Chad Kelly (Jim Kelly's nephew) is highest paid player in CFL

Old Coot

21 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm looking forward to the day that he's old enough that we no longer talk about him. He's currently 29. It'll be at least another 6-7 years.

Has he committed some unforgivable sin that makes you prefer to dislike him forever?

Not one for redemption stories?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Has he committed some unforgivable sin that makes you prefer to dislike him forever?

Not one for redemption stories?

There are places I'd rather look for one. If he's stopped being an AH good for him. I doubt that has happened.

I know it's super uplifting when the nephew of a famous person gets a million chances in life, treats people like absolute garbage, and manages to parlay that into a career in the CFL. Surely there's nobody else out there who deserved all of those chances. Chad's just a great guy. I'm glad for him.  They should make a movie about it. What's Netflix up to?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

There are places I'd rather look for one. If he's stopped being an AH good for him. I doubt that has happened.

I know it's super uplifting when the nephew of a famous person gets a million chances in life, treats people like absolute garbage, and manages to parlay that into a career in the CFL. Surely there's nobody else out there who deserved all of those chances. Chad's just a great guy. I'm glad for him.  They should make a movie about it. What's Netflix up to?

I never met the guy and being the nephew of a sports celebrity probably has its downsides... I wonder how he was raised.

He's certainly made some bad decisions but I can't judge him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Sierra Foothills said:

I never met the guy and being the nephew of a sports celebrity probably has its downsides... I wonder how he was raised.

He's certainly made some bad decisions but I can't judge him.

I'm not going to get into it, but suffice to say it's hilarious to me how many people here are totally ok with cutting Chad Kelly slack, for no other reason than because he's Chad Kelly, but also would scream bloody murder if other players not names Chad Kelly got a break after doing something they didn't like. I could drop one name in here and it would prove my point. But whatever. It doesn't matter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm not going to get into it, but suffice to say it's hilarious to me how many people here are totally ok with cutting Chad Kelly slack, for no other reason than because he's Chad Kelly, but also would scream bloody murder if other players not names Chad Kelly got a break after doing something they didn't like. I could drop one name in here and it would prove my point. But whatever. It doesn't matter. 

For me it really has nothing to do with who he's related to, Not that I always succeed but I've been trying to get out of the business of judging others. Besides, what's the worst thing Chad Kelly's ever done?

On a related topic have you see the recent stories about Pacman Jones? Do his recent actions change the way you feel towards him?

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He was rich before and rich after. So probably not humbled. He’s just older and maybe he understands his time was running out.

Money doesn't mean you can't be humbled ...

Flaming out of the NFL , numerous arrests and bad publicity... Can humble you 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm looking forward to the day that he's old enough that we no longer talk about him. He's currently 29. It'll be at least another 6-7 years.

This, a thousand times over.  I’ve never seen a spoiled jackass get so much slack from a region/fan base simply because he’s related to our HOF QB.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'll say it everytime something comes up about Chad Kelly

He has done good work for the ARC of Erie County.  Watching him work with both adults and kids with special needs, you wouldn't think he was the terrible guy some of you say he is.

His chalk talks at Kelly Camp about the mistakes he has made in his life, and how he pretty much was throwing his opportunities away, impacted my son greatly.  He still brings them up.

Has he done idiotic stuff, yes.  Was he privileged, yes.  That said, I truly hope people take a step back and think about their own shortcomings before casting the first stone here.   

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He has done good work for the ARC of Erie County.  Watching him work with both adults and kids with special needs, you wouldn't think he was the terrible guy some of you say he is.

His chalk talks at Kelly Camp about the mistakes he has made in his life, and how he pretty much was throwing his opportunities away, impacted my son greatly.  He still brings them up.

Has he done idiotic stuff, yes.  Was he privileged, yes.  That said, I truly hope people take a step back and think about their own shortcomings before casting the first stone here.   

I second everything said here.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I sure hope so. My son in law attended the camp when he and Chad were both in high school. He didn’t know Chad but he tells me that all the other QBs there felt Chad was a bit of a douche…..and for my son in law to say anything close to that, tells me something. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I sure hope so. My son in law attended the camp when he and Chad were both in high school. He didn’t know Chad but he tells me that all the other QBs there felt Chad was a bit of a douche…..and for my son in law to say anything close to that, tells me something. 

I'm sure he was a jerk.   I was a bit of a jerk in high school myself.  Thank God our standing in life isn't based solely on the things we did when we were in our teens.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Old Coot said:

Pretty crazy that $1.865M for 3 years makes Chad the highest paid player in the N CFL, when that's not even NFL Rookie Minimum

Edit: thanks to those who pointed out my brain fart

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He was rich before and rich after. So probably not humbled. He’s just older and maybe he understands his time was running out.

