Sal Capaccio - Why so angry?

Back2Buff

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

I think he's always been a blowhard. He is the most knowledgeable guy about the game on the WGR platform but that is literally not saying anything at all. The problem is that WGR is in bed with the Bills. We need an alternative source, and I know there is both in journalism and podcasting that tells you it straight and can also break down the game and tell you exactly what is happening. 

Yeah I mean an example of this is Bulldog Parker. A guy who starts every "analysis" with "I'm not film guy" and then gives some basic observation that any fan could give. 

That's laziness. 

It's lazy 1) that you haven't been in the studio since COVID 2) you work for a sports station and have access to all sorts of analytical websites, PFF full subscriptions, Football Outsiders, etc. to become more knowledgeable, and instead it's no effort. 

Instead it's put the headphones on at 3:02 PM after going downstairs and eating a Franco's pizza and start talking. 

Mike and his reverse AFC Power Rankings and then pulls out the odds, or defaults to fantasy. 

• Haha (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, gomper said:

Sal really has the inside scoop doesn't he? That's why he broke the Dorsey firing.  Oh wait, that was Schefter. His continuous need to defend the organization is cringe at an intolerable level.

BTW- he did play by play for my little cousins championship game last Friday.  It may have been the worst I've ever heard.

I did laugh when he was talking about the Jags game back when he was in London. He mentioned at least 78 times (with such delight I'm certain he had an er*ction) that he was travelling on the same plane as the team and coaches. I can just picture McDermott trying to get some sleep and losing the will to live as Sal launches into another story of his time coaching high school football

yIqXbJ.gif

• Haha (+1) 5

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I don't seek out Sal, really don't have time to listen to lots of audio, but he is usually on the WGR 550 morning show for a half hour, and the guy is so angry and argumentative.  It's a tough listen.  What happened to this guy?  He was always the positive light in a dark cloud when the Bills weren't very good.  He was a guy that I would look for his stuff that he would post when he lived in Florida.  He seems to be getting more condescending and wanting to constantly pick fights with everyone.  Not just the callers, but also the other hosts. 

He needs a reset or something, but who would want to listen to someone that like constantly?

Is my opinion out of line?  The segment this morning and yesterday were embarrassing for him. 

Listen buddy. Covering sports is an extremely stressful job. You have to eat media buffet and you don’t always get to sit in first class. You think being a doctor, coal miner, or teacher is hard??? Haha, you wouldn’t last a day in the world of sports media!!!! True warriors!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

Sal is unlistenable when things aren't going well, because he will defend McDermott and the organization no matter what. 

His favorite thing to do if someone criticizes McDermott is to jump on them and talk over them saying "who would YOU hire? Who would you hire?" 

Who? Who? Who?

When the team is winning Sal is a fun listen though, because he's in his element praising the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The broader problem is there are no impartial or at least detached/counterpoint media in this town really. The expansive reach of the Bills and Sabres allows the teams to implant homers all over the place and tough questions can’t be asked or answered. If they do ask such questions there is no accountability (see S McDermott) because no media will hold that person’s feet to the fire. Some of the Rochester and Syracuse media are better at their craft because they’re outside of the Pegula Bubble.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Sal is unlistenable when things aren't going well, because he will defend McDermott and the organization no matter what. 

His favorite thing to do if someone criticizes McDermott is to jump on them and talk over them saying "who would YOU hire? Who would you hire?" 

Who? Who? Who?

When the team is winning Sal is a fun listen though, because he's in his element praising the team. 

And when McD does get fired he'll be all "it had to happen. Terry knows football. [pause] I'll really miss him though"

• Haha (+1) 1

The negative WGR narratives are a bit tiresome.  All in all both morning show and afternoon do a good job.  I agree with some of what is said and disagree with some of what is said.  That's good radio.

I think many fans feel if they host doesnt agree with their point 100% that they are bad at their job.

Is WGR perfect?  No.  But waaaaay better than some would have you believe.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

This to the max ^

People need to realize WGR is the flagship station and your never going to get strong sweeping takes from most of the people in Sal or Brown or Taskers shoes. It is state radio and the message is controlled in a certain way. If I am not mistaken Brown was even suspended for a week or two for making a relatively light slight about the team last year

Slightly incorrect -- he was suspended for divulging lineup information from practice.

