Rumors swirling that Elam will be a scratch tonight for Norman. Trade coming?

Roundybout

43 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I agree, however it would have looked fairly routine if the ball was thrown better

That's one thing about PI that drives me crazy.  Brady took advantage of it for years.

Wise coaches should take advantage of the rules

QB throws it short uncatchable and have the WR "try" to come back for the ball.    DB isn't turned yet....automatic big penalty 

This is what I was expecting when we gave Tampa the ball back with 31 seconds left. The stupid camera-hungry refs throwing a flag on a bomb that was never going to be caught. We see it every week.

52 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I agree, however it would have looked fairly routine if the ball was thrown better

That's one thing about PI that drives me crazy.  Brady took advantage of it for years.

QB throws it short uncatchable and have the WR "try" to come back for the ball.    DB isn't turned yet....automatic big penalty 

That call should be eliminated. It is in my opinion the worst rule in the NFL because it rewards poor athletic play (inaccurate, underthrown passes) and meta-gaming -- that is, incentivizing QBs to make bad throws to get an easy call. I hate it. It cost the Bills vs. Tampa in 2021 when they called it on Levi Wallace in OT (and Wallace didn't actually touch the receiver). It was a poor throw by Brady, but it was deliberate because he's smart enough to exploit bad rules that make it unfair for defenders.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This still makes NO sense to me.

Elam actually looked pretty good last season over stretches.  He was good in the wildcard.

What's the deal? 

McDermott's Doghouse is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Getting in is a matter of much speculation, but getting out is like trying to navigate yourself to freedom from the Bermuda triangle. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

McDermott's Doghouse is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Getting in is a matter of much speculation, but getting out is like trying to navigate yourself to freedom from the Bermuda triangle. 🤷‍♂️

Just ask Zack Moss.....and now look how well he is doing in Indy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This still makes NO sense to me.

Elam actually looked pretty good last season over stretches.  He was good in the wildcard.

What's the deal? 

Was he really THAT good? I keep hearing people saying he looked good. I thought he looked ok last season. But Calvin Ridley having his way with him in London basically made me see what the issue is

• Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Was he really THAT good? I keep hearing people saying he looked good. I thought he looked ok last season. But Calvin Ridley having his way with him in London basically made me see what the issue is

Real questions, did someone else on the Bills handle Ridley better.  Have other

teams handled Ridley better? I agree Elam was abused by Ridley,  I just don’t actually know how well Ridley is playing 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He played good enough for a rookie. He showed promise. Suddenly, that is now gone. It’s a mystery why. 

11 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Real questions, did someone else on the Bills handle Ridley better.  Have other

teams handled Ridley better? I agree Elam was abused by Ridley,  I just don’t actually know how well Ridley is playing 

He had a good game in week 1 and then again yesterday week 8. Weeks 2, 3 and 4 and then weeks 6 and 7, he did nothing

Week 1 8/101

Week 2 2/32

Week 3 3/40

Week 4 2/38

Week 5 7/122 (Bills Game)

Week 6 4/30

Week 7 1/5

Week 8 6/83

Arguably, hus best game against the Bills. Elam was torched by him all game other than one play where he torched Hyde on a deep ball after they took Kaiir out

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He had a good game in week 1 and then again yesterday week 8. Weeks 2, 3 and 4 and then weeks 6 and 7, he did nothing

Week 1 8/101

Week 2 2/32

Week 3 3/40

Week 4 2/38

Week 6 4/30

Week 7 1/5

Week 8 6/83

Arguably, hus best game against the Bills. Elam was torched by him all game other than one play where he torched Hyde on a deep ball after they took Kaiir out

Thank you for providing that information.

Obviously the position is weak, and I am not making a case for Elam.  But if no one else lined up against Ridley, and that was Elams only meaningful playing time, do fans really have any visible evidence that others on the Bills would have been better against Ridley? 

Edited by Chaos
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Week 1 8/101

Week 2 2/32

Week 3 3/40

Week 4 2/38

Week 6 4/30

Week 7 1/5

Week 8 6/83

He was beating Dane Jackson too. I'm surprised how some expected Elam to play like Deion Sanders while he hasn't played basically since the preseason. And unless he's practicing against Diggs, there's not another receiver on the Bills roster that run routes like Ridley. I consider that game for Elam a one off

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Thank you for providing that information.

Obviously the position is weak, and I am not making a case for Elam.  But if no one else lined up against Ridley, and that was Elams only meaningful playing time, do fans really have any visible evidence that others on the Bills would have been better against Ridley? 

Why does it matter? The guy has been deactivated for multiple games for a reason. His one chance with major playing time was a complete failure. Then he got torched on another deep ball against the Giants and had a bad pass interference penalty because he has always had issues with being too grabby. He is not a good player. I have provided Ridley's crappy stats for all but 2 games and you're still like "do we know other Bills would have handled them better?" Ridley did nothing against all but one other team lol

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This is all soooo true-  but if the CB DOES turn around…. You’re effed.  That’s why I don’t think many teams would intentionally do this

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

He was beating Dane Jackson too. I'm surprised how some expected Elam to play like Deion Sanders while he hasn't played basically since the preseason. And unless he's practicing against Diggs, there's not another receiver on the Bills roster that run routes like Ridley. I consider that game for Elam a one off

No one said for him to play like Deion Sanders. No one expected that. But when a guy keeps getting deactivated and then gets torched by a guy that has done nothing much of the season, you see why. If he was good, he would be playing. It's as simple as that. The Bills don't have some vendetta against Elam for no reason

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

No one said for him to play like Deion Sanders. No one expected that. But when a guy keeps getting deactivated and then gets torched by a guy that has done nothing much of the season, you see why. If he was good, he would be playing. It's as simple as that. The Bills don't have some vendetta against Elam for no reason

Like other posters said, he played well toward the end of last season and held his own against Tyreek Hill whom some consider the best receiver in the game today. We've seen McDermott get rid of very capable players for various unknown reasons (Wyatt Teller, Zack Moss, Zay Jones). And hold on to some not so good players (Peterman, Ford). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Like other posters said, he played well toward the end of last season and held his own against Tyreek Hill whom some consider the best receiver in the game today. We've seen McDermott get rid of very capable players for various unknown reasons (Wyatt Teller, Zack Moss, Zay Jones). And hold on to some not so good players (Peterman, Ford). 

