Road to the Playoffs

steven50

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

But Miami does have Dallas and Balt.  The Bills just need to be within a game by week 18 for the division title to be at stake.

Also, Miami plays NYJ twice.  And with all the QBs that have gone down who would have guessed Tua hasn't missed any time. 

The Bills have Dallas, KC and Philly.  

It amazes me how everyone here has all these other teams losing to the top teams yet the Bills will beat those same teams. 

3 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

The Bills have Dallas, KC and Philly.  

It amazes me how everyone here has all these other teams losing to the top teams yet the Bills will beat those same teams. 

I didn't say the Bills didn't have a difficult schedule.  I was responding to someone who said Miami had an easy schedule.  And I don't think the NYJ are easy.

IMO, the division title is not out of reach.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/16/2023 at 6:30 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

It's that time for the playoff machine:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

FWIW I went through all the games for all the weeks and just picked the winners super quickly based on who I thought the favorite would be.  There will be upsets... there always are.

Picking the "favorites" for all the games (with the exception of Buffalo), Buffalo becomes the #7 seed going 5-2 with its only losses to Philly and KC.

I did the same thing.  Just picked games as I think the teams would win.  There were a few I picked that wasn't sure of but picked one.  The Bills had to beat the Jets, Chargers, Cowboys, and Miami.  Loss to Philly and KC.  The Bills really have zero room for error.  I know I say that and show two losses but they can still easily lose to Chargers, Cowboys and Miami.  Anyone of those are losses, then we aint making it.  Im sure you could play around and sub one of those teams for Philly and or KC but... we need to win and win almost all of them against a gauntlet.

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I didn't say the Bills didn't have a difficult schedule.  I was responding to someone who said Miami had an easy schedule.  And I don't think the NYJ are easy.

They have a winning record against teams below .500. I don't see that changing. IMO wild card is the only way and with 4 AFC losses already it's going to be tough. They lose this weekend it's done. 

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I did the same thing.  Just picked games as I think the teams would win.  There were a few I picked that wasn't sure of but picked one.  The Bills had to beat the Jets, Chargers, Cowboys, and Miami.  Loss to Philly and KC.  The Bills really have zero room for error.  I know I say that and show two losses but they can still easily lose to Chargers, Cowboys and Miami.  Anyone of those are losses, then we aint making it.  Im sure you could play around and sub one of those teams for Philly and or KC but... we need to win and win almost all of them against a gauntlet.

I agree with what you said. I just don't see how so many are so sure they beat the Cowboys. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yeah, listen I'm not going to lie. I didn't read a word of this response and I don't intend to. 

I also will not comment further on it, because as sure as I am about what it's says and all the tap dancing that may be there, I don't give comments based on my own assumptions and preconceived notions. Only a real schmuck would do that, right?

How do you know what I said then?  

It may have been nothing but complimentary of you.  

Your loss.  

Don't you have something better to do than to antagonize fellow Bills fans on a Friday night?  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/14/2023 at 1:27 PM, Patrick Fitzryan said:

I'm not even sure I want to watch this current iteration of the Bills go to the postseason again.

God only knows what kind of horrific choke job they'd manage to pull out of their hats in a playoff game.

Yet you never know how the ball will bounce in a playoff game.  The team has underachieved as the favorites;  maybe with lower expectations and maybe even being written off completely may spark the teams ego to shut all the naysayers up.  They have the talent to do it if the lucky bounces fall the Bills way in post season.  We are due some bounces to get them back to the mean.  Do I expect it, at this point this team only has earned a show me what you got.  They will earn what they deserve either way.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

They have a winning record against teams below .500. I don't see that changing. IMO wild card is the only way and with 4 AFC losses already it's going to be tough. They lose this weekend it's done. 

I agree with what you said. I just don't see how so many are so sure they beat the Cowboys. 

I'm not.  It's just a game the Bills do have to win if we lose to Philly and KC.

39 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

As well if the players really are about winning then we should see it on the field.  If they keep this just going through the motions, we are just running the plays as they are called mindset then they really don't deserve a place at the table with the grownups.

• Agree 1

The Bills margin for error is slim but if you look at the playoffs as being possible at 10-7 the Bills are going to have to go 5-2 to achieve that. That means you have to beat the Jets, Chargers and Pats. All doable, then you have to go 2-2 between the Fins, Cowboys, Chiefs and Eagles. Doable for sure. Right now you just have to beat the Jets at home and then you only have to go 4-2. That's it just beat the Jets and go from there. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I’m pretty sure all 4 will have the backup the rest of the way. Raiders fired their coach and benched the starting QB for a rookie. They are all in on the tank.

For teams “in the hunt”, the Jets are also playing their backup (and he’s been terrible).

Pickett is the Steelers starter, but he has been as bad as the backups.

Only teams with QBs playing well (statistically anyway) are Texans, Broncos. Chargers and Bills. Maybe the 3 wildcards will be from that group.

Edited by DapperCam
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Ummm... they absolutely have room for error... and you posted that here. Their error room is 2 games.

And to preemptively respond... yes the Bills absolutely could beat the Eagles and/or Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ummm... they absolutely have room for error... and you posted that here. Their error room is 2 games.

And to preemptively respond... yes the Bills absolutely could beat the Eagles and/or Chiefs.

Can we beat the Jets without looking terrible all game first?  I addressed the "room for error" remark in the post. But I will address it further... that "room for error" is based off assuming a couple teams completely crap the bed without their QB. They could also sneak a couple wins that makes that 2 game error room non existent.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Can we beat the Jets without looking terrible all game first?  I addressed the "room for error" remark in the post. But I will address it further... that "room for error" is based off assuming a couple teams completely crap the bed without their QB. They could also sneak a couple wins that makes that 2 game error room non existent.

