Bill Parcells has given away millions to former players

Albany,n.y.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/01/bill-parcells-has-lent-millions-to-ex-giants-players-in-financial-crisis/

“It’s just incredibly generous what he’s done with these guys. Bill has loaned out $4 million to 20 players that played for him, who come to him in this financial crisis. Bill knows when they come to him it’s a last resort,” Myers said. 

“I said to him, ‘Bill, you know, $4 million, you don’t expect anybody to pay you back. Why are you doing that?’ 

“And he said, ‘These guys have sacrificed so much for me with their bodies and their commitment.’ ” 

Parcells gave the loans — most of which were to members of the 1986 Giants, though a few were to other Giants and players on other teams he coached — without any expectation to be paid back. 

“He’s put away money he needs for the rest of his life, he’s given money to his kids, and what he has left he’s designated to help those close to him who need it. I think it’s unprecedented,” Myers said. 

“I don’t think I know of any other coach who sits down and writes checks to his former players who are really in financial need. It’s really a cool story.” 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  That's amazing. 

Parcells and Belichick always had this kind of love-hate relationship, because they were fundamentally different guys.  I wonder if Belichick helps out his former players.  He doesn't seem like that kind of guy. 

To be fair Belichick is donating 10% to Robert Kraft’s legal fund. 

• Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  That's amazing. 

Parcells and Belichick always had this kind of love-hate relationship, because they were fundamentally different guys.  I wonder if Belichick helps out his former players.  He doesn't seem like that kind of guy. 

as an active coach it could be a little different handing former players large sums of cash 

• Thank you (+1) 1

“It’s just incredibly generous what he’s done with these guys. Bill has loaned out $4 million to 20 players that played for him, who come to him in this financial crisis. Bill knows when they come to him it’s a last resort,” Myers said.

“I said to him, ‘Bill, you know, $4 million, you don’t expect anybody to pay you back. Why are you doing that?’ 

“And he said, ‘These guys have sacrificed so much for me with their bodies and their commitment.’ ” 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He always seemed like kind of a dick. But everything I've heard about him as a person he seems like a truly great guy. 

It's the way he talks. I always thought that, too - but he talks like a New Yorker (not sure where he's from originally). 

I've heard other stories about him like this  - seems like a genuinely good guy.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s an absolute shame that so many people who earned some healthy paychecks could be in such need, but I don’t think that shocks any of us. Good for Bill for being there when they needed it. 

Each player should set up a trust they deposit say 20% of their money the trust should be setup to provide food housing to playerthey can easily buy a house outright in trusts name and they always have home.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Each player should set up a trust they deposit say 20% of their money the trust should be setup to provide food housing to playerthey can easily buy a house outright in trusts name and they always have home.

Yes, if only it were that easy. They start as a bunch of kids barely in their 20’s, most of their families never had money, and now they are swimming in cash. You can’t MAKE them do anything with it. They earned it. If only they could trade some of that cash for a bit of wisdom, and I don’t mean Uncle Bob who’s good with numbers. 

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Wow.  That's amazing. 

“ (Grunt) Who are you again?  Hrrrmph, never heard of ya.   Bye.”

12 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s an absolute shame that so many people who earned some healthy paychecks could be in such need, but I don’t think that shocks any of us. Good for Bill for being there when they needed it. 

Average salary in 1986 was under 200k, short career, probably some pretty substantial medical bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I wonder what he'd do if Scott Norwood asked him for a few dollars? 

Seriously, that's a great story. You can see why players loved him. Tough as nails but a man you have to respect

It would be the RIGHT thing to do!!! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.