Dawson Knox - wrist surgery

NewEra

27 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Too bad Quiton Morris is hurt. Otherwise, I think this could be good news. We have to break up the Knox/Allen Bro show. Knox simply isn’t good enough.

Knox is a really good blocker and runs powerfully after the catch along with decent route running he has value to the offense but his drops are a big issue. And the drops which were already bad have only gotten worse since his injury. 

I think Knox is really effective as a supplemental option in the passing game and his blocking provides value. If Knox is your 5th option your offense will hum but if you need him to step into a larger role then your team is in trouble.

Luckily with Kincaid and hopefully Shakir emerging they can IR Knox to come back for a stretch run as the 5th passing option behind Diggs, Kincaid, Davis and Shakir.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

Personally I feel like having a guy who might not be able to catch because of a broken hand be on the field in critical fourth and two situation is beyond bad coaching. It is coaching malpractice.  

especially when you have a guy who has great hands available to you.

Quinton Morris Time ! I have always like him , even though rarely used as a pass catcher. even when standing there wide open 8 yards upfield last few years  lol

He's no Dawson , but hell Bills cant use TEs worth a f anyways last 15 years or so.

BTW I agree with Big Turk. Knox is a very good TE who fixed his catch issues two years ago. And he has still been a beast in the game.

If Know is down, OC adjusts. they all do that, adjust. Right ..

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Too bad Quiton Morris is hurt. Otherwise, I think this could be good news. We have to break up the Knox/Allen Bro show. Knox simply isn’t good enough.

Good enough for what exactly ?

I am still not sure they use him as well as they might. If he ever got the ball in stride , he likely would run over the the initial tackler and destroy a safety or corner. But he seems to have to stop and turn , or wait for balls.

Get him on a sweep behind Torrence and Spencer with Morse at the second level

Imagine the carnage 🤣

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Knox is an interesting case study. From a catching perspective he was below replacement level his first 2 seasons. Then in years 3 and 4 he improved dramatically to being one of the best in the league. I really thought he had worked the drops out of his system. 

Now in year 5 he's back to being as bad (or even worse) as he was earlier in his career. He leads the league in TE drops despite not having many targets. Can we blame his poor performance this season on the injury? Is the 'real' Dawson Knox the guy we saw in years 1+2 that couldn't hold onto the ball? Is this just bad luck from a small sample size? 

This would be like if Allen suddenly dropped back to a sub 60% completion rate. 

Can we blame either for injuries ?

I really have no context for Knox drops as i dont fret so much about his play as of last season. Thought he fixed his concentration issue

Just looked up TE stats on FantasyPros. Dalton Kincaid has the highest reception / target ratio for TEs (with at least 10 receptions), at 92.6%.

Care to guess who's last in the NFL (same receptions qualification)? Knox, at 53.6%. NFL average is 73.3%.

Kincaid looked extremely solid this week. Feed the man.

Edited by wettlaufer
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Knox is a very good blocker, but for whatever reason is never a consistent option in the pass game.  Not just drops, but low target share.  Not just this season but years past.

He's one tough dude, ie: Rambo, but he's always battling through an injury it seems.  Same as college.  His biggest challenge is staying healthy for long stretches.

Always a fan and up to this point, good value.  But starting next yr, $14.4m cap hit (6th highest amongst TEs) will really sting us.  I'll be genuinely shocked if we try restructuring his deal....not the type to do it for/injury concerns.  $15m+ cao hits in 2025-26 already.

No way of getting out of that contract, without $20m+ dead cap until 2025.  

Hopefully he come back healthy and balls out next year.  We will need it for that cap hit

I think we can afford to keep both of them, until it is time to give Kincaid his new contract.  The contracts offset  for a year or two, might as well keep both while we can.  

14 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Good enough for what exactly ?

I am still not sure they use him as well as they might. If he ever got the ball in stride , he likely would run over the the initial tackler and destroy a safety or corner. But he seems to have to stop and turn , or wait for balls.