Brown, Tasker, and Sal are Bills employees, so they are state radio for sure, but otherwise WGR hosts are not Bills employees and do criticize the team openly.

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

Remember when Schopp and the Bulldog had McDermott on the air once a week during Allen's rookie year, and Schopp straight up asked him why Peterman was still on the team? McD got all pissy and then Schopp was off the air for like 20 minutes.  

McD never went on the afternoon show again, as far as I know. 

Yep, and now he only appears with Bills team employee Sal Capaccio

4 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Agree with what's been said above, but also its clear that he's lost a lot of his former humility. 

He now likes to "big league" his callers.  Because as we know, since he travels with the team and stands on the sideline during games, he's actually a real part of the NFL, which he refers to all the time as "this league" like the true insider he is.

Someone should remember him that the "process" is about being "humble and hungry".

23 minutes ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

The negative WGR narratives are a bit tiresome.  All in all both morning show and afternoon do a good job.  I agree with some of what is said and disagree with some of what is said.  That's good radio.

I think many fans feel if they host doesnt agree with their point 100% that they are bad at their job.

This. Overall, WGR is good, even if they can be homerish, as I laid out in another post. Down here in NYC area, the "gold standard" of sports radio, WFAN has become a convoluted mess of Howard Stern/Mad Dog Russo wannabes who justy spit out ridiculous "hot takes" and yell all day long like banshees. Its "sports shock radio" and its gross. At least on WGR there are adults on the air. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

The broader problem is there are no impartial or at least detached/counterpoint media in this town really. The expansive reach of the Bills and Sabres allows the teams to implant homers all over the place and tough questions can’t be asked or answered. If they do ask such questions there is no accountability (see S McDermott) because no media will hold that person’s feet to the fire. Some of the Rochester and Syracuse media are better at their craft because they’re outside of the Pegula Bubble.

100% correct, and it is really sad that WNY fans have such limited, one sided media coverage of their teams. We really saw this at play for the whole Kim Pegula situation.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I did laugh when he was talking about the Jags game back when he was in London. He mentioned at least 78 times (with such delight I'm certain he had an er*ction) that he was travelling on the same plane as the team and coaches. I can just picture McDermott trying to get some sleep and losing the will to live as Sal launches into another story of his time coaching high school football

yIqXbJ.gif

I can totally picture it:

Sal: this one time we played St. Anselmo with their spread offense, and I came up with a 6-3-2 because we have LB's can run and cover. You should try it.

McDermott: shoot me now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

100% correct, and it is really sad that WNY fans have such limited, one sided media coverage of their teams. We really saw this at play for the whole Kim Pegula situation.

Only info that is allowed to be shared is. We end up in the dark all the time.

Does anyone actually know what Milano’s and DqJ’s injury situation is? The WGR guys seem content not to know. Crazy.

• Agree 1

Just now, Best Williams Available said:

Only info that is allowed to be shared is. We end up in the dark all the time.

Does anyone actually know what Milano’s and DqJ’s injury situation is? The WGR guys seem content not to know. Crazy.

The Bills don't leak information since Beane and McD took over, especially PII (personal medical related information). This is a good thing.

2 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

You like Halloween candy drafts apparently 

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Several mentions of Sal working for the Bills.  I was under the impression he still works for WGR.  

That being said, I am sure he would love a gig with the team. 

He’s the sideline reporter for the radio broadcasts, so he works for the Bills as well 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

The Bills don't leak information since Beane and McD took over, especially PII (personal medical related information). This is a good thing.

We’re not asking to know their cholesterol levels or BMI. A guy gets concussed, which is PII, and it’s open info.

7 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I don't seek out Sal, really don't have time to listen to lots of audio, but he is usually on the WGR 550 morning show for a half hour, and the guy is so angry and argumentative.  It's a tough listen.  What happened to this guy?  He was always the positive light in a dark cloud when the Bills weren't very good.  He was a guy that I would look for his stuff that he would post when he lived in Florida.  He seems to be getting more condescending and wanting to constantly pick fights with everyone.  Not just the callers, but also the other hosts. 

He needs a reset or something, but who would want to listen to someone that like constantly?

Is my opinion out of line?  The segment this morning and yesterday were embarrassing for him. 