Maybe stupid question, but is he rich?  Being the nephew of a famous rich uncle doesn't make that automatic.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

We like to see everything as either/or: good/bad hero/zero.  But most situations and people are more nuanced than that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jim has many nephews that play football.  We in WNY have been hearing about Chad since he was a 4X PPK champion and every screw up made public made the local news.  The same with every success.  Imo, we care because he's very talented and is connected to WNY.  If he had grown up in East Brady we would not care all that much.  My 84 year old mother and 88 year old aunt love to watch him play.  They know about his bad press and have empathy for his family.  Fundamentally, one can believe in redemption or not.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

This, a thousand times over.  I’ve never seen a spoiled jackass get so much slack from a region/fan base simply because he’s related to our HOF QB.

Who are you kidding superfan. If he was signed by the Bills, you would be singing his praises from the mountain top.  😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Again, there's no doubt that Chad Kelly grew up in privilege but is that his fault? Certainly he had no control over what family he was born into.

While I believe in personal responsibility... I wonder how Chad Kelly was raised and how many of us, if raised the same way wouldn't also be douche bags. Yes, I'm implicating his parents, uncles, etc.

For instance, his uncle was at a high school football game with him nearly getting into a group brawl.

There's a general tendency among all people:

• to look down on those who have publicly committed bad acts.
  • to believe that they have higher character than those who have publicly committed bad acts.
  • to believe that they would never make those same mistakes if put in the same situation.

The most obvious example of this behavior is the common criticism of pro athletes who blow all their money and end up destitute. From what I've seen I believe most of us would end up doing the same thing if given the "opportunity." JMO.

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Congratulations Chad

I'm sure he has been humbled with what he's been through 

I’d bet he doesn’t even know what “humble” means. 

Just another rich, spoiled, arrogant,  entitled a-hole. 

2 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Jim has many nephews that play football.  We in WNY have been hearing about Chad since he was a 4X PPK champion and every screw up made public made the local news.  The same with every success.  Imo, we care because he's very talented and is connected to WNY.  If he had grown up in East Brady we would not care all that much.  My 84 year old mother and 88 year old aunt love to watch him play.  They know about his bad press and have empathy for his family.  Fundamentally, one can believe in redemption or not.

Btw, CFL games are available in the US on CBSSN or livestreamed on CFL+.  The Argos play at 3:30 today.

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Congratulations Chad

I'm sure he has been humbled with what he's been through 

Did you ever noticed how despite being a local home-grown athlete and an legendary uncle who is synonymous with the franchise, Kelly never got any kind of tryout with the Bills?  

The rumor was that Jim advocated for the t

Bills to stay away from Chad since he’s be surrounded by some many old vices and bad influences.  

Many believe that John Elway taking as the final pick in 2017 was done as a favor for Jim.  

The crazy thing is that even after sabotaging his career multiple times, Chad’s NFL stint was progressing well in Denver until Von’s Halloween party

A few thoughts...

I like Jim and I'm sure Jim was saddened by Chad's many acts of stupidity.  Of course, I hoped Chad would turn his life around for Jim's sake as well as his own.  

Chad grew up privileged.  He'll enjoy more & better opportunities in life than I ever had.  But I'm not jealous or bitter about it.  That's just the way things are: life isn't fair and the U.S. isn't a meritocracy.   None of that is Chad's fault.  

I think it's better to root for people than against them.  I hope all people overcome their shortcomings and find peace, health, happiness, and success.  It seems Chad is moving in the right direction and I'm glad to see it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

A few thoughts...

I like Jim and I'm sure Jim was saddened by Chad's many acts of stupidity.  Of course, I hoped Chad would turn his life around for Jim's sake as well as his own.  

Chad grew up privileged.  He'll enjoy more & better opportunities in life than I ever had.  But I'm not jealous or bitter about it.  That's just the way things are: life isn't fair and the U.S. isn't a meritocracy.   None of that is Chad's fault.  

I think it's better to root for people than against them.  I hope all people overcome their shortcomings and find peace, health, happiness, and success.  It seems Chad is moving in the right direction and I'm glad to see it.  

A lot of kids grow up privileged. Being privileged doesn’t mean you make stupid decisions. Peyton Manning grew up privileged.

Chad was a top recruit, SEC starting QB, and a NFL QB. Not every privileged kid in America achieved that. He’s a talented player.  He made dumb decisions.

People say he’s humbled or whatever, I don’t know. He doesn’t have to be humbled to stop making dumb decisions. Sometimes people change as they get older.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.