Predicting Von Miller's return date

Logic

So we know that the Bills are about to activate Von Miller from PUP.

He'll return to practice, and a several week window will open up, during which time the Bills will need to decide when to elevate him to the 53-man roster.

Personally, I don't expect Von to return immediately. Even once they elevate him to the roster, I think he'll have a game or two where he travels with the team, does pre-game warmups, but is inactive. I expect the Bills to use the "Tre White recovery model" from last year. I'm not saying that's what they SHOULD do, I'm saying it's what I think they WILL do.

I expect Von Miller to suit up and return to the football field on 11/5 against Cincinnati. Knowing how cautious the Bills are with injuries like this and how much they need Von to be productive (both on the field and from a contract standpoint), I think the New York and New England games are a bit too soon. Then there's a short week against Tampa Bay on Thursday Night Football. But after THAT, there's 9 days until the next game, and it's a big time, Sunday Night Football AFC matchup against the Bengals. That's when I think we see Von Miller for the first time.

How about y'all? When do you see Von Miller back in action?

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 4

I agree that they will be super cautious. I think they will want him 100% by Cincinnati so they will ramp him up starting with Pats game. Maybe he plays a handful of snaps just to get his legs under him. Then a little more vs Bucs.

And personally I think he wants to play vs Denver so there's that too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

He said if he's a betting man he'd expect him back for the Jags game so scratch that.  I'll predict the Giants game just because he pry watched the game last night and will threaten to retire if the Bills don't let him back out on the field in Prime Time against that o-line.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He said if he's a betting man he'd expect him back for the Jags game so scratch that.  I'll predict the Giants game just because he pry watched the game last night and will threaten to retire if the Bills don't let him back out on the field in Prime Time against that o-line.

He’s said quite a bit since coming to Buffalo. 

I, for one, have no interest in his words. 

They’re not paying him too much money to talk. 

They’re paying him too much money ton contribute to the defense. 

The defense that’s doing quite well on the field while he continues to talk whilst wearing civilian clothes. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He did also say how tough it'd be since he'd only have one practice in pads this week, but Von has always been a guy who tries to will the positive to happen. Week 6 is far more realistic, but week 5 isn't impossible.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

He did also say how tough it'd be since he'd only have one practice in pads this week, but Von has always been a guy who tries to will the positive to happen. Week 6 is far more realistic, but week 5 isn't impossible.

I thought it was possible before he predicted it.  A slow ramp up process is definitely the way to go but I doubt they start that until he's had at least two weeks of practice. 

18 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

If I’m not mistaken I think he has 21 days to be activated to the roster. 

He has 21 days to be activated to the roster once the team takes him off of PUP.

However, the team can technically keep him on PUP as long as they want. 

For example: My personal desire was for him to stay on PUP another 4 to 5 weeks, then allow him to practice for 21 days, and then he plays his first game against the Chiefs on December 10th.

That scenario would give us a healthy Von Miller for the home stretch (Chiefs, Cowboys, Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins) and the playoffs. I see a lot of benefit in a fresh, healthy, rested (very little wear and tear from the season) elite pass rusher for the playoff run.

However, judging by McDermott’s comments, it sounds like he is coming off PUP this week. Maybe already has.

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He has 21 days to be activated to the roster once the team takes him off of PUP.

However, the team can technically keep him on PUP as long as they want. 

For example: My personal desire was for him to stay on PUP another 4 to 5 weeks, then allow him to practice for 21 days, and then he plays his first game against the Chiefs on December 10th.

That scenario would give us a healthy Von Miller for the home stretch (Chiefs, Cowboys, Chargers, Patriots, Dolphins) and the playoffs. I see a lot of benefit in a fresh, healthy, rested (very little wear and tear from the season) elite pass rusher for the playoff run.

However, judging by McDermott’s comments, it sounds like he is coming off PUP this week. Maybe already has.

We need to ramp him up before then on a low pitch count. There’s nothing wrong with bringing them back against the Giants and only letting him get a certain amount of snaps. Let him get his legs underneath them before we play the Chiefs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We need to ramp him up before then on a low pitch count. There’s nothing wrong with bringing them back against the Giants and only letting him get a certain amount of snaps. Let him get his legs underneath them before we play the Chiefs.

Can't overlook the Eagles that would be a statement win before the bye.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It’ll be against the Giants at home

Poor Daniel Jones. If Monday night is any indication, then Jones will be sacked around 15 times and knocked down about a dozen other times as well.

6 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Oh hell, I'll make a crazy prediction here. Von suits up Sunday. 

Not sure he starts and he will see somewhere between 8-12 snaps. Mostly on obvious pass rush situations. Kind of a scrimmage situation for Von. Go out there, run around and chase a bit. Reassess how he is after. 

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

He’s said quite a bit since coming to Buffalo. 

I, for one, have no interest in his words. 

They’re not paying him too much money to talk. 

They’re paying him too much money ton contribute to the defense. 

The defense that’s doing quite well on the field while he continues to talk whilst wearing civilian clothes. 

Not sure if he's overpaid, time will tell, and he probably would have been the straw that won the Jets game if he was active but agree that he needs to be a TEAMMATE 1st and leave the self promoting until after the season.

Time for VM to put his 'podcast' on hiatus. Distractions like his golf cart races and chucklehead interviews with players last year were symptomatic of the teams lack of focus. Needs to concentrate on fitting in and being a leader and not standing out.

On 10/4/2023 at 1:06 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Not sure he starts and he will see somewhere between 8-12 snaps. Mostly on obvious pass rush situations. Kind of a scrimmage situation for Von. Go out there, run around and chase a bit. Reassess how he is after. 

Not sure he starts and he will see somewhere between 8-12 snaps. Mostly on obvious pass rush situations. Kind of a scrimm

Maybe I wasn't so crazy after all....

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Some time in November. Absolutely no reason to rush him back. Dude is in the twilight of his career, our d line is playing well, and we want a SB. 

the only ones who want him back are stupid fans who have zero foresight. 

If they're contemplating this week there's no way he's not playing until November.

20 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If he's ready to be back then he's ready, and he could probably add something even more to an already great pass rush.

1 minute ago, rafter said:

I think hes got a good chance. He'll definitely be on a pitch count. Id expect him on 3rd and long if anything.

He's had some London trip promotional giveaway thing in the works for a long time, so of course Von is traveling with the team.

And I also think he wanted to avoid PUP, and is itching to play, so letting him see a handful of obvious passing reps might be a wise superstar management strategy (especially with Groot dealing with foot pain). 

• Like (+1) 1

Side note about Von for the semantically inclined... 

NFL.com calls Miller an OLB. I've seen a few other reporters do the same. Isn't this only correct when he plays in a 3-4 D? In a 4-end front, he's a "defensive end" or "edge rusher."

OLB Von Miller (knee) told reporters Friday that it would be a "safe bet" he makes his return this Sunday. Miller is questionable for Sunday's game.

Unless I'm wrong, how can these giant news agencies be making this kind of mistake?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.