Bills now Vegas betting favorites to land Derrick Henry

Alphadawg7

1 minute ago, Nephilim17 said:

That's pretty damn interesting, Henry and Hopkins...

So what would you give up for that? I'd say, given that Henry appears to be an FA next year and Hopkins seems to have a 2024 year (but the Titans have to eat a lot of dead cap) and I could be WAY off base, but I'd give up...

a 2nd, a 3rd, Davis (not sure if he holds value).

Or... A 2nd, and Cook. Just off the top of my head. Don't want to lose a 1st but those two guys would make us very dangerous.

In theory.

I thought Hopkins didn’t have any guarantees next year (but I’m probably wrong) 

I’d be shocked if we traded Davis.  I’d prefer to keep him, because when he’s on….he’s really on. Usually any game Nantz calls haha. He would be a solid WR3 instead of WR2

Hopkins maybe a 4th and 7th

Henry maybe a 2nd and 6th

Titans retain some $

divide the picks between 2024 and 2025 

it really depends on what other AFC teams are interested

but that seems reasonable to me

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

I wouldn’t hate it.  I don’t know if we can make the moves necessary to get the defense up to respectability with the all injuries. So why not just ram rod it down teams throats.  The Henry, Cook and Allen backfield would make teams have to respect the run which would definitely open up the deep stuff that teams have been playing to stop recently.  

I think Knox being out could be a bit of a blessing if we can get another RB in the room.

After seeing Kincaid “go off” (using that lightly) against the Pats; I would love to see us regularly see looks with Diggs, Kincade, Cook, and Murray. Harris going out made that difficult because we need another back to spell the other 2. Being able to have Henry in the mix could be huge even if he’s lost a step. 

But from a personnel perspective, if the defense goes big we should be able to split Kincaid/Cook out/get them in space, and if they go nickel and should be able to pound the rock. I’d run a lot of play action and boot legs. 

At that point Davis, Harty, Sherfield, Shakir all become role players, targeted to attack certain looks. I’d run a lot of play action and boot legs. 

That said, it seems like McBeane dating back to Daboll have a kink for receiving backs only to never actually dress them or throw them the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

for the last time….

Simmons signed a 4 year 94 mil deal in the spring. Titans would take an insane dead cap hit if he was traded.  

According to Sportrac it would be $4.8 million dead cap this year and $19.2 next year if they traded him. Definitely unlikely as he is young and just signed that new contract and would likely cost our first rounder. But they did just take on $8.8 million this year and $13.3 million next year in dead cap with the Byard trade. So I’d say unlikely but possible.

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’d be shocked if we traded Davis.  I’d prefer to keep him, because when he’s on….he’s really on. Usually any game Nantz calls haha. He would be a solid WR3 instead of WR2

Titans retain some $

I would be furious if they even gave up a 3rd for Henry

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Titans retain some $

If I'm reading this right, Hopkins has a dead cap figure of over $11 million in 2023 and over $7.8 million in 2024. Nothing to sneeze at.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/deandre-hopkins-12307/

But if the Titan's were game I'd pull the trigger for a 2nd and 3rd/4th... Not sure if that would be enough for them...

Edited by Nephilim17

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Why exactly?  The upside is he makes your offense extremely unpredictable and able to beat the defense multiple ways.  He is an elite RB. Absolutely no debate.  Look what CMC did for the Niners. (Different style, same idea)

Assuming Allen runs more in the coming weeks…

imagine being a defender trying to deal with the Buffalo of Allen and King Henry.

play action & option run/pass plays would be LETHAL

Not to mention benefits in redzone and to end games

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

If I'm reading this right, Hopkins has a dead cap figure of over $11 million in 2023 and over $7.8 million in 2024. Nothing to sneeze at.

But if the Titan's were game I'd pull the trigger for a 2nd and 3rd/4th... Not sure if that would be enough for them...

A 2nd and 3rd/4th for Hopkins? Hell no

4 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

A 2nd and a 3rd not enough?  😱 I’m sure that would be enough 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Why exactly?  The upside is he makes your offense extremely unpredictable and able to beat the defense multiple ways.  He is an elite RB. Absolutely no debate.  Look what CMC did for the Niners. (Different style, same idea)

He is not CMC…

He is 29 years old…. ( 30 in Jan) In the last year of his contract with $6.5 m to be paid still…

Just doesn’t add up to me for even a third …

I would say it’s likely he gets traded to someone so let’s wait and see…

Just now, NewEra said:

A 2nd and a 3rd not enough?  😱 I’m sure that would be enough 

I'm a functional alcoholic, not a GM.

