Bills sign DT Linval Joseph---Elam to IR

Process

I love all the negative posters coming in here and craping on this signing without doing any research when we have been discussing this all day. For those new to this discussion, Joseph came in "off the couch" last year for Philadelphia and played really well. He's extending his career by waiting for contending teams to have a need at his position and coming in and playing a half-season. There are a bunch of guys doing that. Last year, when the Eagles did this with Joseph and Suh everyone here said that Roseman was a genius. Now, when Beane does it, it's desperation. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

I love all the negative posters coming in here and craping on this signing without doing any research when we have been discussing this all day. For those new to this discussion, Joseph came in "off the couch" last year for Philadelphia and played really well. He's extending his career by waiting for contending teams to have a need at his position and coming in and playing a half-season. There are a bunch of guys doing that. Last year, when the Eagles did this with Joseph and Suh everyone here said that Roseman was a genius. Now, when Beane does it, it's desperation. 

There is no universe where this was a bad signing haha 

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

For a team that had "No money" Beane did well.

Rasul Douglas

Leonard Fournette

Linval Joseph

Seeing Beane pressing so hard to replace from the outside instead of letting "next man up" dwindle the season is refreshing. Wonder if there's more pressure behind the scenes to win now than in years past?

I still have to think there is a move or 2 left to make.  LB and an offensive weapon maybe?

13 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I agree with all of this but would also point out that trying to enlighten miserable, whiny stooges is probably a waste of your time and energy, because no matter what you do or say, they are still going to be miserable, whiny stooges. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Hey I prematurely shot my mouth off about our new DB. I studied him and found he was a dang good signing that may eventually play safety for us for awhile sometime down the road

14 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I still have to think there is a move or 2 left to make.  LB and an offensive weapon maybe?

Now I think you're just being greedy,😂.

Beane has made moves to replace 2 out of the 3 lost stars on defense. Made a move to replace Harris (and maybe be a bigger chess piece). He's done well. At some point you need to say...ok this is what we got...go win.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

On LB, I think we have what we have.  I think the Bills feel the strategy of platooning Dodson and Poyer as a "dime" backer will get them through.  They may also have hopes that Williams will continue to improve.

Offensive weapon, we picked up Fournette.  He had 523 receiving yards and 73 receptions on 83 targets last season, of which 563 were YAC (nope not a typo)

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

He ready for Sunday night ?!?!?

I know , right !

he and Douglas . maybe some Fournette -ings drizzled in  

Beanes makes loving fun

Loving the Bills I mean !

21 minutes ago, Simon said:

I agree with all of this but would also point out that trying to enlighten miserable, whiny stooges is probably a waste of your time and energy, because no matter what you do or say, they are still going to be miserable, whiny stooges. :thumbsup:

Again , calling me out 🤣

very stoked over here about these very worthwhile signings

and 

Fire Dorsey !! 

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Hey I prematurely shot my mouth off about our new DB. I studied him and found he was a dang good signing that may eventually play safety for us for awhile sometime down the road

No need to apologize,  happens a lot around here..🤣

Welcome aboard!😉

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

No need to apologize,  happens a lot around here..🤣

Welcome aboard!😉

I was one as well.

But i was focused on the Bears Kid in my defense.

Seems like a very very nice fit for McDs  scheme.  

Edit for clarification

I feel Douglas is a very good fit for Bills defense 👍

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

Yet another solid Beane move.   This guy and his scouts have done and continue to do solid work .   Posters on this board go nuts and want shiny objects they saw once on Sunday night football; Beane just goes about his business and the reasonably priced talent keeps rolling in.   Benford, Bernard (BTW, Edmunds making the same non-plays for da Bears in case you haven't been watching), Kincaid, Torrance, Edwards, Floyd, etc etc. 

Trust the Process.   It works.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

They would be happier being Eagles fans so either they are happy being unhappy or happier making others unhappy.

This board needs an enforcer poster to give some sad sacks a good check into the wall.

8 minutes ago, gjv said:

Why didn't we sign Joseph the week after the Jacksonville game?

