I'm optimistic heading into this season

Pine Barrens Mafia

10 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

We were 13-3 last year despite a massive injury toll and all those turnovers.Last year's schedule was brutal too. 2 of our 3 losses were in the division and all 3 were by a combined single score. 

It was a very average schedule as SoS goes.  In fact, league wide, we ranked in a 4-way tie for the 11th (11th-14th) toughest schedule on paper.  

We only played three teams during the regular season that finished with 10 or more wins.  We started to play Cincy, the fourth, and they were getting the better of us before the game was canceled.  We beat KC by 4, the Ravens by 3, and lost to the Vikes by 3 otherwise.  

Only two of all of the other teams that we played scored more points than they allowed, New England and Detroit, and Detroit pushed the game to the time limit.  New England, despite scoring a point-a-game more than they allowed, was not good.  Their offense ranked 17th and their D ranked 11th.  The schedule was far from brutal.  

The Jets beat us once as well and allowed us an average of only 18.5, to their 16 PPG in both contests.  We maxed out at 317 total yards, 20 points, and 19 1st-Downs against them.  Their D hasn't changed much, but their offense has.  

This season's schedule will be notably tougher.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the toughtest handful in the league by season's end.  

As long as our offense antes up to expectations we'll be fine however.  

Teams can easily win a Super Bowl with an average D these days.  

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You're preaching to the choir.  

Roquan Smith is a far better player however.  There's no comparison to Dodson, now or at the time of their respective drafts.  Smith was the first LB taken, Edmunds was the second.  Dodson went undrafted.  

If anything, it's a knock on "The Process."  

If you want a more reasonable comp, watch how Nakobe Dean plays this fall.  We could have had him instead of Cook or even traded up slightly to get him instead of Bernard.  There's a world of difference between those two players as well, a whole lot more than 6 draft spots. 

The point wasn't the quality of player, it was the ability to play in a defense.  Kirksey has been in the league for 9 seasons and shouldn't have a problem.

As for Dean, he played just 43 defensive snaps total last season, his rookie season, including just 9 in the playoffs (and none in the SB).  He's a projection.  And he's just 5'11" and 231#.

Just now, Doc said:

The point wasn't the quality of player, it was the ability to play in a defense.  Kirksey has been in the league for 9 seasons and shouldn't have a problem.

As for Dean, he played just 43 defensive snaps total last season, his rookie season, including just 9 in the playoffs (and none in the SB).  He's a projection.  And he's just 5'11" and 231#.

As someone that did a notable amount of post-draft research on Dean, I'm telling you that there's no comparison between Kirksey and Dean.  

Dean sat behind Edwards who joined Edmunds in Chicago this season.  Do your homework boss.  

Did you watch any of his footage from UGA?  Did you read his draft profiles?  

He'll be above-average in Philly.  Right now on a good day, even with Kirksey, we have average, again, on a good day.  

Kirksey also has a significant injury history, particularly recently.  

I have no idea why anyone is optimistic about Kirksey other than to replace mediocre with marginally better than mediocre.  

As well, we should be pleasantly surprised if he plays anywhere close to all 17 games.  

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

As someone that did a notable amount of post-draft research on Dean, I'm telling you that there's no comparison between Kirksey and Dean.  

Dean sat behind Edwards who joined Edmunds in Chicago this season.  Do your homework boss.  

He'll be above-average in Philly.  Right now on a good day, even with Kirksey, we have average, again, on a good day.  

I have no idea why anyone is optimistic about Kirksey other than to replace mediocre with marginally better than mediocre.  

As well, we should be pleasantly surprised if he plays anywhere close to all 17 games.  

Ok, you talked me down. I now hate this team. 

1 minute ago, Realist said:

Ok, you talked me down. I now hate this team. 

Good for you!

As stated, I anticipate the offense setting franchise records for Passing Yards, Total Yards, Points Scored, and Passing TDs.  

If that happens, which stiff plays MLB will hopefully be a non-factor for as poor planning as it was to leave us in this position.  

I will add this, Davlin Cook in the only game he played us in his career, tore us a new one last season.  Now he's with Rodgers on a team that held us to 18.5 PPG on average and a max of 20 points.  I'm not sure I see that going well for us a week from Monday.  

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I did research boss.  Despite his college performance and draft profiles, he was taken in the mid-3rd round of the draft, probably because he's 5'11" and ran a 4.7 40-yard. 

