Week 2 Bills vs Raiders Home Opener!

BuffaloBillyG

Regarding the game, one thing Jimmy G is really good at is pocket awareness.  He's tough to sack, he will get that ball out Fast... or check into a better play.  Under Leslie's defense, a QB like Jimmy G would nickel and dime us to death and not be forced into mistakes.  Hopefully McDermott is in the Lab to figure something else out.

• Like (+1) 1

When I think of Bills/Raiders, I’m too “young” at a mere 55 years old to go back to the AFL days like some of you are fortunate to be able to do.  But, I can go back to the glorious ‘90-‘91 season AFC championship game and the 51-3 whooping we put on the “Autumn Wind is a Raider” legacy.  

The only realistic hope I have now is not to end the game with a sore throat from yelling at the TV and needing 2mg of Xanax to calm down. Go Bills!!

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Like (+1) 5

Just win this game, offense get your act together and move on from this past week.  

Hard for me to get super excited about anything else. 

Hopefully the Pats and Cowboys win so that by Monday morning, we’re all sitting at 1-1 in the AFCE. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree that 12 personal package wasn't very daunting. I believe Knox and Kincaid combined had combined 7 catches for 50 yards. 

That hardly significant or Gronk/Hernandez like. 

TBF, they're working the kinks out of it.  Being on the road in week one against one of the best D's in the NFL was always going to be a tall order.  I expect to see this package get a lot more productive over the season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

These home games where it seems like a great opportunity to "get right" seem to go off the rails sometimes.  For this game, I'm going to predict the offense gets its act together and executes well.  But inexplicably, the defense is going to get moved on and gashed more than we envision as of today.  So I see the Bills surviving a nail biter something like 31-27.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, zow2 said:

These home games where it seems like a great opportunity to "get right" seem to go off the rails sometimes.  For this game, I'm going to predict the offense gets its act together and executes well.  But inexplicably, the defense is going to get moved on and gashed more than we envision as of today.  So I see the Bills surviving a nail biter something like 31-27.

Yeah I see a nail biter as well. I'd love a blow out where we can all relax in the 4th quarter and spend our time looking for images of josh and diggs being friends on the sideline but that would surprise me

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree that 12 personal package wasn't very daunting. I believe Knox and Kincaid combined had combined 7 catches for 50 yards. 

That hardly significant or Gronk/Hernandez like. 

Those guys were open so many times, but not targeted. Could have had a huge game. Every pass to them was an easy 7 yards. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

A win like that, against the Raiders, would most certainly not have me feeling good. Can’t beat a Zach Wilson led Jets team and then barely beat a completely average Raiders team. Would have be hesitant to call the Bills a playoff team, nevertheless a playoff contender. 

I could be happy with that if Josh was 80 for 100, 1200 yards, no TO, and 1 TD, but Diggs, Davis, Kincaide, Knox, Cook, Harty, and Sherfield  all lost their pointer fingers and accounted for 17 fumbles. Imagine 17 fumbles and only allowing 7 points. What a defensive stand! 

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Weird thing today. Routinely the video feed comes up and then you start to see tweets from the reporters quoting the PC, which is what I look for to quote tweet and share the info here.

Today...nothing. Could not find one tweet. Not even from Sal. Maybe I missed some? But it seems like Buffalo sports media was radio silent for this morning on team coverage 🤔🤔🤔

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Those guys were open so many times, but not targeted. Could have had a huge game. Every pass to them was an easy 7 yards. 

That's flawed logic because it didn't happen. 

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

TBF, they're working the kinks out of it.  Being on the road in week one against one of the best D's in the NFL was always going to be a tall order.  I expect to see this package get a lot more productive over the season.

That is realistic. Time will tell how effective or ineffective it will be. We fans can't assume the 12 package is going to be gold. 

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

That's flawed logic because it didn't happen. 

That is realistic. Time will tell how effective or ineffective it will be. We fans can't assume the 12 package is going to be gold. 

well, it’s called predicting. And anyone who saw the game film saw how effective those guys were in limited targets. Plus, the times they were just standing there wide open and Josh wasn’t throwing to them. they just need the targets.

https://x.com/aaronquinn716/status/1701568374042431946?s=46&t=uEztWLHQe9squs0mVCzJCQ

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

well, it’s called predicting. And anyone who saw the game film saw how effective those guys were in limited targets. Plus, the times they were just standing there wide open and Josh wasn’t throwing to them. they just need the targets.

https://x.com/aaronquinn716/status/1701568374042431946?s=46&t=uEztWLHQe9squs0mVCzJCQ

What good are they if they don't get targeted? Something has to change because what happened didn't work. 

