Nattering nabobs of negativism

oldmanfan

29 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

not a single QB, maybe player, that has put as much work in during the offseason as Josh has to elevate his game

how do you know this?  

Not saying he didn’t do stuff with mapping his throwing mechanics and working with Palmer like Kyle and Darnold.  

but he’s the hardest working player in the entire NFL off season now?? 😆 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Really?  Because the stuff about Edmunds has gone in all off-season.  Where have you been?

Don’t bother answering the blowhard @BADOLBILZ — he literally sits around figuring out what he can post to piss people off. It’s funniest when you’re in his head, though, and don’t respond. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I believe that for a lot of the consistently negative poster it comes down to a couple things.

1. I think it's fair to say more times then not roster moves tend to gravitate to either not working out well or being a minor improvement NFL wide. That goes for draft picks and FA signings. Statistically if you pan every move you will be right more times and can thus crow about how smart they are. And there is absolutely zero accountability for when they are wrong. Let's say someone like Harty goes off this year and has a monster season. All they have to do is say "Boy, fellas I've never been happier to be wrong." and then go on to the next move to pan.

2. I think a lot of people that are ultra negative also do so to protect their own feelings/emotions/outlooks. Lower expectations so they are mentally prepared for the worst when and if it happens. I see that with a lot of people that appear to lean way too much of their own personal happiness into team success.

On the recent Allen conversation I’d probably be considered to be a hater on this one.

I am a bit of a fixer. It’s just sort of part of who I am. The intent isn’t negative. It’s actually positive (for me). How can I/We be better? Fix the things I’m capable of fixing. 

Just like any personally it has its downside. But it’s also served me well in my professional career as well as my athletic career. (12 National Championships between coaching and competing).

I understand it comes across as negative at times which is why I try and re-explain myself at points in certain threads.

Love the Bills. Love Allen. My default is to identify points of improvement. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

On the recent Allen conversation I’d probably be considered to be a hater on this one.

I am a bit of a fixer. It’s just sort of part of who I am. The intent isn’t negative. It’s actually positive (for me). How can I/We be better? Fix the things I’m capable of fixing. 

Just like any personally it has its downside. But it’s also served me well in my professional career as well as my athletic career. (12 National Championships between coaching and competing).

I understand it comes across as negative at times which is why I try and re-explain myself at points in certain threads.

Love the Bills. Love Allen. My default is to identify points of improvement. 

There's a major difference in my opinion, between being flat out negative and having some constructive ideas. You can looks over some people's posting history and see the ones who just flat out bag every single signing, roster move, play of the players ect. Those are the ones I'm referring to.

Those are the kind of users that we all know full well if the Bills DID win a Super Bowl they would start a thread like "I'm super happy the Bills won....BUT" and then go on to complain about something. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There's a major difference in my opinion, between being flat out negative and having some constructive ideas. You can looks over some people's posting history and see the ones who just flat out bag every single signing, roster move, play of the players ect. Those are the ones I'm referring to.

Those are the kind of users that we all know full well if the Bills DID win a Super Bowl they would start a thread like "I'm super happy the Bills won....BUT" and then go on to complain about something. 

Certainly. I’ve just been involved in the Allen conversation so I found myself relevant to the topic and wanted to explain myself.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t understand why homer-ism permits one to believe Allen has earned comparisons to Brady or Manning.

Long long way to go before that’s a conversation… 

Where have I done that?

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I stopped reading at this point.  ALL sports fanbases are the same.  Stop acting like Bills fans are so awful.  If you want to act like a superfan who can’t bring yourself to read or think any negative thoughts about the Bills, then maybe leave here.   As an alternative, why not ask Scott if you and some of the other superfans can have your own sub-forum where there is nothing but sunshine & lollipops 24x7. 😂

I am not a fan of other teams.  I am sure the same thing happens with other teams.  Why is that important?

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It's not insane to conclude that Josh isn't as dedicated to his fitness when sequences on Kyle Brandt's basement go like this, and I'm paraphrasing here:

Kyle Brandt: What's up man, are you working out?

Josh Allen: Yeah (smiles) ... all the time

Kyle Brandt: Really? 

Josh Allen: All the time

Or later in the interview where he says that he has leaned on natural talent more in his past. 

Or when he talks about how Joe Burrow is "all-ball" when working with Palmer and Josh is cracking jokes. 

Then you see pictures of him and he's carrying a belly. 

Josh Allen HIMSELF came back to Buffalo and said he can do more and lead this team better. 

So it's not anti-Bills, it's not anti-Josh, it's not you really want the Bills to fail. 

It's this team hasn't won a Super Bowl. We're 0-4 in 60+ years of existence. 

And of course, in Buffalo luck, we get good just when the AFC is exploding with QB talent. 