In his rookie year he was basically a ST'er, getting just a handful of defensive snaps in 6 games at the end of blowouts in either direction (including the playoffs), 12 and 15 in 2 other games and none in the season finale or Superbowl.  As I said, we'll see how he does now that he'll see real action.

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

I did research boss.  Despite his college performance and draft profiles, he was taken in the mid-3rd round of the draft, probably because he's 5'11" and ran a 4.7 40-yard. 

In his rookie year he was basically a ST'er, getting just a handful of defensive snaps in 6 games at the end of blowouts in either direction (including the playoffs), 12 and 15 in 2 other games and none in the season finale or Superbowl.  As I said, we'll see how he does now that he'll see real action.

So you noticed that on most boards he was a 1st or 2nd rounder then, right?  

Just checking.  

We will see.  Either way, this nonsense about Kirksey, I don't get.  

Some people simply cannot come to grips with the notion that we're in this situation because of pie-in-the-sky drafting and poor planning otherwise. 

Again, fortunately, finally McBeane have come to grips, even if they had their hand forced after 6 seasons, with the notion that A, you need to protect your generational franchise QB, and B, that offense, not defense, particularly passing, that wins championships these days.  

There's reasons to be hopeful, and reasons to be concerned.

Won't be surprised if they go 14-3 or 9-8.

The one area I think they'll imrpove is pressuring QBs.    McDermott calls a much more aggressive game than Frasier, should result in more turnovers.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Oh, any that Bernard was considered a reach in the third by a good many.  

As I recall, he was a projected 3rd - 5th.

But our staff knew better.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So you noticed that on most boards he was a 1st or 2nd rounder then, right?  

Just checking.  

We will see.  Either way, this nonsense about Kirksey, I don't get.  

Some people simply cannot come to grips with the notion that we're in this situation because of pie-in-the-sky drafting and poor planning otherwise. 

Again, fortunately, finally McBeane have come to grips, even if they had their hand forced after 6 seasons, with the notion that A, you need to protect your generational franchise QB, and B, that offense, not defense, particularly passing, that wins championships these days. 

Draft predictions don't really mean much to me.  It's production in the NFL that matters.  Dean is wholly unproven.  Now he may turn out to be a stud, but I'll need to see it first.

As for the Bills' situation, I'll admit it wasn't the greatest of planning, although injuries messed up their plans, but they may have gotten lucky here.  We'll see.

And I agree on offense.  I'd still like to see a complete team.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/31/2023 at 6:29 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Why? Well, primarily because being a pessimist is stupid and counterproductive.

But, here are some enumerated reasons for optimism:

1) Year two of Dorsey in his job. Experience is valuable, and now he's going to have some more tools in the box. I'm really bullish on the tight ends especially.

2) we have Josh Allen. So long as that alien clone supersoldier is our QB, we have a chance to win.

3) Another year for Groot. Last year, the Frenchman had a sneaky 8 sack season, I see no plausible reason he can't build off it. I see at least 10 for Greg.

4) no Leslie Frazier. Thank heaven.

5) The pressure of expectation is shifted to lesser teams in the Jests and Miami. This team does better in that environment.

I could go on, but go bills 

You forgot the third stic, realistic.

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Expect a much better offense, a notably worse defense, and how good this team actually is on Dorsey/Allen and whether or not they can figure out how to work in those short high-percentage plays to keep the clock and chains moving, and the D off the field as much as possible.  

My personal anticipation is for a franchise record pass attempts, completions, passing yards, total yards, and passing TDs.  

Also expecting pushing the top-5 for all-time points scored in NFL history.  I envison the team beating its existing franchise 31.3 PPG mark by several PPG.  

Defense, average at best.  

Not sure about our record.  I can see McD being outcoached at times, whether our offense overcomes that, who knows.  He'll have his hands full, and those that he's assigned under him aren't exactly rich in achievements.  "Comfort," "familiarity," etc., great, but short on overall achievements nonetheless.  

Our first game will be key in several ways.  I'm thinking we come away with the win, but some are underestimating the Jets too.  Their D is incredibly tough particularly their front-7.  Our new and improved OL is going to be thrown into the fire.  How we respond will be key.  (See the first sentence)  

We have too much talent on defense & a great staff, to experience what you're saying.  

Biggest difference I'm expecting to see this year is in the trenches, both sides got better especially IOL.  I agree that our offense should be better,  but we will also be playing improved/very tough defenses in the AFCE, NFCE and others.  I think setting the bar above LY makes sense for sure and should offense. realistic goal as top scoring offense. Historical/record breaking, I'll pump the brakes until the OL shows me more.