Ever think the Bills were playing soft on the Bills TEs and basically giving up the 4 yards a catch? Ever think the route running by both TEs wasn't anything special because the Jets are softer in the middle? Ever think the Jets weren't worried about shutting down Knox and Kincaid? 

Whatever you think the TE play statistically had little effect on the game. The Jets seemingly were not worried about Kincaid. He was an afterthought by the Jets and Allen. 

I think any team will happy with limiting a TE to 4-4 and 26 yards. Yet Bills fans are so encouraged by that performance. IMHO, it's fans hoping for the best. Nothing more than that. 

I'll wait for some real production, game changing plays, big first downs, and TDs before I anoint Kincaid the next coming. 

Hopefully, he has a great game vs the Raiders. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3

9 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

What good are they if they don't get targeted? Something has to change because what happened didn't work. 

Ever think the Bills were playing soft on the Bills TEs and basically giving up the 4 yards a catch? Ever think the route running by both TEs wasn't anything special because the Jets are softer in the middle? Ever think the Jets weren't worried about shutting down Knox and Kincaid? 

Whatever you think the TE play statistically had little effect on the game. The Jets seemingly were not worried about Kincaid. He was an afterthought by the Jets and Allen. 

I think any team will happy with limiting a TE to 4-4 and 26 yards. Yet Bills fans are so encouraged by that performance. IMHO, it's fans hoping for the best. Nothing more than that. 

I'll wait for some real production, game changing plays, big first downs, and TDs before I anoint Kincaid the next coming. 

Hopefully, he has a great game vs the Raiders. 

As with all things in life a little context helps.  Newcam you lack any nuance in your post. 4 targets for a rookie TE is actually a decent amount. TE's take a while to develop. Now I've said all off-season he is a pass catcher not a TE. Even there, 4 targets for a rookie pass catcher on a team with a superstar WR and solid other options is pretty good.  So yes there is something to be encouraged about that performance.  

For reference, Kelce missed his entire rookie year. In his first game of the second year he caught 3 of 5 targets for 49 yards. Kittle first game 5 rec on 6 targets for 27 yards. Gronk 1 rec on 1 target for 1 yard.  Hockenson is the outlier catching 6 balls for 131 yards and TD.  The next two games though he would combine for 2 catches for 8 yards. 

So 4-4 for 26 in his first game is just fine.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

As with all things in life a little context helps.  Newcam you lack any nuance in your post. 4 targets for a rookie TE is actually a decent amount. TE's take a while to develop. Now I've said all off-season he is a pass catcher not a TE. Even there, 4 targets for a rookie pass catcher on a team with a superstar WR and solid other options is pretty good.  So yes there is something to be encouraged about that performance.  

For reference, Kelce missed his entire rookie year. In his first game of the second year he caught 3 of 5 targets for 49 yards. Kittle first game 5 rec on 6 targets for 27 yards. Gronk 1 rec on 1 target for 1 yard.  Hockenson is the outlier catching 6 balls for 131 yards and TD.  The next two games though he would combine for 2 catches for 8 yards. 

So 4-4 for 26 in his first game is just fine.

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm not saying Kincaid looked bad. I'm just saying his role, results, and stats were nothing to indicate he's the next Kelce. It was acceptable for his first game. He can improve and hopefully get more involved in the game plan. Or he can be non significant and largely a non significant factor like he was vs the Jets. I'd give Kincaid an overall  B to B minus grade for his first game. D grade for stats and results. 

Take a look at the LaPorta's and Musgrave's first games. They were statistically better than Kincaid's. Just something to think about. Watching the Chiefs game and I specifically remember LaPorta making some nice plays. He stood out to me way more than Kincaid. Ask yourself why? Is he better than Kincaid? Nope and nope and nope. It's offensive coaching, schemes, and play calling. I have serious doubts Dorsey can utilize Kincaid to the best of his ability. Josh is a whole nother story too. 

In my humble opinion Bills fans are largely looking for anything good to get excited by Kincaid. The Jets game is a great example of this. 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

70861662007-allen-2.jpg?width=660&height

Can Josh Allen fix his turnover issues? Here's what Buffalo Bills coaches, players say

Over the past few months there was a surprising amount of doubt in some national media circles regarding the viability of the Buffalo Bills as a legitimate championship contender this season.

One of the popular theories was that Josh Allen’s propensity for turning the ball over was going to continue because he simply can’t - or won’t - pull back the reins on some of his reckless decision making. In turn, that would lead to the Bills’ narrow Super Bowl window closing even further.

Well, the talking heads sure had a good ol’ time patting themselves on the back the last few days as Allen feverishly fed that narrative with a four-turnover meltdown which led directly to a 22-16 overtime loss to the Jets.

