Torrence is the best news out of week one

Shaw66

I’m not giving up on Spencer Brown, but it seems the Bills have options there, Shell and Doyle. And a dark horse option is Ryan Bates. He’s played it before.

In the end, I want the five best o-linemen, no matter who. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

On a similar note, this snippet from Matt Parrino's latest training camp report:

Spencer Brown taking even a moderate step forward along with improvements at both guard positions would immediately put this OL in the upper half of the league. I'm not expecting a suddenly top 5 unit, but with Allen at QB I'll accept top 15.

Man i'm hoping he puts it together, so much talent to work with i really hope health and Kromer can pull it out of him.

22 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I’m not giving up on Spencer Brown, but it seems the Bills have options there, Shell and Doyle. And a dark horse option is Ryan Bates. He’s played it before.

I just don't see Doyle being viable there. He was never really anything more than a JAG before the injury and now he is coming off of a very serious injury. I think he gets put on IR to redshirt the year and try to come back in 2024 to make the roster. Shell and Queese are likely the guys to push Brown on the roster. But I do agree that Bates who should see snaps as the "6th" O-linemen out there but it would be nice to see him get some snaps at RT esp if Brown struggles. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

one could argue.. Kincaid and Knox are BOTH first teamers.

It's more of a "I'm surprised McDermott isn't easing him in or earn that playing time" as we've heard before from him.

As in he's only practicing with 1st team.  Not 2nd and 3rd also.

Edited by The Wiz

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

McGovern and Torrence winning the guard jobs is 100% my expectation. Because they are better players than Ryan Bates. 

Agree. Bates is perfect backup. 

If like to see Snell get a few reps with the 1s.

Hope Elam gets his chance too. He is the best CB#2 on the team. 

24 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I just don't see Doyle being viable there. He was never really anything more than a JAG before the injury and now he is coming off of a very serious injury. I think he gets put on IR to redshirt the year and try to come back in 2024 to make the roster. Shell and Queese are likely the guys to push Brown on the roster. But I do agree that Bates who should see snaps as the "6th" O-linemen out there but it would be nice to see him get some snaps at RT esp if Brown struggles. 

Agree. If they hadn't drafted him he wouldn't even be on the roster right now. Low talent coming off injury. 

Bates has played the 6th OL before if they want to go with a heavy formation. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

It's more of a "I'm surprised McDermott isn't easing him in or earn that playing time" as we've heard before from him.

I never bought that McD "hates rookies" I think he plays players when he thinks they are ready. Torrence and Kincaid were the best players at their position in the draft and filled needs on the roster. So I am not shocked to see them getting mostly first-team snaps. I can't really think of too many rookies that were worthy of snaps that didn't get them under McD. Josh and Edumonds were thrown in pretty quickly as was Tre White. Ed Oliver was among the top 3 snap getters along the D-line in his rookie year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It's hard for me to be to up on anything OL or DL related when they haven't put pads on yet.

And while tempers can flare up time to time the real test is when it's an opponent going against you.  You can learn teammates tendencies plus they aren't trying to crush each other.  The preseason games are gonna be the test I want to see passed. 

Edited by AuntieEm

3 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

And while tempers can flare up time to time the real test is when it's an opponent going against you.  You can learn teammates tendencies plus they aren't trying to crush each other.  The preseason games are gonna be the test I want to see passed. 

You guys can say all of this, but I'm not buying it.  Bates knows the system and o'Cyrus doesn't.  Bates's talent is his quickness and brains, the stuff that shows up without pads.  Torrence's bulk is what gives him an advantage when the pads come on.  So if Torrence already is earning snaps ahead of Bates, in the kind of practices where Bates should have the advantage, I think it means Torrence is impressing. 

The Bills already seem to have decided that Williams isn't ready for the middle, but Torrence hasn't struggled that way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Well seems McD is allowing Dorsey and the offense to do their offensive planning which is as it should be.  And it needs to see what play designs will work well.  Having a bunch of tall playmskers is gonna make things much easier on Allen.  And I love hearing they have run some well executed screenplays.  That alone can send oline efficiency soaring to top 10 - 15 easily. And it keeps our defense on their toes defending those plays better.  Hard to get defense sharp against a play u can't run well by your offense.  

4 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Rousseau had an inside move against Brown to gain a sack yesterday, but I read somewhere it wasn't all Brown's fault, and that generally Brown has shown improvement.  I'm not sure we've heard the end of the Spencer Brown story and the end might be better than most expect.  I don't know that for a fact, but am trying to keep an open mind.

