The Knox injury unfortunately has changed this offense for the better

FireChans

It sucks that Knox is injured. I like him as a player.

But it’s clear that without Knox, we are no longer forcing 12 personnel, which has clearly been holding this offense back. 

Unfortuantelt, we may see the 12 return when Knox gets healthy because Dorsey is going to have to include him and Kincaid. But the biggest difference tonight was 11 personnel. Dorsey is still Dorsey. this team is just better at 11 as currently constructed.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 15
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

Was it the 12 personnel or was it running an up tempo offense that let Allen have time to scan the defense and break it down.

Well we couldn’t use 12 today. But today seemed way more uptempo. Josh was calling way more audibles and seemed to be really fired up 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

100 percent agreed

When the bills drafted Kincaid I was a bit nervous about 12 personnel as Josh likes throwing to WRs.

Time to roll with 11 and use Kincaid over Knox when Knox does return 

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Was it the 12 personnel or was it running an up tempo offense that let Allen have time to scan the defense and break it down.

I think it’s both.

When they were doing 12, they were doing a lot of subbing. Seemed like they were letting defences dictating terms as they matched with them.

With this 11/ no huddle, it seemed like it was “this is our offence, good luck stopping us”

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Was it the 12 personnel or was it running an up tempo offense that let Allen have time to scan the defense and break it down?

We've seen the hurry up be effective when Knox was around in the last 3 weeks.

A combination of both. It’s clear as day though that Kincaid is the better route runner and better hands. He should be on the field either as a TE or slot WR at all times. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

But it’s clear that without Knox, we are no longer forcing 12 personnel, which has clearly been holding this offense back. 

Unfortuantelt, we may see the 12 return when Knox gets healthy because Dorsey is going to have to include him and Kincaid. But the biggest difference tonight was 11 personnel. Dorsey is still Dorsey. this team is just better at 11 as currently constructed.

It wasn’t that much better in the end, I think it just felt like that because they got off to a better start. 

They had 3 tremendous opportunities to kill the game in the 4th and came up empty on all of those drives. 

Make no mistake, this offense still has big problems. 

• Agree 7

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It wasn’t that much better in the end, I think it just felt like that because they got off to a better start. 

They had 3 tremendous opportunities to kill the game in the 4th and came up empty on all of those drives. 

Getting off to a better start is hugely important lol, did you watch the last 3 weeks?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Getting off to a better start is hugely important lol, did you watch the last 3 weeks?

Sure, but then our last 3 drives just took the place of 1st quarter incompetence. 

A top offense on what’s supposed to be a SB contender has to kill the game on one of those drives. 

There’s still a lot wrong here. 

Offense looked like they have that electric factor back with 11 and/or up-tempo.  

The stalled drives up 14 were frustrating, but on one of them we got absolutely screwed by the non-Offside call. 

Still .. they have to be more effective and not have these lulls. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Sure, but then our last 3 drives just took the place of 1st quarter incompetence. 

A top offense on what’s supposed to be a SB contender has to kill the game on one of those drives. 

There’s still a lot wrong here. 

That’s why I said Dorsey is still Dorsey.

We didn’t see the Bills put up 10 points through 55 minutes tonight. That’s an improvement.

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think if you use them in a spread offense like we did a lot tonite it could work well.

21 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It sucks that he’s injured…And I don’t like him as a player…😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I agree. It is not because Knox was bad, it is just because we look better with 1 TE and 3WR, than we do with 2TE and 2 WR. This was the Offense we all know and love.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

If McD goes for it on either of these early 4th QTR 4th downs in plus territory, I believe they

get ‘em and rhe Bills win by 28. O was playing well. Just got ultra conservative

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

Henry seals up the victory if we had him tonight. I still hope we trade for him. Henry+Cook is dangerous. 

Hunter Henry?

We would have like 33 million dollars tied up to the TE position, with how many traded draft picks/investments at TE.

If you weren’t talking about HH, my apologies 

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I agree. It is not because Knox was bad, it is just because we look better with 1 TE and 3WR, than we do with 2TE and 2 WR. This was the Offense we all know and love.  

We look better spreading the field and going no huddle 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Agreed. 

I’m not sure what the reason is, I haven’t broken it down enough.

it was kind of a good idea in principle. League is getting smaller and faster and try to play on that. We just either don’t have the horses, the coaches, or even the QB for that type O.

Either way, it’s on the shelf for a while.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Agree.

This offense was nowhere near good enough though to confirm it’s better with Knox on the bench. 

oh yeah it’s definitely not better. I’m hoping for more Shakir and 11p after Knox comes back, but not being able to run 12p makes us way more 1 dimensional.

Knox will come back as the 5th option in the offense and doing a lot of the blocking and grinding work that he does well. And that’s a perfect spot for him to be in. Shakir and Kincaid and reliable slot options and Gabe may not be the stud WR2 we all hoped he could be but he still is a solid WR and adds that outside presence. 

Assuming Knox comes back in December I hope they use him as a “utility” player along with a second TE. Using him as a full back of lining up in more creative spaces where he can block or leak out for easy catches. 

I still think Knox has a place in the offense just has to be used differently.

Just now, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Kincaid and Shakir gathering more targets is a good thing.  Just to play some devil's advocate though, we are going to see some MUCH better D-lines than Tampa's going forward and Knox will be missed there.

Certainly, but the counterpoint would be that if Josh can release it as fast as he was tonight, he’s gonna neutralize a lot of DL’s.

• Agree 1

Kincaid is certainly playing well,  but I tend to think that a large part of it has also been Khalil Shakir.  This is a team that has lost three good WRs over the last couple of years and made minimal effort to replace them.  Now that Shakir appears to be stepping up,  providing Josh with a competent, reliable 3rd option at WR,  it's no surprise that the offense looks better. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.