Nattering nabobs of negativism

oldmanfan

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I am not a fan of other teams.  I am sure the same thing happens with other teams.  Why is that important?

Because you are whining about something that happens everywhere in terms of sports fanbases.  It is a given, so why complain about it.  

Maybe you and @eball can get together and form a superfan group. 😂

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No.  When people choose to believe rumor mongers like Whitlock and criticize Allen because of it, that is absurd.

Who started the 5 different Jason Whitlock threads?    The answer is 5 different triggered homers.   Just like YOU started this thread.   Just like @eball started a thread about Gabe Davis a couple of days ago to create a straw man argument about Davis not being captain material.     The doddering douchebags of unobjectivity will go out of their way to create entire threads about negativity to complain about. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Who started the 5 different Jason Whitlock threads?    The answer is 5 different triggered homers.   Just like YOU started this thread.   Just like @eball started a thread about Gabe Davis a couple of days ago to create a straw man argument about Davis not being captain material.     The doddering douchebags of unobjectivity will go out of their way to create entire threads about negativity to complain about. :rolleyes:

I see how you can think that. However, I started the Whitlock thread about how Diggs wants out of Buffalo because there weren't any good strip clubs, and how he doesn't care about winning. I started that to showcase how utterly absurd that take was. But alas, more than a few posters came in and actually believed Whitlock, and agreed with him. Simon rightfully deleted that thread. Yet, the Whitlock threads continue. And with that, people continue to believe what is said, agree with it, and raming their stupid opinions down our throats. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I struggle to understand this fan base sometimes.  Many seem to actively search for ways to downplay the team’s fortunes and/or denigrate specific players, management and such.  Examples include:

1.  Ragging on for years on Edmunds, then as soon as he leaves in free agency ragging on Beane for not resigning or replacing him.

2.  Ragging on Beane for not having a veteran guy behind Brown at RT,  then ragging on him because the guy he got retired (as if Beane should be Nostradamus) then ragging on getting Ifedi as if we were going to get an All Pro.

There are many such examples.  But the last 24 hours or so have taken the cake, because who are we negative on now?  Josh Allen.  And why?  Mainly because of two articles from the gasbag known as Jason Whitlock, the first of which he said was a lie, then the second of which he claims Josh doesn’t work hard enough and it’s supposedly well known.  Throw in an interview with MacAfee where Josh specifically states he watches a lot of film but qualifies what he takes from it, and all of a sudden it’s Josh that is why the Bills haven’t won a Lombardi.  It’s Josh who drinks too much (one incident with Kyle Allen), Josh who doesn’t work out, Josh who doesn’t spend enough time on football in the off-season (put your TV on and measure in minutes how long till you see Mahomes in a commercial).  Or Josh impregnating waitresses, which no reputable news source has validated.

All this leads me to ask:  what the hell is wrong with some people around here?  I am not saying Josh can’t improve.  He needs to continue learning to take the short routes, get the ball out quicker, etc.  but to claim he is now somehow the problem, that it’s his work ethic, that as one person said here that they don’t like Josh personally  as if he actually has ever met the guy?  Come on.

I have thought for quite a long time there are folks on this board that really want the Bills to lose so they can somehow crow on a message board that they were right.  I think some of the stuff we’re seeing is some bizarre defense mechanism people throw up as a guard should the Bills not win it all.  

Me?  I’ve been a fan since 1960 when I was 5 years old.  I will do as I’ve always done, enter the season with optimism and then see how things go.  Offer praise when merited as well as criticism when merited.  But to actively seek out reasons for negativism, even to the point of believing nonsensical crap to do so?  I don’t get it.

You do realize we have Dolphin,Jet and Patriot trolls here. More than you might believe. One guy thinks Niagara Falls is near Syracuse and another bought his new Bills hat from  Bells Supermarket

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Because you are whining about something that happens everywhere in terms of sports fanbases.  It is a given, so why complain about it.  

Maybe you and @eball can get together and form a superfan group. 😂

I am saying I do not understand it.  I do not understand why people will buy into any idiot Internet comment to be negative about a team that has been in the playiffs for several years.  I don’t understand why people believe their star QB doesn’t work hard enough based on a columnist who the same day said everything he said about Diggs was just made up.  Explain to me the rationale behind such thought.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am saying I do not understand it.  I do not understand why people will buy into any idiot Internet comment to be negative about a team that has been in the playiffs for several years.  I don’t understand why people believe their star QB doesn’t work hard enough based on a columnist who the same day said everything he said about Diggs was just made up.  Explain to me the rationale behind such thought.

I can’t explain why anyone posts the things they do.  Some I agree with, some I don’t, but the ones I disagree with I usually read and move on. No need for me to start new threads complaining about them. 

