Bills signing Fournette (for real this time)

Process

7 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The more I think about this signing, the more I think it's about 11 personnel

Cook struggles pass blocking at the moment and fournette can pass block very well, while also being a threat as a receiver 

I mean the pick up can't hurt. Really nothing to lose here. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Cook struggles pass blocking at the moment and fournette can pass block very well, while also being a threat as a receiver 

Agree with the value of a pass-blocking RB, but not with the specific 11-personnel grouping in mind. That's a bit too narrow and contemporaneous.

Big, experienced, physical (and kinda slow) RBs like Fournette have appealed to this regime since McD's arrival. Maybe even Fournette himself has been on our radar previously? 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agree with the value of a pass-blocking RB, but not with the specific 11-personnel grouping in mind. That's a bit too narrow and contemporaneous.

Big, experienced, physical (and kinda slow) RBs like Fournette have appealed to this regime since McD's arrival. Maybe even Fournette himself has been on our radar previously? 

The man ran a 4.5 40 at 240 lbs. That's not slow!! His ability to impose his will on DBs/LBs trying to tackle him one on one is a part of the game you can't take lightly. The playaction and RPO game is going to make the LBs hesitate dropping into coverage opening up the middle of the field for Kincaid/Shakir. This was a down low shrewd move by the Bills. We should see his immediate impact on defenses if he's up to speed in the Bengals game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The man ran a 4.5 40 at 240 lbs. That's not slow!! His ability to impose his will on DBs/LBs trying to tackle him one on one is a part of the game you can't take lightly. The playaction and RPO game is going to make the LBs hesitate dropping into coverage opening up the middle of the field for Kincaid/Shakir. This was a down low shrewd move by the Bills. We should see his immediate impact on defenses if he's up to speed in the Bengals game. 

How fast is he at 265 lol?

I'm kidding of course. I like the addition. I was only suggesting that a specific personnel grouping was likely not on Beane's radar in signing this player.

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Maybe watch his 2022 highlights... 🤷

PHYSICALITY!! 

Feel free to share a salient clip or two. My recollection is that he was able to drop weight (lol) and be the most productive RB they had as the 2022 season went on. His pass blocking and catching are underrated and often underutilized strengths of his game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Mike Tolbert is the guy that I envision when I think of this type of player.  I'd be really surprised if Fournette is as bad as that experiment was.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

Leonard moves zero needles for me.   honestly dont know what he brings that we actually need.

They didn’t sign him to the 53. The worst thing that can happen is that they bring him onto the PS and find out he’s done and they cut him. Nothing lost. Anything more is pure positive. 

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Where are all of these screen handles coming from that I’ve never heard of but actually have a Post counts

What was your screen handle before you changed it?

You can see name history. This one’s most recent name was Bookie tech. But the one you really want to know is that that @Bogie_Klinkhammer is House.

10 hours ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

correct.   Fournette not much as a runner, but on passing downs, Brady relied on him a great deal; he is great after the catch

• Like (+1) 1

He had 1200 all purpose yards and 6 TDs last year. 73 catches. 

1300 and 10 TDs the year before.

Can give you 70 catches per year from the RB position. 

Not and never has been a YPC guy. 

Love the signing and love the timing and ease in on PS. Could be some meat for a playoff push. He's not washed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

the problem is Cook is not a good pass blocker 

Right.  I get it. I just don't know how detrimental it is. I don't notice Allen getting pressured more when Cook is out there, but I'm sure it's possible.  

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Right.  I get it. I just don't know how detrimental it is. I don't notice Allen getting pressured more when Cook is out there, but I'm sure it's possible.  

It's detrimental to the offense because it becomes a tell of what your offense is doing and more importantly Josh Allen doesn't trust him to block a guy and instantly leaves the pocket if he sees a guy blitz that cook needs to pick up

He's a great back for a passing offense.   He runs hard, blocks well, and is a reliable safety valve.  His career catch rate is around 80% and slightly more than half his catches result in first downs.   When he's not protecting the QB, he's moving the chains.  

As for being washed, his rush yards per attempt last year behind a bad OL was only 3.5.  That may be cause for concern.   But otherwise, his performance last season was fine: 1,191 total yards, 88% catch rate, 55% success rate...   

www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FourLe00.htm

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Agreed.  Fournette in the backfield (who can also catch) and Cook out wide.  You'd have Diggs, Shakir, Cook and Davis if 4 wide. Kincaid  at TE.    

Yeah agree I would split Cook out wide more. Now teams can't dial in on the run as you could also hand off to Fournette.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.