Broncos @ Bills - Postgame Thread

Simon

Watch the fake Twitter accounts today everyone.

I doubt we make any kind of move on a short week, but I’d be beyond shocked if Dorsey was on the staff after the bye week. 

I think Dorsey is canned and Pegs pays close attention to how the team rallies. They didn’t look like a group of guys fighting for their HC last night. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I maintain that it all started with McDorsey neutering Josh’s running early in the season. Taking Josh’s running threat away completely disrupted Allen’s processing and mojo. I was never ok with that and now Allen is a complete head case (other reasons as well).

13 seconds

12 men

It’s time for McD to go and take Dorsey with him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Is it just me or did McDermott appear to be shaking with anger / twitchy in a few instances during the post-game interview.  Despite throwing ppl under the bus, I actually appreciated the fact that McDermott showed some damn emotion for once, and was truthful in response to a certain questions he was asked. Doesn’t make him a better coach unfortunately, but I’m just saying it was a little easier to watch as opposed to the typically 100% predictable responses we get every week that never tell us anything.

1 hour ago, BRH said:

Think of being a defensive player on the Bills and waking up this morning, nearly unable to crawl out of bed because you gave everything you had for 37 minutes and change last night, mostly defending your half of the field with little margin for error, only to have it ripped away from you at the end due to some of the worst coaching and execution possible in the other two phases, and a blindingly stupid zero blitz called on your last play, plus having to play 10-on-11 every time Von got wheeled out there, and thinking you have to do this all over again on a short week.  

It’s like being a fan, except the pain is physical as well as mental.  

Then I pull up my smartphone and look at my bank account balance... and all is right again... ahhh.

• Haha (+1) 1

I went to bed mad and disappointed, and I woke up mad and disappointed. 

I truly think Dorsey is the #1 problem with this team, and he should absolutely have been fired weeks ago. 

The #2 issue is almost just as bad though. Our HC is distracted running the defense and has been in no way "buttoned up" or "disciplined" like they preach. If he doesn't bring those qualities, arguably his only great qualities, then what good is he? 

I'm tired of rooting for a joke. There are so many teams doing more with less.  

5 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I went to bed mad and disappointed, and I woke up mad and disappointed. 

I truly think Dorsey is the #1 problem with this team, and he should absolutely have been fired weeks ago. 

The #2 issue is almost just as bad though. Our HC is distracted running the defense and has been in no way "buttoned up" or "disciplined" like they preach. If he doesn't bring those qualities, arguably his only great qualities, then what good is he? 

I'm tired of rooting for a joke. There are so many teams doing more with less.  

i made a thread on this, but wont bump it since there are so many new threads today.

If I'm Pegula, the only way McD keeps his job today is if he fires BOTH coordinators and goes back to being the HC running the whole team and working the details.

Fire Dorsey, move out of DC. Promote Shula/Brady to OC and Bobby Babich to DC for the rest of the year, and see how it goes.

It will at least tell Pegula whether he needs to be starting the search for a new HC, or just new OC.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

i made a thread on this, but wont bump it since there are so many new threads today.

If I'm Pegula, the only way McD keeps his job today is if he fires BOTH coordinators and goes back to being the HC running the whole team and working the details.

Fire Dorsey, move out of DC. Promote Shula/Brady to OC and Bobby Babich to DC for the rest of the year, and see how it goes.

It will at least tell Pegula whether he needs to be starting the search for a new HC, or just new OC.

He was supposed to be doing that when he had coordinators that were good. His attention to details is poor at best. Time for him to go.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think the season is shot, so honestly whatever they do is just to stop the bleeding. 

Dorsey should have been gone before the Bengals game, but absolutely needed to be canned after. Last night was just more of the same disappointment.  Dumb people will blame Allen, but it's a scheme issue and smarter people than me have shown it. Get him out of here before he breaks Allen's confidence any more.

McD can stick around for the rest of the season and lead the tank, I don't care.  After the season though he needs to be shown the door and we need to bring in an offensive HC who maximize Allen.  Hell I'd be fine with bringing back Daboll if he gets canned, not my first choice but better than whatever the hell this is. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

I maintain that it all started with McDorsey neutering Josh’s running early in the season. Taking Josh’s running threat away completely disrupted Allen’s processing and mojo. I was never ok with that and now Allen is a complete head case (other reasons as well).

13 seconds

12 men

It’s time for McD to go and take Dorsey with him.

It’s increasingly obvious this is the case.

Some of the local Twitter analysts are already posting videos of plays. The Bills have a high school offense at best. Dorsey’s route trees and play designs are shockingly bad.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mango said:

I am not sure it matters who the receiver is. The second INT was on Josh. Aikman said “every QB knows it”. Both Manning’s said the similar. You don’t throw that ball. 

it doesn’t - my point wasn’t that diggs catches it, but that when we are schematically messed up and expect Josh to make hero throws vs play like a turtle at some point it’s going to pay off with trash outcomes. 