And because the cap is strained, Beane has kept the 2020-2021-2022 team together as much as he possibly could (to his credit), one of the few levers this team has to get better before age catches up with them (Diggs, Von, Milano, Hyde, Poyer, White) is for Allen to take his game to another level. Since he's in Year 6 now and Sal C is running around saying he doesn't need a veteran QB anymore, he is the veteran, then his physical fitness is one avenue to possibly extract more performance. 

Nobody is saying they hate him or the Bills. 

That's classic embellishment. 

Let me ask you this? Do you think Josh being a goofball or not working out to your standards(honestly, he looks pretty fit right now. People are using a photo of him and his ex from last off season to fit their narrative) has hurt The Bills in any way? Can Josh improve in certain areas? Of course. We all can. I am sure you could make a case for Burrow or Mahomes or whomever. Josh is who he is. He has stated he takes it easy in the off season because he takes so many hits in the regular season. He puts the team and City on his back every year and is a huge reason why we go 13-3 and make the playoffs(I truly believe we go to the SB and WIN if the coaches did not botch 13 seconds). I guess what I am really trying to say is, of course Josh could use room for improvement in some areas, but the fans singling HIM out when he is usually the reason we have winning seasons, along with putting his body on the line, and then throwing a fit when being called out for it because "we aren't allowed to criticize Josh". Yes, Josh can be criticized, but how often is he THE REASON we lose or botch games? In most cases, he is the reason we win them, and occasionally if he does make some mistakes, he will make up for them another way. I don't think he should be exempt from criticism, but I also don't think he should be singled out.

Josh is absolutely correct in his approach to watching film, which is much more vital for defenders to watch and learn from, anyway. Watching what the Jets defense does vs. other teams has limited benefit from a schematic view because they simply aren’t gonna scheme for Allen and this offense like they do for anyone else. The value for a QB is in acquainting yourself with opposing personnel more than anything else and pouring over the film from previous matchups with your upcoming opponent.

I guarantee Josh Allen is already acutely familiar with Jets D personnel, their sub packages, and that he has watched last year’s games several times. And I imagine he has a notebook as thick as a phone book of compiled insights he’s gleaned from watching that  film. 

It’s just not about how long you prepare, but how smart you prepare. I trust Josh knows what he’s doing. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, juno999 said:

I do find it interesting the Bills do not have a single 1st round pick on the oline.  They have one at QB, WR (I'm counting Diggs trade), TE, DE, DT, and CB.  They just lost Edmunds to FA.  

Hopefully Brown can solidify the RT spot.  Counting on a guy who had back surgery is an iffy proposition though.  Personally, I'm glad they signed Ifedi.  Not expecting great things but if Brown is struggling they do have an option now.  In a weird way, I think the Bills improved their backup RT with Shell retiring.

The game of football has changed a lot since the Bills were making Super Bowl appearances.  The biggest difference in those teams and the current Bills version is the oline imo.  There are other differences of course.

If they can improve their overall oline play, protect Allen better and run it more effectively, they could be even more explosive and dominant.  Having a stronger oline could hide some defensive weaknesses or at least negate them to a degree.

Great point, especially in regards to Josh and his “ Film study” or lack thereof. It’s hard to looked polished when you are running for your life and trying to make plays literally on the run.

It’s the internet.  There will be LOTS of everything.  From the most optimistic fans to the egregious negativity.  

Regarding the Josh Allen offseason- each side is a little right and a little wrong.  IF Josh treated his body like a temple and dedicated MORE of his time to becoming a better QB, I feel he WOULD be a better QB…. As long as he can stay on top of his mental health.  Some can do that.  Some cannot.  He might not be able to do that. He has an incredible life to live and deserves to live it how he likes.  An athletes dedication to their sport varies per athlete.  Some can succeed and win championships while doing just enough.  Some feel the need to obsess and live their lives outside of football in a way that will give them their absolute best chance to be the best.  Tom Brady did that.  He was a workout machine and treated his body like a temple.  I don’t believe Josh will ever dedicate his life outside of football to the sport the way Brady did.  And that’s ok.  He works extremely hard.  Hopefully that’s enough. 

but if he doesn’t win a SB, he might look back and think “what if”.  

35 minutes ago, eball said:

Don’t bother answering the blowhard @BADOLBILZ — he literally sits around figuring out what he can post to piss people off. It’s funniest when you’re in his head, though, and don’t respond. 

I think you don't understand the difference between being laughed AT and laughed WITH.

My responses and call outs to you are strictly intended to be rhetorical.:lol:

Because you've shown no ability to adapt........you follow the same mixology for being wrong.    

Blind homerism + a stubborn and willful ignorance of the game + day drinking =  an @eball highball.

Though in reality you have betrayed your fandom for real...........the proof being quitting your season tickets out of frustration with the organization when Sean McDermott was hired.    