45 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

well we know who’s actually hitting the gym at 5:30 am in the summer in between Lombardis. 

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a31251134/patrick-mahomes-workout/

You mean the same Patrick Mahomes that golfed a ton this offseason, took his family on multiple vacations, went to Coachella, drank, etc?  You know all the type of things Allen is getting flack for and more?  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

You mean the same Patrick Mahomes that golfed a ton this offseason, took his family on multiple vacations, went to Coachella, drank, etc?  You know all the type of things Allen is getting flack for and more?  

No- I was talking about the guy in the men’s health article that grinds in the gym during the offseason with a trainer after winning superbowls. Seems like maybe the myopic view that Josh outworks every player in the nfl is a tad homercentric …

the hero worship is pure and innocent though, so carry on. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Agree.

But instantly realized you WERE old (like me 😁) with this quote  ...

"Nattering nabobs of negativism"

A phrase used by Vice President Spiro Agnew to refer to the members of the media with whom he had a very acrimonious relationship.

I thought I was the only one who recognized that quote. 

Most of the people on this board weren't born when Spiro Agnew was around, and in a lot of cases neither were their parents.

Props to the OP for dredging up that quote!

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

playiffs.  I like that. Going to use it. 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Where did relationship in Green Bay breakdown between Rodgers and coaching staff?  It happened when they got rid of Alex Van Pelt (the QB who beat Dan Marino's record at Pittsburg) without talking to him because they wanted a QB coach who could develop an upcoming QB and they felt Rodgers did not need QB coach.  Alex Van Pelt has been known as one of the sharpest offense preparers and he broke down the defense for Rodgers so Rodgers had more time to concentrate what was important to him.  Joe Brady is a sharp man who graduated from William & Mary and is hopefully doing same role for Josh.

Agree on Van Pelt who has a sharp football mind. Also agree about Joe Brady. And I wouldn’t discount the work Dorsey has done with Allen since he got here in 2019 as his QB coach. 

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No- I was talking about the guy in the men’s health article that grinds in the gym during the offseason with a trainer after winning superbowls. Seems like maybe the myopic view that Josh outworks every player in the nfl is a tad homercentric …

the hero worship is pure and innocent though, so carry on. 

So a gym workout now equates to more work all off season when Mahomes took a ton of time off for golf, travel, leisure and partying.  I mean I was standing next to him and Kelce in VIP at Coachella while they got hammered.  But nice try

Edited by Alphadawg7

I struggle to understand this fan base sometimes.  Many seem to actively search for ways to downplay the team’s fortunes and/or denigrate specific players, management and such.  Examples include:

1.  Ragging on for years on Edmunds, then as soon as he leaves in free agency ragging on Beane for not resigning or replacing him.

2.  Ragging on Beane for not having a veteran guy behind Brown at RT,  then ragging on him because the guy he got retired (as if Beane should be Nostradamus) then ragging on getting Ifedi as if we were going to get an All Pro.

There are many such examples.  But the last 24 hours or so have taken the cake, because who are we negative on now?  Josh Allen.  And why?  Mainly because of two articles from the gasbag known as Jason Whitlock, the first of which he said was a lie, then the second of which he claims Josh doesn’t work hard enough and it’s supposedly well known.  Throw in an interview with MacAfee where Josh specifically states he watches a lot of film but qualifies what he takes from it, and all of a sudden it’s Josh that is why the Bills haven’t won a Lombardi.  It’s Josh who drinks too much (one incident with Kyle Allen), Josh who doesn’t work out, Josh who doesn’t spend enough time on football in the off-season (put your TV on and measure in minutes how long till you see Mahomes in a commercial).  Or Josh impregnating waitresses, which no reputable news source has validated.

All this leads me to ask:  what the hell is wrong with some people around here?  I am not saying Josh can’t improve.  He needs to continue learning to take the short routes, get the ball out quicker, etc.  but to claim he is now somehow the problem, that it’s his work ethic, that as one person said here that they don’t like Josh personally  as if he actually has ever met the guy?  Come on.

I have thought for quite a long time there are folks on this board that really want the Bills to lose so they can somehow crow on a message board that they were right.  I think some of the stuff we’re seeing is some bizarre defense mechanism people throw up as a guard should the Bills not win it all.  

Me?  I’ve been a fan since 1960 when I was 5 years old.  I will do as I’ve always done, enter the season with optimism and then see how things go.  Offer praise when merited as well as criticism when merited.  But to actively seek out reasons for negativism, even to the point of believing nonsensical crap to do so?  I don’t get it.

Pay your taxes, Spiro!

Thanks for writing this OldManFan.

I've been thinking about writing a similar post myself for a while now.

I've been a member of this board since day one, and cannot recall ever seeing this amount of negativity before, even through all of the drought years.