Ok first off, how much of that game did he actually play against Tyreek? You do realize that White was back at that point, right? I'm sure he covered Tyreek for most of the game. Secondly, Tyreek was also targeted 15 times and had 7 catches and had a 3rd string QB throwing him passes. 

1 hour ago, Special K said:

Just ask Zack Moss.....and now look how well he is doing in Indy.

Don’t try to retcon how this board felt about Moss. I remember the parade of ire every time he got a touch and ran into the back of the o-line.

If he does get moved, I only want a player for player deal, no draft picks. Take a disappointing pick off of another team and hope he’s our second chapter of Jerry Hughes vs Kelvin Sheppard. DT Mazi Smith, CB Emmanuel Forbes, LB Devin Lloyd, etc.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Ok first off, how much of that game did he actually play against Tyreek? You do realize that White was back at that point, right? I'm sure he covered Tyreek for most of the game. Secondly, Tyreek was also targeted 15 times and had 7 catches and had a 3rd string QB throwing him passes. 

Week 3, 2022, Tre didn't play. 

2 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

If he does get moved, I only want a player for player deal, no draft picks. Take a disappointing pick off of another team and hope he’s our second chapter of Jerry Hughes vs Kelvin Sheppard. DT Mazi Smith, CB Emmanuel Forbes, LB Devin Lloyd, etc.

I'm all for a PFP swap with Elam and Mazi. They need CB help and we need DT help. Doubt it would come to fruition though.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Don’t try to retcon how this board felt about Moss. I remember the parade of ire every time he got a touch and ran into the back of the o-line.

Board can only go off what they see and sometimes that has a lot to do with when and how McD uses them. I remember this board thinking Beane was a genius for trading Wyatt Tellar before the season started, obviously it was a huge mistake by the end of the season. 

I remember McD sitting Tyrod telling us how much confidence he has in Peterman because of how well he practices. Lmao! Then he named him the starter opening week following season. Sometimes McD just has no ***** clue

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dillenger4 said:

Benjamin Allbright reporting that Bills, SF and Cowboys are "in on CB Jaylon Johnson" from Da Bears. I looked further - some twitter saying Bills have made offer of: Elam and 2nd round pick for Johnson.

Hmmmmm.. Beaner up to a good deed?

Here’s a nice blurb about Johnson.  Looks like he can start right away as opposed to a rookie CB that McD won’t play for another two years.  😈

3 hours ago, wolfpack78 said:

What kind of coverage does Denver run?  Wondering if there is any scenario where they highly value Elam and would take him plus a day two pick for Surtain?

Not a chance! He was a first rounder and his value has only gone up.. maybe a 1st and Elam.. 

9 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Not a chance! He was a first rounder and his value has only gone up.. maybe a 1st and Elam.. 

If he's available, I think it will cost even more.  Elam and 2 premium picks, maybe 2 firsts to get him.  Even that might be low because the 1sts aren't likely to be that high.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BananaB said:

I have not watched the Broncos much but isn’t Surtain a press corner? If we trade for him do we have some of the same hiccups we have had with Elam? How long before McD trusts him with the playbook? 

Surtain can do anything, but it's not happening.  Denver will want multiple 1st round picks 

Surtain is a pipe dream so forget him…

In respect of Johnson… Spotrac have his market value at $7.7m per year … which admittedly seems low …

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/jaylon-johnson-47645/market-value/

I think around this figure could be doable for Beane … but probably means Tre is gone next year 

9 minutes ago, juno999 said:

If he's available, I think it will cost even more.  Elam and 2 premium picks, maybe 2 firsts to get him.  Even that might be low because the 1sts aren't likely to be that high.

I doubt he is even available. Top corners aren’t easy to replace.  Heck I’d say now yo need 2 top corners

25 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Even that isn't nearly enough apparently. Per Benjamin Albright, the reported price tag is Two 1st's plus a Pro Bowl Calibur Player "to even get the conversation started"

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/patrick-surtain-trade-rumor-dallas-cowboys-outrageous-asking-price-broncos-cost-deadline

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

Even that isn't nearly enough apparently. Per Benjamin Albright, the reported price tag is Two 1st's plus a Pro Bowl Calibur Player "to even get the conversation started"

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/patrick-surtain-trade-rumor-dallas-cowboys-outrageous-asking-price-broncos-cost-deadline

The only team I could see doing that is the Eagles  (cap doesn't seem to apply to them haha!)

Slay, Surtain and Byard

wow. Good luck throwing 

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

The only team I could see doing that is the Eagles  (cap doesn't seem to apply to them haha!)

Slay, Surtain and Byard

wow. Good luck throwing 

Cap isn't a problem. He's on a Rookie contract. Which is part of what makes the price tag so steep.

We're talking about a 23 year old, former top 10 pick, with a clean bill of health, only 2 and a half years of tread taken off the tires, on an inexpensive Rookie contract, that has 2 years remaining after this one, and was a 1st Team All Pro just last season at the premium CB position. 

That pretty much checks off all of the boxes on what makes someone have as steep of a price tag as you can get. Two 1st's and a Pro Bowl Calibur player in return doesn't shock me and is why I laugh anytime a Bills fan invokes his name.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.