I have us finishing with 13-14 wins.  Much more well-rounded than LY, as a team, and think we will improve the most in turnover differential (past 4 seasons. +4, +4, +8, +0 in 2022).  In that department and improved RZ play, this team can take it up a notch.

Week 1: glad we have this "litmus test" immediately, only thing better would be Von suited up (but it's the correct decision).  30-23 Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Around here, "realism" is pessimism 

And by the same metric, simply being a fan is a "homer."

Of course, there are polyanna types, but when hoping for best plausible outcomes is grouped

in with irrational optimism, one's sense of "reason" and "facts" is just as distorted as what is abjured.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SCBills said:

I’m optimistic, but back to wait and see mode.  

It really comes down to the lines.  The over-investment (without returns) on the DL and the lack of investment (with ramifications) on the OL.  

The Jets game will really test both of my concerns. 

-Can our OL protect Allen against an elite DL?

-Can our DL, without Von, take advantage of a weak OL against a QB like Rodgers?

On paper, however.. whether by development, return from injury and/or additions, we should be improved at OL, DL, CB, S, RB, WR & TE.  

Then factor in a healthy Josh Allen and Year Two of Dorsey & Kromer. 

Lots to be excited about. 

If you look at the number of positive reactions (likes, etc), they outnumber the negative. By a landslide. I think they don’t post as much as the pitch fork crew because they know that crew will come at you. They’re a minority here, but damn they are vocal. 

Glad to see some positive threads, though. 

I agree with every bullet point. On defense an argument could be made we will be worse, but don’t expect falling off a cliff. I watched a YouTube video titled Belichick Defensive Genius. The premise being how the Patriots play Dime defense, and use their safeties and cornerbacks like LBs. I believe Kincaid is the key to unlocking our offense. If we can deploy 12 personnel effectively (pass & run) we will light up the Patriots, Jets & Fins.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

I agree with every bullet point. On defense an argument could be made we will be worse, but don’t expect falling off a cliff. I watched a YouTube video titled Belichick Defensive Genius. The premise being how the Patriots play Dime defense, and use their safeties and cornerbacks like LBs. I believe Kincaid is the key to unlocking our offense. If we can deploy 12 personnel effectively (pass & run) we will light up the Patriots, Jets & Fins.

Just because of the loss of Edmunds as he's the only player that isn't returning?  Because a healthy White and Hyde will be big, adding Floyd is huge and Benford no longer being a rookie should help.  And then Von returns after 4 games.  Plus late addition Kirskey helps lessen the loss of Edmunds.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Just because of the loss of Edmunds as he's the only player that isn't returning?  Because a healthy White and Hyde will be big, adding Floyd is huge and Benford no longer being a rookie should help.  And then Von returns after 4 games.  Plus late addition Kirskey helps lessen the loss of Edmunds.

I don’t expect Von back until Week 6, but the fact remains .. the defense we finished the year with doesn’t hold a candle to our opening day roster.  

Loss:

Edmunds

Added:

Floyd

Ford

Rapp

Now Healthy:

Phillips

White

Poyer

Hyde

Jones

I point this out because, justifiably, a lot of angst is due to how the defense finished the year, and then ended with another feckless performance against an elite offense. 

Admittedly, the age of our Safeties and the ability of the pass rush to be felt without Von are question marks - along with the obvious hole we’re trying to fill at MLB …

… but this defense, on paper, is far more talented than the one that limped to the finish line last year. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The defensive regression being the starting safeties are getting older, a step slower, both having injury history - that comes with high usage. 

Tre White should be back to near ACL performance level, but there is always the concern of never fully coming back to 100%.

And yes the fact Edmunds had so much length, size and speed to clog up the passing lanes in middle of the field. Kirskey has decent size, but is 31 and slowing down too. He doesn’t have exceptional height 6’2” vs Edmunds 6’5”, nor does he have long arms 32-3/8” vs 34.5”, or 40 time 4.72 seconds (2014) vs 4.54 Edmunds. Bernard is my hope for the middle as he is just a better athlete at this point of his career.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I don’t expect Von back until Week 6, but the fact remains .. the defense we finished the year with doesn’t hold a candle to our opening day roster.  

