Giants @ Bills Postgame thread

Simon

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

We have too many skill players "out of sorts" - the play gets to them, and they can't clinch the deal.  If it's true Knox is playing with a torn ligament and a broken bone, in a brace, I don't want to dunk on him too much, but it's not good.  Gabe Davis fumbling, etc.

I am proud of our LB and Taron Johnson.  They may be small, but they're fierce.  When Taron tackles a guy, he knows he's been hit.

I trust that the Bills WR’s and TE’s will get it going with more time. I think it’s better to have these “clunkers” in October in order to work on things early in the season.

I think the offensive line has been doing good and is very encouraging. As long as Josh is healthy and hopefully the Harris injury isn’t as serious as it looked (I hope this is like Dane Jackson’s injury last year when he got carted off in an ambulance and ended up only missing a few weeks somehow) then the Bills got out decent on the injury front. Kincaid and Dane got the night off so that’s also going to hopefully lead to them being available next week.

The Bills offense ran right at the Giants strongest defensive point their DT combo and MLB and had they needed to they easily could have ran for a lot more had they had more opportunities. They got 4.4 per carry with Josh only accounting for 2 carries on 11 yards and that average was probably higher if not for close down situations that they usually converted on.

Torrence and McGovern really have allowed the Bills to have a power running game

52 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

We have too many skill players "out of sorts" - the play gets to them, and they can't clinch the deal.  If it's true Knox is playing with a torn ligament and a broken bone, in a brace, I don't want to dunk on him too much, but it's not good.  Gabe Davis fumbling, etc.

I am proud of our LB and Taron Johnson.  They may be small, but they're fierce.  When Taron tackles a guy, he knows he's been hit.

Saquon gashed us on that one series when they got the lead back. Next series Benford freaking sticks him, like that's enough of that.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think the offensive line has been doing good and is very encouraging. As long as Josh is healthy and hopefully the Harris injury isn’t as serious as it looked (I hope this is like Dane Jackson’s injury last year when he got carted off in an ambulance and ended up only missing a few weeks somehow) then the Bills got out decent on the injury front. Kincaid and Dane got the night off so that’s also going to hopefully lead to them being available next week.

Did McDermott or anyone say if Kincaid is actually out of concussion protocol yet?  I know he could be in protocol on Friday and theoretically cleared right before the game....

FWIW, Jackson missed one (1) game last year.

Chiefs fans gladly take ugly wins, even ones courtesy of questionable calls/ non- calls at the end. Take it and move on. One can insist that other teams will magically improve and overcome their shortcomings, and the Bills will not … whatever does it for ya, but it’s just trolling at this point. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Whew.  OK.

If Josh is good then I think the only major injury was Harris. Hopefully Harris injury isn’t as serious as it looked. I thought Dane Jackson last season had a season ending and career threatening injury last year and he only ended up missing a few weeks somehow 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

If Josh is good then I think the only major injury was Harris. Hopefully Harris injury isn’t as serious as it looked. I thought Dane Jackson last season had a season ending and career threatening injury last year and he only ended up missing a few weeks somehow 

One.

He missed one week, somehow.  Played in 15 games.

25 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Great point. So you admit the injuries to Tre, Milano, and Jones will be difficult to overcome? 

The point is the defense played a terrible offense. Not their fault but it still has to be put in its proper perspective. The defense still has a lot of work to do. It's nowhere near super bowl quality. 

Idk if they’ll be difficult to overcome yet but you certainly can’t give an injury excuse to only one team.

elam playing due to injuries is just free yards and the defense has still looked pretty decent with Williams/Bernard 

they played a terrible offense that some of which was due to Daniel jones and some of which was due to not having their best offensive player until now.  They had some other pretty big pieces return too 

not enough credit is being given to the giants front 7 imo just because their team is ‘bad’. Those guys were everywhere tonight.  Best front 7 performance we’ve seen against us all year including the jets…I’m sure some was Daboll having the inside scoop though 

I don’t think there’s been a team in recent memory that has powered through key defensive player injuries better than the bills…the ravens are up there too 

we saw a few real high power offenses with our entire starting secondary injured last season and held up pretty well and we’ve got guys deep down the depth chart stepping up and playing pretty well this year too 

genuinely who looks Super Bowl worthy right now?  Eagles and 49ers both looked mortal today, chiefs have been up and down, dolphins we’ve beat already 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

One.

