Do you think that we will ever be so advanced that we create eternal life?

Royale with Cheese

13 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So lets say, I don’t know, 50,000 thousand years from now.

We are possibly so advanced that we can create organs in labs and transfer your DNA to your new brain.  Kinda like changing out a car battery and reprogramming your radio.

Any failing organ can just be replaced…including skin.

Is it possible?

I don't know but I vaguely remember the family of the deceased Ted Williams thinking this, or so it seems. 

In fact, a TSW poster once dedicated his screen name to this very phenom. :) 

Edited by Bill from NYC

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So lets say, I don’t know, 50,000 thousand years from now.

We are possibly so advanced that we can create organs in labs and transfer your DNA to your new brain.  Kinda like changing out a car battery and reprogramming your radio.

Any failing organ can just be replaced…including skin.

Is it possible?

hmm  meh I give it a maybe. It would be an amazing feat. But given the parameters you have set  I guess anythings'  possible.

Would I want to live forever on the other hand is questionable

Eternal is not the same as an infinite amount of time. Eternity is not time.

If Eternity has genuine meaning, it explodes the antinomies that end in apparent contradiction for finite minds and the conditions

of contingent, mortal being. Certainly, it is not something that can ever be approached or mastered by technology or any other

action available to either a single being or an aggregate of all the beings that start from a condition of need and lack.

Either there is a plenitude that is Pure Act from the Origin that is able to gift "eternal life" or it is a surd concept with only the emotive suggestion of meaning.

Infinite is a long time.  The universe is not infinite as near as we can tell so I’ll go with no.  If we’re taking “unimaginably long” rather than infinite I’ll make a gues.  It seems to me that there are three possibilities:

1. “Cure” the aging process

2. Master  replacing each and every one of the billions of moving parts that could cause moving toward death.

3. Find a way to transfer consciousness to synthetic devices.

Items 1 and 3 seem far more likely/practical to me than item 2.  Does either really fulfill the requirement though?  A person who doesn’t age could still get hit by a bus.  A synthetic device could still be subject to the need for energy.

Overall I’ll go with this not being achieved but won’t call it impossible.  

32 minutes ago, Wacka said:

And monkeys may fly out of my butt.

You might want to see somebody about that if it happens. 

My mother is 95, and unless they can improve the quality of life, I have no interest in lasting that long. 

BUT, we are growing our knowledge and capabilities at a rate that is almost alarming. Things keep advancing at an accelerating rate. I can’t even imagine what my grandkids will see, much less 50,000 years from now. 

• Haha (+1) 1

My mom was 95  when she passed two years ago.Was in relativelygood she until  about 5 years before she died. Nature always wins. Gravity and wear and tear takes its tolll.  The DNA replication proteins  have a set error rte and although the proofreading enzymes (which have their own error rate) the mutations  buildup as one ages.

55 minutes ago, Wacka said:

My mom was 95  when she passed two years ago.Was in relativelygood she until  about 5 years before she died. Nature always wins. Gravity and wear and tear takes its tolll.  The DNA replication proteins  have a set error rte and although the proofreading enzymes (which have their own error rate) the mutations  buildup as one ages.

Good point.

That’s why I said 50,000 years from now and not like 100 years from now.  With how fast technology is growing, I don’t know if anything is impossible that far ahead.

Just imagine that your great grandkids several thousands of years from now will be able to see who you were.  Every photo and video will be saved somewhere.

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Good point.

That’s why I said 50,000 years from now and not like 100 years from now.  With how fast technology is growing, I don’t know if anything is impossible that far ahead.

Just imagine that your great grandkids several thousands of years from now will be able to see who you were.  Every photo and video will be saved somewhere.

Sadly, more and more people are not even having kids. I have two daughters, both in their 30s, and it looks like neither of them is going to have children. Family “lineage” is dying out for a lot of families.

Regarding the OPs question: Yes, I think so…and it won’t take 50,000 years. Zager and Evans called it in the 60s.

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Sadly, more and more people are not even having kids. I have two daughters, both in their 30s, and it looks like neither of them is going to have children. Family “lineage” is dying out for a lot of families.

Regarding the OPs question: Yes, I think so…and it won’t take 50,000 years. Zager and Evans called it in the 60s.

If we can get to this point well before 50,000 years…just imagine what 50,000 years will look like.  Bringing back the previous dead?

You do know they’re printing organs in labs *now*, right? It’s going to take time before it’s a routine thing to replace a heart but surely not 50K years. Maybe 100, and that’s with massive-profit insurance companies & the slowness of public health guideline changes blocking the way.

5 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

We’ll be extinct before we even come close to that point. Guessing it will be “self inflicted” too.

In the movie Contact that was to be Jody Foster’s question to the aliens. Something like “How did you do it? How did you survive your technological adolescence?”  That’s a darn good question! 

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

You do know they’re printing organs in labs *now*, right?…

Aside from ‘printing’ organs, there are significant advances underway in Xenotransplantation (with gene editing to remove immunosuppressives from the treatment) and bioartificial (again, not requiring immunosuppressives) organs.

7 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Aside from ‘printing’ organs, there are significant advances underway in Xenotransplantation (with gene editing to remove immunosuppressives from the treatment) and bioartificial (again, not requiring immunosuppressives) organs.

Yup, a pig kidney was transplanted into a brain dead man and it's still functioning over a month later.

Its tough to say.  I don't think it would be eternal/infinite... but maybe could extend our consciousness well into triple digits.  

The problem is, are we going to damage the earth/each other, will there be a doomsday virus, etc?  Maybe?  Maybe not?

Also, can/would humans handle the idea of doubling/tripling/quadrupling our lifespans?  Will it be a perk sold only to the extreme wealthiest families in the world?  If it is more widely available, would we have the guardrails to control the population levels?  