But I'd be pretty stoked to land both Henry and Hopkins this year. Yes, it's a one-season rental for Henry (perhaps he'd resign with us) and Hopkins is a 2-year rental,  but do you honestly not believe those two players would no transform this offense?

Right now it's all on DIggs most games. Hopkins and Henry change that instantly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He is not CMC…

He is 29 years old…. ( 30 in Jan) In the last year of his contract with $6.5 m to be paid still…

Just doesn’t add up to me for even a third …

I would say it’s likely he gets traded to someone so let’s wait and see…

I mean we’d ask Titans to eat a portion of that $ so the compensation would likely be higher than other teams

if he goes for less than a 3rd to a contender it’s robbery

also, have you seen Henry’s workout regime? The guy is a FREAK.  I’d bet he has 2-3 really strong seasons left at least

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It has to be Hopkins if anything... last thing we need is another RB.

Yeah, a real #2 WR in D-Hop over another RB would be my preference to open up the passing offense.

Still, a major RB tank like the King would help with those 12-13 player personnel schemes. Think of it, Cook reminds me of a change of pace back and not the mule needed to carry a full RB workload. 

This last game he stunk it up in pass blocking and then I would think he would be more utilized in the passing game over the run game.

Honestly, as much as I love Josh throwing more often I'd really prefer to see him more under center while not needing to carry the game all the time. 

Having a dominant run game would put them right up there with SF and Philly. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

This feels out of the blue to me. But I’ll trust that there’s  some legs to this if Vegas is giving us the best odds. 

A 2nd feels waaaay too high. This is the last year of his contract. I’m not sure I’d trade Davis straight up. Maybe a 5th that becomes a 4th with an extension? I love Henry, but he has some miles on him. 

With rumors of Hopkins getting moved I’d consider them both. Maybe Davis and a 3rd for Hopkins and Henry? Throw in a 4th in 2025 if they want more. I’m not sure how much I’d spend on this. 

Spotrac is awesome, but I wish they did a better job of sharing “trading x player has y result on the receiving teams cap”. I can figure it out, but on mobile it’s brutal….which I am on right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I mean we’d ask Titans to eat a portion of that $ so the compensation would likely be higher than other teams

if he goes for less than a 3rd to a contender it’s robbery

Looks like they are already on the hook for like $8m or so dead cap…but it’s possible that they eat more …

If they leave them something like $2m the rest of the year then maybe Beane gives up his third considering they have the Comp pick for Edmunds coming…

Like I said though.. I would prefer them to look elsewhere 

Edited by Aussie Joe

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Yeah, a real #2 WR in D-Hop over another RB would be my preference to open up the passing offense.

Still, a major RB tank like the King would help with those 12-13 player personnel schemes. Think of it, Cook reminds me of a change of pace back and not the mule needed to carry a full RB workload. 

This last game he stunk it up in pass blocking and then I would think he would be more utilized in the passing game over the run game.

Honestly, as much as I love Josh throwing more often I'd really prefer to see him more under center while not needing to carry the game all the time. 

Having a dominant run game would put them right up there with SF and Philly. 

Bingo.  SF & PHI can both beat you passing and running with a combination of scheme and high level talents.  This would at least give us a chance to reach that level

Nothing against Henry or the OP for posting what he heard, but I always find it funny when the Bills are linked to big name players that play a position that is not remotely close to one of their biggest needs. Then when you factor in salary/age/draft compensation it becomes even more hilarious.

I mean, honestly, who has sat here and watched the Bills of late and said the one big move they need to make is for a running back? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Nothing against Henry or the OP for posting what he heard, but I always find it funny when the Bills are linked to big name players that play a position that is not remotely close to one of their biggest needs. Then when you factor in salary/age/draft compensation it becomes even more hilarious.

I mean, honestly, who has sat here and watched the Bills of late and said the one big move they need to make is for a running back? 

What the Bills need is an impact player. Henry is that. He is also possibly the only player we could acquire that instantly lessens the % of 2 high safety looks we face

another aspect of this…the Bills desperately need more of a nasty physical edge on offense.  

Henry is capable at anytime of a single play that shifts the momentum of a game in a huge way.  (See Josh Norman being ragdolled)

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

What the Bills need is an impact player. Henry is that. He is also possibly the only player we could acquire that instantly lessens the % of 2 high safety looks we face

You don't acquire a player like Henry unless you intend to make him the focal point of your offense. Last I checked we have Josh Allen. Factor in the mileage/salary/loss of draft capital and it seems like a ludicrous idea

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

It would be hilarious. Try to be the 2019 titans with an older Henry and worse OL.