They all play each other. 2 teams can't win

22 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

They all play each other. 2 teams can't win

What? Those aren't the only two teams in WC contention.  There is also more on their schedule than just each other.  I'll revisit this again after the games play this week, just like I do every week.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

What? Those aren't the only two teams in WC contention.  There is also more on their schedule than just each other.  I'll revisit this again after the games play this week, just like I do every week.

Bengals play Steelers (either team losing is probably good), Jags (either team losing is probably good), Colts (either team losing is probably good), Steelers (see above), Chiefs (either team losing is probably good), Browns (either team losing is probably good)

Browns play Steelers (either team losing is probably good), Broncos (either team losing is probably good), Jags (either team losing is probably good), Texans (either team losing is probably good), Bengals (see above)

That's only 2 teams I did, both of which are ahead of the Bills in the playoff picture currently. Other teams in the wildcard hunt like the Jags, Texans and Colts are all about to start beating up on each other, too. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Bengals play Steelers (either team losing is probably good), Jags (either team losing is probably good), Colts (either team losing is probably good), Steelers (see above), Chiefs (either team losing is probably good), Browns (either team losing is probably good)

Browns play Steelers (either team losing is probably good), Broncos (either team losing is probably good), Jags (either team losing is probably good), Texans (either team losing is probably good), Bengals (see above)

That's only 2 teams I did, both of which are ahead of the Bills in the playoff picture currently. Other teams in the wildcard hunt like the Jags, Texans and Colts are all about to start beating up on each other, too. 

You cant just list every game as "either team losing is probably good."  It doesn't work like that.  It changes all the time based on which team actually wins.  One of those teams you listed will be a division winner.  Thats actually a good thing.  Every team you listed has the potential to take 1 of 3 wc spots and some you haven't listed.

You understand that the Bills do not control their own destiny right now right? To me, that means there is zero room for error. The Bengals are the only team in the AFC with a worse conference record than us right now and they beat us so thats moot.

Again, I will revisit this after the games each week.  Right now Bills are pretty much in must win mode.  We hold tie breakers with no one except the Raiders.  I don't even know why the raiders are ahead of us in the race considering we beat them and we have the same record but somehow they are.

Edited by Scott7975

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Again, I will revisit this after the games each week.  Right now Bills are pretty much in must win mode.  We hold tie breakers with no one except the Raiders.  I don't even know why the raiders are ahead of us in the race considering we beat them and we have the same record but somehow they are.

If more than two teams have the same record, other tiebreakers besides head-to-head take effect first.  Raiders have a better conference record than us (3-3), and a better division record too (1-1).

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

You cant just list every game as "either team losing is probably good."  It doesn't work like that.  It changes all the time based on which team actually wins.  One of those teams you listed will be a division winner.  Thats actually a good thing.  Every team you listed has the potential to take 1 of 3 wc spots and some you haven't listed.

You understand that the Bills do not control their own destiny right now right? To me, that means there is zero room for error. The Bengals are the only team in the AFC with a worse conference record than us right now and they beat us so thats moot.

You're saying a whole lotta nothing here. I didn't list ALL teams because you should get the idea already. I think you do, but you're just stubbornly clinging to your original point.

And I want you to provide me with a scenario where the Bills win out and don't make the playoffs. Every time you find yourself giving one team in the WC race wins to kick Buffalo out you'll be giving another one a loss. Please, provide the scenario that proves Buffalo does not in fact control its own destiny. Try remembering that only one team wins a game.

24 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're saying a whole lotta nothing here. I didn't list ALL teams because you should get the idea already. I think you do, but you're just stubbornly clinging to your original point.

And I want you to provide me with a scenario where the Bills win out and don't make the playoffs. Every time you find yourself giving one team in the WC race wins to kick Buffalo out you'll be giving another one a loss. Please, provide the scenario that proves Buffalo does not in fact control its own destiny. Try remembering that only one team wins a game.

Im not going to sit here and list out all the teams each week but I will show you the screenshot of the standings with Bills winning out and not making it...

Screenshot2023-11-191320132.thumb.png.416287fee63055165bc5eaf563fcbd43.png

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Can't see that. You sure that's not a screenshot of a grasshopper?

I dont know why it disappeared.  Why you acting like an ass?  There you go.  Bills win out 12-5 and not in playoffs.

Screenshot2023-11-191320132.thumb.png.4dfdac48d28d256bf4b966c345d38bf7.png

Edited by Scott7975

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I dont know why it disappeared.  Why you acting like an ass?  There you go.  Bills win out 12-5 and not in playoffs.

Screenshot2023-11-191320132.thumb.png.4dfdac48d28d256bf4b966c345d38bf7.png

Denver getting the 2 seed would be one of the greatest things to happen in the history of the sport. I will accept us not making the playoffs if this is the scenario in which we lose out.

11 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Denver getting the 2 seed would be one of the greatest things to happen in the history of the sport. I will accept us not making the playoffs if this is the scenario in which we lose out.

It’s just as likely as the other guy saying we can win out. Yes we can. Likely no. The entire point was at the time of posting we didn’t control our own destiny and we didn’t. That may have changed this week. I dunno yet. 

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

The Bills need to somehow win 4 games left to get to 10-7. 10-7 most likely gets them in 9-8 and prob not unless a lot of teams fall off 

I feel some confidence about 10-7, and agree.

I mean, if we can't go 5-2 the rest of the way - we really don't deserve to get in.  Split the next 2 games, and things will be looking pretty good.  Win the next 2 games, and it's looking like a lock.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.