Loss:

Edmunds

Added:

Floyd

Ford

Rapp

Now Healthy:

Phillips

White

Poyer

Hyde

Jones

I point this out because, justifiably, a lot of angst is due to how the defense finished the year, and then ended with another feckless performance against an elite offense. 

Admittedly, the age of our Safeties and the ability of the pass rush to be felt without Von are question marks - along with the obvious hole we’re trying to fill at MLB …

… but this defense, on paper, is far more talented than the one that limped to the finish line last year. 

Don’t forget Kirksey.  Maybe not a world beater, but should be serviceable enough.

On 9/1/2023 at 7:40 PM, Doc said:

Draft predictions don't really mean much to me.  It's production in the NFL that matters.  Dean is wholly unproven.  Now he may turn out to be a stud, but I'll need to see it first.

As for the Bills' situation, I'll admit it wasn't the greatest of planning, although injuries messed up their plans, but they may have gotten lucky here.  We'll see.

And I agree on offense.  I'd still like to see a complete team.

OK, but let's not forget the focal point of the discussion, Dean would have been a much better option than anyone we have now.  

On 9/1/2023 at 8:42 PM, MasterStrategist said:

We have too much talent on defense & a great staff, to experience what you're saying.  

We also have aging Safeties, no good option at MLB, which IMO you're underestimating the impact of.  

On 9/1/2023 at 8:42 PM, MasterStrategist said:

I have us finishing with 13-14 wins.  Much more well-rounded than LY, as a team, and think we will improve the most in turnover differential (past 4 seasons. +4, +4, +8, +0 in 2022).  In that department and improved RZ play, this team can take it up a notch.

We'll see.  I'm not a big fan of W/L projections, so much can happen to impact those apart from key injuries.  

I'd guess 11 or 12 though.  

We'll see.  One week to go. 

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Whether what, Dean's better than Dodson or Bernard? 

LOL, .... OK.  

We should know in about a month given the early returns. 

Sorry, I stopped taking people's words at face value a long time ago.  No offense.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sorry, I stopped taking people's words at face value a long time ago.  No offense.

None taken.  :) 

But during the course of the discussion, I've largely deferred to Dean's play at UGA, his associated videos, and the fact that generally speaking he was a late-1st-Round otherwise 2nd-Round prospect by most Draft analysts, while Dodson wasn't even drafted and Bernard, while drafted by us in the 3rd-Round, and not missed by many posters here at the time, was a 3rd to 5th Rounder on most Draft boards.  

Ignore me all you want, but ignoring that is a different matter, which is what you've done.  

Either way, we'll see, won't we.  I hate to break it to you, absolutely nothing you or I do, think, or say is going to alter the reality and outcome one iota.  

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

None taken.  :) 

But during the course of the discussion, I've largely deferred to Dean's play at UGA, his associated videos, and the fact that generally speaking he was a late-1st-Round otherwise 2nd-Round prospect by most Draft analysts, while Dodson wasn't even drafted and Bernard, while drafted by us in the 3rd-Round, and not missed by many posters here at the time, was a 3rd to 5th Rounder on most Draft boards.  

Ignore me all you want, but ignoring that is a different matter, which is what you've done.  

Either way, we'll see, won't we.  I hate to break it to you, absolutely nothing you or I do, think, or say is going to alter the reality and outcome one iota. 

I'm not ignoring you at all.  I've heard what you said about his college success and I don't disagree with you there.  But success in college doesn't mean you'll succeed in the NFL.  The Eagles barely played him last year on defense (about the equivalent of 3/4 of a game over 8 games all season long) despite knowing Edwards was an impending FA at the end of the year.  He's also 5'11" and 230# and it was widely reported that he ran a 4.74 40, although not at the Combine. 

That's why I'll wait and see.  If he plays well, great, I have nothing against him.

Edited by Doc

3 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm not ignoring you at all. 

You didn't really acknowledge the things that I pointed out that others, not me, said either.  

When you say things like that you've "stopped taking word that people say at face value a long time ago," you may want to clarify.  

In the course of discussion, I'm not even sure what that adds to a discussion.  If you have nothing to say, IDK, maybe say nothing.  

12 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You didn't really acknowledge the things that I pointed out that others, not me, said either.  

When you say things like that you've "stopped taking word that people say at face value a long time ago," you may want to clarify.  

In the course of discussion, I'm not even sure what that adds to a discussion.  If you have nothing to say, IDK, maybe say nothing. 