Ball security a priority for Buffalo Bills, Josh Allen

“When there’s one (turnover), you can kind of digest that a little bit because things happen, right? When it becomes multiple, that’s when it’s a hard pill to swallow. So it’s really just about taking that negative situation, try to learn from it and quickly turning it back into a positive and get your mind back to playing winning football.”

Bills coaches, players confident Josh Allen will rebound

Dorsey believes Allen will shrug off Monday night because he’s done it in the past when he’s had a rough game. He has full confidence that Monday night’s snowball won’t keep rolling downhill and become an avalanche of trouble.

Dorsey believes Allen will shrug off Monday night because he’s done it in the past when he’s had a rough game. He has full confidence that Monday night’s snowball won’t keep rolling downhill and become an avalanche of trouble.

“I don’t think you get to the point of his career and I don’t think you get to as many games as he’s won as a starter if this were something that happens every single game,”

So does Stefon Diggs.

“You’re not by yourself, we’re in this thing together,” Diggs said when asked what he has told Allen. “I’ve got his back, we’ve got his back regardless of what happens. It’s one game, move forward. We’ll shake back, we always do. There’s nothing you can do about it now, just get one this week.”

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't disagree with any of this. I'm not saying Kincaid looked bad. I'm just saying his role, results, and stats were nothing to indicate he's the next Kelce. It was acceptable for his first game. He can improve and hopefully get more involved in the game plan. Or he can be non significant and largely a non significant factor like he was vs the Jets. I'd give Kincaid an overall  B to B minus grade for his first game. D grade for stats and results. 

Take a look at the LaPorta's and Musgrave's first games. They were statistically better than Kincaid's. Just something to think about. Watching the Chiefs game and I specifically remember LaPorta making some nice plays. He stood out to me way more than Kincaid. Ask yourself why? Is he better than Kincaid? Nope and nope and nope. It's offensive coaching, schemes, and play calling. I have serious doubts Dorsey can utilize Kincaid to the best of his ability. Josh is a whole nother story too. 

In my humble opinion Bills fans are largely looking for anything good to get excited by Kincaid. The Jets game is a great example of this. 

Kelce's first real game he had 3 catches for 49 yards in a 26-10 loss to the Titans.  Nobody is saying Kincaid is Kelce, but I think the kid is going to be a really good TE.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Blue on White lets see how we are historically....

2023-24 Season Record

Blue on Blue 0-1

Historic Uniform Record (since not Navy)

Since 2011- Blue on White 42-26

Since 2011- White on White 20-28-1

Since 2012- White on White (Throwback) 8-4

Since 2012- White on Blue 16-22

Since 2014- Blue on Blue 18-9

Since 2015- Red on Red 7-2

Josh Allen Uniform Record

Blue on White 16-7

White on White 13-7-1

White on White (Throwback) 3-2

White on Blue 10-8

Blue on Blue 12-6

Red on Red 5-1

Primetime Historic Uniform Record (No Saturday Nights)

Blue on White   0-2         TNF 0-0                SNF 0-0                MNF 0-2

White on White 1-1-1     TNF 0-0                SNF 1-0                MNF 1-1-1

White on Blue   3-3         TNF 1-2                SNF 1-0                MNF 1-1

Blue on Blue     3-1         TNF 1-0                 SNF 1-0                MNF 1-1

Red on Red       2-0         TNF 1-0                SNF 1-0                MNF 0-0

Playoffs Uniform Record

Blue on White 3-0

White on White 0-1

White on Blue 0-3

Blue on Blue 1-1

11 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Geezus.  Getting all worked up after one game.  A game in which we had a 4 turnovers so our possessions are limited.

Jamar Chase had 2 catches for 26 in his first game.  Elijah Moore had 6 catches in his first game.  Moore was statistically better than Chase.  Just something to think about.  Ask yourself, is Moore better than Chase?  Nope, Nope, Nope.

Its offensive schemes, coaching and play calling.  I don’t think Taylor can utilize Chase to his ability.

In my humble opinion, you think purely on biased emotion without logical thinking (i.e Bills can’t beat the Titans and Steelers (what you said this summer) and you search for any negativity you can hold onto.  This post and almost all of your posts prove this.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2023 NFL defense rankings: Week 2 game previews, best fantasy defenses

https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-defense-rankings/

9. Buffalo Bills

NFL-AFC-Divisional-Round-Baltimore-Raven

Previously: 9th in NFL defense rankings.

Buffalo’s defense was not at fault for its Week 1 loss to the New York Jets. It didn’t help that quarterback Josh Allen turned the ball over four times in a game that went to overtime. The Bills held New York to 289 yards of offense and 16 points. It got to Aaron Rodgers to a sack before he went down to injury. Zach Wilson was sacked two more times. The one blip here was Breece Hall’s 83-yard run in the first quarter. Other than that, the Bills’ defense played great ball.

