I'm optimistic heading into this season

Pine Barrens Mafia

Why? Well, primarily because being a pessimist is stupid and counterproductive.

But, here are some enumerated reasons for optimism:

1) Year two of Dorsey in his job. Experience is valuable, and now he's going to have some more tools in the box. I'm really bullish on the tight ends especially.

2) we have Josh Allen. So long as that alien clone supersoldier is our QB, we have a chance to win.

3) Another year for Groot. Last year, the Frenchman had a sneaky 8 sack season, I see no plausible reason he can't build off it. I see at least 10 for Greg.

4) no Leslie Frazier. Thank heaven.

5) The pressure of expectation is shifted to lesser teams in the Jests and Miami. This team does better in that environment.

I could go on, but go bills 

• Like (+1) 15
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 12
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 10
  • Dislike 1

Me too!

We lost 3 games last year, and each one could have been won on a play.  We had terrible injury issues, blizzards, the Hamlin situation - it was crazy.

This year, I think the O-line will be significantly improved, and we are going to have a REAL running game. Nothing against Singletary, but I see Cook taking a big step, and Harris is pretty underestimated. When healthy, he's a great back.

Can't wait.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Couldn't agree more brother! 

Love the added depth as well. We're better than the 14-4 team we were last year by far. Sky is the limit 

I'm more confident this year than last.  I hated all the SB talk. 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 3

Great post

It’s kind of sad that there are some bills fans that aren’t optimistic about this season and the rest of this Josh Allen era.  Don’t let the pressure of winning super bowls get to you.  Enjoy the ride.  Embrace how lucky we are to have 17.  It won’t last forever so I’ll be sure to take in and cherish every second of it.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Great post

It’s kind of sad that there are some bills fans that aren’t optimistic about this season and the rest of this Josh Allen era.  Don’t let the pressure of winning super bowls get to you.  Enjoy the ride.  Embrace how lucky we are to have 17.  It won’t last forever so I’ll be sure to take in and cherish every second of it.

I know, right. I'll deal with any disappointment if and when it happens. Until then I'm assuming every game is a win 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Great post

I get what you’re saying, but for about the last half of last season, JA17 wasn’t exactly performing at superstar level. Yeah, I know he had an elbow injury….but he definitely needs to be at the top of the QB rankings this year.

6 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I get what you’re saying, but for about the last half of last season, JA17 wasn’t exactly performing at superstar level. Yeah, I know he had an elbow injury….but he definitely needs to be at the top of the QB rankings this year.

Oh well.  He didn’t have the same IOL.  He didn’t have Dalton Kincaid.  He had a rookie OC.  He had no slot WR.  Fret if you like. I’m chillin

• Like (+1) 6

5 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

1) Year two of Dorsey in his job. Experience is valuable, and now he's going to have some more tools in the box. I'm really bullish on the tight ends especially.

2) we have Josh Allen. So long as that alien clone supersoldier is our QB, we have a chance to win.

3) Another year for Groot. Last year, the Frenchman had a sneaky 8 sack season, I see no plausible reason he can't build off it. I see at least 10 for Greg.

5) The pressure of expectation is shifted to lesser teams in the Jests and Miami. This team does better in that environment.

Agree with all but 3.  Groot really only popped when playing with Miller.  First few games will be great to gauge his ability to be “the guy”.  He has the talent to do it, I don’t think it’s a given though. I guess this makes me optimistic on him but not relying on him for overall team optimism. 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Oh well.  He didn’t have the same IOL.  He didn’t have Dalton Kincaid.  He had a rookie OC.  He had no slot WR.  Fret if you like. I’m chillin

also, no semblance of a running game. And a hurt elbow.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Bills - Homer Simpson.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

I would add a few more reasons:

6) Tua learned how to fall meaning no more Dolphin free Tua… or something (tiring excuse) 

7) hopefully don’t watch the MLB get free 5-8 yard piggy back rides. 
8- OC has tablets wrapped in bubble wrap protectors and a yo-yo string. 

9) RG turnstile has been replaced by an immovable force (hopefully).

10) It’s a new year and a blank slate, I’m sure new complaints, worries and grievances will be filed by Sept. 12th. 
Enjoyed the ride!

