Speculation and discussion on Bills final roster cuts

Simon

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Shorter? I’m not sure about that, I’d be surprised if we rolled into New Jersey with 5 receivers.  

Isabella is sitting in the parking lot for our PS squad and week one call up.  I believe this because I agree with you.  Although Kincaid is sort of a receiver.

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

I am a little surprised AJ Kline was waived.  

I thought Isabella had a shot

Practice squad

Practice squad

IMO

• Like (+1) 1

Well... I guess the thing that bothers me about this roster is that there really aren't any big surprises.

Kingsley over Boogie is the biggest surprise.

I was hoping for some surprising development in the WR room. I wonder if Shorter has enough value on ST to have him on this roster. I don't see a spot for him on offense.

And I'm a bit disappointed with the RB room. I'm not sold on Harris. I thought Evans showed promise as a K/PR. 

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We had all off-season to get a legit Linebacker in the middle.  We didn’t make enough of an effort for Wagner, Lavonte David or Drue Tranquil or any average player for that matter. 

Beane spends back to back 3rd round picks on Tweener LB’s….Bernard has shown nothing to warrant starting.

& we don’t even bother to give Williams a shot at the role. 

Frustrating

if Dodson starts, the middle of the field will be the size of a barn for QB’s 

McD loves his Defense and using resources on it.  I think he feels better than you do about our MLB and most of us feel about it.  

But, I do agree with you, who is our MLB.  I don't think McD has faith in Dodson.  I sort of did with Dodson a few weeks back, but, not now.

Bernard has not been playing.  Spector is hurt.  Who plays MLB.  Klein is cut.

I think Klein is our starting MLB week one.  Just a hunch and calling it. 

5 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Well... I guess the thing that bothers me about this roster is that there really aren't any big surprises.

I was hoping for some surprising development in the WR room. I wonder if Shorter has enough value on ST to have him on this roster. I don't see a spot for him on offense.

And I'm a bit disappointed with the RB room. I'm not sold on Harris. I thought Evans showed promise as a K/PR. 

And who's our LS?

I am pleasantly surprised they kept Alec Anderson. I was afraid they were going to be knuckleheads and cut Anderson, whilst keeping Quessenberry.

Ferguson is the LS. They cut him in order to keep Shorter or Spector on the roster. Tomorrow they both go on IR and Ferguson comes back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The reason we have Williams at OLB is because we have absolutely no one else that can play the position behind Milano. Zero. Nada. Zilch. 

And before this season, we never had anyone of quality to replace Milano if he got injured or needed a breather. Now we do. 

We could have gotten a MLB on FA or the Draft. But during that time, we valued weapons, O-Line, and D-Line help more. And rightfully so.

It's frustrating to have seen so many around Draft time say we can get by with what we have and we should focus on other positions. And now that we did, people are freaking out about MLB.

Like it or not, the plan for MLB this season was to see if the 3rd Round Pick we spent on Bernard could pay off. Or if Dodson could do more after showing some good stuff for years in a relief role. One of the would either work out or we'd re-evaluate next season. 

Now it's too late to train a new player to be the Quarterback of the Defense. It just is what it is.

Good post and I like your thought process.  Agreed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I am pleasantly surprised they kept Alec Anderson. I was afraid they were going to be knuckleheads and cut Anderson, whilst keeping Quessenberry.

Ferguson is the LS. They cut him in order to keep Shorter or Spector on the roster. Tomorrow they both go on IR and Ferguson comes back.

I wouldn't be so sure Anderson is safe. There was no post saying he's solidly made the 53. They visited with Germain Ifedi today. I think it's safe to assume they want at least one OT with experience. If or more likely when they make a move for a vet, he's probably out.

46 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Your really good at throwing hot takes at everything Bills related. Turns out they were so cold most were probably heaved at Miami players faces in December. 

He's a troll. Ignore 🤙🏼

Go Bills!!