Get him on a sweep behind Torrence and Spencer with Morse at the second level

Imagine the carnage 🤣

To be counted on to CATCH the damn ball! Duh..🤦‍♂️

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I mean, I feel bad for Knox....but hopefully this ends playing 1/3 of the game in 12 personnel.  Permanently 

and now what ?
two tailbacks . with one in motion nearly every play ?

Davis in the backfield again ?

Bills dont know wtf they want to do yet,

It has been mentioned , whatever you line up run it for few series at a good clip without subs. Up tempo

even if we ran it out of 12 , Bills might have fared better

I dont think its the personnel so much as how they line up and what happens directly after. Motions , checks, check outs

etc.

But yea hope it forces the Offense to re focus  

They both have their place on this team for now. That being said, I think Kincaid takes TE1 over if he has another game like last night.

he’s proven he can be relied on already, and any time he’s on the field he can make a play if given an opportunity. Keep the momentum going in his favor. If you want him to be the next Kelce you need to feed him

• 4 weeks later...

Another strong game from Kincaid tonight.  How we feeing once Dawson comes back?  Do we return to more two tight end sets?  Imo I know he’s struggled but I’m interested to see what Brady does when we get a healthy Knox back.  Looked like Quinton Morris had a couple opportunities tonight but I think getting Knox back in the mix just gets us another weapon for the playoff push.  

Knox gets way too much hate on here, he's not as good as Kincaid and people have every right to be hyped for the rookie to get more and more reps because of what he brings. But Knox is still a good/decent TE that will be very good as the veteran TE2 behind the more talented TE1 that we drafted with our 1st round pick.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 10/24/2023 at 5:07 PM, billsfan89 said:

Shakir and Morris should step into his snaps. I really like what I have seen from Shakir so far. He catches everything thrown to him, he runs crisp routes and he has an improved on his blocking. No reason he shouldn’t see 35 snaps a game with Morris taking about 25

Not including tonight Shakir has gotten 40+ the last three weeks and 25+ the two weeks before. 

He should be starting in the slot. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Knox gets way too much hate on here, he's not as good as Kincaid and people have every right to be hyped for the rookie to get more and more reps because of what he brings. But Knox is still a good/decent TE that will be very good as the veteran TE2 behind the more talented TE1 that we drafted with our 1st round pick.

If only he wasn’t paid TE1 money. 

On 10/24/2023 at 10:30 AM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'm down on Knox too but losing him is a huge blow. People who think we will be better are crazy. Knox is the most athletic TE the Bills have probably ever had.  Kincaid is in no way capable of being TE#1 now and maybe never. 

That said this is an opportunity to go air raid and just use the run to keep teams honest.  If they want to run they will need to use Bates as a blocking TE.

It’s been terrible Ethan … having to rely on Kincaid…

• Haha (+1) 1

If they take Kincaid off the field, other than for a breather, to put Knox back out there in place of him, we may riot.  But we've seen this song and dance before.  The coaches have their favorites and Knox is one of them.  But Kincaid is the superior player in many different ways.  Even his blocking is getting better week in and week out.  But I just fear that once Knox comes back, Kincaid's role will go down to make room.  I hope this isn't the case, but this coaching staff does it all the time.

13 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Knox has some trade value when they can move on from him … 

3 minutes ago, sven233 said:

If they take Kincaid off the field, other than for a breather, to put Knox back out there in place of him, we may riot.  But we've seen this song and dance before.  The coaches have their favorites and Knox is one of them.  But Kincaid is the superior player in many different ways.  Even his blocking is getting better week in and week out.  But I just fear that once Knox comes back, Kincaid's role will go down to make room.  I hope this isn't the case, but this coaching staff does it all the time.

We took Kincaid off the field for multiple plays when Knox wasn't even out there today, I thought it was weird because he's so damn effective but at the same time we were still marching down the field so it was hard to complain.

