Q Williams fined 2x for unnecessary roughness.

sunshynman

Why are the refs not calling this BS. If NFL really cared about late and unr hits, they would put a ref in the booth or a call from NY to start calling these penalties. These fines mean nothing to the players. Suspend them for a game, take away a game check, make the team suffer. Then it will stop. 

Allen could have easily gotten concussed on the late hit. 

https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/rules-enforcement/gameday-accountability/

Edited by sunshynman
Grammar
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

And that was one that called. Even though it was weak. They don’t care about player safety. 

I didn't realize they were fining guys for taunting. Not sure if I like that or not....

Definitely don't like the fact that it's almost the same fine as Q Williams got for trying to scramble somebody's brains. 

That's messed up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Two unnecessary roughness calls are supposed to result in player being ejected hence reason why not called.

If they claim they only saw it on film then they need a film referee and if they only can spot after game player needs to be suspended, even if it is playoffs or Superbowl, the player is healthy.

A ref in the booth watching live or with replay ability. Or a team at a remote location could catch that in game. 

NFL doesn’t want to call them. 

Edited by sunshynman
Type to fast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

These fines are useless. 

I’ve calculated this out before, and it’s like the equivalent to a parking ticket for the average American. 

Annoying, but not nearly enough to deter future behavior, especially when you’re considering the larger amounts of money. 

Fines used to go to charity but not sure if they are anymore.

Players did not really care in this case except the team fines for missing practices, holding out, etc.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

How many fines do the keys have for this game now? I try not to be "refs suck guy" but man it was garbage and to see al these fines handed out after the fact is useless. Do your Reffin jobs and throw the flags and THEN fine them too. 

the refs should be fined for missing these calls

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

How many fines do the keys have for this game now? I try not to be "refs suck guy" but man it was garbage and to see al these fines handed out after the fact is useless. Do your Reffin jobs and throw the flags and THEN fine them too. 

Seriously.  I feel like we’ve been on the butt end of approximately 2,542 instances of “Teehee, that should’ve been a flag during the game, sorry about that!!!” in the last 5 or 6 years

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Gotta give ESPN credit for immediately showing the replay and highlighting the missed trip.  NFL announcers and broadcast partners usually go out of their way to schill for the NFL.  

I’ve never heard of a team being fined 3 times in 1 game for uncalled penalties.  Maybe Florio should write a story about that instead of trying to cause a stir about a reporter on a hit mic saying Diggs is hard to interview.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I didn't realize they were fining guys for taunting. Not sure if I like that or not....

Definitely don't like the fact that it's almost the same fine as Q Williams got for trying to scramble somebody's brains. 

That's messed up.

"taunting". its so weak, and not only adds nothing to the game flagging these, but it abs takes away from the game

if milano steps over him like iverson in the finals...... sure. but if im remembering it right, he popped up quick, flexed at the guy, and kept moving? am i misremembering this? its such an instinctual involuntary reaction from an excited player. no im not being a homer either, id hate that call on anyone. dont want players showboating, being ignorant, sure, but trying to force these guys into robot mode is stupid

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

"taunting". its so weak, and not only adds nothing to the game flagging these, but it abs takes away from the game

if milano steps over him like iverson in the finals...... sure. but if im remembering it right, he popped up quick, flexed at the guy, and kept moving? am i misremembering this? its such an instinctual involuntary reaction from an excited player. no im not being a homer either, id hate that call on anyone. dont want players showboating, being ignorant, sure, but trying to force these guys into robot mode is stupid

I've seen enough kids embarrassing themselves by emulating these guys that I don't have too much problem with the league trying to keep it tamped down.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Fines used to go to charity but not sure if they are anymore.

Players did not really care in this case except the team fines for missing practices, holding out, etc.

The CBA agreement that runs through 2030 has the fines being donated to charities such as the Gene Upshaw Player Assistance Trust, which helps former players who are facing financial hardship and those who wish to return to school to earn their degrees, it also donates to the NFL Player Care Foundation, which assists former players with medical, emotional, financial, social, and community issues. Last season was a record setting one in fines paid, with over $14.5 million after just 12 games.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

These fines are useless. 

I’ve calculated this out before, and it’s like the equivalent to a parking ticket for the average American. 

Annoying, but not nearly enough to deter future behavior, especially when you’re considering the larger amounts of money. 

That is only somewhat true, a rookie on a minimum salary deal who gets fined for roughing the passer would be the equivalent of almost $1,700 for someone making $75,000 a year. That's a big parking ticket.

A player would need to be making over $20 mil to get it down to the the $60 or parking ticket range.

Allen is a big boy, so teams (especially the Jets) take liberties

as we saw with Newton, refs don’t call the book the same with big athletic QBs.  If we had Kyle Allen taking helmet to helmet shots and being dove on top of, I bet my life a flag would have been throw 

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Blackbeard said:

Refs need to be fined 

Or take a head shot or two.

12 hours ago, sunshynman said:

Why are the refs not calling this BS. If NFL really cared about late and unr hits, they would put a ref in the booth or a call from NY to start calling these penalties. These fines mean nothing to the players. Suspend them for a game, take away a game check, make the team suffer. Then it will stop. 

https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/rules-enforcement/gameday-accountability/

He probably was...

Edited by Doc
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

I love Josh but he brings this upon himself. If a 6’5” QB goes up the middle standing up then he might get jacked up. 

It’s true that some of it is self-inflicted. It is also true that they were jumping on top of him late, well after the play was over. Dumb is on us, dirty is on the Jets. If they want to call Milano for a weak taunt, you have to call launching a 340 pound man onto a QB’s head after the play a penalty. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, sunshynman said:

Been like this for a while now. For whatever reason the flag rates on these plays that eventually result in fines is pretty low.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The shield is incredibly inconsistent and Goodell talks out of both sides of his mouth.  Unless the play is beyond egregious,  the refs will just let it go depending on that games script. 

I thought the script writers were on strike! Who is writing these scripts? Scabs?   😱

But seriously…..who is writing a “script” here? It’s a game, and stuff happens. It’s not predetermined. Am I misunderstanding something? 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, sunshynman said:

Just for clarification, since the Jets have 2 Q Williams’, it was Quincy Williams who got the fines, not Quinnen Williams.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

In European football, if a player gets flagged twice in a match they miss the next game. The NFL should look at something like this. A player with multiple calls or missed calls that turn into fines should be suspended for a game. Watch the tide turn. 

They already do. Not all fouls get a yellow card in soccer. Only dangerous plays.

The NFL already ejects people for two of certain type of penalties. I could see them expanding that to two of any 15 yard personal fouls. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.