Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

5 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

Gruden says he will "burn the house down" speaking of the NFL if his lawsuit doesnt pan out.  Numerous individuals claim his superbowl win was rigged including the mvp of the game and jerry rice.   The NFL is concerned.  We'll see how this pays out. 

someone rigged Jerry Rice?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/27/2023 at 12:29 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You can’t do it. Too many people involved. But you can have 1-2 bad apples and they can do enough damage.

But no, I don’t believe the NFL is fixed. Officiating isnt getting worse, it’s always been bad. We just have more rules and more cameras now. Rules complicate an already difficult job. Cameras show every mistake they make in 4k ultra slow motion.

Not that I think it’s fixed at all but how many people would it really take?  League office/goodell himself and refs really.  Its not like you need players or coaches involved or anything 

America seems to have  a heightened sense of conspiracy  which is lame. Sometimes reality is that the officials just suck just like some of our players may suck.for a game. Rarely do the officials decide a game. The 5 big plays a game that each team has is usually what causes a team to lose. It’s why the nom-impact of Miller is hurting us. 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

So there’s this thing where human beings are *terrible* at keeping secrets.  If referees were being instructed by the league to impact games in specific ways there’s a 100% chance that one of the hundreds of people involved would have squawked about it by now.

What I do believe is that the gambling industry is more than capable of getting to individuals, either in a shady back room kind of way or simply by one of the refs becoming a problem gambler.

I also think refs can be motivated by dumb things like which players they like better on a personal level.

But yeah this “fixing” concept, as in the sport is like pro wrestling…absolutely not.  The risk/reward for the NFL to do that makes no sense.  

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/17/2023 at 4:41 AM, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

So there’s this thing where human beings are *terrible* at keeping secrets.  If referees were being instructed by the league to impact games in specific ways there’s a 100% chance that one of the hundreds of people involved would have squawked about it by now.

What I do believe is that the gambling industry is more than capable of getting to individuals, either in a shady back room kind of way or simply by one of the refs becoming a problem gambler.

I also think refs can be motivated by dumb things like which players they like better on a personal level.

But yeah this “fixing” concept, as in the sport is like pro wrestling…absolutely not.  The risk/reward for the NFL to do that makes no sense.  

There are levels of fixing and massaging games.  It does not have to be at the top level like some mob-boss slitting and deciding who wins every game.  To think where there are millions of dollars there is no foul play ever is just not realistic. 

• Agree 5

I do not think the league is fixed.  I do think the NFL is a massive TV show worth billions (TV revenue, advertising revenue, franchise values, etc.)  It's entertainment and the ultimate reality TV.  And what the NFL wants are to have the best players and best teams in the tournament.  I do believe as some have suggested they can't control outcomes but may try to steer the games in certain directions. 

For example, I do believe the league wants Buffalo in there.  JA is the face of Madden for goodness sakes.  He alone is a national brand and great for entertainment, the Bills avg. 30+ pts per game lately.  After the Eagles debacle, I think the officiating has been very favorable to Buffalo.  The calls in our favor have increased and some non calls on Buffalo for nitpicky crap have gone away.  The procedural stuff will always be enforced, it's obvious.  But they've swallowed the whistles on judgement plays that were called earlier this season.  I expect that to continue through the end of the regular season.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

There are levels of fixing and massaging games.  It does not have to be at the top level like some mob-boss slitting and deciding who wins every game.  To think where there are millions of dollars there is no foul play ever is just not realistic. 

Aren’t we more or less saying the same thing?

I have no doubt there have been individual bad faith actors.  Refs, coaches, players, you name it.  But some people talk about it like it’s the other thing - the league office or some proxy handing down orders.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.