He missed one week, somehow.  Played in 15 games.

He missed that one and I'm not even sure he needed too, it was weird like the most horrible looking thing possible and he was fine but maybe they kept him out to be safe. Hyde on the other hand totally innocent looking play out until Conference Championships.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

He missed that one and I'm not even sure he needed too, it was weird like the most horrible looking thing possible and he was fine but maybe they kept him out to be safe. Hyde on the other hand totally innocent looking play out until Conference Championships.

I actually think Harris should be kept out a bit to heal/strengthen.  RBs by the nature of the position go head first into a scrum of guys every carry.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills have Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, a good OL and a solid running back room. 

So what’s the problem?

A) Dorsey

B) Lack of a trustworthy #2

C) Both 

I think juries out on (A) although my patience is wearing thin.   (B) though .. (B) is clearly an issue.

Davis isn’t it.  He’s a really good WR3 / Down The Field Threat.  

We have three options…

Hope rookie TE Kincaid develops into that this season

OR trade for a more well rounded WR

OR Shakir/Harty become more reliably integrated in the offense as the season goes on.  

If none of those happen.. I fear we’re stuck with this unpredictable high variance offense.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFooteball said:

Wow that was something else. 1 yard away from having my worse regular season football week in my life. The drought years never expected anything. But started last week in London which I’m still salty about the huge advantage (admitted by jags players and goodell) of team having an entire week in London vs another just traveling over Nice experiment!! Lose that game, lose our 2 best defenders for season (after losing white), this week NFC goes 0-5 against AFC. Bills losing to tyrod on final play of game would have capped it off. I’ll take the W but I’m definitely concerned 

But our "sports science" guys said it wouldn't be a problem!  🤪

If the entire week in London is such an advantage, Bills should fly out on Sunday night after the previous game next time.  But I hope there isn't a next time.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

But he knew it inside and out for three years. You would think that he sat down with the defensive coaches and let them know some tendencies.

that's why you have to try to be a flexible offense that can play and win different ways 

Not growing and adapting is going backwards In the NFL 

56 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

They do not get to keep a playbook, but a lot of football players seem to have phenomenal memories which I'm sure they carry over into their coaching days, and of course you can't take away a man's personal notes.

Well, if we hadn't missed 2 makeable FG, we would have scored 20

Ofc he can give an insight but at the end of the day it's about executing between the lines

And the best offenses and defensives grow and adjust .. you gotta be able to win ugly or a shootout... It isn't always gonna be pretty 

27 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Idk if they’ll be difficult to overcome yet but you certainly can’t give an injury excuse to only one team.

elam playing due to injuries is just free yards and the defense has still looked pretty decent with Williams/Bernard 

they played a terrible offense that some of which was due to Daniel jones and some of which was due to not having their best offensive player until now.  They had some other pretty big pieces return too 

not enough credit is being given to the giants front 7 imo just because their team is ‘bad’. Those guys were everywhere tonight.  Best front 7 performance we’ve seen against us all year including the jets…I’m sure some was Daboll having the inside scoop though 

I don’t think there’s been a team in recent memory that has powered through key defensive player injuries better than the bills…the ravens are up there too 

we saw a few real high power offenses with our entire starting secondary injured last season and held up pretty well and we’ve got guys deep down the depth chart stepping up and playing pretty well this year too 

genuinely who looks Super Bowl worthy right now?  Eagles and 49ers both looked mortal today, chiefs have been up and down, dolphins we’ve beat already 

The NFL changes on a dime week to week. I think in the NFC the Lions have entered the conversation with the Eagles and Niners. In the AFC I think you have 5-6 teams really in the mix with KC, Buffalo, Miami, Baltimore, Jacksonville and Cincy all in the mix.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The NFL changes on a dime week to week. I think in the NFC the Lions have entered the conversation with the Eagles and Niners. In the AFC I think you have 5-6 teams really in the mix with KC, Buffalo, Miami, Baltimore, Jacksonville and Cincy all in the mix.

add in the Jets, Browns, Steelers with any sort of above average QB play. Houston possible dark horse

7 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

add in the Jets, Browns, Steelers with any sort of above average QB play. Houston possible dark horse

Outside of the Browns Those teams don’t have the QB play to be competitive with elite teams in my opinion. Houston I do like as a solid team but much like the Bills in 2019 I think they are a year away.