I've lived overseas now for over 18 years, so don't know if this negative attitude is prevalent throughout the entire country or if it's just a local thing, but it's very sad.

Looking back at my life, I can honestly say that the number one thing I've learned is the importance of having a positive attitude, coupled with gratitude. Without it, what's the point of living?  You need to look forward to things, and then give thanks for those things once they've manifested into reality.

The same holds true for being a Bills fan. Why spend your life being miserable?  There'sa difference betweenbeing critical and being negative. (I'd be interested to know how many of these "negative Nancy's" never stuck their necks out to achieve their dreams, instead choosing to continue to live the same daily drudgery of life, over and over again.)

Wake up, smell the roses and enjoy life, including this young exciting team that we call our own.  

I'm sure many of you will roll your eyes at this post, and even write a snarky reply, but I couldn't care less.  I may not be a rich man, but I've lived a far better life than I ever dreamed of, mostly because of positivity and gratitude.  

I have high hopes for this season. However,  if they crash and burn, I'll put it aside and then look forward to next year.

Anyway... I wish you all nothing but the very best.

Let's go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I’m livin’ rent free in that inflated head of yours! 😂

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you don't understand the difference between being laughed AT and laughed WITH.

My responses and call outs to you are strictly intended to be rhetorical.:lol:

Because you've shown no ability to adapt........you follow the same mixology for being wrong.    

Blind homerism + a stubborn and willful ignorance of the game + day drinking =  an @eball highball.

Though in reality you have betrayed your fandom for real...........the proof being quitting your season tickets out of frustration with the organization when Sean McDermott was hired.    

It's true that there are a lot of us who offer constructive criticism of the team into the discussion............what you did there is "destructive" criticism of the team by removing that unconditional financial support out of spite..........but I thank you for the content it provides when calling out your hypocrisy.:beer:

Please don’t start charging me rent for the space I’m occupying inside that cavernous skull… 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Thanks for writing this OldManFan.

I've been thinking about writing a similar post myself for a while now.

I've been a member of this board since day one, and cannot recall ever seeing this amount of negativity before, even through all of the drought years.

I've lived overseas now for over 18 years, so don't know if this negative attitude is prevalent throughout the entire country or if it's just a local thing, but it's very sad.

Looking back at my life, I can honestly say that the number one thing I've learned is the importance of having a positive attitude, coupled with gratitude. Without it, what's the point of living?  You need to look forward to things, and then give thanks for those things once they've manifested into reality.

The same holds true for being a Bills fan. Why spend your life being miserable?  There'sa difference betweenbeing critical and being negative. (I'd be interested to know how many of these "negative Nancy's" never stuck their necks out to achieve their dreams, instead choosing to continue to live the same daily drudgery of life, over and over again.)

Wake up, smell the roses and enjoy life, including this young exciting team that we call our own.  

I'm sure many of you will roll your eyes at this post, and even write a snarky reply, but I couldn't care less.  I may not be a rich man, but I've lived a far better life than I ever dreamed of, mostly because of positivity and gratitude.  

I have high hopes for this season. However,  if they crash and burn, I'll put it aside and then look forward to next year.

Anyway... I wish you all nothing but the very best.

Let's go Buffalo!

Says the fella named Bad Things . . . 

I agree, though. I would rephrase slightly. Optimism can be blind and irrational. Hope, however, is necessary for any happiness, even the capacity to act rationally. A certain daring combined with gratitude is a rare, but winning combination.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So a gym workout now equates to more work all off season when Mahomes took a ton of time off for golf, travel, leisure and partying.  I mean I was standing next to him and Kelce in VIP at Coachella while they got hammered.  

Sorry, your article where he got a workout in doesn't mean he did that daily all offseason which its WELL DOCUMENTED he didn't.  Even though you want to imply he did and Allen doesn't work in the offseason even though he spent every offseason of his career working on things to get better and pretty much since he last stepped off a college football field.  

Wait so you seeing mahommes at Coachella confirms Allen works harder than any other nfl player in the off season?? 

you’re bonkers man. You have no idea what these guys do all off season. Allen got his mechanics mapped and decided to change them and works out with some other scrub QBs for a few weeks in the summer on the beach in Cali. How that makes him the hardest working player in the off season is just homerist mythology 

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

...I am not saying Josh can’t improve.  He needs to continue learning to take the short routes, get the ball out quicker, etc....

Me?  I’ve been a fan since 1960 when I was 5 years old....

Regarding Josh.. he improved tremendously under the tutelage of Jordan Palmer. I'm not aware that he does the Palmer training anymore in the off-season. Bummer. I think it would help him even further.

Also, congrats on your advanced age. We lost Jimmy Buffet today at the early age of 76. Is your estate planned? I'm doing mine now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.