The revamped OL was awesome…NOT!

LabattBlue

I didn't think they looked that bad. Spencer Brown was the only one jumping out as being outmatched consistently. The Jets front is incredible and as much as I wish the line was the main issue to soothe the burn of that offensive performance, I just don't see it here.

• Agree 6

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

It’s the problem with pegging every guy to be at their ceiling when projecting. 

that said, the jets have an elite defense and are a very tough test for the bills roster style. It’s one of the worst matchups around. 

All that said, I thought they weren't horrible in pass-pro.  Even in the runs, when we went lateral we had some good production.

Of course, we ran at Q Williams a bunch for no gain.  Probably would've stopped doing that lmao.

Just now, FireChans said:

All that said, I thought they weren't horrible in pass-pro.  Even in the runs, when we went lateral we had some good production.

Of course, we ran at Q Williams a bunch for no gain.  Probably would've stopped doing that lmao.

Yup. 

honestly, we have a serviceable line that will generally be fine. A lot of folks got carried away with how good. We will see where it goes but I think they still win the division (especially with the Rodgers situation)

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

Jets defense is No. 1 in the league and it isn’t even close. I thought they were alright given the situation.

it’s a stinging loss but not terrible to remember this

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

The offensive line initially was fine against arguably the best D in the league. Allen kept running out of the pocket that was fairly clean or kept trying to take off running. Just sit still and deliver the football 

It’ll be interesting to see all 22 film to see if WRs were covered up or Allen wasn’t seeing the field well.

2 minutes ago, Process said:

There were several times where Allen freaked out and bailed on a clean pocket for absolutely no reason. 

Thought the line actually held up reasonably well considering the d they were up against. 

Perhaps he developed some bad habits behind that combination last year of a horrible o-line and playcalling that ignored the fact that it was a major weakness. He doesn't look comfortable back there and it's not because of the line's play today.

• Like (+1) 1

For whatever reason, the Bills had "rookie Josh" tonight.

I'm sure he will take full blame for the loss, chalk it up as one game against a very good defense, and move on from there.

I'm really shocked at how bad he played in the second half....mind boggling.

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

They weren't great, but I think there were times that Josh made them look worse than they actually were

100%. They battled their asses off against a good DLine and Josh did them zero favours. 

I'd be pissed if I was an OLman tonight. They playes well enough for Buffalo to win that game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

It was like he was suddenly possessed by JP Losman for an entire half. 

I think after the weird jump they got on him and he got into a weird in between state. We weren’t moving the ball well. Not great at running the ball. Really tight windows short. Not allowed to use his legs… and he got erratic. 

call me crazy but by the 4th quarter I would’ve been ok with a few designed runs for him even 

Just now, NoSaint said:

call me crazy but by the 4th quarter I would’ve been ok with a few designed runs for him even 

I was saying that he's in his own head and needs to quit overthinking everything and just play.

While I don't love the designed runs for him, they might have been just the ticket in that situation to get his mind right.

Did not seem like JA ever had time in the pocket. Sacked 5x and had to scramble a bunch of others

On our 3rd down in OT, Diggs was open but JA could not make an accurate throw because Q Williams was barreling unimpeded towards him

We get the 1st down , there is no Punt return

On most of the runs, there was nowhere to run

It does not seem like any of our OL additions really made a difference

https://x.com/SharpFootball/status/1701440484051222921?s=20

Josh Allen was pressured on 26% of dropbacks 10th lowest of any QB despite that, he took 9 hits (3rd most) and 5 sacks (5th most) while being sacked on 11% of dropbacks (5th most)

Was not on the OL folks. When the numbers look like that it is a Quarterback problem.

Edited by GunnerBill

3 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

Did not seem like JA ever had time in the pocket. Sacked 5x and had to scramble a bunch of others

On our 3rd down in OT, Diggs was open but JA could not make an accurate throw because Q Williams was barreling unimpeded towards him

Josh self-inflicted wounds. Seeing ghosts type play.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I was saying that he's in his own head and needs to quit overthinking everything and just play.

While I don't love the designed runs for him, they might have been just the ticket in that situation to get his mind right.

I don’t want them in the first quarter but at some point when all else fails that’s almost always been a fail safe… whether or not he played well tonight he’s still the most athletic guy on the field and it buys an extra blocker too.

I’ll also echo from another thread- I’m not sure whatever the sideline support is hits the mark and it may be worse with McD calling the defense. I’m tired of panning over to Josh alone, sans tablet, no coaches, no phone, just staring into the distance when it goes bad. I recall daboll moved back and forth with his setup depending on the flow of the offensive unit

4 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

On that 3rd down he ran towards pressure out of a clean pocket. That is on him.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

https://x.com/SharpFootball/status/1701440484051222921?s=20

Josh Allen was pressured on 26% of dropbacks 10th lowest of any QB despite that, he took 9 hits (3rd most) and 5 sacks (5th most) while being sacked on 11% of dropbacks (5th most)

Was not on the OL folks. When the numbers look like that it is a Quarterback problem.

what did coverage look like, I wonder. We only see so much on tv… but gabe was absent minus getting called out for a sloppy route on the interception his way. 

Just now, NoSaint said:

I don’t want them in the first quarter but at some point when all else fails that’s almost always been a fail safe… whether or not he played well tonight he’s still the most athletic guy on the field and it buys an extra blocker too.

I’ll also echo from another thread- I’m not sure whatever the sideline support is hits the mark and it may be worse with McD calling the defense. I’m tired of panning over to Josh alone, sans tablet, no coaches, no phone, just staring into the distance when it goes bad. I recall daboll moved back and forth with his setup depending on the flow of the offensive unit

Dabes ended up in the box solidly after the rookie season. But Dorsey was there with Josh. I wonder whether there is any rapport with Joe Brady. Maybe that is part of it. 

We could try Dorsey coming down. Gotta try something.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I’m tired of panning over to Josh alone, sans tablet, no coaches, no phone, just staring into the distance when it goes bad.

Agreed 100% on this if that was the actual case.

They could have had a camera on him for a full minute while he was talking to people and then only went to the shot for effect when he wasn't.

Just now, NoSaint said:

what did coverage look like, I wonder. We only see so much on tv… but gabe was absent minus getting called out for a sloppy route on the interception his way. 

Gabe was on the field less. They had Sherfield out there on some 2 receiver sets. Snap counts will be interesting.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Agreed 100% on this if that was the actual case.

They could have had a camera on him for a full minute while he was talking to people and then only went to the shot for effect when he wasn't.

Totally true, that it could be tv perception but it’s been a frequent occurrence, no? 

I’ve said it before tonight. 

it’d be a weird trend for the networks to all create together. 

We definitely talked about it in the bengals melt.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Gabe was on the field less. They had Sherfield out there on some 2 receiver sets. Snap counts will be interesting.

I’ll admit I didn’t notice that and it’d be interesting if a trend. 

I’ve been out on Davis as a not great route runner who is inconsistent helping his qb… but hoped it was injury related that he wasn’t super sharp or agile last year

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

We definitely talked about it in the bengals melt.

If there have been other instances I might be more concerned, but that day was so weird I just tend to assume nothing concrete can ever be taken from it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.