All you've talked about is his college performance and where people thought he would get drafted.  The guy barely played last year as a rookie even as the season wore on.  So let me clarify myself to you: I don't care what you or others think or say.  Dean will prove himself on the field.  Is that easy enough to understand?

Edited by Doc

8 hours ago, Doc said:

All you've talked about is his college performance and where people thought he would get drafted.  The guy barely played last year as a rookie even as the season wore on.  So let me clarify myself to you: I don't care what you or others think or say.  Dean will prove himself on the field.  Is that easy enough to understand?

We'll OK, but that doesn't address the topic from where you originally started discussing this with me.

It also doesn't address our situation.  In short then, you're implication is that Dean may end up being good.  But we know that no one we have is going to cut the mustard for any length of time.  Sounds like we agree on that.  

At the end of the day we have a hole there bc Beane didn't adequately address the situation.  I have no idea why anyone even argues that as many here do.  

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

We'll OK, but that doesn't address the topic from where you originally started discussing this with me.

It also doesn't address our situation.  In short then, you're implication is that Dean may end up being good.  But we know that no one we have is going to cut the mustard for any length of time.  Sounds like we agree on that.  

At the end of the day we have a hole there bc Beane didn't adequately address the situation.  I have no idea why anyone even argues that as many here do. 

Where I came in is when you said the Bills made a mistake not addressing MLB, specifically by not taking Dean.  I said that Dean, despite his successful college career and draft projection, was actually taken in the 3rd round and hasn't shown he's an adequate MLB since the Eagles didn't see fit to have him play more than a handful of snaps in the limited number of games he did play on defense last year as a rookie.  And he's only 5'11" and 230# and probably wasn't what the Bills were looking for after having a 6'5" behemoth.  Why you took offense to my "I'll wait and see" approach is anyone's guess.

As for addressing MLB, they did, by continuing to develop Dodson, drafting Bernard and Spector last year and drafting Williams although they decided to put him at OLB.  The question of adequacy is a different one because it relies on the players developing sufficiently.  None have played enough snaps in the NFL to know and Spector is currently on IR.

But the Bills just signed Kirksey, a guy they targeted several years ago.  So they just might have adequately addressed MLB after all.  Again we'll have to wait and see.

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

Where I came in is when you said the Bills made a mistake not addressing MLB, specifically by not taking Dean.  I said that Dean, despite his successful college career and draft projection, was actually taken in the 3rd round and hasn't shown he's an adequate MLB since the Eagles didn't see fit to have him play more than a handful of snaps in the limited number of games he did play on defense last year as a rookie.  And he's only 5'11" and 230# and probably wasn't what the Bills were looking for after having a 6'5" behemoth.  Why you took offense to my "I'll wait and see" approach is anyone's guess.  

I didn't take any offense whatsoever.  I was merely providing counterpoints to your seemingly one-sided argument, as you even continue here.  

I clearly pointed out why Dean didn't start last season.  If McD had drafted him and he had sat behind Edmunds, like he did behind Edwards, who's better than Edmunds, agruably I suppose, you and others likely would have said it was great planning and a wise move by McD.  But in this case your implication is that it wasn't.  OK  

You also continue to ignore that where Dean was taken was about the latest that any draft analyst out there had him, with some projecting him in the 1st, but most in the early 2nd.  Then you say the below ... 

As for addressing MLB, they did, by continuing to develop Dodson, drafting Bernard and Spector last year and drafting Williams although they decided to put him at OLB.  The question of adequacy is a different one because it relies on the players developing sufficiently.  None have played enough snaps in the NFL to know and Spector is currently on IR.

... to which I pointed out that "developing Dodson," an undrafted player that hasn't proven much either here or in college that he's even remotely capable of nailing down that MLB spot, that Bernard in the most optimistic draft projection was about where Dean was projected at his absolutely worst, and I have no idea why Spector's entering the conversation at this point, and Williams isn't even a MLB and as I pointed out, there's not one credible draft analyst that claims that he was.  Again, you completely step over the bodies of either incompetence or negligence in implicitly, if not outright, defending the team's draft methodologies.  

None have played enough snaps in the NFL because it's blatant that none stand out in the ability to play the position.  Sheeeet, if they can't do it in camp, then what are the odds that they'll do it in real games.  Remote, plain and simple since that's not obvious.  

Meanwhile, you dismiss Dean who's played even fewer snaps "to know," as likely not being good enough.  SMH  And you can't see the inconsistency in your approach.  