Kirk Cousins exercising his no trade also means no decent QB is going to be there via trade either. So those teams are likely “stuck” with their Qb situations.

29 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I watched the Bengals game while here in France. They are a mess. Their offense is somehow worse than the Bills. The ONLY reason they beat Seattle yesterday was because Geno Smith simply refused to throw the football. It was ugly from start to finish. 

• Agree 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I watched the Bengals game while here in France. They are a mess. Their offense is somehow worse than the Bills. The ONLY reason they beat Seattle yesterday was because Geno Smith simply refused to throw the football. It was ugly from start to finish. 

I tossed the Bengals in there off reputation and the fact that if Joe Burrow gets somewhat healthy they will be a lot better on offense even if their offensive line is still a big issue for them. They survived the bad start and are back at .500 can’t rule them out

Just now, billsfan89 said:

I tossed the Bengals in there off reputation and the fact that if Joe Burrow gets somewhat healthy they will be a lot better on offense even if their offensive line is still a big issue for them. They survived the bad start and are back at .500 can’t rule them out

Can’t rule them out, but wow their offense is horrific. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

I think Harris got a bad stinger. The hit was clean, almost looked like a whiplash injury. After Hamlin the NFL is going to always err on the side of caution. He’ll be back in a 2-3 weeks in my armchair doc opinion.

He's not a game changer or even really a contributor on the offense. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

But because they're not the team we suffer with, they are inherently more dangerous than our own Bills, right? (Not asking you, so much as who you were responding to.)

I’m not sure who they remind me of (maybe Kirk Cousins) but Burrow is the new King of the Checkdown. It’s really ugly. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

The Bills have Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs, a good OL and a solid running back room. 

So what’s the problem?

A) Dorsey

B) Lack of a trustworthy #2

C) Both 

I think juries out on (A) although my patience is wearing thin.   (B) though .. (B) is clearly an issue.

Davis isn’t it.  He’s a really good WR3 / Down The Field Threat.  

We have three options…

Hope rookie TE Kincaid develops into that this season

OR trade for a more well rounded WR

OR Shakir/Harty become more reliably integrated in the offense as the season goes on.  

If none of those happen.. I fear we’re stuck with this unpredictable high variance offense.   

Agree with everything but your first sentence. The running back room is nothing special. Murray is just ok and pretty good as a back up RB. Cook is nothing special. Teams don't have to game plan for him. He's not a game changer and remains inconsistent. Some of that is due to the scheme and lack of putting him in the best situation to succeed. Bottom line is the Bills running game is nothing special or scary for opposing defenses to defend. Allen needs to be included in the conversation but he's not. That's really a big point of contention. Taking away Allen's legs certainly decreased the Bills chances to win. 

Secondly, it's the oline. How good are they? They seem improved from last year but that's not saying much. The jury is out on whether they are good or good enough. Brown is still a liability, Torrence is still young and learning, and the others are decent to good. They have no elite pieces on the line. The last couple of games Allen has been pressured often. Seems like the promising oline start is showing some of its weaknesses. 

In a nutshell, the Bills have Allen and Diggs offensively. Everyone else is just a dime a dozen. Can be interchangeable with numerous other players on other teams. They lack creativity, explosiveness, and consistency. 

On defense, the Bills have no game changers. Von is still a work in progress, Poyer and Hyde aren't the same, the pass rushers are not reliable, inconsistent and hot or cold from game to game. 

This team looks to be in survival mode rather than killer mode. The game tonight is a great example of this. I think this team is in serious jeopardy of losing the division and perhaps even a playoff birth.

The McD and Beane era is on the decline. A decline that many will deny. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.