• Like (+1) 2

I’m optimistic about the offiense because we are going to be running to tighten sets those tend to be good running sets because you have an extra tight end on the field and I know that our youngster doesn’t have his blocking down yet but just putting his big ass frame on somebody down field is going to help Dawson is all set with his blocking This means we are going to have a running game this season even if there are games where Cook is getting caught up in the line we have two ball busting, running back sitting behind him.

On defense, let’s keep in mind that this defense was a past rushing force before Von Miller went down. Well now they have brought in another veteran pass rusher to help Rousseau and some good youth pass rushers behind them. We are going to have a pass rush. Meanwhile, we brought in Poona Ford who is built like a fire hydrant to stop the run.

Josh will be Josh and he’s going to do Josh Allen things so we’re gonna be in every game or dominating every game. We just need other people to step up with him. I am confident.

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

If he's healthy, why wouldn't Allen be at/near the top of the QB rankings when the FO has given him more and better weapons and added better players to the OL?   

Edited by SoTier

15 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I am with you. I say 13-4, another AFCE Title, and maybe HFA throughout the playoffs.

I’m optimistic, but back to wait and see mode.  

It really comes down to the lines.  The over-investment (without returns) on the DL and the lack of investment (with ramifications) on the OL.  

The Jets game will really test both of my concerns. 

-Can our OL protect Allen against an elite DL?

-Can our DL, without Von, take advantage of a weak OL against a QB like Rodgers?

On paper, however.. whether by development, return from injury and/or additions, we should be improved at OL, DL, CB, S, RB, WR & TE.  

Then factor in a healthy Josh Allen and Year Two of Dorsey & Kromer. 

Lots to be excited about. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm optimisitc because for all the whining about the Bills "tough schedule" in 2023, all of the AFCE teams face similarly tough schedules.  All the teams face 6 games against their AFCE rivals, 4 games against the AFCW, and 4 games against the NFCE teams.   That means each team has 3 games different from the teams its rivals play.

The Bills play the Jags, Bucs, and at Bengals.

The Dolphins play the Panthers, Titans, and at Ravens.

The Jets play the Falcons, Texans, and at Browns.

The Patriots play the Saints, Colts, and at Steelers.

All the AFCN teams are going to be really tough outs, so none of the AFCE teams are finding easy pickings here, especially since all the AFCN teams will be at home.   The Bills may have a tougher schedule, but it's surely not significantly harder than the schedules of their AFCE rivals like so many doomsters worry about.

With an improved O-line, WRs 3 & 4 who can actually catch the ball, which takes pressure off WRs 1 & 2,  plus DK x 2 and an all around better RB room, add in a short pass game on top of an established medium to long pass offense, all of this and Josh Allen, I mean really, whats not to like? 

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

Somebody help me out.

My wife and I are currently away on holiday, and I thought that I'd check in this morning to see if there was any Bills news.

I log in, and I immediately feel like I've entered some bizzaro world, where people on this board are actually writing positive things about the team, instead of the incessant whining that's been predominant for the last few years.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a very positive person, and love seeing positive things written... I just can't get my head around it.  Why all of a sudden are fans so much more positive?

Did they put something in the water?  Are they dousing the air like Chemtrails with "happy drugs"?

Or are the more positive fans (like me) finally speaking their minds over the negative Nancy's?

Whatever the reason, I love it!

Keep it up and ENJOY the ride!

Let's go Buffalo!!!

• Like (+1) 1

It's time for the season.  The time for criticizing is the offseason.  

This notion that people critical of aspects of the team or its play aren't fans is inane.   The irony will be in so many of the "optimists" that want to set fire to the stadium, dismantle the team, and burn Pegula in effigy during the game-day threads.  ... true story.  

Edited by PBF81

Expect a much better offense, a notably worse defense, and how good this team actually is on Dorsey/Allen and whether or not they can figure out how to work in those short high-percentage plays to keep the clock and chains moving, and the D off the field as much as possible.  

My personal anticipation is for a franchise record pass attempts, completions, passing yards, total yards, and passing TDs.  

Also expecting pushing the top-5 for all-time points scored in NFL history.  I envison the team beating its existing franchise 31.3 PPG mark by several PPG.  