It's true that there are a lot of us who offer constructive criticism of the team into the discussion............what you did there is "destructive" criticism of the team by removing that unconditional financial support out of spite..........but I thank you for the content it provides when calling out your hypocrisy.:beer:

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Do you have any concept of sarcasm?  Kidding in an interview?  Just look at the guy.  

And if you look at guys like Brady or Manning, was it them being workout warriors that made them great?

You are looking for reasons to be negative and critical.  And I don’t understand why.

^^^^^

31 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Where have I done that?

😉

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I guarantee Josh Allen is already acutely familiar with Jets D personnel, their sub packages, and that he has watched last year’s games several times. And I imagine he has a notebook as thick as a phone book of compiled insights he’s gleaned from watching that  film. 

It’s just not about how long you prepare, but how smart you prepare. I trust Josh knows what he’s doing. 

Where did relationship in Green Bay breakdown between Rodgers and coaching staff?  It happened when they got rid of Alex Van Pelt (the QB who beat Dan Marino's record at Pittsburg) without talking to him because they wanted a QB coach who could develop an upcoming QB and they felt Rodgers did not need QB coach.  Alex Van Pelt has been known as one of the sharpest offense preparers and he broke down the defense for Rodgers so Rodgers had more time to concentrate what was important to him.  Joe Brady is a sharp man who graduated from William & Mary and is hopefully doing same role for Josh.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

how do you know this?  

Not saying he didn’t do stuff with mapping his throwing mechanics and working with Palmer like Kyle and Darnold.  

This place is nothing but a happy shinny people music video Bills addition. You can’t even be critical without calls for banning or being placed on ignore. From what I’ve seen, I’m not sold on Allen being the hardest worker in the QB world. Relying on talent only gets you so far, and it’s partially why we haven’t won a super bowl. To be the best, you have to want it more than anyone else. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I struggle to understand this fan base sometimes.  Many seem to actively search for ways to downplay the team’s fortunes and/or denigrate specific players, management and such.  Examples include:

1.  Ragging on for years on Edmunds, then as soon as he leaves in free agency ragging on Beane for not resigning or replacing him.

2.  Ragging on Beane for not having a veteran guy behind Brown at RT,  then ragging on him because the guy he got retired (as if Beane should be Nostradamus) then ragging on getting Ifedi as if we were going to get an All Pro.

There are many such examples.  But the last 24 hours or so have taken the cake, because who are we negative on now?  Josh Allen.  And why?  Mainly because of two articles from the gasbag known as Jason Whitlock, the first of which he said was a lie, then the second of which he claims Josh doesn’t work hard enough and it’s supposedly well known.  Throw in an interview with MacAfee where Josh specifically states he watches a lot of film but qualifies what he takes from it, and all of a sudden it’s Josh that is why the Bills haven’t won a Lombardi.  It’s Josh who drinks too much (one incident with Kyle Allen), Josh who doesn’t work out, Josh who doesn’t spend enough time on football in the off-season (put your TV on and measure in minutes how long till you see Mahomes in a commercial).  Or Josh impregnating waitresses, which no reputable news source has validated.

All this leads me to ask:  what the hell is wrong with some people around here?  I am not saying Josh can’t improve.  He needs to continue learning to take the short routes, get the ball out quicker, etc.  but to claim he is now somehow the problem, that it’s his work ethic, that as one person said here that they don’t like Josh personally  as if he actually has ever met the guy?  Come on.

I have thought for quite a long time there are folks on this board that really want the Bills to lose so they can somehow crow on a message board that they were right.  I think some of the stuff we’re seeing is some bizarre defense mechanism people throw up as a guard should the Bills not win it all.  

Me?  I’ve been a fan since 1960 when I was 5 years old.  I will do as I’ve always done, enter the season with optimism and then see how things go.  Offer praise when merited as well as criticism when merited.  But to actively seek out reasons for negativism, even to the point of believing nonsensical crap to do so?  I don’t get it.

Myself I root for the Buffalo Bills my hometown team.  If they ever do win the Lombardi it will not make be root for them more as I only get the satisfaction of seeing the players achieve their goal.  I'll  have enjoyed all the plays up to whatever point they  att a in in post season.  I want them to succeed and I like when media says they can't yet they do....

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

In truth, where the Bills have been picking, the value hasn't been there late in the first round for O line help.  First round talent on the o line is usually gone in the first 10 to 12 picks.

Value may not have necessarily been there.  I didn't look back at who was available at the time when the Bills were on the clock.  They appear to finally have some quality guards with Torrence and McGovern starting.

2 minutes ago, juno999 said:

Value may not have necessarily been there.  I didn't look back at who was available at the time when the Bills were on the clock.  They appear to finally have some quality guards with Torrence and McGovern starting.

