Is Matt Barkley a better fit than Kyle Allen in this offense?

Tipster19

14 hours ago, Zag20 said:

Kyle Allen has double the career passing attempts in half the career length. He has won 5 games in a row in his career. He’s not special, but he’s obviously the backup. Barkley is assistant quarterback’s coach. 

I had hopes that Kyle Allen could secure a backup role not only for this year but for future years.  It has been reported that he is struggling.

I'm going to watch the preseason games and see if he can produce before making any final decision on him.

really wish Fitz was 5 years younger & wanted to backup Josh. Would've been perfect

Barkley has all the other traits a QB needs except the physical ones. He has the arm of a noodle. Kyle Allen isnt much better but at least has a little more velocity on his throws. But both suck.

Ironically enough i went on playerprofiler.com & they have Barkley's best comparable player as Fitzpatrick lol. Man i wish that were the case.

Screenshot_1.jpg

I recall seeing Kyle Allen play in a couple games (on Red Zone occasionally) and was completely unimpressed with what i saw.  The Bills need to steal a promising QB from someone else's practice squad or whatever and groom him.  or get a Vet.  The QB behind Josh needs to be better than what we have.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is, and has been, a concern of mine. Both guys stink. Please don’t give me the, “if Josh Allen goes out we are screwed anyways” nonsense. If he, or any QB misses an extended period of time, the team is done. This is about a 4 week injury. That’s how you have to look at it. If Josh misses a month, “can these guys keep the ship afloat?” With the division improving the Bills would likely need to be AT LEAST 2-2 in that 4 game stretch to survive. I do not believe in either of those 2 scrubs. When your SB window is open, you SHOULD have one of the best backup QBs in the league. I FIRMLY believe that. Trubisky was the perfect example of a guy that could maintain for a month if needed. I wanted Brissett this off-season (he played great football last year). I would have also accepted a late round pick for Davis Mills. It is a massive mistake, imo, to have these 2 behind Josh. Let’s hope that it doesn’t matter. I’d hate to look back at this year and say, “if we only could have won that Pats game that Josh missed…”

Absolutely, it's about the four game separated shoulder type-injury stretch, and these guys are really terrible. You want a guy like Charlie Batch in the veteran stage of his career. He wasn't very good, but he could manage a game. The Steelers went 6-3 in the games he started between 2005 and 2012.

If Allen were to go down early for the full season, though, I'd almost prefer that they ended up with a top five draft pick so that they could take whichever version of Jamarr Chase is available in the subsequent year's draft.    

Agree about Davis Mills. He gives off serious competent backup vet QB vibes. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

Who fits the offense better?  Who cares!? 

If Josh goes down for any appreciable amount of time, the season is over.

There is solace in knowing it is exactly the same for every team in the league, save 1 or 2.

Mitch Trubisky was the perfect backup QB for this team.  I undestand that he went to Pittsburgh for the chance to start and revive his career, but now he's backing up Pickett.  It's not to stay that Mitch is a great player, but he's been around the league long enough to know what he's doing, he's been with the team before, so he knows the offense, and he's still young and athletic.  On his best day, he's probably better than the average NFL QB and would give the Bills a chance to compete with anybody.  He's not going to have is best day every time out, but even when it isn't his best day, the team would still have a decent chance of winning against most teams if the defense and special teams played well.  Barkley is not that talented.  On his best day, the team would need the defense and special teams and if it wasn't his best day, the Bills would likely be toast.  I have not seen Kyle Allen play enough to assess where he falls.  That's what this preseason will be for.  Obviously, so far, Kyle Allen is not as good as Barkely, but that could change through the course of camp and preseason.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, zow2 said:

I recall seeing Kyle Allen play in a couple games (on Red Zone occasionally) and was completely unimpressed with what i saw.  The Bills need to steal a promising QB from someone else's practice squad or whatever and groom him.  or get a Vet.  The QB behind Josh needs to be better than what we have.

Tyrod?

We have one of the worst qbs rooms after Allen.  It’s amazing how many fans just discount this. This is a SB contender who has a guy on Barkley (starisicually one of the worst qbs of the last 20 years) and a dime a dozen journeyman in Kyle Allen. 

It’s so wild how qb is the most important position in sports and get paid so much than they every other position yet when it comes to the backup qb, we will settle for sales bin at dollar general. I hate our backup qbs (nice guys, terrible nfl qbs). 

3 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Mitch Trubisky was the perfect backup QB for this team.  I undestand that he went to Pittsburgh for the chance to start and revive his career, but now he's backing up Pickett.  It's not to stay that Mitch is a great player, but he's been around the league long enough to know what he's doing, he's been with the team before, so he knows the offense, and he's still young and athletic.  On his best day, he's probably better than the average NFL QB and would give the Bills a chance to compete with anybody.  He's not going to have is best day every time out, but even when it isn't his best day, the team would still have a decent chance of winning against most teams if the defense and special teams played well.  Barkley is not that talented.  On his best day, the team would need the defense and special teams and if it wasn't his best day, the Bills would likely be toast.  I have not seen Kyle Allen play enough to assess where he falls.  That's what this preseason will be for.  Obviously, so far, Kyle Allen is not as good as Barkely, but that could change through the course of camp and preseason.

Mitch is a terrible starting qb but at least he has some skills and has played in big games. I can’t believe this is the best they can do.

7 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Tyrod?

Tyrod is MArgot Robbie to these scrubs (nice guys). 

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only guy I can see out there on the market that it may be worth considering is Bridgewater. The concern with him is you have to change your entire offense from Josh because he is so different in style, but then that kind of applies to Barkley too and Bridgewater is a better version of Barkley. 

I dunno, I feel like that must be worth a phone call to his agent?

NFL network reporting that he’s signing with Detroit.

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would have also accepted a late round pick for Davis Mills.

I would still take this deal right now if possible. I think it makes sense for Houston too. They don't want a young player backing up a rookie. Keenum is perfect in that role for them. With Keenum and Stroud in the room everyone in the building understands the hierarchy. Mills muddies the waters for them a bit.

I saw enough from Mills last year to think he is good backup material. He wasn't the solution in Houston but he also wasn't the problem. If the goal is to get this roster 2-2 across 4 games I think Mills fits that criteria.

Plus we would still have Mills under contract in 2024 so it gives us some consistency at the position.

The more I think about it the more I really like the idea.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.