Never thought I’d say this. Sean McDermott is a stupid coach.

Beast

6 minutes ago, OZBILLS said:

His post game speech is a joke. Unbelievable 

No accountability.  It’s why his team is undisciplined and plays stupid.  Call somebody out for once! The punt return unit cost 45 total yards in field position on back to back punts.  Phillips shouldn’t be on team after that idiotic penalty.  

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, OZBILLS said:

His post game speech is a joke. Unbelievable 

There's a fine line between wanting to run through a brick wall and wanting to bash your head against one.

McClappy is a glorified DB coach who lucked into an otherworldly QB. He'd be back assisting someone in Carolina right now if it wasn't for Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

No accountability.  It’s why his team is undisciplined and plays stupid.  Call somebody out for once! The punt return unit cost 45 total yards in field position on back to back punts.  Phillips shouldn’t be on team after that idiotic penalty.  

For a win!?

You guys are literally insane. Incredible.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, QB Bills said:

There's a fine line between wanting to run through a brick wall and wanting to bash your head against one.

McClappy is a glorified DB coach who lucked into an otherworldly QB. He'd be back assisting someone in Carolina right now if it wasn't for Allen. 

You people are insane, calling the best coach we’ve had since Marv a “glorified DB coach.” My god. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

For a win!?

You guys are literally insane. Incredible.

The fact that there are still people defending mcdermott after last night is insane.  Almost everything that can go wrong will go wrong at end of games with him at the helm.  He chokes with his defensive timeouts and his team chokes.  Tampa had no business being in that game at the end and were a Godwin not turning his head around in time from winning.  We were a ref missed call away from losing to tyrod taylor and Mac Jones carves us up going 75 yards in 90 seconds.  There’s a reason we have largest point differential last 3 years and nothing to show for it.  The man chokes at end of games and so does his team.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Allen is the only QB that can survive this type of game management and play calling. Allen is fighting an uphill battle. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

This is why analytics is stupid!  It doesn’t take into account the team at hand.

1. The Bills are not a good run team and already failed on a 4th and 1 earier in the game.

2. giving the Bucs the Ball at midfield with 28 seconds left and then having 2 very good WR. Is taking an unnecessary risk.

3. As I have heard on here all week the Bills D is banged up and why take the chance of putting them in a bad position like that.

Analytics May say go for it, but football common sense says you punt it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The fact that there are still people defending mcdermott after last night is insane.  Almost everything that can go wrong will go wrong at end of games with him at the helm.  He chokes with his defensive timeouts and his team chokes.  Tampa had no business being in that game at the end and were a Godwin not turning his head around in time from winning.  We were a ref missed call away from losing to tyrod taylor and Mac Jones carves us up going 75 yards in 90 seconds.  There’s a reason we have largest point differential last 3 years and nothing to show for it.  The man chokes at end of games and so does his team.  

The lynch mob is full of idiots. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

He holds Elam and Williams to account😎

14 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

This is why analytics is stupid!  It doesn’t take into account the team at hand.

1. The Bills are not a good run team and already failed on a 4th and 1 earier in the game.

2. giving the Bucs the Ball at midfield with 28 seconds left and then having 2 very good WR. Is taking an unnecessary risk.

3. As I have heard on here all week the Bills D is banged up and why take the chance of putting them in a bad position like that.

Analytics May say go for it, but football common sense says you punt it. 

Agree on the last one. But the second? They should have gone for it 

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Agree on the last one. But the second? They should have gone for it 

Ok let’s say they go for it. (Obviously conjecture now) they hand the ball to Cook and he is stuffed for no gain.. the Bucs get the ball at their on 48. Now let’s say they still only get 25 yards. That brings them down to the 27 yard line. Now you have a much easier pass to complete for a TD instead of a Hail Mary. With Godwin and Evans if I was a bills fan I’d be sweating that play.

Now let’s take an even worse case scenario.. The Bills go for it and the run Allen.   Allen makes it but hurts his shoulder more.  That’s worse! The Bills O without Allen is average at best.

IMO they only make it by running Allen, a smart coach knowing he is already hurting punts the dang ball and trust the D to hold for less than 30 seconds. 

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok let’s say they go for it. (Obviously conjecture now) they hand the ball to Cook and he is stuffed for no gain.. the Bucs get the ball at their on 48. Now let’s say they still only get 25 yards. That brings them down to the 27 yard line. Now you have a much easier pass to complete for a TD instead of a Hail Mary. With Godwin and Evans if I was a bills fan I’d be sweating that play.

Now let’s take an even worse case scenario.. The Bills go for it and the run Allen.   Allen makes it but hurts his shoulder more.  That’s worse! The Bills O without Allen is average at best.

