Expressions/Phrases You Hate

Gugny

Share out.

I’ve never heard this expression prior to moving to Vermont, so maybe it’s a New England thing.  When I’m in a meeting and it’s my turn to report my findings, the meeting facilitator will usually say “Now it’s Johnny’s turn to share out the results of his evaluation.”  It sounds dumb to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Share out.

I’ve never heard this expression prior to moving to Vermont, so maybe it’s a New England thing.  When I’m in a meeting and it’s my turn to report my findings, the meeting facilitator will usually say “Now it’s Johnny’s turn to share out the results of his evaluation.”  It sounds dumb to me.

I've never heard it but I agree, it sounds dumb.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Yeah that's horrible, don't think I've ever heard somebody use that phrase before 

Count yourself blessed. 

4 hours ago, muppy said:

you forgot one Tuco. How about  "drop a dime" in the football vernacular.  I have no idea where that thought began or exactly why it's called that. 

I always imagined it derived from the (very) old days when dropping a dime meant making a long distance phone call. So if the QB makes a long distance hookup with the WR, he dropped a dime.

But I have a very vivid imagination, so it could have had a totally different origin,.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Count yourself blessed. 

I always imagined it derived from the (very) old days when dropping a dime meant making a long distance phone call. So if the QB makes a long distance hookup with the WR, he dropped a dime.

But I have a very vivid imagination, so it could have had a totally different origin,.

this makes perfect sense.Great take thanks. I bet you are right!

1 hour ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Count yourself blessed. 

Dropping or stacking dimes also refers to a nice weld job

Dimes are 10s, 10 is a perfect score, etcetc

• Thank you (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, T&C said:

Ever had anyone end a request with "please and thank you"? Basically fighting words...

+1

Yeah... The guy working the McDonald's drive-thru at 4:30 in the morning. Really weird! First time I ever heard used that way... I was thinking about it, maybe some corporate thing they taught him. 

On PA at work... I will put my "pleases" first. Even if I throw in a thanks. Like "Thank you for your cooperation. "

When I say “excuse me,” to a stranger in a grocery store/any public place because I was briefly in their way or maybe had a near collision at the fault of no one … and their response is …

”You’re good.”

Instantly raises my blood pressure. 

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When I say “excuse me,” to a stranger in a grocery store/any public place because I was briefly in their way or maybe had a near collision at the fault of no one … and their response is …

”You’re good.”

Instantly raises my blood pressure. 

I don't care for that or " it's all good" or " no worries." 

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

+1

Yeah... The guy working the McDonald's drive-thru at 4:30 in the morning. Really weird! First time I ever heard used that way... I was thinking about it, maybe some corporate thing they taught him. 

On PA at work... I will put my "pleases" first. Even if I throw in a thanks. Like "Thank you for your cooperation. "

So you get into a lot of fights on them locks?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

“Smash or pass?”

You see this phrase a lot on social media.  They show a picture of some type of food and want to know if you’d eat it or not.  I hate that saying.

This made me think of “mash the button.”  Huh? 

I had never heard that until I moved to the south and somebody wanted to press a button to select a floor on an elevator. I gave that a funny look the first few times. 

14 minutes ago, Bills4everNY said:

It's not rocket science. 

Rapidly supplanting that is "it's not rocket surgery", which should raise eyebrows, but doesn't a full 50% of the time.  Lenny Bruce was correct...with usage, a phrase becomes trite.  Not unlike my Seinfeld memes. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

conversational time-outs.  Stalling.

"if you ask me . . . "

"in my opinion . . . "

"personally . . . "

"good question"

"for what its worth . . . "

------------

"sooner than later"

who removed "rather than?"   Because this statement is tautological.   And/or nonsensical

(though i'm willing to admit this is probably pedantry.   Since I do, in fact, know what you mean)

Edited by maddenboy

On 8/25/2023 at 6:17 PM, T&C said:

Ever had anyone end a request with "please and thank you"? Basically fighting words...

this is the workplace version of telling your child to "please wash the dishes."  Its not really a request and we both know it.

the adult version just rubs your nose in the fact that its not a request.   but the rubbing is the fact that i can rub it right in your face, without pretending to be polite about it, and you will still do it. 

The adult version also kinda implies that the listener was being childish, forcing me to treat you as such.  Because here, it means "i dont have time to debate it with you.  especially since i dont have to."

Edited by maddenboy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

When something doesn’t go the way a person expected. “That’s unacceptable”

Deal with it. 

or a play is described as unbelievable when you just saw it happen.

People who literally use the word literally all the time without literally knowing what it means. My head is gonna literally explode soon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

or a play is described as unbelievable when you just saw it happen.

People who literally use the word literally all the time without literally knowing what it means. My head is gonna literally explode soon.

That kicked my memory over to 'awesome'.  Christ feeding the masses on seven loaves of bread and a few small fish is 'awesome' territory.  Chocolate jimmies on your ice cream doesn't come close to awesome.  Get a thesaurus. 🤨

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.