Expressions/Phrases You Hate

Gugny

14 hours ago, Rico said:

"You do you"

- insult used by the feeble-minded.

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Is that really meant as an insult. Any time I've heard it said it was when two people agree to do different things or telling someone to be themselves. 

I was at a music festival and saw a woman approaching a port-o-john in bare feet. She looked at a random stranger and asked, "Should I go in there with bare feet?" The response: a hesitation, funny face, and then, "You do you."

I took that as meaning, "There's not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd do it, but hey, do what you want. And I'm glad you're not sleeping in my tent."

I think it was an insult.

• Haha (+1) 2

Any athlete who gave more than 100%. 

Before you want to argue, it is possible to be greater than 100% in some other regards, but not in an athlete’s effort. 

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

A work-related one that happens during the Q&A part of a presentation:

"That's a good question".

I always wonder what the presenter really thinks about the question.

It’s a compliment, because the questions before that did not get the same comment.  Think “Finally! Now that is a good question!”  😋

"I completely agree with you, however......" You can't agree with me and change it.

And not necessarily a phrase, but when a flight attendant gets on the intercom and says, "......we have a very full flight today..." So it's not just full, it's very full. OMG, is there somebody sitting on someone's lap? Is everyone over 200 lbs? 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

Before you want to argue, it is possible to be greater than 100% in some other regards, but not in an athlete’s effort. 

It’s a compliment, because the questions before that did not get the same comment.  Think “Finally! Now that is a good question!”  😋

That explains why nobody ever says it to me :)

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

When Madden was still announcing, he was talking about a player whose college GPA was 4.4 out of 4.0. He said, "If you're wondering how that works, it's because he took graduate-level classes as an undergrad."

I thought, "C'mon John, say it: He gave 110%!" Alas, he didn't do the math.

I loathe corporate jargon, and I can spot the insecure phony in a meeting by how often they use the jargon.  It's a never-fail personality test.  

"let's take this offline."

"change agent"

"ducks in a row"

"low hanging fruit"

"moving goal posts, needle"

Also... "it is what it is"

• Like (+1) 1

It turns my stomach just a tad when someone refers to their wife, husband, partner as their "soul mate." 

Look, I know that sometimes it is true, but; referring to someone as your "soul mate" is a statistical lie. When the relationship ends (as they generally do), is/was this same person really your soul mate? Do let me know after your divorce costs you a half a million dollars. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, muppy said:

"No"

I will add as an honorable mention  the 'vomit' emoji.. for obvious reasons.  Its an "expression" of disgust.  Sometimes when I see them they make me laugh but otherwise I just think they're mean. Aka the cowardly hit and run dont need to explain yourself disgust Dig.

me no likey.

You and Bill Cosby have that in common.

Until anyone can point me to an instance where something was NOT what it, in fact, WAS, then "it is what it is" remains the most worthless arrangement of words in the history of written and oral communication.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Not for nothin' (see what I did there?), these offseason lines get used way too much - 

Brings something to the table

Kick the tires

Something left in the tank

Then there's the edge. Nobody ever mentioned the edge until one day a bright football guy whose name I don't recall started talking about DEs and LBs "setting the edge" as in, getting penetration on the outside edge of the line and holding it so the play doesn't get outside, turning it back inside where there are more defenders.

Suddenly every announcer started calling everything on the outside the edge. We have receivers lined up wide who are on the edge. A running back sprinting for the pylon is trying to get to the edge. DBs are chucking WRs on the edge. Or playing loose on the edge. We even invented a new position for edge rushers. Well at least that one refers to the actual edge and makes sense, but still. 

It was the same thing when somebody invented the word "space" to mean the open field. He's good in space. He makes tackles in space. I get it, it was a good invention of the term at the time, but holy hell was it ever overused for a few years. All of a sudden it seemed like every announcer got paid a dollar when he said the word space. Same thing happened with the edge.

Thanks for letting me vent.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Not for nothin' (see what I did there?), these offseason lines get used way too much - 

Kick the tires

Then there's the edge. Nobody ever mentioned the edge until one day a bright football guy whose name I don't recall started talking about DEs and LBs "setting the edge" as in, getting penetration on the outside edge of the line and holding it so the play doesn't get outside, turning it back inside where there are more defenders.

Suddenly every announcer started calling everything on the outside the edge. We have receivers lined up wide who are on the edge. A running back sprinting for the pylon is trying to get to the edge. DBs are chucking WRs on the edge. Or playing loose on the edge. We even invented a new position for edge rushers. Well at least that one refers to the actual edge and makes sense, but still. 

It was the same thing when somebody invented the word "space" to mean the open field. He's good in space. He makes tackles in space. I get it, it was a good invention of the term at the time, but holy hell was it ever overused for a few years. All of a sudden it seemed like every announcer got paid a dollar when he said the word space. Same thing happened with the edge.

to your point about space. We want to get him the ball in space.....instead of getting him the ball with 10 players around him

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

You and Bill Cosby have that in common.

Until anyone can point me to an instance where something was NOT what it, in fact, WAS, then "it is what it is" remains the most worthless arrangement of words in the history of written and oral communication.

way to take a flippant sarcastic comment to the worst connotation possible. You win the internet today Bravo. ***** 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

to your point about space. We want to get him the ball in space.....instead of getting him the ball with 10 players around him

Yes, I totally get the use of the word and it's correct in its usage. But when the term was first invented for football, it suddenly became more common than a politician constantly inserting the "common sense" phrase into their new legislation. Which is another phrase I should have included in my rant. No single piece of legislation in the last 10 years has been introduced without the sponsor labeling it common sense legislation. Gets old quick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

"tons" which is used frequently in phrases which makes no sense.  

It is a lazy writer's idiom. (When I was an editor on newspaper I rejected such use except in a quote)

i.e.

"He has a ton of talent"

Bob Dylan song:

Well, he catch you when you're hoping for a glimpse of the sun,
Catch you when your troubles feel like they weigh a ton.

From a cartoon site:

image.thumb.png.cd50c56908e0e5e12118edd8bf85bd0e.png

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

Kick the tires

you forgot one Tuco. How about  "drop a dime" in the football vernacular.  I have no idea where that thought began or exactly why it's called that.  Didn't I read you about that before?.  Some other  distant board maybe lol

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.