IMO they only make it by running Allen, a smart coach knowing he is already hurting punts the dang ball and trust the D to hold for less than 30 seconds. 

Or, you know, they make it and it never comes down to a hail Mary 

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Or, you know, they make it and it never comes down to a hail Mary 

Ok what in last nights game gave you confidence on 4th and short?  Remember Dorsey is calling the play.. it be shotgun with no one in the backfield with him (more than likely) and an attempted pass play.. POSSIBLE OUTCOMES:

1. completion - game over

2. Incomplete — see my other post scenerio

3. Intercepted- and returned into Bills territory. 

4. Sack inside Bills territory.

the bad outcomes are just as likely to happen as the good one.  The smart call is to punt.  Imagine this place if they went for it and didn’t make it and LOST THE GAME because of it. 

10 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok what in last nights game gave you confidence on 4th and short?  Remember Dorsey is calling the play.. it be shotgun with no one in the backfield with him (more than likely) and an attempted pass play.. POSSIBLE OUTCOMES:

1. completion - game over

2. Incomplete — see my other post scenerio

3. Intercepted- and returned into Bills territory. 

4. Sack inside Bills territory.

the bad outcomes are just as likely to happen as the good one.  The smart call is to punt.  Imagine this place if they went for it and didn’t make it and LOST THE GAME because of it. 

Probably be about the same as in a close win. 

Honestly, I'm more worried about the defense and it's almost comical ability to give up long TD drives to bad offenses in the 4tu quarter. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Probably be about the same as in a close win. 

Honestly, I'm more worried about the defense and it's almost comical ability to give up long TD drives to bad offenses in the 4tu quarter. 

See I was thinking the Bills D being forced defend a short field for even 30 seconds would self destruct.  As someone pointed out if Godwin sees that pass they lose last night..  

8 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Doesn't this mean that this decision increased the Bucs chance of winning by 1.5X from (2% to 3%), which is a huge increase.  The thing that bothers me about these 4th down decisions is they are so simple.  Does this give my team a better chance to win??  Yes, do it.  No, don't do it.  Making the repeated incorrect mathematical decision is a firable offense IMO.

Edited by Fdapats

35 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

But none are bigger idiots than the ones who remain steadfast in their praise of mcclappy

nah, we're having a season that doesn't meet the squad's expectations so far. and they act like entitled babies. that's all that's happening here. everyone's SB pick(SF) just lost 2 in a row. scoring 17 points each game. I guess they should fire shanahan. another favorite here, who hasn't won a sb that I know of. ebbs and flow of a season. every team goes through a rough patch. we're a 1/2 game behind the phins for 1st in the AFCE. we beat them, so I count it as we're tied. phins can't beat a good team, guess mcdaniel needs to go too. another media darling(cowboys) has their share of issues too. ravens score 10 vs pitt and 19 vs the colts. every team goes through it. jags score 9 and 17 in consecutive losses. it happens. eagles lose to the jets, scoring 14 points and squeaked out a 3 point win vs washington(who we dominated). it happens. another darling(Lions) just scored 6 points in a blowout loss to the ravens. the lions scored only 20 vs the bucs the week before. lions score only 21 vs chiefs in a loss. ah, the immortal Ben Johnson. it happens. i'm sure they all have a site like this where idiots overreact too. 

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Fdapats said:

Doesn't this mean that this decision increased the Bucs chance of winning by 1.5X from (2% to 3%), which is a huge increase.  The thing that bothers me about these 4th down decisions is they are so simple.  Does this give my team a better chance to win??  Yes, do it.  No, don't do it.  Making the repeated incorrect mathematical decision is a firable offense IMO.

The punts though frustrating were the right calls.  It’s what leads up to that where lack of discipline and coaching show up.  The back to back punt return holds are inexcusable.  Martin was fantastic and defense did its job with two 3 and outs and then 2 idiots on special teams cost 45 yards in field position.  Yet nobody loses their job.  Same with Phillips.  The defense plays great, wins the game and then complete moron play by him.  Yet he won’t lose his job.  No accountability because our QB has propped everybody else up the last 3+ years.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

The punts though frustrating were the right calls.  It’s what leads up to that where lack of discipline and coaching show up.  The back to back punt return holds are inexcusable.  Martin was fantastic and defense did its job with two 3 and outs and then 2 idiots on special teams cost 45 yards in field position.  Yet nobody loses their job.  Same with Phillips.  The defense plays great, wins the game and then complete moron play by him.  Yet he won’t lose his job.  No accountability because our QB has propped everybody else up the lay 3+ years.  