I'm hoping the fact that Briwn took the HR crown from Josh at Micahs charity game.  The fact he was able to swing the bat with the proper velocity on his turning during the swinging process shows the back surgery has healed up to the extent it may allow Brown to use his leverage abilities.  I'm sure he worked on strengthening his core strength once the healing was done. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I've read the camp reports for three days now, and the best news I've heard is that Torrence moved into the right guard slot of Day 2 and survived at least well enough to be there again on Day 3 (and Bates started getting more work behind Morse).  

It wasn't a surprise that McGovern immediately slotted in at left guard, and his arrival almost certainly means the Bills have upgraded the line there.  It's still early, but if Torrence already is showing that he's more capable than Bates on the right, it's really good news for the offensive line.  Two guys who can competently man either side of Morse can mean a big change for Josh in the pocket and for the running backs.   Morse does a good job, but he isn't the stoutest of centers, and having solid guys on either side allows the Bills to take advantage of his strengths rather than having his weakness exploited.

I still have my concerned about Spencer Brown, as do many people, but if right tackle is the biggest problem across the line, I can live with that.  Brown has the potential to be special, but If necessary, Doyle or Quessenbery or someone can be at least serviceable.  

I'm super stoked that the guard position is looking very good with more support around Morse.  But players like Brown & Quessenberry were the reason we almost lost Josh for the season.  The RT issue is far from solidified.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think we brought enough talent at guard, but Tackle still concerns me.

Rousseau seemed to get by Spencer Brown easily in practice and I hope Brandon Shell is given an opportunity to win the RT job.

Funny, I’ve heard Brown has looked solid out there 

51 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm super stoked that the guard position is looking very good with more support around Morse.  But players like Brown & Quessenberry were the reason we almost lost Josh for the season.  The RT issue is far from solidified.

If they can keep the interior from being pushed into Josh's face really not to worried about right side pressure, or to be clear less worried.

Edited by Dan in Owego

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

You guys can say all of this, but I'm not buying it.  Bates knows the system and o'Cyrus doesn't.  Bates's talent is his quickness and brains, the stuff that shows up without pads.  Torrence's bulk is what gives him an advantage when the pads come on.  So if Torrence already is earning snaps ahead of Bates, in the kind of practices where Bates should have the advantage, I think it means Torrence is impressing. 

The Bills already seem to have decided that Williams isn't ready for the middle, but Torrence hasn't struggled that way.

In the Bills perfect world Bates is the ideal back up precisely because of his acumen and flexibility to be a short term solution for all positions, really pulling for Torrence  to be the rare Beane o-line hit🙏👍

48 minutes ago, Dan in Owego said:

If they can keep the interior from being pushed into Josh's face really not to worried about right side pressure, or to be clear less worried.

I agree.  It was the pressure up the middle that was the problem. And standing his ground is the weak part of Morse's game.  He gets pushed back.  If the Bills can hold the middle, Josh can deal with the rush from the right side.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  It was the pressure up the middle that was the problem. And standing his ground is the weak part of Morse's game.  He gets pushed back.  If the Bills can hold the middle, Josh can deal with the rush from the right side.  

Along with the hoped improvement of Brown, he at the very least has the athleticism to force rushers outside allowing Josh to step and to the right where he is deadly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Funny, I’ve heard Brown has looked solid out there 

What’s even funnier, is that I have read the same thing with a bit of photographic evidence added in from a post in one of the TC threads, 

so what’s one to think concerning these contrary view points? 

after the first couple of days in pads in TC  we will all likely have a bit clearer picture, won’t we…, 

till then I will keep my powder dry, as the saying goes,

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

How can you not like Morse? He's smart and has done a decent, if not great job at center. He's probably sightly better than average, but he's no Kent Hull. I can see the Bills looking at signing a top FA center or drafting one early next year. 

I'm optimistic about the o-line and I believe Brown may make some of his detractors eat their words. He's only in year 3 and he was playing catch up after being injured last year. 

1 minute ago, SoMAn said:

How can you not like Morse? He's smart and has done a decent, if not great job at center. He's probably sightly better than average, but he's no Kent Hull. I can see the Bills looking at signing a top FA center or drafting one early next year. 

I'm optimistic about the o-line and I believe Brown may make some of his detractors eat their words. He's only in year 3 and he was playing catch up after being injured last year. 