But the Bills just signed Kirksey, a guy they targeted several years ago.  So they just might have adequately addressed MLB after all.  Again we'll have to wait and see.

Oh please ... 

Look, I get it, you want to defend Beane a/o McD.  But let's be honest, there's no good explanation that let's them off the hook on why we have a bare spot in the middle of our defense this season, there simply isn't spin it as you and others have tried to do.  

Fortunately, and IMO, it's not going to matter much.  Don't get me wrong, I suspect that our D falters well into the range of the average, but no doubt you've seen me say that I expect the offense to set franchise records this season and carry us to whatever success we achieve.  

GO BILLS!!!    One week away.  

On 9/1/2023 at 4:20 PM, PBF81 said:

5 minutes ago you didn't know what position Kirksey played.  Take it down a notch, Boss.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/31/2023 at 6:29 PM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Why? Well, primarily because being a pessimist is stupid and counterproductive.

But, here are some enumerated reasons for optimism:

1) Year two of Dorsey in his job. Experience is valuable, and now he's going to have some more tools in the box. I'm really bullish on the tight ends especially.

2) we have Josh Allen. So long as that alien clone supersoldier is our QB, we have a chance to win.

3) Another year for Groot. Last year, the Frenchman had a sneaky 8 sack season, I see no plausible reason he can't build off it. I see at least 10 for Greg.

4) no Leslie Frazier. Thank heaven.

5) The pressure of expectation is shifted to lesser teams in the Jests and Miami. This team does better in that environment.

I could go on, but go bills 

You took a gummy, didn’t you. 

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I didn't take any offense whatsoever.  I was merely providing counterpoints to your seemingly one-sided argument, as you even continue here.  

I clearly pointed out why Dean didn't start last season.  If McD had drafted him and he had sat behind Edmunds, like he did behind Edwards, who's better than Edmunds, agruably I suppose, you and others likely would have said it was great planning and a wise move by McD.  But in this case your implication is that it wasn't.  OK  

You also continue to ignore that where Dean was taken was about the latest that any draft analyst out there had him, with some projecting him in the 1st, but most in the early 2nd.  Then you say the below ... 

... to which I pointed out that "developing Dodson," an undrafted player that hasn't proven much either here or in college that he's even remotely capable of nailing down that MLB spot, that Bernard in the most optimistic draft projection was about where Dean was projected at his absolutely worst, and I have no idea why Spector's entering the conversation at this point, and Williams isn't even a MLB and as I pointed out, there's not one credible draft analyst that claims that he was.  Again, you completely step over the bodies of either incompetence or negligence in implicitly, if not outright, defending the team's draft methodologies.  

None have played enough snaps in the NFL because it's blatant that none stand out in the ability to play the position.  Sheeeet, if they can't do it in camp, then what are the odds that they'll do it in real games.  Remote, plain and simple since that's not obvious.  

Meanwhile, you dismiss Dean who's played even fewer snaps "to know," as likely not being good enough.  SMH  And you can't see the inconsistency in your approach.  

Oh please ... 

Look, I get it, you want to defend Beane a/o McD.  But let's be honest, there's no good explanation that let's them off the hook on why we have a bare spot in the middle of our defense this season, there simply isn't spin it as you and others have tried to do.  

Fortunately, and IMO, it's not going to matter much.  Don't get me wrong, I suspect that our D falters well into the range of the average, but no doubt you've seen me say that I expect the offense to set franchise records this season and carry us to whatever success we achieve.  

GO BILLS!!!    One week away. 

You think that the loss of Edmunds (the only loss from last year's defense, while they added some good players and got some back/healthy) and being replaced by even Dodson or Bernard will cause this defense to just become average?  OK, it's possible...

Look, I get that you think it's cheap that they found Kirksey at the last-minute.  I think it's cheap that the Jets were able to finally get a franchise QB.  It is what it is.

But again as I said, the Bills addressed the MLB position.  We don't even know if they did it adequately because we haven't seen Dodson or Bernard play much in this defense.  Just like we don't know if Dean is an adequate replacement in Philly.  I don't think there's anything controversial taking that stance and college production and draft position, predicted or otherwise, don't mean much to me.  And it will probably be moot since I still see Kirksey starting soon, possibly game 1.

Edited by Doc

4 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I just hope the Bills beat the Jets.

Otherwise there could be a meltdown on this board of which the likes that have never been seen

Worse than the home playoff loss to the Bengals?  

Like, the literal last real game?

Big, if true.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.