchdown drive.

The Tampa game for sure.

The line was Bills -8. Late in the 4th quarter the Bills were up 24-10. Called that the refs were about to give them a TD. As Tampa's drive stalled they're handed a penalty on a failed 4th down attempt of a ticky-tack Def Holding call, 1st down Tampa. Stalled again on 4th down, refs fail to blow the whistle for forward progress, instead call a penalty, 1st down Tampa.

They get their TD and 2pt conversion to cover, and then the game went right back to the "regularly scheduled program" of the Bills holding on to win.

It was all so obvious.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

9 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

There might be individual refs/players who might throw a game.  As many has pointed out, that probably has happened though I think it is much rarer than many implied.

However, to believe that there is the NFL office decides winners beforehand is frankly ridiculous.  It makes zero sense for the owners to accept it -- unless you think only Goodell and a small cabal of owners are in on it.

Ask yourself these questions. Why would David Tepper throw a drink on a fan if everything is fixed? Why would he fire his coach and GM so he has to pay multiple coaches/GM if everything is pre-ordained.  Why was Pegula paying three coaches at once?  Why is Haslam guaranteeing Watson $230M if it doesn't matter.

Everybody knows Jerry Jones is one of the most powerful owners in the NFL and the Cowboys are one of the most popular teams. Why don't the Cowboys do better in the playoffs?   When do they tell new owners or potential owners that the games are fixed?  Why don't any of these owners sue when they find out?  Why do the NYC/Chi teams stink so much?  Why are many of the top teams in the league from tiny markets like KC, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Baltimore.

It makes zero sense for these multi-billionaires to accept the level of ridicule they get from their fans when their teams stink (see Johnson, Woody).  If I was Tepper and found out I run a scorched earth policy and sue the NFL (and any owners in the know) for every penny they have.

It is ridiculous but you will still have people gripping on any kind of conspiracy.  I mean we have flat earthers.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, wagon127 said:

Agree. I wonder if the league will look at that in the offseason, since defenses seem to have caught up with offenses. I'd start with reducing offensive holding to five yards but maybe enforce it more rigorously. 

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It is ridiculous but you will still have people gripping on any kind of conspiracy.  I mean we have flat earthers.

And we have Michael strahan in outer space. Lmao.

Youll believe anything and you tell everyone youre a sucka 

On 11/27/2023 at 12:27 AM, The Red King said:

(Please don't merge this with the thread complaining about the Bills/Eagles officiating.  This is different, with wider scope, and not limited to the Bills.)

There have always been suspicions that the NFL is fixed, but this year seems almost blatent.  There have been a ton, a ton of badly officiated games this season, and not just involving the Bills.  The NFL is in bed with Vegas and the gambling apps, that much is fact.

So, my question is, what do you believe?  I don't believe the league is outright scripted.  But I do believe they have preferences, and are not afraid to unleash the officials to get the outcomes they want, based on trends.

I hate to be that guy.  I hate to think about conspiracy theories.  But the officiating all around the league has been laughably bad/questionable the whole season.

Are you one of those people who believe we live in the Matrix?

Ohhhhh…or are any of us actually “people”?

You think that’s air you’re breathing right now?

9 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

This is not as far-fetched as you would make it out to be.  It could be very simply about Franchise-values...simply put, if you bought something for $300m in 2000, and they came to you and noted that it will be worth $2-$3 BILLION in several years if you play along, I suspect owners will go along with it...

It could have been communicated very innocently.  "hey, owners, we know there is no more money, really, in in-stadium Revenue or value.  The tickets and seats aren't getting more expensive and the stadiums can't get bigger.  Instead, we are signing this MEGA contract with these Cable/Television networks (back then) that have gobs of money because idiot Americans just pay for cable bundles, but that's our ticket.   The ONLY thing they ask for is that we have appropriate, exciting matchups on TV at the right time.  This may mean we'll have to endeavor to ensure the "right" teams are on at the "right times" and the right teams are good, most of the time.  We'll give you a bone every so often, but by and large your job will be keep the masses appeased and collect huge dividends and see your franchise values erupt well above the debt used to purchase the Team"

Whether implicit or explicit the League could then orchestrate through various mechanisms outcomes they desired. 

Just spit-ballin' here 

• Like (+1) 1