Where did I say I don't like Morse?   I said standing his ground is the weak part of his game, and from my observation that is correct.  He gets overpowered sometimes, and he isn't a powerful straight-ahead blocker.  He isn't a great center to run a QB sneak behind.  As you said, he's slightly better than average.  He's smart, he gets downfield well on run plays, and he leads the line well.  But last season, when he had two guards beside him who struggled, his lack of power and strength hurt the Bills.  The two guards had trouble in pass protection, and when one had to doublet team a tackle, Morse also had trouble protecting Allen.  If McGovern and Torrence can do better than Saffold and Bates, Morse's weaknesses will be less exposed, and his overall play will improve.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Torrence provided a huge upgrade at UF last yr and unlike many players at UF on the OL and DL that i think have been overvalued in drafts, Torrence was probably right on target with his 1st round grade.   I think if healthy he'll be a pretty solid player if not exceptional and i think that the right side of the OL for Allen is most important to the success of the offense.  If they hold their own this offense will be unstoppable.

So I dont have specific examples, but this is more of my feelings, but it seems there are these OL in the draft who had amazing college careers and by accounts of most fans of football think/say that they will be solid 10 yr players and yet they go late first or second round that by the end of their careers in the "redraft articles" will have that player going in like the top 20. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I hope and think you are right about that being the reason Torrence is earning snaps. By all accounts he is a smart guy and a hard worker.  He followed Napier to UF and UF immediately went from decent to pretty tough, especially running the ball with Torrence in the lineup. It was hard to assess the pass protection sometimes because Richardson was so erratic and lacked any kind of presence or trust in the pocket.  (I’m still confused what teams saw in Richardson beyond promise - bc I saw a guy with talent of Josh Allen physically but lacked that fire to win and seemed to get rattled very easily and meltdown - he had a good game against Utah but was uneven and at times abysmal in his ability to process reads and deliver the ball on time).  

Torrence gave the line an edge and showed up against pro level talent many weeks playing in the SEC, being steady.  The run game was a solid aspect of UF’s offense and Torrence was a big part of it. 

• Like (+1) 3

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I've read the camp reports for three days now, and the best news I've heard is that Torrence moved into the right guard slot of Day 2 and survived at least well enough to be there again on Day 3 (and Bates started getting more work behind Morse).  

It wasn't a surprise that McGovern immediately slotted in at left guard, and his arrival almost certainly means the Bills have upgraded the line there.  It's still early, but if Torrence already is showing that he's more capable than Bates on the right, it's really good news for the offensive line.  Two guys who can competently man either side of Morse can mean a big change for Josh in the pocket and for the running backs.   Morse does a good job, but he isn't the stoutest of centers, and having solid guys on either side allows the Bills to take advantage of his strengths rather than having his weakness exploited.

I still have my concerned about Spencer Brown, as do many people, but if right tackle is the biggest problem across the line, I can live with that.  Brown has the potential to be special, but If necessary, Doyle or Quessenbery or someone can be at least serviceable.  

Wishful thinking here at its best. We don't know how Torrance will play come real time. McGovern has his weaknesses. Spencer Brown is a concern. This oline is a work in progress. Who knows how good or bad they will be. I think it's safe to say they are not an elite line. Doubt anyone has them ranked in the top 10. This oline has to play well or it's likely an early playoff loss once again. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Success said:

We're good at guard, Morse & Dawkins are solid.  As just about everyone has stated - Brown is key to this line.

And the potential is there.  Really, if he can make a leap - we could have a top 10 or even top 5 line. What a difference that would be.

I don't see this oline being ranked this high. At this point, I'd be happy with a top 15 oline. That would be progress. 

9 hours ago, CSBill said:

Do you see five excellent starters on the oline? 

Do you think this is a top 10 oline? 

Do you think the oline is more likely to be a strength or weakness of the team. 

Do you think will be an oline that can lead the Bills to a SB? 

I'm encouraged by the likely upgrades and additions. On paper, they look to be much better than last year. Will it be good enough? 

• Agree 1

if Torrence and Kincaid are home runs (I would bet my home on the latter) then it would be great to see a McBeane Draft with a couple of elite players at the top. Would help make a lot of us forget about Epenesa, Basham and possibly Bernard (if he doesn't win the starting MLB spot).

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Augie said:

I think the fact that he played an entire season last year without a single penalty tells us something impressive about him “from the neck up”.

That, and he gave up ZERO sacks in 46 college games. I would be best to temper my expectations, but this is pretty exciting. A long way to go, but things look good so far! 