• Agree 1

OT depth is a little scary, but otherwise it looks like a pretty solid roster, and they cut some really talented players to get there. Hopefully they can put together a good practice squad, and make a run. Looking forward to the season, GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

I wouldn't be so sure Anderson is safe. There was no post saying he's solidly made the 53. They visited with Germain Ifedi today. I think it's safe to assume they want at least one OT with experience. If or more likely when they make a move for a vet, he's probably out.

I understand things are in flux, but thanks for the warning I guess. I am not going to assume that signing a veteran RT means Anderson is the fella who goes to make room. Maybe that's how it is. His versatility across the IOL and youth make him more attractive to me than some of the veteran depth who might have trade value.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

From all the updates, appears like these will be moves made tomorrow:

1. In season IR -min 4 week out (3): Barkley, Shorter, Spector

2. Sign(1): Reid Ferguson

That leaves us with 2 open roster spots.  My guess would be backup RT and Kirksey at MLB.

We have Evans, Johnson, Isabella as options for the P/S.  Each provides KR options, as call ups.

I think I see us with one roster spot.  Let's call it two though for the purpose of your comments.

I think Kirksey is an option.

For KR guys, yes we have options, agreed.

Regarding OT.  First is Alec Anderson a Tackle.  I think he is.

I like we took the young bucs in Alec Anderson and Van Demark.  I think it says a lot for their talent and the organization.  With that said, I don't think we are looking to add a OT.  Unless one of excellence falls out of the sky and that won't happen.

So, I think we may add a MLB or KR.

31 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

And who's our LS?

Shorter's size makes him a red zone threat. Harris offers that as well. I agree Evans showed some things and wouldn't mind him on the PS.

Yea we can sit here and squawk about backups JAGs. 

this roster isn’t Super Bowl roster. Just aint

ONLY hope is Allen plays at a mahommes level in playoffs and Kincaid levels up to kelce status. And I’m being Realistic

• Eyeroll 3

10 minutes ago, Manther said:

I like we took the young bucs in Alec Anderson and Van Demark.  I think it says a lot for their talent and the organization.  With that said, I don't think we are looking to add a OT.  Unless one of excellence falls out of the sky and that won't happen.

We visited with a vet OT today in Germain Ifedi. So we are looking. As I've said, I would be shocked if McDermott goes into the season with two guys who have never played a regular season snap as the backups. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, balln said:

Yea we can sit here and squawk about backups JAGs. 

this roster isn’t Super Bowl roster. Just aint

ONLY hope is Allen plays at a mahommes level in playoffs and Kincaid levels up to kelce status. And I’m being Realistic

I'm glad you think you're being realistic

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Manther said:

I think I see us with one roster spot.  Let's call it two though for the purpose of your comments.

I think Kirksey is an option.

For KR guys, yes we have options, agreed.

I think you're right and I likely misinterpreted some information on Barkley, from earlier today.  Seems he was put on season-ending IR, or at least didn't make the initial 53.

So yeah 1 spot very likely, after Reid signed again.

I'm hopeful for Kirksey, and cutting Dodson in return.  Had hopes for Dodson, but he's looked lost.

I only see us dressing 5 LBs each game, and think thats what we should roll with on the 53.  And think Klein won't generate enough interest on open market and could go to P/S.  He'd be good insurance, while Spector is on I/R

Leaves me thinking backup RT is the open roster selection: 

1. Anderson looked a bit shaky against Bears at RT.  Think he's better suited at any of the IOL spots. IMO, he's being groomed for the Edwards/Bates role next year OR compete for starting C if this is Morse final year with us

2. VanDemark looked much more comfortable at LT.  Think he'd be our top RT backup, ATM, but the supposed interest in Ifeldi makes sense.

Making use of the P/S for our 6th LB and potential KR options, seems to make a lot of sense and gives us most value on the 53 IMO

30 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I am disappointed they kept Poona over Ankou who outplayed him by a wide margin.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I think you're right and I likely misinterpreted some information on Barkley, from earlier today.  Seems he was put on season-ending IR, or at least didn't make the initial 53.

So yeah 1 spot very likely, after Reid signed again.

