Some thoughts re AFC, JA, McBeane and Injuries

jahnyc

Some thoughts below:

1.  This should have been the year for the Bills to win the AFC championship.  The AFC has been not as strong as many thought going into the season.  The Bengals are likely done because of the injury to Burrows, the Chiefs are weaker offensively and better on defense, the Dolphins have not beat any good teams, and the Browns lost Watson.  I think the Ravens and Jags are good but not great, and the Steelers have been lucky.  Chargers have a lot talent but can't get it together.  Seems relatively wide open this year, but the Bills may not make the playoffs.

2.  I have no idea what is going on with JA, if anything.  Weird that there seems to be a narrative developing that he does not prepare enough or that he is emotionally checked out.  Never would have expected this stuff from him, and I hope that it is not true.  His demeanor has seemed off, at least with his interviews (post-game and Dorsey).

3.  If McD gets fired, does Beane depart as well even if Pegula wants him to stay?  My sense is that McD and Beane are a package deal (they both go if one goes), but I would hope that Beane will stay if McD is let go.  Wonder what the contracts provide?

4.  Injuries have had a significant impact on the Bills this season, but I hope that Joseph and Douglas will be at least adequate replacements for the remainder of the season (and I think they will be).  The loss of Milano has hurt, and it will continue to for the rest of the season.

5.  With all the negative stuff that has happened so far this season, Bernard's play has been a bright spot.  Many seemed to think he was a draft bust, but he has played exceptionally well and I am looking forward to the combination of a healthy Milano and Bernard next season.  He seems to have all of the things that were missing with the play of Edmunds.  Another surprise this season has been the play of Dawkins.  He has played much better than last season and much better than I expected.

6.  Weird that there is so much drama associated with the Bills.  The Bengals were 5-4 before their loss last night to the Ravens, and I don't think I have heard any soap opera kind of stuff out of Cincinnati.

7.  I think we need a lot more than Diggs at WR.  A vertical threat and a WR that gets YAC would make a big difference for the offense and JA.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Some thoughts below:

1.  This should have been the year for the Bills to win the AFC championship.  The AFC has been not as strong as many thought going into the season.  The Bengals are likely done because of the injury to Burrows, the Chiefs are weaker offensively and better on defense, the Dolphins have not beat any good teams, and the Browns lost Watson.  I think the Ravens and Jags are good but not great, and the Steelers have been lucky.  Chargers have a lot talent but can't get it together.  Seems relatively wide open this year, but the Bills may not make the playoffs.

2.  I have no idea what is going on with JA, if anything.  Weird that there seems to be a narrative developing that he does not prepare enough or that he is emotionally checked out.  Never would have expected this stuff from him, and I hope that it is not true.  His demeanor has seemed off, at least with his interviews (post-game and Dorsey).

3.  If McD gets fired, does Beane depart as well even if Pegula wants him to stay?  My sense is that McD and Beane are a package deal (they both go if one goes), but I would hope that Beane will stay if McD is let go.  Wonder what the contracts provide?

4.  Injuries have had a significant impact on the Bills this season, but I hope that Joseph and Douglas will be at least adequate replacements for the remainder of the season (and I think they will be).  The loss of Milano has hurt, and it will continue to for the rest of the season.

5.  With all the negative stuff that has happened so far this season, Bernard's play has been a bright spot.  Many seemed to think he was a draft bust, but he has played exceptionally well and I am looking forward to the combination of a healthy Milano and Bernard next season.  He seems to have all of the things that were missing with the play of Edmunds.  Another surprise this season has been the play of Dawkins.  He has played much better than last season and much better than I expected.

6.  Weird that there is so much drama associated with the Bills.  The Bengals were 5-4 before their loss last night to the Ravens, and I don't think I have heard any soap opera kind of stuff out of Cincinnati.

7.  I think we need a lot more than Diggs at WR.  A vertical threat and a WR that gets YAC would make a big difference for the offense and JA.