Yeah, but those flat feet… I dunno..😉

Maybe Dorsey can really step up his game and create scramble situations with Josh where he’ll go sideline to sideline scrambling and Torrence just waits there in one place and lines up unsuspecting DL to kill them chasing Josh🤔 I agree with @Rubes and others that we wait til pads are on, but when your OG moniker is the only AFL ONLY Player in the HOF, you listen.

’nother observation, the very creative play on day 2 where Knox -in double TE in-close formation, has him shift to the backfield and TAKE A HANDOFF is possible with a monster Guard planted there to open a hole. Juss sayin’

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think we brought enough talent at guard, but Tackle still concerns me.

Rousseau seemed to get by Spencer Brown easily in practice and I hope Brandon Shell is given an opportunity to win the RT job.

Maybe this can be a chain reaction that leads to Bates going out there? I have thought all along Brown should have been inside anyway but..

9 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Where did I say I don't like Morse?   I said standing his ground is the weak part of his game, and from my observation that is correct.  He gets overpowered sometimes, and he isn't a powerful straight-ahead blocker.  He isn't a great center to run a QB sneak behind.  As you said, he's slightly better than average.  He's smart, he gets downfield well on run plays, and he leads the line well.  But last season, when he had two guards beside him who struggled, his lack of power and strength hurt the Bills.  The two guards had trouble in pass protection, and when one had to doublet team a tackle, Morse also had trouble protecting Allen.  If McGovern and Torrence can do better than Saffold and Bates, Morse's weaknesses will be less exposed, and his overall play will improve.

Oh! 😄  I see how you interpreted that first line.  Mea Culpa. It wasn't stated clearly.

No, I meant it as a rhetorical question, as in 'how can you (everybody) not like Mitch Morse'?   i.e. who doesn't like Mitch?

Lost in the translation. I never meant for it to sound like I thought you didn't like him.  

Just now, SoMAn said:

Oh! 😄  I see how you interpreted that first line.  Mea Culpa. It wasn't stated clearly.

No, I meant it as a rhetorical question, as in 'how can you (everybody) not like Mitch Morse'?   i.e. who doesn't like Mitch?

Lost in the translation. I never meant for it to sound like I thought you didn't like him.  

That's funny.  Thanks.  I do the same thing with "you" all the time.   

I like Morse.  I like him because I think the Bills like him for his leadership.  I think he takes charge of the line the way he's supposed to, makes the calls, keeps everything in order.   Frankly, I think that's why they like Bates, too.  

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Wishful thinking here at its best. We don't know how Torrance will play come real time. McGovern has his weaknesses. Spencer Brown is a concern. This oline is a work in progress. Who knows how good or bad they will be. I think it's safe to say they are not an elite line. Doubt anyone has them ranked in the top 10. This oline has to play well or it's likely an early playoff loss once again. 

There's no wishful thinking in my post.   I didn't declare the offensive line top 10 or anything like that.  I just said that the reps Torrence is getting suggest he's already winning his battle, and that's a good thing, because that's where the Bills most needed help.  And McGovern, whom I didn't call an all-pro or anything.  I just suggested that what we've seen so far suggests that the Bills will have better starting guards.  I said Brown is a concern, so I wasn't doing any wishful thinking there either.   

I don't get it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

There's no wishful thinking in my post.   I didn't declare the offensive line top 10 or anything like that.  I just said that the reps Torrence is getting suggest he's already winning his battle, and that's a good thing, because that's where the Bills most needed help.  And McGovern, whom I didn't call an all-pro or anything.  I just suggested that what we've seen so far suggests that the Bills will have better starting guards.  I said Brown is a concern, so I wasn't doing any wishful thinking there either.   

I don't get it. 

I think your assessment of Torrance and McGovern are way too premature. I really am not drawing any kind of conclusion on what we've seen thus far. No pads and likely be just a feeling out and get comfortable situation. Way to soon to make anything out of the little we've seen. Seems likek drinking the cool aid a little to me. Thus, I read your post as wishful thinking. Maybe I'm wrong here.

But I get it most want to draw and make positive conclusions. Keep the positivity and optimism flowing. Probably a better and more funny I view things. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I think your assessment of Torrance and McGovern are way too premature. I really am not drawing any kind of conclusion on what we've seen this far. No pads and likely be just a feeling out and get comfortable situation. Way to soon to make anything out of the little we've seen. Seems look drinking the cool aid a little to me. Thus, I read your post as wishful thinking. 

But I get it most want to draw and make positive conclusions. Keep the positivity and optimism flowing. Probably a better and more funny I view things. 

