Purdy in Concussion Protocol. Likely OUT this weekend.

BuffaloBillyG

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

Run the Tush Push they said. It's easy they said.  

The NFL is likely to use plays like this and what happens to the Giants when they lost 2 guys on a play like this to call the play "unsafe" and add restrictions IMO

As long as it doesn’t eat into the owners’ pocketbooks, which this won’t.  Safety thrown out the window when they can make more money though.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Great example of you NEVER know what your schedule looks like until you play the games. 

Bengals get SF without Purdy and Deebo. 

This is what yanks my chain.  Bills lose players the same week their opposition gets players back.  We have little luck in this area.

1 hour ago, Success said:

Honestly, Darnold is probably just as good w/ what they have set up there....

I disagree with this but still enjoy the irony of Mr Ghost Seer getting his first start on Halloween weekend. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The NFL is likely to use plays like this and what happens to the Giants when they lost 2 guys on a play like this to call the play "unsafe" and add restrictions IMO. 

QB sneaks have always seemed to me to be dangerous to the QB. For exactly what happened to Purdy. I wonder why teams don't do sneaks with RBs. Recall when they used to switch to the 2nd QB? I found that such a brutal concept. Here Joe, come off to bench to take a hit, then back you go. 

But I like what the Eagles are doing. Zero subtlety, all muscles. It's a few plays a game, just stop them if you can. 

15 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

QB sneaks have always seemed to me to be dangerous to the QB. For exactly what happened to Purdy. I wonder why teams don't do sneaks with RBs. Recall when they used to switch to the 2nd QB? I found that such a brutal concept. Here Joe, come off to bench to take a hit, then back you go. 

But I like what the Eagles are doing. Zero subtlety, all muscles. It's a few plays a game, just stop them if you can. 

Actually, the Panthers have done this a few times this year. They have pulled Bryce Young and let Andy Freaking Dalton come in for the QB sneak a few times. Rumor has it that they view Young as too small and not powerful enough to execute the play himself 😂

20 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

If I’m a linebacker in the NFL, I’m doing EXACTLY what that Viking LB did every time some QB tries a sneak….and it’s completely legal…for all intents and purposes he’d just be torpedoing himself into the pile, if he happens to hit the QB, oh well.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bob Jones said:

If I’m a linebacker in the NFL, I’m doing EXACTLY what that Viking LB did every time some QB tries a sneak….and it’s completely legal…for all intents and purposes he’d just be torpedoing himself into the pile, if he happens to hit the QB, oh well.

And the QB is by definition leading with his head. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The NFL is likely to use plays like this and what happens to the Giants when they lost 2 guys on a play like this to call the play "unsafe" and add restrictions IMO. 

Personally, I think it would be absurd to eliminate the "tush push" play.  I mean how soft can they make this game?  Just because one team is dominant in how they run it shouldn't result in taking it out of the game.  I mean are they going to take QB draws out of the game too?  Its not much different, especially from a safety stand point.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Personally, I think it would be absurd to eliminate the "tush push" play.  I mean how soft can they make this game?  Just because one team is dominant in how they run it shouldn't result in taking it out of the game.  I mean are they going to take QB draws out of the game too?  Its not much different, especially from a safety stand point.  

This was actually illegal in the good ole days when men were men.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-12-30/pushing-the-pile-nfl-rule-officiating

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly. Now, I could see them making a case that the shove from behind could contort or throw someone off balance leading to potential injury. But if the ban it from the QB sneak play they have to enforce it on all plays IMO. 

The thing most people don't realize is that at least with the Eagles, the shove isn't what's propelling Hurts. Dude is legit strong and grinding. I see some teams run it where the QB is just a battering ram. Not really that smart haha

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Exactly. Now, I could see them making a case that the shove from behind could contort or throw someone off balance leading to potential injury. But if the ban it from the QB sneak play they have to enforce it on all plays IMO. 

The thing most people don't realize is that at least with the Eagles, the shove isn't what's propelling Hurts. Dude is legit strong and grinding. I see some teams run it where the QB is just a battering ram. Not really that smart haha

Hurts is a workout warrior and squats as much as a bodybuilder. 