14 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Hes probably an average TE IMO but The problem is?

when he returns, who’s playing time is he going to be eating into?

It won’t be Gabe as he’s the “outside WR2”.

Which leads to Kincaid or Shakir.

And I would much rather have those guys on the majority of the time, than Knox

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

We took Kincaid off the field for multiple plays when Knox wasn't even out there today, I thought it was weird because he's so damn effective but at the same time we were still marching down the field so it was hard to complain.

As well you don't want to overtax a rookie as they typically need to adjust to the more grueling NFL schedules compared to college football.  He did look good on several blocks so that's a good sign  too.  If they can't peg him as a receiving only TE he'll be way more effective as he learns and masters the Bills playbook and even forces some additional plays to be designed once his skillset is where they want it.

3 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Really because he's only about 7 spots higher than a 1st round draft pick on his rookie contract.

Of course he isn't specifically in the middle of that list, he's middle of the road of starting TEs and recently got his contract, seriously got it last year falling out of the top ten by next year.

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He is paid too much though … with Kincaid here 

Not really Kincaid is on a rookie deal he's cheap and Knox didn't get paid that much because well he's a TE and he didn't reset the market so there's already going to be a bunch of people ahead of him in no time.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Maybe that other TE who didn't catch that TD pass today?

Just now, Warcodered said:

Really because he's only about 7 spots higher than a 1st round draft pick on his rookie contract.

Of course he isn't specifically in the middle of that list, he's middle of the road of starting TEs and recently got his contract, seriously got it last year falling out of the top ten by next year.

Not really Kincaid is on a rookie deal he's cheap and Knox didn't get paid that much because well he's a TE and he didn't reset the market so there's already going to be a bunch of people ahead of him in no time.

Ok but How many snaps did Q morris get though, like 10 max?

Love Kincaid, he and Knox really aren’t interchangeable. Knox will be nice to have back as an in-line blocker who can also slip out and make some catches. Kincaid is on pace for the greatest rookie season ever by a TE. Kid could be special. Loved watching him just playing tonight, down field blocking, mixing it up after plays, he is a competitor with amazing hands. Knox will be good to have back when Bills want to run 12 personnel and keep teams guessing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Not really Kincaid is on a rookie deal he's cheap and Knox didn't get paid that much because well 

Just because Kincaid is cheap, doesn’t mean they have to significantly overpay the Number 2…

They need to save some money somewhere  and Knox seems a likely candidate to me …he also has some trade value …won’t happen until after next year though …

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

We never seen Stone Hands Knox drop a pass right? 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1

We saw some promising play from the offense when both Knox and Kincaid were on the field at the same time early in the season.  I want to see Knox get healthy and Buffalo putting both on the field at the same time again for a while before I decide if it's worth paying both of them.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/24/2023 at 12:28 PM, Warcodered said:

How did people not know he was injured he's been on the report all of the last couple of weeks for his wrist, we weren't sure if he was going to play against the Giants.

they show the play Knox broke his wrist on.  Knox is a tough mfer that tried to play through it.  I give Knox mucho respect

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Just because Kincaid is cheap, doesn’t mean they have to significantly overpay the Number 2…

They need to save some money somewhere  and Knox seems a likely candidate to me …he also has some trade value …won’t happen until after next year though …

We never seen Stone Hands Knox drop a pass right? 

Knox and Davis are actually Stonemen from Game of Thrones. Explains a lot to me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

If he's good to go he's coming back he's the TE2 in our offense at this point.

Don't pigeon hole Kincaid.  Brady will play Kincaid in the slot, and other clever spots.  Knox and Kincaid will be on the field together most of the time

19 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

It shouldn’t be a problem. Knox is TE2, now and forever. The position has a new starter and it isn’t even close.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Ok but How many snaps did Q morris get though, like 10 max?

Against the Jets?  29 (38%)

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Dawson Knox says he is good to go.  Its up to coaches

My guess would be they'll designate him to return, but not activate him quite yet - not while we're down so many CB and S

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.