Defense, average at best.  

Not sure about our record.  I can see McD being outcoached at times, whether our offense overcomes that, who knows.  He'll have his hands full, and those that he's assigned under him aren't exactly rich in achievements.  "Comfort," "familiarity," etc., great, but short on overall achievements nonetheless.  

Our first game will be key in several ways.  I'm thinking we come away with the win, but some are underestimating the Jets too.  Their D is incredibly tough particularly their front-7.  Our new and improved OL is going to be thrown into the fire.  How we respond will be key.  (See the first sentence)  

Edited by PBF81

28 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Somebody help me out.

My wife and I are currently away on holiday, and I thought that I'd check in this morning to see if there was any Bills news.

I log in, and I immediately feel like I've entered some bizzaro world, where people on this board are actually writing positive things about the team, instead of the incessant whining that's been predominant for the last few years.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a very positive person, and love seeing positive things written... I just can't get my head around it.  Why all of a sudden are fans so much more positive?

Did they put something in the water?  Are they dousing the air like Chemtrails with "happy drugs"?

Or are the more positive fans (like me) finally speaking their minds over the negative Nancy's?

Whatever the reason, I love it!

Keep it up and ENJOY the ride!

Let's go Buffalo!!!

Because they added an upgrade (over what they had) at MLB.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Because they added an upgrade (over what they had) at MLB.

My understanding is that Kirksey is an OLB.  

Why is he an upgrade at MLB?  Or are you referring to another LB?  

Even at MLB, it seems to be a bit of a reach to suggest that he's a significant upgrade.  

Edited by PBF81

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

He's an ILB/MLB.  Played there most of his career.

Either way, doesn't seem as if he's got very many notables to his play over the years.  His stats are unimpressive, particularly for a MLB/ILB.  

Again, not thinking he's much of an upgrade regardless.  

I guess we'll find out shortly.  

IMO it's not going to matter all that much as offense is going to carry the team this season.  As the offense goes, so will the team go.  

As you can see, I have high hopes.  Let's hope that they materialize.  

Just now, Doc said:

Did you see his stats from last year?  And over Dodson et al, he's an upgrade.

Well, OK, but IMO that's more a knock on Dodson than it is much hope for the MLB position.  

We shall see.  I don't think it's going to make much if any of a difference, especially since he just got here too.  

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, OK, but IMO that's more a knock on Dodson than it is much hope for the MLB position.  

We shall see.  I don't think it's going to make much if any of a difference, especially since he just got here too. 

His production from last year has nothing to do with Dodson.  And yes, it's a knock on Dodson.

And he's a veteran.  Roquan Smith signed with the Ravens in-season and started for them 7 days later.

We were 13-3 last year despite a massive injury toll and all those turnovers. Last year's schedule was brutal too. 2 of our 3 losses were in the division and all 3 were by a combined single score. Chicago way overpaid Edmunds for both his talent level and position. We have3 weak holes, as you put it (MLB, CB2 and RT). How many does KC have? Cincinnati? Miami? New York? I think (if we stay fairly healthy) we could win more games than last year and even win the SB. This ain't like any other sport where you have to win like 20 playoff games to win it all. You could win as few as 3 and be champions. We'll be very good and maybe even better.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm much more optimistic after adding Kirksey.  He'll be starting week 1.

Maybe, but Bernard really didn't have much of a shot. Maybe he's the guy. Still, that was a great signing to shore up the D.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Doc said:

His production from last year has nothing to do with Dodson.  And yes, it's a knock on Dodson.

And he's a veteran.  Roquan Smith signed with the Ravens in-season and started for them 7 days later.

You're preaching to the choir.  

Roquan Smith is a far better player however.  There's no comparison to Dodson, now or at the time of their respective drafts.  Smith was the first LB taken, Edmunds was the second.  Dodson went undrafted.  

If anything, it's a knock on "The Process."  

If you want a more reasonable comp, watch how Nakobe Dean plays this fall.  We could have had him instead of Cook or even traded up slightly to get him instead of Bernard.  There's a world of difference between those two players as well, a whole lot more than 6 draft spots.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.