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Does it change my retirement age from 57? 

That's actually a good question.  If it's not eternal life but we can extend the lifespan by 200 years...are you going to be required to work more or are robots going to be running the show?

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Its tough to say.  I don't think it would be eternal/infinite... but maybe could extend our consciousness well into triple digits.  

The problem is, are we going to damage the earth/each other, will there be a doomsday virus, etc?  Maybe?  Maybe not?

Also, can/would humans handle the idea of doubling/tripling/quadrupling our lifespans?  Will it be a perk sold only to the extreme wealthiest families in the world?  If it is more widely available, would we have the guardrails to control the population levels?  

Another reason why I picked so far in advance.

Are we comfortably living on Moon by then?  A space shuttle is like a ferry today...gets people back and forth in 15 minutes.

I don't think we could handle the quadrupling of lifespans on one planet.  We don't have the resources to support...or maybe we create the resources by then.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1

Likely be able to do it, but few would want it.  An "indefinite" life would lack meaning and purpose.   

You also don't want to be in the position where you outlive everyone you know several times over, especially your own kids and even your grandkids.

Concepts like retirement, kids and grandkids would also be irrelevant.   

I think it'd be miserable to live through so many periods of time.  I don't think someone who was 40 in 1950 would really enjoy today's culture.  

• Like (+1) 1

How is AI going to affect our lifespans. It’s already affecting our lifestyles. Things will start moving even FASTER!

On a similar note, my iPad will select certain topics or time frames and run a slide show for me. It could be sunsets, summer trips in the mountains, pets, etc. It just ran a series of photos (with music, of course) of our trip to NYC with our grandson last month. It probably played 10% of the photos I took, and I swear it was the best 10%. Those were the photos I would have chosen. It picked the ones with a great smile or the best angle of the WTC, etc. There are some I should delete, but they were left out. How do it know???   🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, Augie said:

How is AI going to affect our lifespans. It’s already affecting our lifestyles. Things will start moving even FASTER!

On a similar note, my iPad will select certain topics or time frames and run a slide show for me. It could be sunsets, summer trips in the mountains, pets, etc. It just ran a series of photos (with music, of course) of our trip to NYC with our grandson last month. It probably played 10% of the photos I took, and I swear it was the best 10%. Those were the photos I would have chosen. It picked the ones with a great smile or the best angle of the WTC, etc. There are some I should delete, but they were left out. How do it know???   🤷‍♂️

Yep, these are the types of things AI should be used for.

It's arguable that, at the rate we're going, AI could be our end. Bring our collective life spans to zero.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think it'd be miserable to live through so many periods of time.  I don't think someone who was 40 in 1950 would really enjoy today's culture.  

Consider what AI and tech do to bridge the gap between generations. The further we go, the more the previous generation is in tune with the new. Now you have middle aged people playing the same video games and using the same tech as their kids, whereas in the past the older generation did not embrace it.

Or look at music apps, for instance. An older person used to just stay stuck in their old genre, listening to the same records or the same radio station. But now they have an easily accessible app like Spotify with an algorithm that suggests new music they'll like, which they otherwise would've never heard of.

When it comes to entertainment, hobbies, chores, etc, the generational variance is getting smaller.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's actually a good question.  If it's not eternal life but we can extend the lifespan by 200 years...are you going to be required to work more or are robots going to be running the show?

Another reason why I picked so far in advance.

Are we comfortably living on Moon by then?  A space shuttle is like a ferry today...gets people back and forth in 15 minutes.

I don't think we could handle the quadrupling of lifespans on one planet.  We don't have the resources to support...or maybe we create the resources by then.

50,000 years we'll have definitely colonized another planet or have a significant portion of the population living in space (if we're not extinct). It's a necessity. 

Things can be done to resolve the resource shortages on this planet, but not the overcrowding.

Think about, what we worldly know, about eternal life.  Over the course of 'eternity', our Earth, and all the attempts we try to make Mars a new home, are just ego-hopehull-bull####. 

There's zero probability humanity can turn Mars into a more hospitable planet than Earth- it's just stupid people dreaming about things, really. 

god bless us one and all. 

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Think about, what we worldly know, about eternal life.  Over the course of 'eternity', our Earth, and all the attempts we try to make Mars a new home, are just ego-hopehull-bull####. 

There's zero probability humanity can turn Mars into a more hospitable planet than Earth- it's just stupid people dreaming about things, really. 

When you woke up this morning, did someone kick you right in the balls or something?

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Just 100 years ago the automobile was starting to becoming popular in this country. Now we are driving remote control science labs around on Mars. Just 120 years ago the Wright brothers first took flight. It wasn’t too long after that that men walked on the moon.  School kids walk around with cell phones that hold much of the knowledge of mankind. I could not have imagined that when I was their age. 

What might we be capable of in another 100 years? In 1,000 years? I would not be so quick to rule out what might be possible. 

21 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Consider what AI and tech do to bridge the gap between generations. The further we go, the more the previous generation is in tune with the new. Now you have middle aged people playing the same video games and using the same tech as their kids, whereas in the past the older generation did not embrace it.

Agreed, but that's all voluntary exposure to the culture of the day. If you're living forever, you're going to live through the good and the bad.

If someone told me in 1990 about 2000-present, I'd probably say "eh, I'll pass on renewing that eternal life subscription."  

8 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Agreed, but that's all voluntary exposure to the culture of the day. If you're living forever, you're going to live through the good and the bad.

If someone told me in 1990 about 2000-present, I'd probably say "eh, I'll pass on renewing that eternal life subscription."  

Tom Hanks and the mouse in The Green Mile didn’t see it as a great blessing, but he carried on.  I guess that’s what we do, until we can’t. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.