McD and Beane are not a package deal. There's no such thing in the NFL. Even the closest HC's and GM's get split up. In no way, shape, or form would there be a scenario where Pegula wanted McDermott gone and Beane to stay and Beane would say - "no way, I quit". There's only 32 people in the world who are an NFL GM. You don't give that up.

And of course next season we'll have another WR opposite Diggs. Probably a 1st Rounder. Kincaid is already shaping up to be the 2nd or 3rd big time passing option in this offense. With a franchise QB, if Diggs, Kincaid, and another stud WR to replace Davis isn't enough firepower (in conjunction with a solid roleplayer like Shakir) - than there's a problem.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

McD and Beane are not a package deal. There's no such thing in the NFL. Even the closest HC's and GM's get split up. In no way, shape, or form would there be a scenario where Pegula wanted McDermott gone and Beane to stay and Beane would say - "no way, I quit". There's only 32 people in the world who are an NFL GM. You don't give that up.

And of course next season we'll have another WR opposite Diggs. Probably a 1st Rounder. Kincaid is already shaping up to be the 2nd or 3rd big time passing option in this offense. With a franchise QB, if Diggs, Kincaid, and another stud WR to replace Davis isn't enough firepower (in conjunction with a solid roleplayer like Shakir) - than there's a problem.

Even if this team battles a little to make a playoff run, I still feel McD is gone. I think Pegula keeps Beane to start a offensive HC search.  Diggs will most definitely have a 1st round wr lined up on the other side.

As far as what could've been, we experienced as many injuries as these other teams. But at least Josh hasn't gone down. Speaking of Josh, he must work harder. Maybe a little less golf and more Palmer.  Just about every big name qb has said he must work more on the mental side of being an NFL QB.  And finally it doesn't surprise me that the media continues the Josh/ Diggs drama narrative to keep views. At this rate the way qbs are dropping,  Josh might be last man standing regardless of his shoulder.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jahnyc said:

I seems like every year there is some drama about the Bills.  It feels like a soap opera with WWE players.

23 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Even if this team battles a little to make a playoff run, I still feel McD is gone. I think Pegula keeps Beane to start a offensive HC search.  Diggs will most definitely have a 1st round wr lined up on the other side.

As far as what could've been, we experienced as many injuries as these other teams. But at least Josh hasn't gone down. Speaking of Josh, he must work harder. Maybe a little less golf and more Palmer.  Just about every big name qb has said he must work more on the mental side of being an NFL QB.  And finally it doesn't surprise me that the media continues the Josh/ Diggs drama narrative to keep views. At this rate the way qbs are dropping,  Josh might be last man standing regardless of his shoulder.

I can’t say I follow every team closely but missing arguably your 3 best defensive players minimum and the fourth being ineffective while he plays in a big cast every week is pretty one of a kind to buffalo 

were frequently out 6-7 starters all on defense.  Would very likely be 7-3 right now with just one of those missing players back in the fold even with this trainwreck offense 

• Agree 1

Beane isn’t going anywhere, IMO.

McD getting fired is not a guarantee, either.

Dawkins has definitely returned to form this year, but Brown on the other hand has been the weak link.

Along with a new RT, the WR room needs a complete overhaul. 

This season seems to be a lost one, but a new RT with a revamped WR corps, combined with JA returning to form could be the cure to what ails this Offense.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

From everything everyone has read and heard , McBeanes are 110% a package deal.   No piece-parting this group.  This is not plug and play fantasy football, if McD goes , history shows that the entire front office and coaching staff pretty much go as well, and 5 years of staff and roster re-tooling suck will ensue.  If that's what you want after 2 weird losses, you need to re-examine your fandom .  Why would you want to blow the whole thing up after a slew of key injuries and at 5-5 ?  Just because your tailgate 12 pack went down a little sour for a couple weeks?   Are Cinci fans calling for heads now that they've lost a couple in a row, one to Houston? 

JA is exciting to watch, etc, but after 5 years and miles of tape study, D coordinators have figured out the superman routine and now he needs to decide to play like Burrow, Rodgers, etc. ie, like a fully functioning NFL QB.   If he can't, then its on 17, and no coaching change will change that.

