Is Matt Barkley a better fit than Kyle Allen in this offense?

Tipster19

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I would still take this deal right now if possible. I think it makes sense for Houston too. They don't want a young player backing up a rookie. Keenum is perfect in that role for them. With Keenum and Stroud in the room everyone in the building understands the hierarchy. Mills muddies the waters for them a bit.

I saw enough from Mills last year to think he is good backup material. He wasn't the solution in Houston but he also wasn't the problem. If the goal is to get this roster 2-2 across 4 games I think Mills fits that criteria.

Plus we would still have Mills under contract in 2024 so it gives us some consistency at the position.

The more I think about it the more I really like the idea.

Great thought!! I didn’t think about the “young threat” being a bad idea. Get it done!! Mills Mafia!!

One other layer to add is if he did show out in that 4 week window, you’d have an elite trade chip. It makes so much sense.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/6/2023 at 1:50 PM, Bangarang said:

If Josh can’t play then we’re screwed with either of them. It’s not really something I worry about for that reason.

This is why they have to keep adding to the ol until its a wall protecting Josh and any other qb we put in game, preferably at end of a game that just needs clock run out on a convincing win where they let Josh take a seat to avoid extra hits.  If the ol is good enough then u can make do with less talent in your backup qb as they will benefit from a strong oline as well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/8/2023 at 6:56 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Great thought!! I didn’t think about the “young threat” being a bad idea. Get it done!! Mills Mafia!!

One other layer to add is if he did show out in that 4 week window, you’d have an elite trade chip. It makes so much sense.

I would love to have Mills, that’s a guy that should get another shot to start.  The Texans gave him the ole Carr treatment.

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

This is why they have to keep adding to the ol until its a wall protecting Josh and any other qb we put in game, preferably at end of a game that just needs clock run out on a convincing win where they let Josh take a seat to avoid extra hits.  If the ol is good enough then u can make do with less talent in your backup qb as they will benefit from a strong oline as well.

Yeah well that should've been the plan for the last 5+ years.  Yes we slightly upgraded the interior OL, but our tackles are vulnerable.  Dion gave up 3 sacks and 30 pressures last year. And don't get me started on Brown. There's more work needed on the OL if you really want to be serious about protecting your #1 asset.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is like being asked to choose my hottest cousin.

Fact of the matter is, if Josh goes down for an extended period of time/the season, then our season is done.

Pull a Cincinnati Special. Tank it and get a top 10 pick. Then add that talent and get your QB back in 2024 to make a run.

There's really no point to discussing Kyle vs Barkley (but I get it, message board and all).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I would love to have Mills, that’s a guy that should get another shot to start.  The Texans gave him the ole Carr treatment.

I’ll throw another random name out there: Jameis. They have Carr and Taysom. I think he could be another option. The Saints think highly of him but maybe one of those DL and/or a late round pick could convince them to part with him? There are some options. 

37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Matt just knows the offense better he’s been here for years

When it comes to physical traits, Kyle Allen is far superior

Yeah, but Kyle looks lost, I don’t care how physically gifted he is, he looked awful.  There’s zero upside to him, he’s had his chance to start and couldn’t get it done, he’s a back up, you pick the best one to take over in a case of emergency, and he’s not it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll throw another random name out there: Jameis. They have Carr and Taysom. I think he could be another option. The Saints think highly of him but maybe one of those DL and/or a late round pick could convince them to part with him? There are some options. 

Way too costly, he’s the best back up in the league by a WIDE margin and should be starting somewhere, I’d love to have him, but it’s not going to fit on the money side.  I could absolutely see them trading him to a team that has an injury in the season for a 3rd or higher.  With Hill, they can get away without a “true” back-up. 

I think Jameis is either content to stay with them or has a ***** agent or both.  There’s no way he should be in the position he’s in.  He could easily win the job for at least 5 teams if it were a fair competition.  He should have been begging for a trade to Washington, he would give them a WAY better shot to win, unless Howell is something we don’t see yet.  Honestly, the Saints would have been smarter (money wise) to let him take the reins this year, I like Carr, but I don’t think he wins them any more than Winston would.  He would win the job or be equal to or better than the options in Indy, Vegas, Giants, Tampa, Seattle, Green Bay, etc., virtually all of them are paying more for nothing.   There’s no reason for him to be where he is. 