Would demonstrate a complete fundamental misunderstanding with the problems with this offensive roster, which means it makes total sense lol

It's like the equivalent of the old Daboll era QB Power call

Just screams I don't know what to do here

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Doh! I responded to this thread without checking the cap implications for the Titans. I only checked ours. 

Originally I mentioned a 2024

3rd and Davis, with maybe a 2025 4th for both. Henry is in the last year of his contract. But that dead cap number isn’t awesome for TN. 

I could maybe move both those picks up  a round each based on either a Henry extension (I likely wouldn’t extend) and/or team performance like making the AFCCG. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

This feels out of the blue to me. But I’ll trust that there’s  some legs to this if Vegas is giving us the best odds. 

A 2nd feels waaaay too high. This is the last year of his contract. I’m not sure I’d trade Davis straight up. Maybe a 5th that becomes a 4th with an extension? I love Henry, but he has some miles on him. 

With rumors of Hopkins getting moved I’d consider them both. Maybe Davis and a 3rd for Hopkins and Henry? Throw in a 4th in 2025 if they want more. I’m not sure how much I’d spend on this. 

Spotrac is awesome, but I wish they did a better job of sharing “trading x player has y result on the receiving teams cap”. I can figure it out, but on mobile it’s brutal….which I am on right now. 

Davis is an asset as he is on minimum pay the rest of the year and then you get a comp pick for him next year…( could be a third )

Now I know they are trying to save a season here… but Id rather keep him as third WR option the rest of the year…

Im not saying not to bring in anyone ..  I would prefer a deep threat type… Hopkins doesn’t get a lot of separation and he may take a bit of time to develop a trust with JA..

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, buffblue said:

You don't acquire a player like Henry unless you intend to make him the focal point of your offense. Last I checked we have Josh Allen. Factor in the mileage/salary/loss of draft capital and it seems like a ludicrous idea

you’re boxing the offense in with that train of thought. Why does that need to be the case? Because he hasn’t played with a top tier QB before?

I like James Cook. He’s a decent player. He scares no one.  

Henry establishes Dominance and wrecks entire defenses.  

Again….you put him with a top QB. Mahomes, Lamar, Allen….

Nobody wants to face those combinations!!

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

you’re boxing the offense in with that train of thought. Why does that need to be the case? Because he hasn’t played with a top tier QB before?

I like James Cook. He’s a decent player. He scares no one.  

Henry establishes Dominance and wrecks entire defenses.  

Again….you put him with a top QB. Mahomes, Lamar, Allen….

Nobody wants to face those combinations!!

So I guess our objective then will be to achieve more balance? Play more "complimentary football" as McDermott likes to say?

We are already running the ball better than we have in years, especially considering they have brainwashed Allen not to scramble. And guess what? We are a less explosive and productive offense because of it

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

We have Murray. Same back. 

Latavius is good, but you can’t be serious

1 minute ago, buffblue said:

So I guess our objective then will be to achieve more balance? Play more "complimentary football" as McDermott likes to say?

We are already running the ball better than we have in years, especially considering they have brainwashed Allen not to scramble. And guess what? We are a less explosive and productive offense because of it

our objective is to win a championship. Adding a truly elite player with a unique skill set increases your odds. Especially against top teams.  You need to be able to win multiple ways down the stretch.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills! said:

Old Man Murray can do 85% of what henry would do here. Dhop would be a bigger target and great slot option vs adding another back. 

Run the no huddle with Diggs, Kincaid, Dhop and Murray in pass pro we could move the chains easily.

Certainly would be happy with that approach as well! 

you can also run the no huddle with a punishing back…. Then kill teams with playaction when they cheat into the box

I’m open to adding anyone / any approach that helps this team

• Agree 2

Just now, GoBills! said:

Old Man Murray can do 85% of what henry would do here. Dhop would be a bigger target and great slot option vs adding another back. 

Run the no huddle with Diggs, Kincaid, Dhop and Murray in pass pro we could move the chains easily.

Murray is no where near the caliber of player that Henry is, but I agree 100 percent that Hopkins would be the more impactful acquisition of the two 

• Like (+1) 1

Dorsey would find a way to ruin it, but I'd be perfectly fine with the addition of Henry as long as he gets 20+ touches per game like he should.  

Yes, that's means a shift of philosophy on offense, which everyone should welcome since what the Bills are currently doing isn't working. 

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.