Come on, people 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

The funny thing is we do have more from WR.  I think it's silly we haven't utilized Shakir or Sherfield more.  The guy that has been dropping passes and obviously on a different page with Allen in Gabe Davis has much more targets than he should have.  He gets benched and I think this offense improves.  The silly thing is he wasn't like that the first few years in the league.

Edited by Billzgobowlin
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

This is a different situation though. McD was hired and requested Beane to come with him. I think they travel together if one is let go.

• Disagree 1

13 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Some thoughts below:

1. I agree the Chiefs are incorporating some young wide receivers and IMO next year the O be very good again with a good D.

2. I have heard some talking heads speculating that he is nearing the point of no return mentally,  They say it’s obvious he is disconnected and if he keeps throwing picks he may be broken beyond repair mentally. (Not sure how true that is.. it was on 98.5 this morning when they play FoxSports Radio)

4. IMO it’s been a bad year in general for injuries. I can’t think of a team that hasn’t been decimated by injuries. The healthiest I think is KC and even they had deal with a hurt Kelse for like half the year. 

6. Cincy has made a SB and AFC Championship game the last 2 years and this year they have had injuries and probably feel a good draft pick replaced Higgins next year. 

9 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I seems like every year there is some drama about the Bills.  It feels like a soap opera with WWE players.

You’re right, the drama with the Bills is exactly like the WWE-because 98% of the drama is completely made up! Think about how many asinine threads are started just in this website that go 10+ pages. I can pretty much guarantee you every team in the league had this much “drama” going on within their team fan pages. This isn’t a new thing either, if these things existed before the 2000’s, this much “drama” would have been going on with every NFL team then as well

• Like (+1) 1

This should not have been the year we won the AFC championship.  I called for a regression this year going back to the end of last year.   Lots of people saw it coming.

And now Bills fans are going to assume a miracle comeback because Dorsey was sacrificed to the football gods.  Ain't going to happen; our offensive problems go way beyond Dorsey's ineptitude.  

What happens from now until the end of the season is a critical crossroads for this franchise.  We are going to have a LOT of personnel changes in the next 1 or 2 years anyway, and we may be retooling the team with a new regime as well.  

As always, it comes down to Pegula.  Would love to know where he is on his patience meter with McD.

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

From everything everyone has read and heard , McBeanes are 110% a package deal.   No piece-parting this group.  This is not plug and play fantasy football, if McD goes , history shows that the entire front office and coaching staff pretty much go as well, and 5 years of staff and roster re-tooling suck will ensue.  If that's what you want after 2 weird losses, you need to re-examine your fandom .  Why would you want to blow the whole thing up after a slew of key injuries and at 5-5 ?  Just because your tailgate 12 pack went down a little sour for a couple weeks?   Are Cinci fans calling for heads now that they've lost a couple in a row, one to Houston? 

JA is exciting to watch, etc, but after 5 years and miles of tape study, D coordinators have figured out the superman routine and now he needs to decide to play like Burrow, Rodgers, etc. ie, like a fully functioning NFL QB.   If he can't, then its on 17, and no coaching change will change that.

Come on, people 

Username checks out

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Come on, people 

So, all the blame on the QB and none on the coach. Got it 

7 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Username checks out

^——— this 

2 hours ago, flmike said:

This is a different situation though. McD was hired and requested Beane to come with him. I think they travel together if one is let go.

We just saw in the AFC East where a coach hired the GM and the GM fired the coach with Adam Gase and Joe Douglas.

Also agree with many others that Beane and McD can go/stay separately, one has little to do with the other. GM's are more often given 2 even 3 shots at a HC hiring. Actually right now Beane has never hired a HC.

Maybe this low energy things is Allens problem.  Think he needs a new shrink!

13 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Come on, people 

I personally don't believe he will be fired until I see it. I wouldn't be upset if he was given another year. But I wouldn't be upset if they went in another direction either.