And that's the whole point when it comes to drafting for the oline.  Top Tackles are drafted very high in the first round.  IOL are devalued and usually start coming off the board in the second round.   I was thrilled that Torrence lasted as long as he did as he was ranked as a late first round talent.  Beane always drafts for value, although we question why certain players are valued as high as they are by the Bills...particularly in the 3rd round.  I'm neither a scout nor a GM, so who am I to question?

8 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

This place is nothing but a happy shinny people music video Bills addition. You can’t even be critical without calls for banning or being placed on ignore. From what I’ve seen, I’m not sold on Allen being the hardest worker in the QB world. Relying on talent only gets you so far, and it’s partially why we haven’t won a super bowl. To be the best, you have to want it more than anyone else. 

very reasonable take. Allen is amazing, but he’s not carving up defenses with his presnap reads, he’s reacting on impulse and athleticism making jaw dropping velocity throws and agile escapes. 

If he had the pre play recognition a little tighter, it might have made the few more difference making plays to get to the top. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

This is absolute utter horse crap.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I struggle to understand this fan base sometimes.  

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I am not a fan of other teams.  I am sure the same thing happens with other teams.  Why is that important?

It's important because you struggle to understand things?

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Someone should start a thread to complain about the "blither idiots of fan negativism" who start threads like this one.

I enjoyed the contrived argument that the same people who complained about Edmunds are also the one's blaming Beane for not re-signing him............that was a really out-of-the-box take. :lol:

I KNEW that the OP wouldn't sit well with you. 😁😁😁

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I KNEW that the OP wouldn't sit well with you. 😁😁😁

I think the fan haters like @oldmanfanare just showing their anxiety about the upcoming season with these contrived takes..............there is by no means an abundance of negativity from the fans about the team.

They are getting less love from the national media and when that gets discussed and when there isn't universal outrage about that on TSW the doddering douchebags for whom national public opinion matters interpret that as "negativism". 

The reality is that the Bills are the second favorite in the AFC by the largely objective betting public.  And favored to win on the road against the hyped Jets.   

Plenty of positivity about the team going into the season..........at least as much as the Chiefs or Eagles had going into last season.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I think the fan haters like @oldmanfanare just showing their anxiety about the upcoming season with these contrived takes..............there is by no means an abundance of negativity from the fans about the team.

They are getting less love from the national media and when that gets discussed and when there isn't universal outrage about that on TSW the doddering douchebags for whom national public opinion matters interpret that as "negativism". 

The reality is that the Bills are the second favorite in the AFC by the largely objective betting public.  And favored to win on the road against the hyped Jets.   

Plenty of positivity about the team going into the season..........at least as much as the Chiefs or Eagles had going into last season.

No.  When people choose to believe rumor mongers like Whitlock and criticize Allen because of it, that is absurd.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

what gives you the right to judge how people want to be fans?

Some folks are inherently negative and clearly it harms you, some folks consider perpetual optimism in the face of insufficient results equally annoying. Some are critical.  Some times those critiques are antithetical. 

it’s all part of being a fan base. Take it or leave it, you aren’t changing it. Nor should it change. 

Great post!

On any fan message board there will certainly be fans that dwell mostly on the negative. And as you say, the other extreme is equally (if not slightly more) annoying. The problem with both of these extremes imo it it often renders posters like this incapable of an original thought.  There are still posters who think that the Jason Peters trade was good. A few might even think that Donte Whitner was a good draft pick. 

It's all good. In the end we are all Bills fans and we deal with the pleasure and the pain in our own ways.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I have been critical of dumb moves over the years but that does NOT make me less of a fan. I bet the Bills to win the Super Bowl this season and I think it is quite possible with a break or two! :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

how do you know this?  

I stand by what I said.  Find me another QB who spent as much time fixing his deficiencies from the second he stepped off the college football field for the last time. Just find me one that has put more time and work into elevating his craft outside the season.  Josh's offseason commitment has been well documented, and all of a sudden he takes one to recharge his body and mind this year, something all the top QB's do most seasons, and all of a sudden its like Josh's work he has put in has been completely forgotten.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I stand by what I said.  Find me another QB who spent as much time fixing his deficiencies from the second he stepped off the college football field for the last time. Just find me one that has put more time and work into elevating his craft outside the season.  Josh's offseason commitment has been well documented, and all of a sudden he takes one to recharge his body and mind this year, something all the top QB's do most seasons, and all of a sudden its like Josh's work he has put in has been completely forgotten.  

You're not grasping the cerebral core of the opposing argument. We haven't won a Super bowl. It must mean Josh is coasting.

He's got a Hollywood girlfriend, after all, and he plays golf.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

well we know who’s actually hitting the gym at 5:30 am in the summer in between Lombardis. 

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a31251134/patrick-mahomes-workout/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.