Is Matt Barkley a better fit than Kyle Allen in this offense?

Tipster19

23 minutes ago, Maynard said:

Who cares? Allen goes down and I want first pick in the draft. 

Um, I do?

Id rather have a guy who can manage this team to a W over someone like the Patriots if Allen needs to miss a game.  

If we’re being real, Allen probably should’ve missed games last year.. he’s just a freak. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Um, I do?

Id rather have a guy who can manage this team to a W over someone like the Patriots if Allen needs to miss a game.  

If we’re being real, Allen probably should’ve missed games last year.. he’s just a freak. 

yea, I mean if it’s the Tom Brady week one acl I’m fine with you being our qb and putting Tim graham at center

If he gets put in concussion protocol for one drive in the Super Bowl I hope we find away to secure Patrick mahomes as our backup. 

it’s all relative, right?

2 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

When Barkley throws the ball it moves so slow. It feels like the ball is in the air for half a quarter.

Yes like when he hung Beasley out to dry week 17 in 2020 so he couldn’t move in the playoffs. 

t this point I’d call nutcase Chad, has an NFL arm at least. Could not be more risky that trusting a game to Kyle or Barkley 

The only guy I can see out there on the market that it may be worth considering is Bridgewater. The concern with him is you have to change your entire offense from Josh because he is so different in style, but then that kind of applies to Barkley too and Bridgewater is a better version of Barkley. 

I dunno, I feel like that must be worth a phone call to his agent?

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Chaos said:

It’s quite a statement about the rest of the team and the coaching, if considered a complete washout if Josh is not available to carry the team. 

It’s really hard to overcome bad QB play. You’re being naive if you think this team would still be a contender with Barkley. 

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Looking at the backup QBs on the Indy roster when Peyton was there, that was certainly true.

On the other hand...Denver got to the Superbowl they won with Peyton, on the strength of going 5-2 under Brock Osweiler.

And, Philly won in 2017 on the strength of going 2-1 with Nick Foles then 3-0 in the playoffs.

So a competent backup QB can be critical to a championship, and it's a piece I don't think we have this year.

This...but also, I have to say I think Kyle Allen may have come in presuming a little bit on his prior experience training with Barkley and Josh off-season, and not felt "OMG if I'm gonna make it there I'm gonna really have to put my head down and grind".

Barkley, on the other hand, sees this as his best and maybe last chance to start some games for the first time in 3 years - he's no longer clear 3rd string to Trubisky and to Keenum - and he seems to be full-go

I have always said that you want a backup that get an otherwise good team to 2-2 over a four-game stretch. Mitch Trubisky was that guy. For a full season though? If Josh Allen goes down for a full season, the Bills would be well and rightly f**ked. He is like Manning in that sense — he is the offense and literally everything revolves his elite skill set.

Also, while I appreciate the the instances of effective substitutions that you mention above, I can’t help but think you’re having an “Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?” moment. By that I mean you’re missing the argument ender of all argument enders in this domain: a certain Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. In the year of our lord 2001.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I have always said that you want a backup that get an otherwise good team to 2-2 over a four-game stretch. Mitch Trubisky was that guy. For a full season though? If Josh Allen goes down for a full season, the Bills would be well and rightly f**ked. He is like Manning in that sense — he is the offense and literally everything revolves his elite skill set.

Also, while I appreciate the the instances of effective substitutions that you mention above, I can’t help but think you’re having an “Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?” moment. By that I mean you’re missing the argument ender of all argument enders in this domain: a certain Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. In the year of our lord 2001.

LOL.  Brady is a unicorn.  I didn't see how bringing him up would make the case.

55 minutes ago, DallasBillsFan1 said:

this.

Is there really no one else for back up QB?  I guess we'll have to wait for cuts.  I like Malik Willis in Tennessee.

I don't think Tennessee is quite ready to cut him loose.  I'm kind of thinking they keep their eyes peeled around the league and look for a trade partner for Tannehill if they like Will Levis.  Or they might think he needs a year (I think he could be the next Peterdude, myself) and cut Willis, who knows. 

Edited by Beck Water

I have been getting almost all of my training camp info via podcasts--but I am about a week behind in listening to episodes. Ditto for articles read.  I need to get my priorities in order!

I was ignorant of later camp developments when I wrote my post about Barkley being the best bet to be the backup.

So, never mind!!

It seems like Kyle  Allen has come on and has taken a strong lead in that race.

I am happy about that, as while Barkley has the knowledge and brains we'd want in that position, Kyle Allen has a much better arm and other physical traits we want in a QB.

This is, and has been, a concern of mine. Both guys stink. Please don’t give me the, “if Josh Allen goes out we are screwed anyways” nonsense. If he, or any QB misses an extended period of time, the team is done. This is about a 4 week injury. That’s how you have to look at it. If Josh misses a month, “can these guys keep the ship afloat?” With the division improving the Bills would likely need to be AT LEAST 2-2 in that 4 game stretch to survive. I do not believe in either of those 2 scrubs. When your SB window is open, you SHOULD have one of the best backup QBs in the league. I FIRMLY believe that. Trubisky was the perfect example of a guy that could maintain for a month if needed. I wanted Brissett this off-season (he played great football last year). I would have also accepted a late round pick for Davis Mills. It is a massive mistake, imo, to have these 2 behind Josh. Let’s hope that it doesn’t matter. I’d hate to look back at this year and say, “if we only could have won that Pats game that Josh missed…”

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.