Rumors swirling that Elam will be a scratch tonight for Norman. Trade coming?

Roundybout

29 minutes ago, balln said:

here comes some Reality

roussea is an adequate starter. He will never be dominant or consistently impactful. Sure if the qb holds the ball for a long while then he’ll make a sack. He has zero bend and zero moves

AJE is a JaG. again only if qb hold ball long enough and he’s playing a weak tackle. He is absolutely brutally bad against the run. Setting edge and playing misdirection 

Knox and Davis are mediocre . Do not seperarte and drop way too many passes 

Torrence has been solid. But he still gives me cody ford vibes

cook is a sub back in the nfl bc he can’t pass block. They’ve been starting murray the last two weeks….

Greg starting to get to that double digit realm as a rotational player

try again

Remember last year when we elevated Xavier Rhodes for one game and made Elam inactive, and Rhodes predictably looked like crap in his limited action? Then late in the season Elam looked like by far our best CB and made several game changing plays including a game winning INT in the playoffs?

I have no reason to believe this coaching staff knows what it is doing with this move. Just blindly throwing darts at the wall.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Cover1 had it first, then saw this report that Josh Norman is gonna be activated tonight: 

https://x.com/thebillsguys/status/1717597828724531307?s=46&t=RLsRhQJBb5vROsgfJWkwSw

If it’s true you have to think that’s the end of Elam here. A colossal waste and I’m not really happy with how we handled him at all. 

@HappyDays had it first. Cover1 just reads TBD. Hack job.

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not a salary cap wizard, but per Spotrac the dead cap number for Elam in '23 is $11.2 million. If he's traded they are responsible for at least the unamortized part of the signing bonus which would be almost $5.4 million. I think the total guaranteed money comes into play too and that may raise the dead cap number some more. 

Trading him would be challenging from a cap perspective. 

No team bats 1.000 on 1st rounders. White, Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, trading pick for Diggs, Rousseau and Kincaid all have been good. If you count Diggs as a hit, this regime is 7 for 8  or .875 with White, Rousseau and Kincaid (and Elam) being picks in the 20s. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

But yet in the Ravens game he was so good in zone that someone who breaks down game film for a living asked if Elam was a natural zone corner because the technique he was playing with was so good and so fluid...he also baited Jackson into an INT in that game by reading his eyes when he was in Cover 2 and sinking back to the deep receiver to pick him off. 

Two weeks later he picked off Mahomes in the end zone when he was inside the 10 yard line about to score...it hasn't been all bad.

Where did it all go wrong?  We can't say he sucked at zone because a guy who breaks down film for a living showed multiple examples of him playing it perfectly.

Who we talking about? Genuinely asking... Cover1?

Beane's philosophy with 1st round picks has pretty much always been to take big swings at supremely physically gifted athletes and trust that his coaching staff will develop them into quality pros.

Sometimes it works: Josh Allen, Greg Rousseau

Sometimes it doesn't: Tremaine Edmunds, Kaiir Elam

No team hits on 100% of their 1st round draft picks. No one. 

Yes, the Elam pick was a whiff. No, there's no spinning it any other way. But no, it doesn't need to be some huge indictment on the GM or the coaches. Sometimes, players bust. It happens. It's part of football.

Beane and the coaching staff helped limit the pain of the Elam pick by finding, drafting, and developing Christian Benford. Yes, you'd rather that the Elam pick had hit as well, but it didn't. That's life. That's the draft. Let's not turn simple arithmetic into complex algebra. You win some, you lose some.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

I'm not a salary cap wizard, but per Spotrac the dead cap number for Elam in '23 is $11.2 million. If he's traded they are responsible for at least the unamortized part of the signing bonus which would be almost $5.4 million. I think the total guaranteed money comes into play too and that may raise the dead cap number some more. 

Trading him would be challenging from a cap perspective. 

No team bats 1.000 on 1st rounders. White, Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, trading pick for Diggs, Rousseau and Kincaid all have been good. If you count Diggs as a hit, this regime is 7 for 8  or .875 with White, Rousseau and Kincaid (and Elam) being picks in the 20s. 

Diggs was a wash IMO you have him or Jefferson. (Assuming the Bills would have drafted their #1 WR of course) 

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But yet they lead the NFL in net point differential by a wide margin over a 3 year span.  Let that sink in for a minute.  All of these terrible picks and players and yet they have been the best team in the NFL by a wide margin over a 3 year period.  

Here is an interesting stat, in terms of draft pick retention from 2019-2022, the Bills fall right in the middle. A lot of complicated things are involved in this metric. Unsure on it's value. 

https://overthecap.com/draft-retention-rates-in-2022

As somebody who thinks we build the team with too many FA's I tend to see this as a little bit of an issues. Not that Beane has been terrible, but I don't think he has been remarkable either. We just seem to keep drafting the same positions high over and over. RB in the top 100 3 times. 3 DE's in the top 100 3 times. At the end of We are likely to only have 2 of those players on the 2024 roster. Look for a 4th maybe 5th top 100 DE in the next draft. 

was odd drafting a press corner in a defense that plays a lot of zone.  That said, McD should have been able to use him in zone schemes or use him to play man.  He also played very well in the playoffs last year.   This goes down as another round 1 head scratcher.     

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Here is an interesting stat, in terms of draft pick retention from 2019-2022, the Bills fall right in the middle. A lot of complicated things are involved in this metric. Unsure on it's value. 

https://overthecap.com/draft-retention-rates-in-2022

As somebody who thinks we build the team with too many FA's I tend to see this as a little bit of an issues. Not that Beane has been terrible, but I don't think he has been remarkable either. We just seem to keep drafting the same positions high over and over. RB in the top 100 3 times. 3 DE's in the top 100 3 times. At the end of We are likely to only have 2 of those players on the 2024 roster. Look for a 4th maybe 5th top 100 DE in the next draft. 

Yes we do and it's maddening.  Basham right after Groot, why?  Humphry sitting RIGHT THERE.  It's like, "well, one of these should hit."  Then get rid of Moss, who, shocker, looks good on another team with a real OL, then draft another RB.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, boyst said:

it's not common practice. look at how teams are being run and not doing so well. a lot depends on your owner being cash strapped.

look at carolina, atlanta, cleveland, detroit. all have similar rosters to us and have been failing as an organization.

So because of Terry’s deep pocket? Again, nothing that is outstanding from Beane

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.