Buffalo Bills aim to strengthen run defense against Josh Jacobs, Raiders

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-las-vegas-raiders-josh-jacobs-run-defense-nfl-week-2

64fffd7b28ce3.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

The Buffalo Bills know not to be deceived by the numbers that Las Vegas Raiders running back Josh Jacobs put up in Week 1.

As the Bills gear up for the home opener Sunday against the Raiders, defensive players hope to prove their Week 1 run defense numbers were also misleading.

The Bills allowed 172 rushing yards on 28 carries – 6.1 yards per carry – to the Jets. It was the fourth most allowed in the NFL for Week 1.

“Physicality at the point of attack is important for us as we continue to try to take another step here this week as we move forward,” McDermott said earlier in the week.

“Energy and focus have been there,” Lawson said about practice this week. “Whatever the runs we had problems with last week, we’re going to see them this year, because the NFL’s a copycat league. We’ve just gotta be able to start upfront.”

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Geezus.  Getting all worked up after one game.  A game in which we had a 4 turnovers so our possessions are limited.

Jamar Chase had 2 catches for 26 in his first game.  Elijah Moore had 6 catches in his first game.  Moore was statistically better than Chase.  Just something to think about.  Ask yourself, is Moore better than Chase?  Nope, Nope, Nope.

Its offensive schemes, coaching and play calling.  I don’t think Taylor can utilize Chase to his ability.

In my humble opinion, you think purely on biased emotion without logical thinking (i.e Bills can’t beat the Titans and Steelers (what you said this summer) and you search for any negativity you can hold onto.  This post and almost all of your posts prove this.

crusade

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Your example of Chase and Moore are terrible. Chase is a proven commodity and Elijah more has played 29 games. It's not even in the same stratosphere as what I was saying. 

I compared Kincaid to LaPorta and Musgrave who have all played 1 game. Do the math. 

Did you see where I agreed with the previous  poster's positive statements? Did you see where I said Kincaid didn't play bad? I guess that didn't fit your narrative. 

I guess I have a difficult time accepting and listening to all the Kincaid hype. It's been a constant theme on this forum from pretty much day one.

Look I want the guy to be better than Kelce. However, I need to see something on the field. The Jets game was encouraging but far from awe inspiring either. The other tight ends drafted behind him looked as good or better than him. Not saying Kincaid won't be the better pro. Not saying he won't be an all pro. Not saying he won't be elite. I'm saying let the guy prove it on the field. Let's see what kind of positive impact he can have. I don't see all the hype after the Jet performance. Yes it's one game vs a tough Jet D. I get that. There were things to like that Kincaid did. 

And no I'm not getting all worked up after one game. That's your incorrect interpretation. You want to talk about being logical but then you make the illogical conclusions and judgements.

Got it!

Edited by newcam2012
  • Dislike 1

pretty obvious but...

If Josh Allen doesn't play 'smarter football,' Bills are destined to underachieve

Jarrett Bell  USA TODAY

Josh Allen's problematic turnovers and the inherent overreactions of Week 1.

f6649ecc-cd24-49d5-9c96-bc98d7dc198b-AP_

Eighty-four.

That’s the number attached to Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen that resonates.

No, that’s not the total of TV commercials the much-hyped Allen is appearing in these days. It’s the 84 turnovers Allen has committed since entering the NFL in 2018 – and it’s the highest figure of any player during that span.

What happened on Monday night – with all three picks going to safety Jordan Whitehead – added to the pattern that says a lot about why the Bills have yet to push through to the Super Bowl stage despite being a sexy championship pick in recent years.

Allen needs to become a smarter football player, which would include sensing situations in the moment such as what to do when running in the open field in addition to the game-management situations.

If the Bills are going live up their promise as a legit contender, they need their best player to…

“Obviously,” he said, “gotta play smarter football.”

It would be quite the leadership by example for a player, like his team, that has glaringly underachieved.

“Trying to learn from it,” Allen added of his Week 1 setback. “It’s not the first time I’ve thrown three (interceptions)…might not be the last.”

After an offseason of hype and anticipation, there’s nothing quite like the NFL’s Kickoff Weekend to fuel the overreactions.

Look at the standings now and the Bills, Kansas City Chiefs and Cincinnati Bengals – serious Super Bowl contenders in the AFC – are all sitting at 0-1.

The moral: Starting 0-1 is not a death sentence.

Instead, it’s an opportunity for (some) teams to demonstrate that they were just warming up.

sddefault.jpg

Fitz "is it too soon to hit the panic button? -Video-

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.