1 minute ago, DCofNC said:

Way too costly, he’s the best back up in the league by a WIDE margin and should be starting somewhere, I’d love to have him, but it’s not going to fit on the money side.  I could absolutely see them trading him to a team that has an injury in the season for a 3rd or higher.  With Hill, they can get away without a “true” back-up. 

I think Jameis is either content to stay with them or has a ***** agent or both.  There’s no way he should be in the position he’s in.  He could easily win the job for at least 5 teams if it were a fair competition.  He should have been begging for a trade to Washington, he would give them a WAY better shot to win, unless Howell is something we don’t see yet.  Honestly, the Saints would have been smarter (money wise) to let him take the reins this year, I like Carr, but I don’t think he wins them any more than Winston would.  He would win the job or be equal to or better than the options in Indy, Vegas, Giants, Tampa, Seattle, Green Bay, etc., virtually all of them are paying more for nothing.   There’s no reason for him to be where he is. 

He is the free seafood u guy, and he has that little black mark from his time with Ron Darby, so maybe it’s not exactly his choice to be where he is.  

10 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah, but Kyle looks lost, I don’t care how physically gifted he is, he looked awful.  There’s zero upside to him, he’s had his chance to start and couldn’t get it done, he’s a back up, you pick the best one to take over in a case of emergency, and he’s not it.

You can also easily overestimate what you see in a preseason game.  Keenum was way worse in his first game last year.   You might be right in the end but you cannot use 15 passes to fully judge anyone, especially in the preseason.  THat could lead you to picking Nathan Peterman.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:04 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

He's on the Packers roster. From what I've seen online he stands a real shot at being QB2 there.

Right now aside from the guys that are retired or rumored to be (Matt Ryan) the main guys I can think of that are FAs are Teddy Bridgewater and Carson Wentz. And some here will want those guys because "I've heard of him". But neither are much better an option than Barkley and Allen IMO.

Bridgewater would IMO be a better option.  But he signed with Detroit the day after you posted this.

Carson Wentz is cooked.  If his SB-year QB coach Reich couldn't restore him to function, no one can.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Matt just knows the offense better he’s been here for years

When it comes to physical traits, Kyle Allen is far superior

Bills have a deep ball passing offense so a strong arm is needed.

Kyle has a stronger arm that Barkley so is technically a "better fit".

But Kyle doesn't know the offense and is struggling.

My prediction is Bills carry 2 qbs and put one on the PS.

1 minute ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

The struggles I see from Allen go way beyond not knowing the offense.  Pocket awareness, judgement, seems like he's only reading half the field at times? locking onto a receiver.

The Bills had better NOT have a "deep ball passing offense".  They better have a varied passing offense with a variety of short and intermediate options.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

They’re gonna cut them both to save a roster spot and maybe bring one back to the 53 or maybe see what else is out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/6/2023 at 1:44 PM, Big Turk said:

Kyle is playing himself out of a job that was basically handed to him since they want Barkley to be on the PS and have him there for his presence in the QB room and due to Allen liking him.

But the new rule allows a team to have a 3rd QB. I want to see how the Bills manage that.

On 8/6/2023 at 4:28 PM, Mister Defense said:

Barkley will be the backup quarterback.  He is more accurate, knows this offense well, and has the trust of the coaches.

Allen will either be cut, if he does not start playing and  practicing better, or on the practice squad.  Right now it seems the former is going to happen--needs to look competent, and soon.

He's only been on the roster a few months and played one preseason game.

Too early to write him off...and we know BARKLEY won't get any better.

I'm open to browsing the upcoming cuts for a QB

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Bridgewater would IMO be a better option.  But he signed with Detroit the day after you posted this.

Carson Wentz is cooked.  If his SB-year QB coach Reich couldn't restore him to function, no one can.

Agree, Bridgewater may have been the best of the above. However I didn't like what I saw of him last season, either. Could be he was just a bad fit in the Dolphin offense . 

Really feels like the Bills best option at an upgrade at this point if they feel they need one is a trade. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.