I'm hopeful for Kirksey, and cutting Dodson in return.  Had hopes for Dodson, but he's looked lost.

I only see us dressing 5 LBs each game, and think thats what we should roll with on the 53.  And think Klein won't generate enough interest on open market and could go to P/S.  He'd be good insurance, while Spector is on I/R

Leaves me thinking backup RT is the open roster selection: 

1. Anderson looked a bit shaky against Bears at RT.  Think he's better suited at any of the IOL spots. IMO, he's being groomed for the Edwards/Bates role next year OR compete for starting C if this is Morse final year with us

2. VanDemark looked much more comfortable at LT.  Think he'd be our top RT backup, ATM, but the supposed interest in Ifeldi makes sense.

Making use of the P/S for our 6th LB and potential KR options, seems to make a lot of sense and gives us most value on the 53 IMO

Interesting.  Some more thoughts on your opinion and mine.

Anderson seems more interior and possible Center.  He is on the Bill Depth chart as 3rd string Center.  Maybe a stash for the year with Bates as 2nd Center.

Van Demark is back up swing tackle and we probably need another T.

Dodson, hmmm.  He is similar to Klein that he plays well running downhill and with the play in front of him.  In coverage, he is not great.  If we sign Kirksey I don't know if we need to cut Dodson.  But, McD does not seem to like Dodson especially of the last 3-4 weeks.  He continues to lose favour.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Manther said:

Interesting.  Some more thoughts on your opinion and mine.

Anderson seems more interior and possible Center.  He is on the Bill Depth chart as 3rd string Center.  Maybe a stash for the year with Bates as 2nd Center.

Van Demark is back up swing tackle and we probably need another T.

Dodson, hmmm.  He is similar to Klein that he plays well running downhill and with the play in front of him.  In coverage, he is not great.  If we sign Kirksey I don't know if we need to cut Dodson.  But, McD does not seem to like Dodson especially of the last 3-4 weeks.  He continues to lose favour.

Germain Ifedi is now signed. We will now see if Anderson sticks. I don't know that we keep 10 OL or not.

so.......

If we sign him, IR two players (Shorter and Spector), and then re-sign Reid Ferguson.....what are we doing at LB?

Are we really gonna go with 5 WR?

Are we really gonna open the season with 5 LB - Dodson, Milano, ST ace Matakevich, then three guys nursing injuries at LB?

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We’re really going to do this with Dodson aren’t we?   

My goodness.  

Looking that way 😬

Edited by Beck Water

21 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

I am disappointed they kept Poona over Ankou who outplayed him by a wide margin.

Poona has experience and good game film for what they're looking for. Too often we put too much stake in Pre-Season play. The plays we see during the Pre-Season are not even a sniff of the actual playbook.

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Germain Ifedi is now signed. We will now see if Anderson sticks. I don't know that we keep 10 OL or not.

?? Source ??

On 8/28/2023 at 2:34 PM, Ya Digg? said:

So you’re advocating that they keep Lewis over Elam? Did you watch Lewis play last year?!?! 

Well Hey Y'all.  Lewis is On the Roster.

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

so.......

If we sign him, IR two players (Shorter and Spector), and then re-sign Reid Ferguson.....what are we doing at LB?

Are we really gonna open the season with 5 LB - Dodson, Milano, ST ace Matakevich, then three guys nursing injuries at LB?

Looking that way 😬

Things will change but there are PS game call ups to get through a couple of weeks.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Things will change but there are PS game call ups to get through a couple of weeks.

Well, in general, GMs seem to want to keep your 3 free PS callups for later in the season.

It's possible they think Gimpy and Limpy are close to being game-ready and Spector will IR.

Still wondering about Klein though

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

"expected to sign" isn't "signed" - it makes a difference, today and tomorrow

If he signed right now, someone had to get cut.

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Let’s just hope he’s never in the game at an important juncture then! 

If he's on the roster, hold my 🍺

Edited by Beck Water

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

so.......