He got more popular and it's gone to his head.  When he was up and coming he was pretty respectful.  It was a good change from the 3pm idiots.  Now he is just like them. Sal is a shill but his attitude towards callers is more like the 3pm idiots.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Haha yep, I noticed that. Weeks 3 and 4 when the team was rolling and people were realising actually Bernard can play (and actually he really can, even in the down turn for the most part he has played well) suddenly he started slipping in this "Edmunds wasn't an impact player and he wasn't a difference maker." When for the last two year especially he'd been a "you just can't see the difference he makes without breaking down the film" guy. 

My favorites... "he is just doing what McD wants him to do"  "he eats up the middle and no one throws his way," meanwhile the receiver run right behind him in his zone coverage and he doesn't even move while the pass gets completed.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

My favorites... "he is just doing what McD wants him to do"  "he eats up the middle and no one throws his way," meanwhile the receiver run right behind him in his zone coverage and he doesn't even move while the pass gets completed.

Tremaine defenders were the ultimate gaslighters.   You know what you were seeing with your own eyes, but they would stand logic on its head.    Always enjoyed the defenders who would cite their football background of HS football or division 3 college like they were Belichick or something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

Sal is miserable. Constantly reminding guests and hosts that he "works for the Bills" and "I'm on the field for games"....cool, dude. I generally like the other WGR hosts but Sal is the worst. Can never be wrong either.

I bet there are plenty of roadies and other people who travel with bands and are on the stage in the background, doesn't make them musicians.  Sal isn't much different than the guy on a late night infomercial, he's a paid pitch man.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, MWK said:

Sal loves hearing himself talk. He also played and coached high school football so he is an expert. I would love to see his reaction to this thread.

I like Sal on the morning show but can’t deal with him talking to himself on his own show.  And now with Joe on there with him, it’s even worse. Joe will say words for 90 seconds hoping there’s 10 seconds of coherent thought worth commenting on. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

He got more popular and it's gone to his head.  When he was up and coming he was pretty respectful.  It was a good change from the 3pm idiots.  Now he is just like them. Sal is a shill but his attitude towards callers is more like the 3pm idiots.

I get where your coming from with Mike (Schop)for sure - Sal used to be great and now he cuts people off and states you can call but if you disagree he jumps down your throat - but bulldog? Come on man- love the guy - I may be super impartial though because he reminds me of a friend that passed away

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BlazinBill said:

I get where your coming from with Mike (Schop)for sure - Sal used to be great and now he cuts people off and states you can call but if you disagree he jumps down your throat - but bulldog? Come on man- love the guy - I may be super impartial though because he reminds me of a friend that passed away

Schop and the Bulldog should be fired.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

I dont mind him when he is by himself honestly, but together the show is just trash.

• Agree 2

Personally, I don't know Sal, so I would rather not comment on him in that aspect.  Professionally, I slowly lost interest in listening to him.  I loved him back in the day, it seemed he was being himself.  Now, he's unlistenable, in my opinion.  I get he has to keep fans interested, but I know many who have balked listening to him as well.  I'm sure he had to change things up to get clicks, but not interested in his take anymore.

• Agree 3

WGR is hard to listen to most of the time. None of the hosts have a strong grasp of the english language, proper punctuation, and verbage.

When I continually hear "you know" every other sentence, I change the channel. Almost all the on-air hosts are guilty of it, and Jeremy White is the worst.

Next time you listen, pay attention to how many times a minute you hear "you know." 

I find it hard to take anyone serious when they speak like a junior high student, and not like a paid, speaking professional.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

No.  I feel kind of badly for the guy, actually.  He seems to identify as the “Bills sideline reporter.”  There’s a lot more to someone than their job, irrespective of whether they’re lugging trash or quarterbacking the Bills.   I hope I never identify by how I earn a paycheck and support my family. 

Agreed. Although I had some good jobs that paid well and, by some accounts,  might be considered high profile, I always made sure to separate my personal life from my suit-and-tie life.

43 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I dont mind him when he is by himself honestly, but together the show is just trash.

Bulldog on his own isn't bad. Especially when he talks hockey. But Schopp is one of those talk-radio hosts who loves his own ideas ... and only his own ideas.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

he’s turned into a bought puppet who’s now a complete total d bag.

Very sad because I used to listen to him way back when he was in his basement doing shows.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.