I’m not absolving Josh but I do think it’s a hell of a lot more productive to change the coordinator and watch the outcomes change than any other route here - and I think it’s likely to see 5-10 of the head scratcher throws clear up near immediately with another oc

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is absolutely the right take.  And if he doesn't do it, as you say, fire him right now.  But one more thing:  fire the ST coach too.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

Sign o' the times. I'm googling "how to stop being a sports fan"...

I feel physically and emotionally hungover after last nights game. And I didn't drink any alcohol.   Trying to forget, rationalize, keep a positive attitude all have their place in dealing with the suckage we saw play out last night.

but right now I just feel defeated.  At least there is a place we can all vent.  The lack of control we fans have make all our angst futile as far as changing anything but our own mindset

so what can I do at the top of my lungs in my own living room today?  VENT. And google above. I bet it says "take up a different hobby.

NO I'm not going to learn *&&%$%%^&&* knitting.   BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 

smh

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love following Buffalo, you know. 

I'm sure Superbowls are fun and all that. But the ride of following the Bills is something else. 

Even going to my first game in London and - within 10 minutes - seeing my favourite player, Milano, getting ended. I mean, you just can't account for all this can you? It's just the Buffalo way 🤣

Edited by Bill Grundy

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I guess it was better getting their heads kicked in by 30 points on a weekly basis in those other years 3 times as frequently.

Wrong team. The Bills always kept games close during the drought. That was without a QB. Give any of them Allen and the results are as good or better. 

5 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Wrong team. The Bills always kept games close during the drought. That was without a QB. Give any of them Allen and the results are as good or better. 

"Always"? 

Guess you don't remember the games like I do then.

Was the 49-28 loss to the Patriots close?  The 30-0 loss?  The 52-28 loss? The 38-7 loss? The 56-10 loss? 

The 26-3 loss to Pittsburgh?

The 36-14 loss to Jacksonville?

The 38-21 loss to the Giants?

Want me to keep going? I got a whole lot more to give you.

Some of the games were close...many were blowout losses

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

half the turnovers have been schematically ridiculous 

did the 5’6 but highly agile harty get his only target on a deep out with 45 seconds and no timeouts so every defender would be on the perimeter? Throw a long low developing pass to the guy that’s tiny and working in a phone booth at that point?

and how were we not kicking into the end zone? 

sure 12 men is a mistake for the history books but the whole things a coaching disaster

This was INFURIATING.

My buddy said "bad decision/throw by Josh", but I'm wondering WhoTF is deciding to send our 5'6" WR on an out like that?

Harty should be used on either 1. short gadget plays (end arounds, bubble screens, etc) or 2. deep shots where he is burning down the field in a straight line.

The fact he was on the field, running that route is gross negligence and incompetence by the OC.

This is what Josh means by "I'm just running the plays that are called". WTF else is he supposed to do when the coaches are sending in that player personnel, and putting those players on those routes? He can only audible and call plays on the fly so much. He cant re-design the whole Offense while trying to play the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This was INFURIATING.

My buddy said "bad decision/throw by Josh", but I'm wondering WhoTF is deciding to send our 5'6" WR on an out like that?

THANK YOU. 

I'm on a text thread with a lot of my friends from growing up in Buffalo about the Bills. Everyone was blowing up with "Allen what are you doing!?" and things of that manner. 

I said essentially the same thing you just did "Why are they calling that play? Josh has been picked on that spot like 4 times this season and you have the shortest guy on the team running that route."

I don't give a damn if there are built in "answers" or if the 3rd/4th guy in the progression is open on that play, when your QB can't execute it and has shown that it confuses him into making the wrong decision, STOP CALLING THE FREAKING PLAY DORSEY. 

Ugh. 

Edited by Bruffalo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Watch the fake Twitter accounts today everyone.

I doubt we make any kind of move on a short week, but I’d be beyond shocked if Dorsey was on the staff after the bye week. 

I think Dorsey is canned and Pegs pays close attention to how the team rallies. They didn’t look like a group of guys fighting for their HC last night. 

This is sensible stuff 

as bad as it seems and feels,  we're literally a handful of plays from being 8-2. Also handful of plays from being 3-7...

It's not like teams are running us over but we're killing ourselves in close games.. 

The only optimism is this is fixable and we have (barely any) hope that they figure it out and win the division or sneak in as a WC. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

"Always"? 

Guess you don't remember the games like I do then.

Was the 49-28 loss to the Patriots close?  The 30-0 loss?  The 52-28 loss? The 38-7 loss? The 56-10 loss? 

The 26-3 loss to Pittsburgh?

The 36-14 loss to Jacksonville?

The 38-21 loss to the Giants?

Want me to keep going? I got a whole lot more to give you.

