Boogie traded to Giants

Rc2catch

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

On a trash team, behind a garbage line, without practice time.   How’s Moss doing?  How would the extra salary cap be helpful?  How about we stop wasting picks on RBs that can be matched by UDFA or 7th rounders?  I guess if you plan to use second round picks on DEs to give to your buddies team 2 years later as a backup and 3rd round picks on guys who can’t even contribute on STs, Beane’s plan is killing it.

I really like Evans. He should stay. 

3 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Good chance Miller is activated off PUP. If so, the 4 DEs getting playing time are Rousseau, Miller, Floyd and AJE.

The interesting play in terms of roster manipulation would be to have Miller on the 53, K. Jonathan as DE5, Lawson cut and signed to practice squad (not subject to waivers). MIller can practice right away. Then if Miller isn't ready week 1 or 2 you elevate Lawson. That would be the carrot for him, he'd get a couple of game checks in the first 2 weeks. 

Floyd had better be worth it.  9M squandered at a position so deep you give guys away.  Meanwhile we have one starting WR.

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

On a trash team, behind a garbage line, without practice time.   How’s Moss doing?  How would the extra salary cap be helpful?  How about we stop wasting picks on RBs that can be matched by UDFA or 7th rounders?  I guess if you plan to use second round picks on DEs to give to your buddies team 2 years later as a backup and 3rd round picks on guys who can’t even contribute on STs, Beane’s plan is killing it.

How is it that the Bengals completely mopped the Bills on both sides of the ball and the only player you would pick on the Bills roster over theirs would be QB, which is still debatable? 

That is absolutely untrue. 

We were out coached. You clearly don't understand the game of football other than a 10,000 ft over view. Go watch the game and you'll change your mind. Frazier looked like a high school coach. You're telling me EVERY player on Bengals team per position is better than every position on the Bills? LOLOLOLOLOL

Get a grip dude. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Eric Wood started at OG.

There are a lot of OL between the Basham pick and the Brown pick worthy of being picked. I can’t get too mad because DE was definitely weak and we needed multiple younger players at the position. Basham was a good prospect.

I was fine with the Rousseau/Basham combo at the time.  Basically thinking that outside of the top 10, DEs are a very high risk proposition - if a pass rushing DE is a sure thing, he gets drafted in the top 10.  If a guy has red flags but could be amazing, he still usually goes no later than the teens.  So my thought was that drafting 2 DEs high gave us a decent chance of at least 1 of them hitting.  And I'm very optimistic about Rousseau being a hit, so by that logic the strategy was a success overall.  Not a big success, obviously.

(If I'd done any serious draft homework that year and knew how good a prospect Humprey was, I think I would've felt differently.)

With that said, it's still fair and accurate to look at the Basham pick on its own and judge it as a failure.

28 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I don’t understand the logic of giving away an asset that can help your team win a Super Bowl this year. Keep the best players on your current roster, we’re not cardinals trying to tank for better picks next year

I think they have too many good players, they didn't want to cut a good player and get nothing in return. It is a good problem to have. I also think they love this KINGSLEYJONATHAN kid who very well could blossom into a star. But I'm also the guy who wanted the bills to draft JALINHYATT, but what do I know, er, wait....

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

The Bills drafting has been suspect. Is the issue talent identification or player development? They seem to be able to identify and develop DBs and not much of anything else.

Other than a starting LB in the 4th who's All-Pro, a starting WR in the 4th, a mid-round TE that's been a really good contributor for us, a 5-year LT, et cetera, ad nauseam

But yes this Basham thing is awful, Schoen's been taking us to the woodshed since he left

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Floyd had better be worth it.  9M squandered at a position so deep you give guys away.  Meanwhile we have one starting WR.

We saw what this DL looked like last year when Von went down.  It wasn't good enough with Boogie as part of the rotation.  

I have issues with some of what the Bills do, but signing Floyd is not one of them.  

1 minute ago, Breakout Squad said:

I really like Evans. He should stay. 

There’s the thing, if you took the numbers off the RBs, there isn’t one on this team that looks any different than the others.  Cook is marginally faster and smooth in routes, so I’m semi-optimistic that one might work out, but still not worth a 2nd rounder when the Colts can’t get more than that for an absolute stud (yes I know the contract is the problem, but the fact nobody wants to pay him, speaks volumes of the lack of value) You got all the others off the street.  

Personally, I liked Evan’s coming out and was excited when he signed, but I think he just lacks the vision to be anything more than a typical JAG.

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Other than a starting LB in the 4th who's All-Pro, a starting WR in the 4th, a mid-round TE that's been a really good contributor for us, a 5-year LT, et cetera, ad nauseam

But yes this Basham thing is awful, Schoen's been taking us to the woodshed since he left

um…..

dawkins

Milano

both drafted by Whaley*

• Like (+1) 2

This FO can take credit for Knox (who they grossly overpaid) and Davis, who is only a #2 because they refuse to get a real starter for Josh because he continues to cover the flaws of the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Last year the Jets drafted two All Pros in Round 1 and the Bills drafted a 4th string corner.  Allen is saving Beane's job right now.