100% disagree, deciding to give the other team a better chance to win by 1.5X is not the "right call"

8 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

one of the dumbest comments that gets regurgitated by complainers. we don't win without the punt return team getting a big return by Hardy that led to a TD. guess you forgot that one. 

7 minutes ago, Fdapats said:

100% disagree, deciding to give the other team a better chance to win by 1.5X is not the "right call"

You really think we’re converting there?  The whole team including the offense goes into turtle mode at end of games.  

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

one of the dumbest comments that gets regurgitated by complainers. we don't win without the punt return team getting a big return by Hardy that led to a TD. guess you forgot that one. 

yes.  because their punter kicked a 35 yard line drive that Harty caught on the run.  That was all Harty making a good play on a terrible punt. Nice try though 

The 4th and 4 from the Bucs 42 at the beginning of the 4th quarter was the one out of the four, 4th downs that the Bills should have went for it.

Still almost a whole quarter to go and. 14 point lead. I’ve seen too many times where a punt ends up as a touchback and you only gain 20 yards out of that exchange. You pick up a first down you’re in FG range to make it a 17 point, three score game. You don’t and Tampa still has to drive 60 yards for a TD when they have only scored 10 for 3 quarters.

To me, that one particular 4th down I just described is a bad coaching decision.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You really think we’re converting there?  The whole team including the offense goes into turtle mode at end of games.  

yes.  because their punter kicked a 35 yard line drive that Harty caught on the run.  That was all Harty making a good play on a terrible punt. Nice try though 

you're poo-pooing that play?!?!? even if you don't agree it's a great play, it was definitely a good play. definition of the lynch mob i'm referring to. that play helped win the game. but hey lynch mob gonna lynch mob. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

McDermott can't help but get conservative on offense, but then expects his depleted defense to hold the fort. That's not smart. 

Every punt was good strategy.  It took two 4th down penalties and then two balls bouncing off helmets for the TB offense to make it a game and they still fell short due to negative field position.

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

you're poo-pooing that play?!?!? even if you don't agree it's a great play, it was definitely a good play. definition of the lynch mob i'm referring to. that play helped win the game. but hey lynch mob gonna lynch mob. 

What are you even talking about at this point?  It was a great play by Harty where he took advantage of a terrible punt.  Had nothing to do with blocking.  

I'm having a hard time pinning this one on Sean McDermott.

The Bills had multiple chances to put the game away, and failed at each step.  But not sure those failures can fall on the coach.

- Two terrible holding penalties on punt returns, which cost us great field position.  Three more points and the game is over.  I know people like to blame penalties on the coaches, but how is it not the fault of the player?

- Multiple punts from mid-field.  Yes, they were extremely conservative calls.  Yes, they were frustrating.  But considering the score and how the defense was playing, were they really the wrong decisions?

- Missed intentional grounding against Baker Mayfield, when Von Miller was holding his leg.  Refs fault.  Had potential to kill that scoring drive.

- Illegal contact on Taron Johnson.  It wasn't flagrant, but it was the right call.  See above.  This is the player's fault.  No penalty and the Bills win by 14.

- Facemask on Jordan Phillips.  Same thing.  This is the player's fault.  Sack would have ended the game and the Bills win by 14.

- Ball bounces off Christian Benford's helmet into the arms of Mike Evans for a touchdown, after the receiver pushed off.  They held the guy in check all day, and once again had decent coverage.  Fluke play, plus another miss by the refs.

- Two-point conversion was a tipped pass that fell in the arms of the Bucs.  Consider our tipped pass earlier in the game also fell in the arms of the Bucs.

Lost in all of the ‘go for it’ conversations is why we were throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down. If you’re not planning on going for it, you make sure you’re running routes that pick up the First on 3rd down. They did it twice! It’s like McD and Dorsey are on completely different pages. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Lost in all of the ‘go for it’ conversations is why we were throwing short of the sticks on 3rd down. If you’re not planning on going for it, you make sure you’re running routes that pick up the First on 3rd down. They did it twice! It’s like McD and Dorsey are on completely different pages. 

it'd be one thing if this was an offense that generally has good 'YAC' output, but it usually doesn't fare well in that category (last night was better in that regard).

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

What are you even talking about at this point?  It was a great play by Harty where he took advantage of a terrible punt.  Had nothing to do with blocking.  

you're proving my point here. thanks. still don't get the poo-pooing of the play. lynch mob feel to this post. 

Just now, Bermuda Triangle said:

it'd be one thing if this was an offense that generally has good 'YAC' output, but it usually doesn't fare well in that category (last night was better in that regard).

Agree….and yet you have to wonder if Josh is also on a different page than McD. If your QB knows his coach is going to punt it makes zero sense to throw short of the sticks in your opponent’s territory. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.