Is Matt Barkley a better fit than Kyle Allen in this offense?

Tipster19

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Part may still be Kyle learning the playbook and getting timing down with everyone. However, the snaps in the preseason are going to be interesting to watch. 

I honestly never saw that tweet. This whole thought came to me today after reading about how bad K. Allen has looked in camp so far. Matter of fact I almost didn’t post this because I already have an active post going on, I just didn’t want to lose or forget this observation. Obviously if there’s no Josh Allen then we’re screwed but maybe Barkley could fill in a game or two better than K. Allen due to the current roster that has been acquired, that is really the only point I was trying to make.

12 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

I honestly never saw that tweet. This whole thought came to me today after reading about how bad K. Allen has looked in camp so far. Matter of fact I almost didn’t post this because I already have an active post going on, I just didn’t want to lose or forget this observation. Obviously if there’s no Josh Allen then we’re screwed but maybe Barkley could fill in a game or two better than K. Allen due to the current roster that has been acquired, that is really the only point I was trying to make.

I saw another Tweet that I cannot find now but it broke down Kyle and Barkley's stats over something like their last 100 regular season passes. The numbers were almost identical. Now I know Kyle has some more recent starts and is younger and yadda yadda...but neither are really anyone that should see a field. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything left on the FA market that could be justified as an upgrade. 

Maybe it's just me, but Buffalo doesn't want Barkley as Josh's main backup. If they were good with that they don't try and grab Kyle Allen this year or trade for Keenum last year. Makes me wonder if Kyle flops in the first and second preseason games if they look into trading for a QB

• Like (+1) 1

Not shocking that Barkley is ahead of Kyle Allen. Barkley has been with the team 3 out of the last 5 seasons including last season. So he has a familiarity with the players on the roster and the playbook. I would give it a few more weeks to see how this shakes out for the regular season. 

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

If Josh can’t play then we’re screwed with either of them. It’s not really something I worry about for that reason.

It’s quite a statement about the rest of the team and the coaching, if considered a complete washout if Josh is not available to carry the team. 

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Looking at the backup QBs on the Indy roster when Peyton was there, that was certainly true.

On the other hand...Denver got to the Superbowl they won with Peyton, on the strength of going 5-2 under Brock Osweiler.

And, Philly won in 2017 on the strength of going 2-1 with Nick Foles then 3-0 in the playoffs.

So a competent backup QB can be critical to a championship, and it's a piece I don't think we have this year.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Not shocking that Barkley is ahead of Kyle Allen. Barkley has been with the team 3 out of the last 5 seasons including last season. So he has a familiarity with the players on the roster and the playbook. I would give it a few more weeks to see how this shakes out for the regular season. 

This...but also, I have to say I think Kyle Allen may have come in presuming a little bit on his prior experience training with Barkley and Josh off-season, and not felt "OMG if I'm gonna make it there I'm gonna really have to put my head down and grind".

Barkley, on the other hand, sees this as his best and maybe last chance to start some games for the first time in 3 years - he's no longer clear 3rd string to Trubisky and to Keenum - and he seems to be full-go

Edited by Beck Water

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It’s quite a statement about the rest of the team and the coaching, if considered a complete washout if Josh is not available to carry the team. 

Considering that it is a rare team that is not screwed if their QB1 goes down for a period of time, I don’t think it’s much of a stretch for Bang to say that, 

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Considering that it is a rare team that is not screwed if their QB1 goes down for a period of time, I don’t think it’s much of a stretch for Bang to say that, 

See examples above

Also Eagles last year 0-2 with Minshew - supports your contention

Ravens 2-2 under Tyler Huntly - supports it

San Francisco 5-0 with Brock Purdy and plausibly, one torn UCL from contending in that playoff game - argues against your contention

Cowboys 4-1 under Cooper Rush argues against it

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Wow the post right above yours points out two examples.  There are many more.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Part may still be Kyle learning the playbook and getting timing down with everyone. However, the snaps in the preseason are going to be interesting to watch. 

response:

Me: waaaaat?  asparagus and broccoli, properly cooked, are both delish!

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Wow the post right above yours points out two examples.  There are many more.  

Wasn’t up when I posted, what other teams are going to succeed at the same rate when they lose their top three rated QB? The answer is not very many, my statement still stands. 

9 minutes ago, Luka said:

Sign Alex McGough you cowards! 

He's on the Packers roster. From what I've seen online he stands a real shot at being QB2 there.

Right now aside from the guys that are retired or rumored to be (Matt Ryan) the main guys I can think of that are FAs are Teddy Bridgewater and Carson Wentz. And some here will want those guys because "I've heard of him". But neither are much better an option than Barkley and Allen IMO.

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

He's on the Packers roster. From what I've seen online he stands a real shot at being QB2 there.

Right now aside from the guys that are retired or rumored to be (Matt Ryan) the main guys I can think of that are FAs are Teddy Bridgewater and Carson Wentz. And some here will want those guys because "I've heard of him". But neither are much better an option than Barkley and Allen IMO.

Happy for him but that's a damn shame for us. McGough lit the USFL up and he really is a very similar style to Allen, in that you could put him in and expect him to operate 80% of the offense no problem. 

Kyle Allen has double the career passing attempts in half the career length. He has won 5 games in a row in his career. He’s not special, but he’s obviously the backup. Barkley is assistant quarterback’s coach. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.