My response was to the scenario where Pegula wanted McDermott gone but wanted Beane to stay. I do not think in that scenario that Beane would voluntarily give up his post. And I don't think McDermott would want him to.

There are WAY more instances of lockstep Coaches and GM's being split up than GM's quitting because the coach was fired. Coaches are fired and GM's retained all the time. It isn't always a complete clearing of the well.

We will find out what is wrong with Josh sooner before later I think

personally hope beane stays - I’m not one that thinks his drafts have been bad - I think some need a lot more time than anticipated but he’s proven to become right on his picks so far actually 

I think he’s been listening to McDermott on draft selection priorities with defense and it’s becoming clear McDermott feels a stout defense over a high fly offense - especially his latest pressers with slowing it down and such.

makes me wonder if he’s saying I need more defense in the draft and not offense 

• Agree 1

McD isn't getting fired.  

Watch the breakdowns by Kurt Warner, JT O'Sullivan, Dan Orlovsky, Eric Turner, etc...   The problem with the offense isn't as simply solved as getting Diggs the ball more or getting a vertical threat - though I would love the latter.  Orlovsky gives a good breakdown of Dorsey's flaws in scheme and play-calling.  Warner gives a good breakdown of Josh's mistakes.  Cosell says we're not a high-talent offense yet we're trying to win matchups instead of trying to win with scheme.  And so on.  They don't all agree but they do all make good points.  There are a lot of things contributing to the drop in offensive production.  Josh's decision making, sadly, is one of them.  

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

McD isn't getting fired.  

Watch the breakdowns by Kurt Warner, JT O'Sullivan, Dan Orlovsky, Eric Turner, etc...   The problem with the offense isn't as simply solved as getting Diggs the ball more or getting a vertical threat - though I would love the latter.  Orlovsky gives a good breakdown of Dorsey's flaws in scheme and play-calling.  Warner gives a good breakdown of Josh's mistakes.  Cosell says we're not a high-talent offense yet we're trying to win matchups instead of trying to win with scheme.  And so on.  They don't all agree but they do all make good points.  There are a lot of things contributing to the drop in offensive production.  Josh's decision making, sadly, is one of them.  

Bolded is why I don't think Brady is going to change much. Also why I don't see them all of a sudden going on a run in the second half. 

On 11/17/2023 at 8:53 PM, jahnyc said:

Some thoughts below:

1. While I agree that the AFC is ripe for the taking this season, virtually every AFC team is saying either “This could be our year!” or “This could have been our year!”

2. I got blasted for saying that Allen hasn’t prepared in the offseasons since he got paid like he did prior. I do not believe that he is preparing like someone who is making $43M a year should be. 

3. I always thought that McDermott and Beane were a package deal too, but now I think that there is a chance that Beane would survive a McD firing. 

4. Douglas and Joseph will be adequate starters, but not Tre White or Daquon Jones. 

5. Agree on Bernard. Dawkins is playing like his normal self. 

6. I think the drama is due to the record and current state of the team. 

7.  A speedy, quality WR is needed. We could have a 50 page thread on the YAC issue. 

On 11/18/2023 at 12:36 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

You seriously think if the Bills make the playoffs that Pegs will fire McD?? That sounds more like what you want to happen (which is perfectly fine) than reality. 

I’m off the McD train but I don’t expect him to be gone unless we lose out. Even then it wouldn’t really surprise me if he gets another year

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

McD isn't getting fired.  

The bolded is the best summation of why this offense started misfiring after the Green Bay game last year

Dorsey did not adjust his scheme adequately after teams adjusted to his initial offense and he was lost since then. I’m glad he’s gone because that problem doesn’t fix itself. IDK if Brady has any answers considering it’s the same scheme but maybe his play calling can make up for the lack of scheming guys open and we can squeak a few games out while he tinkers.

That’s a long shot but best we’ve got.

On 11/17/2023 at 5:53 PM, jahnyc said:

Some thoughts below:

I can’t imagine mcbeane and McD as a package deal as there is too much money on tables especially with the extensions. I can’t see BBB quitting and losing guarantees on contract. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.