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Actually, the Panthers have done this a few times this year. They have pulled Bryce Young and let Andy Freaking Dalton come in for the QB sneak a few times. Rumor has it that they view Young as too small and not powerful enough to execute the play himself 😂

Didn't we used to sub in EJ Manuel to do hard counts and sometimes QB sneaks ? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Especially because it seems like only one team is capable of doing it is their getting their qb hurt!

it’s like should we eliminate passing because the Jets suck at it??? Makes zero sense. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Quite a lack of respect to a veteran!

12 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The thing most people don't realize is that at least with the Eagles, the shove isn't what's propelling Hurts. Dude is legit strong and grinding

On most of their tush plays, the Eagles OLine has pushed the pile 3-4-5 yards. Yeah, yeah, I know Hurts squats 600 pounds. But I've seen him been floating on top of the pile and/or dragged ha ha. Credit the OLine here. And Brady was THE king of QB sneaks. He just took the empty space, still the best way to do it unless you're 2 yards away like the Eagles do sometimes. 

16 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I could be mistaken, as I can't recall seeing a "tush push" from above, but I don't think that's a "tush push"

That seems more like a conventional QB sneak, badly executed.

And no, contrary to what one of the commenters on the first link said, the Vikes player was not dirty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I could be mistaken, as I can't recall seeing a "tush push" from above, but I don't think that's a "tush push"

That seems more like a conventional QB sneak, badly executed.

And no, contrary to what one of the commenters on the first link said, the Vikes player was not dirty.

It does look like a QB sneak. There's also a guy that runs in late looking like he's going to give a shove. There was bad execution all around it seems. The problem I see is in the preparation. I don't think teams practice the play near as much as Philly and timing is not the same. Heck just a few weeks ago Daboll said they ran it in a game and never really practiced it. Just a walkthrough. Result was a failed conversion and 2 players from the Giants injured on the play. Schmidtz has been out 3 weeks now. 

And agree. The Vikings defender wasn't taking a cheap shot. He's trying to make a play. Can't blame him. But, there is I believe some train of thought that the league can still point to a play like this and say "See, unsafe. Exposes the head." If they choose to act on it. 

17 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

How is it more dangerous than a normal QB sneak, and do sneaks have a high injury rate in general? The NFL usually targets plays with a high injury rate.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

How is it more dangerous than a normal QB sneak

I think physics sort of suggests that if a QB is being pushed from behind, there will be less opportunity for him to "give" from any significant impact from the front.

Newton's Cradle:

image.thumb.png.365880ae9bf74fd7729a543333762343.png

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I think physics sort of suggests that if a QB is being pushed from behind, there will be less opportunity for him to "give" from any significant impact from the front.

Newton's Cradle:

image.thumb.png.365880ae9bf74fd7729a543333762343.png

If the injury rate is high (which I doubt it is) the NFL will look at it, I'm sure.

If they actually end up changing the rule it will probably be from a competitive standpoint, which I think is BS, personally.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

If the injury rate is high (which I doubt it is) the NFL will look at it, I'm sure.

If they actually end up changing the rule it will probably be from a competitive standpoint, which I think is BS, personally.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I bet at some point an All-Pro QB is eventually going to get knocked out of a game doing this.

It may not have a real measurably higher injury rate, but that optic of losing a mealticket QB will result in pressure on the league to address it. 

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, my thought is that it's already against the rules to pull a player forward. I don't see a huge difference why a push should be allowed but a pull shouldn't. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

We kept lining up knox there for fake ones... why not just have him do it?  (yes I'm aware he's currently injured)

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I don't disagree with any of this, but I bet at some point an All-Pro QB is eventually going to get knocked out of a game doing this.

It may not have a real measurably higher injury rate, but that optic of losing a mealticket QB will result in pressure on the league to address it. 

I hope they don't cave and change it just because one prominent player gets injured.

That's one of the risks of the QB sneak. It's why you sometimes choose not to do it. It takes guts to line up and push head first into a pile of monstrous men. If you don't have the guts, run a different play.

Just like it used to take guts to run a route across the middle of the field because linebackers would punish you. Now, that aspect of football has been legislated out of the game. It's good to be more safe, but you lose something important from the game every time you make those changes. Eventually you just have to accept the fact that it is a violent game and move on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.