Looking that way 😬

1. WR: I think Isabella goes to P/S, gives us a weekly call up option if desired.  But think we only dress 5 WRs anyhow

2. LB: see us staying at 5, on the 53.  Only dress 5 each week anyhow, Klein likely brought back to P/S.  If we make a move for Kirksey, I think Dodson could/should be a potential cut.

Use the P/S for LB#6 and potential WR#6 (Isabella, Shavers, etc -likely a S/T role if dressing anyhow).

I see more value keeping 10 OL, for future and protecting against injuries in season. Anderson is likely a key backup/potentially ompeting for a starting C spot next season.  He's more valuable to me than a 1-yr Dodson, who looked replaceable this preseason (that's only if we sign Kirskey, another option).

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, in general, GMs seem to want to keep your 3 free PS callups for later in the season.

It's possible they think Gimpy and Limpy are close to being game-ready and Spector will IR.

Still wondering about Klein though

Agree.  I'm wondering if the 11 DBs will be a long term thing.

Good chance the 2 PS WRs could be used until Shorter comes back.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

"expected to sign" isn't "signed" - it makes a difference, today and tomorrow

If he signed right now, someone had to get cut.

If he's on the roster, hold my 🍺

It really depends on if they stick with 5 LB's and 5 WR's once the IR's go through.

With Shorter and Spector being moved to IR, that would bring us from 52 to 50. Bringing back Ferguson and signing Ifedi brings us back to 52. 

If we bring back say Klein and Isabella, a cut will have to be made for the Ifedi signing and I'd expect it to be Anderson.

But you're right, we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It really depends on if they stick with 5 LB's and 5 WR's once the IR's go through.

With Shorter and Spector being moved to IR, that would bring us from 52 to 50. Bringing back Ferguson and signing Ifedi brings us back to 52. 

If we bring back say Klein and Isabella, a cut will be made for Ifedi and I'd expect it to be Anderson.

Random, but I do not think Austin will sign to the Practice Squad.

The CB room is too deep and he would have a better chance with another organization.   His agent will probably find him a team where he will be rostered within a few weeks.

I am thinking we may get Broeker through, at least at first

If we bring back say Klein and Isabella, a cut will be made for Ifedi and I'd expect it to be Anderson.

I counted 53 with Shorter and Spector and with Fergeson cut....

I think if we IR them both and re-sign Fergeson, we're at 52 and then Ifedi would make 53

Which leaves no roster spots for either Isabella or Klein

But, maybe I'm mistaken

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I counted 53 with Shorter and Spector and with Fergeson cut....

I think if we IR them both and re-sign Fergeson, we're at 52 and then Ifedi would make 53

Which leaves no roster spots for either Isabella or Klein

But, maybe I'm mistaken

You're right. I was mistaken. As explained by Sal, with them IR'ed and Ferguson brought back, we were at 52. Now with the Ifedi signing, we're at 53

So yeah, for us to bring back another LB or WR, we'll have to make a cut or two. 

So I still think Anderson is not long for this roster after the Ifedi signing. But again, we will see.

• Disagree 1

You're right. I was mistaken. As explained by Sal, with them IR'ed and Ferguson brought back, we were at 52. Now with the Ifedi signing, we're at 53

So yeah, for us to bring back another LB or WR, we'll have to make a cut or two. 

So I still think Anderson is not long for this roster after the Ifedi signing. But again, we will see.

Sure hope it’s not Anderson on the outs. Maybe it’s one of the 25 DBs we have or the no reason he should be on the squad Matakavich 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

11 DBs feels too much, Siran Neal and Cam Lewis would be the two I'd move on from.

Siran Neal is not going anywhere. He's the only backup Nickel CB, our only "big nickel", and a core Special Teams player. They value him and that's why he makes what he makes. Fans constantly want to move on from him, but it's not even a thought to the decision makers.

2 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

Sure hope it’s not Anderson on the outs. Maybe it’s one of the 25 DBs we have or the no reason he should be on the squad Matakavich 

Core Special Teams is integral to this regime and he is our Special Teams captain. He's not going anywhere. Pretty sure his contract is in such a way that he'd be more expensive to cut than keep as well.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.