Some of the games were close...many were blowout losses

And yet, I still had more confidence in Chan, Fitz, and ol Steve to do his thing, than I do right now with these jabronis under Dorsey/McD.

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

as bad as it seems and feels,  we're literally a handful of plays from being 8-2. Also handful of plays from being 3-7...

It's not like teams are running us over but we're killing ourselves in close games.. 

The only optimism is this is fixable and we have (barely any) hope that they figure it out and win the division or sneak in as a WC. 

We keep it close because we have TALENT. It's fixable because we have TALENT.

But it will take redoing the coaching staff to fix it. We'll see if/when Terry pulls that lever.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This was INFURIATING.

Harty should be used on either 1. short gadget plays (end arounds, bubble screens, etc) or 2. deep shots where he is burning down the field in a straight line.

The fact he was on the field, running that route is gross negligence and incompetence by the OC.

This is what Josh means by "I'm just running the plays that are called". WTF else is he supposed to do when the coaches are sending in that player personnel, and putting those players on those routes? He can only audible and call plays on the fly so much. He cant re-design the whole Offense while trying to play the game.

I’m sure we will see shots of guys running with space - who knows if they are even a read on the play or the space is on schedule - and downplay the continued systematic misuse of play calls and personnel packages. 

the design is a mess. The qb is playing uncomfortably because of it. 

• Agree 1

Not sure how many canucks are on the board, but if anyone watches the Canadian version of Sportscenter, we have Luke Wilson (former Seahawks TE) always on post-game.  He has ALWAYS called out the McDermott Bills for their lack of fundamentals with a championship caliber squad.  Since 2020 he has been harping that the Bills have always been terrible with the basics and have only been as good as they are just on sheer talent.  He called last night's game (and this season), the "coming home to roost" year.  He has been very critical of McDermott because he preaches fundamentals but nothing he sees on the Bills show that.

It's just more proof that this franchise needs to move away from the McDermott era ASAP.  He had his role, he changed the culture but its clear he lacks the ability to not drive a Porsche like it's a Datsun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

It is fixable but not this year. New HC, OC, DC after the season and then they can start to fix things. Won't happen with the current coaches.

19 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I get what you're saying, but what about this team makes you think they will be good enough at any phase (coaching included) to make a run against the opponents we have upcoming?

This team is better off if they decide to tear it down, as opposed to trying to backdoor their way into a WC spot

21 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And yet, I still had more confidence in Chan, Fitz, and ol Steve to do his thing, than I do right now with these jabronis under Dorsey/McD.

But it will take redoing the coaching staff to fix it. We'll see if/when Terry pulls that lever.

The #1 thing that will stop the cascade and reverse it would be to have McD give up DC duties and go back to overall management of the team only.  It's no coincidence all of this stuff is snowballing as he continues to try to do the Travis Kelce "Two things at once!" and it's not going well at all.  Name a coach on the defense DC for the season and make it an audition for the job next year.  

All of these detail oriented/focus/things slipping thru the cracks are a direct result of lack of oversight on things that continues to degrade little by little as he continues to not do it as effectively as he once did.  This all started in pre-season and maybe training camp and has snowballed thru the pre-season and season.  Only way to reverse it is for him to go back to team focus and not trying to do 2 things.  Even Reid always has an OC that does most of the heavy lifting during the week in terms of game prep, etc.  McD trying to do all of this on his own is simply too much and leading to everything else crumbling around the team.

• Like (+1) 2

The announcer said something that summed it up nicely for me 

"Buffalo has tried everything they possibly can to lose this game, but the defence just hasn't let them"

Pithy and felt spot on, up to that last drive. 

Also ... 

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The #1 thing that will stop the cascade and reverse it would be to have McD give up DC duties and go back to overall management of the team only.  It's no coincidence all of this stuff is snowballing as he continues to try to do the Travis Kelce "Two things at once!" and it's not going well at all.  Name a coach on the defense DC for the season and make it an audition for the job next year.  

All of these detail oriented/focus/things slipping thru the cracks are a direct result of lack of oversight on things that continues to degrade little by little as he continues to not do it as effectively as he once did.  This all started in pre-season and maybe training camp and has snowballed thru the pre-season and season.  Only way to reverse it is for him to go back to team focus and not trying to do 2 things.  Even Reid always has an OC that does most of the heavy lifting during the week in terms of game prep, etc.  McD trying to do all of this on his own is simply too much and leading to everything else crumbling around the team.

I mean, this has to be it. 

We're the only team in the NFL doing this (I think). And we're the only team in the NFL that *looks* like it's doing it. 

Edited by Bill Grundy

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What about the GM?

38 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No chance McD gets fired this year. Maybe Dorsey after the bye if the O looks dreadful. 

We need to go 5-2 in the last 7 , we certainly have the talent to do so. It comes down to Allen imo. He has been very mediocre and while Dorsey deserves blame, I've watched him routinely miss or not even attempt a throw to wide open wrs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.