With the 4th and 10th overall picks 🤦‍♂️The jets picked much earlier in the draft lol. Is this seriously a point people just ignore?  Not to mention they absolutely blew their early first round pick the year prior.

there are a lot less sure things in the late second round compared to the early first.  Compare what beane has done to other perennially good teams with late round picks, not an absolute dumpster fire franchise that will briefly be buoyed by the parity built in to the league before inevitably fading to obscurity when they can’t resign all those early picks 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

As the Count again points out, Beane didnt draft Milano or Dawkins. Which means we're talking about a few good 3rd and 4th round picks. Which only further proves the point of those of us saying Beane needs to do better in rounds 1 and 2.

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

um…..

dawkins

Milano

both drafted by Whaley*

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

that * is doing a lot of heavy lifting there

we know who was running that draft

If you really believe a COACH who was signed a month ahead of the draft did all that scouting and found hidden gems, then played the draft board and got them, then you must also believe it was he who missed on Maholmes, so he’s not very good at his big lifting.

that * is doing a lot of heavy lifting there

we know who was running that draft

McD was running that draft, based on the scout notes provided by Whaley and team. Classic Whaley Team draft, hitting on a CB and late LB, missing on WR.

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Shirley you can’t seriously think that.

Please lay out the conspiracy theory that the Bills were somehow using Carolina's draft board and Beane, who was not close to being employed by the Bills yet, was feeding another team info. Because the Panthers would have already taken this up with the NFL and the Bills would have lost draft picks if even a WHIFF of this nonsense was true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

If you really believe a COACH who was signed a month ahead of the draft did all that scouting and found hidden gems, then played the draft board and got them, then you must also believe it was he who missed on Maholmes, so he’s not very good at his big lifting.

My tinfoil hat theory:

He was working on the dl, hush-hush, behind the curtain with Beane.

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I'd throw in Morse, too. That was a huge FA signing at the time.

Yall keep wanting to move the goalposts which only shows we all agree with the main point whether you want to admit it or not.

Beane needs to draft better in rounds 1 and 2. End of statement.

If you want to argue against that, fine. But dont mention late round picks. Dont mention FAs.

Boogie was buried on the depth chart here since his arrival, so hard to tell if he could grow or develop more once given some playing time.  For us, it certainly makes sense to move him, we had a deep log jam and Shaq has more of a role here.  

But I will be interested to see how Boogie does in NY, I do think he still has potential to earn more playing time there than he did here.  Don't know if he can develop into a starter level player or not, but he will at least get more opportunities there than he did here.  Even though Boogie has been buried, he has had moments where he flashes some potential, even this preseason.  Now its on Boogie to see if he can take advantage of more opportunities or not.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yall keep wanting to move the goalposts which only shows we all agree with the main point whether you want to admit it or not.

Beane needs to draft better in rounds 1 and 2 and 3. End of statement.

If you want to argue against that, fine. But dont mention late round picks. Dont mention FAs.

fixed this for you but I agree with your sentiment.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Boogie was a bad pick at the time. Head scratcher from Beane. 

We were desperate for rushing the passer help—remember we’d just gotten done getting zero pressure on the Chefs in the AFCCG. I can’t get mad at him for doubling down on biggest need at the time. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I'd throw in Morse, too. That was a huge FA signing at the time.

Did Beane sign Hyde and Poyer?  I can't tell whether that was him or the folks who were running the ship in the interim period.  

Either way, those were both under-the-radar signings that should be credited as HRs by anyone's standard.  Classic example of the whole being more than the sum of its parts.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

How is it that the Bengals completely mopped the Bills on both sides of the ball and the only player you would pick on the Bills roster over theirs would be QB, which is still debatable? 

Hmmmm.....what are the differences between all the RB's?  Are you sure that Blackshear didn't practice?  Did the coaches forget to take roll call or something?  Or is Blackshear so outstanding that the coaches excuse him from practice? Why were the other RB's much, much more successful?

image.thumb.png.1f5746860c6f4d8e3b679935c6c78fa4.png

I don't care how Moss is doing, he's not a Bill.  If you think his $543,000 cap hit crushed our Salary cap....I'm not sure what to tell you.

Yes, the Bills got mopped by the Bengals.  Get over it.  We played terribly that day, it happens and it's a new season.

Spare me the exaggeration with everything is better with the Bengals lol.  To say they're better isn't a bad statement, saying they're significantly better than the Bills is.  

19 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

But a little extrapolation and he could have had 2300 Carrie’s for 7679 yards even accounting for wear and tear.

He could.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Did Beane sign Hyde and Poyer?  I can't tell whether that was him or the folks who were running the ship in the interim period.  

Either way, those were both under-the-radar signings that should be credited as HRs by anyone's standard.  Classic example of the whole being more than the sum of its parts.

Hyde and Poyer were both signed March 9 2017

Doug Whaley was fired on April 30 2017

Beane hired May 9 2017

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Cash said:

I was fine with the Rousseau/Basham combo at the time.  Basically thinking that outside of the top 10, DEs are a very high risk proposition - if a pass rushing DE is a sure thing, he gets drafted in the top 10.  If a guy has red flags but could be amazing, he still usually goes no later than the teens.  So my thought was that drafting 2 DEs high gave us a decent chance of at least 1 of them hitting.  And I'm very optimistic about Rousseau being a hit, so by that logic the strategy was a success overall.  Not a big success, obviously.

(If I'd done any serious draft homework that year and knew how good a prospect Humprey was, I think I would've felt differently.)

With that said, it's still fair and accurate to look at the Basham pick on its own and judge it as a failure.

It was a bad pick. I’m just not going to get angry about it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Beane needs to draft better in rounds 1 and 2. End of statement.

That was in specific response to his FA signings

but go off

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.