Because he does not want to play full seasons.  Hard to sign players who do not want to play yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The OP mentioned Elam to IR. So I will ask here since the other Elam thread is receiving next to no traction.

1. When was Elam injured?

2. did that hamper his play this season  in your opinion, Or does he simply suck.

3. Can a player be added to the IR and NOT be injured?

**stirring the pot** @JakeFrommStateFarm

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

Excellent Smithers, 

DT

RB

CB 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

The OP mentioned Elam to IR. So I will ask here since the other Elam thread is receiving next to no traction.

2. did that hamper his play this season  in your opinion, Or does he simply suck.

He's been on a injury report since the week leading into the Pats game with an ankle injury. So if this is some elaborate scheme, they have been plotting this for a while.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

fyi:

‘“Not everything’s been perfect, and he has had a nagging ankle,” Beane said. “We’re discussing whether to shut him down or not and let it heal. So he has been a scratch, I wouldn’t say he’s been a 100% healthy scratch, part of it has been it hasn’t worked out perfectly in the games so far.”’

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

1) McD said its been several weeks

2) It certainly didn't help but that isn't the only reason.

3) No, but the injury doesn't need to be of any specific severity to add them. At this point in the season pretty much everyone qualifies for IR since they all have some sort of injury they are dealing with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

He's been on a injury report since the week leading into the Pats game with an ankle injury. So if this is some elaborate scheme, they have been plotting this for a while.

So did he just get injured in the one game he actually played in and now they're sending him to IR like that's what the problem was all along? Because he didn't play for at least the first month or that thread needs to change it's name.

14 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Yet another solid Beane move.   This guy and his scouts have done and continue to do solid work .   Posters on this board go nuts and want shiny objects they saw once on Sunday night football; Beane just goes about his business and the reasonably priced talent keeps rolling in.   Benford, Bernard (BTW, Edmunds making the same non-plays for da Bears in case you haven't been watching), Kincaid, Torrance, Edwards, Floyd, etc etc. 

Trust the Process.   It works.  

Says you !

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So did he just get injured in the one game he actually played in and now they're sending him to IR like that's what the problem was all along? Because he didn't play for at least the first month or that thread needs to change it's name.

Banged Up Bills speculated it sounded like a bone bruise that just wasn't healing well by continuing to try and play on it.

Edited by Big Turk

5 minutes ago, JaBu said:

fyi:

‘“Not everything’s been perfect, and he has had a nagging ankle,” Beane said. “We’re discussing whether to shut him down or not and let it heal. So he has been a scratch, I wouldn’t say he’s been a 100% healthy scratch, part of it has been it hasn’t worked out perfectly in the games so far.”’

so basically a combination of a bad ankle AND not playing up to his draft status. the 2 bolded read analogous to me.  Dang I hope he does better next year with some experience, health and tutoring by vets.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He played in two games. He played in London and against the Giants. He got hurt in the Giants game.

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Banged Up Bills speculated it sounded like a bone bruise that just wasn't healing well by continuing to try and play on it.

dang that sounds painful. and logical that playing would aggravate it.

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

1) McD said its been several weeks

2) It certainly didn't help but that isn't the only reason.

3) No, but the injury doesn't need to be of any specific severity to add them. At this point in the season pretty much everyone qualifies for IR since they all have some sort of injury they are dealing with.

Thank you.

Does that mean Elam is eligible to come back in 4 weeks ?

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Thank you.

Does that mean Elam is eligible to come back in 4 weeks ?

Yes, anyone going to IR is now eligible to come back after 4 weeks. Only caveat is a team can only have a maximum of 8 players return from IR in a season and the same player can only go to IR and return from it a maximum of 2 times. The 3rd time it is season ending.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The Thursday signing of him makes me wonder if we were in on Leonard Williams or another DT.   

I think that there is no doubt that this is true. They probably had similar offers and let Williams pick his landing spot. He’s a west coast guy who played at USC. So, he wasn’t coached by Carroll there, but he was probably recruited by him. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.