A turnstile would be better than Saffold at LG. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Do you see five excellent starters on the oline? 

Do you think this is a top 10 oline? 

Do you think the oline is more likely to be a strength or weakness of the team. 

Do you think will be an oline that can lead the Bills to a SB? 

I'm encouraged by the likely upgrades and additions. On paper, they look to be much better than last year. Will it be good enough? 

All we can do is wait and see how it works, but I'm encouraged.  As we've been saying, repeating, in this thread, the two guards look like they're upgrades, and it's hard to know what the Bills will get out of Brown.   But there's some reason to be optimistic.

McDermott loves his jackknife guys.  There are a whole bunch of them on the team.  The result is that players are a lot of positions don't look like the best in the league, but they're versatile.  Versatile is how they want their offensive line to be, apparently.   Not the best pass protectors, but better than average.  Not the best power run blockers, but better than average.  Not the best downfield blockers, but better than average.   The Bills seem to hope that they can pull together winning performances from dedicated athletes who can different things as needed.

Torrence clearly does not fit that mold and frankly, I'm encouraged by that.  I don't care that he maybe can't get out on screen passes like Bates can.   My priorities at that spot are (1) can you stop the pass rush, and (2) can you win straight ahead.   He looks like a guy who can do that, and if so, I'll be happy.  

To paraphrase what others have said, in terms of pass protection, if you're going to have a weakness, right tackle is the place to have it, because the QB sees the rush coming from there, and because Josh has shown extraordinary ability to avoid the rush from there.   So, if Brown is weak in pass pro, that's not so bad if Torrence can control his man, because Josh can handle the lone rusher from the right.  

Having said all that, I also must add that I've never been a huge Dawkins fan.  

All in all, offensive line was the concern when the season ended, they've done some things to address it, early reports are positive, and we'll see what happens.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't get it. 

I'm with you on this. Now the 3rd straight practice Torrence is in with the 1s. That suggests not only is he being given an opportunity, he's ahead. Reps now go a long way to get a feeling for those around you. And this is what the Bills need at RG. Continuity. If Bates starts there is a huge shuffle inside of Morse gets knocked out to move Bates to cover C and it hurts the entire make up of the OL.

Then looking at LG, even with McGovern not being the best run blocker if he just gets in the path of a defender he's already doing better than what we had last year. I don't understand why some refuse to see that.

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think your assessment of Torrance and McGovern are way too premature.

Pardon me, but you're doing what a lot of us do here, which is to read things into posts that weren't there.  

I didn't "assess" Torrence at all.   I just said that I'm happy that he already seems to have moved into the starting slot at RG, which is true.  I said that's a good thing, because it means he's on top of the mental aspects of the game - he wouldn't be there if he wasn't able to handle what they were asking him to do. Elam didn't get slotted like that last season, and Cook didn't, either.   McDermott moves guys up only when they've shown they can handle what he's being asked to do.  Torrence isn't being asked yet to knock people on their butts, but he is being asked to know and execute his assignments, pick his man, pick up the calls at the line of scrimmage, and if he didn't do all that correctly in OTAs and practice, he wouldn't be playing ahead of Bates.   In other words, he's done everything they've asked him to do better than Bates does it.   That's a good sign, and because it's been a position of weakness for the Bills, that was an encouraging thing to come out of training camp. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm with you on this. Now the 3rd straight practice Torrence is in with the 1s. That suggests not only is he being given an opportunity, he's ahead. Reps now go a long way to get a feeling for those around you. And this is what the Bills need at RG. Continuity. If Bates starts there is a huge shuffle inside of Morse gets knocked out to move Bates to cover C and it hurts the entire make up of the OL.

Then looking at LG, even with McGovern not being the best run blocker if he just gets in the path of a defender he's already doing better than what we had last year. I don't understand why some refuse to see that.

I hadn't seen the reports about today.  Yeah, you and others get it.   

Obviously, no one knows how good these guys will be, but we can be pleased about developments so far.  This is one.

We also can be unhappy about others.   For me, I'm disappointed Elam hasn't taken charge at CB2.  I'd hoped that he would.   By the end of the season, the Bills were ready to anoint Cook over Motor, and I was hoping the same would happen with Kair.  Hasn't happened. 

• Like (+1) 4

26 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think your assessment of Torrance and McGovern are way too premature. I really am not drawing any kind of conclusion on what we've seen thus far. No pads and likely be just a feeling out and get comfortable situation. Way to soon to make anything out of the little we've seen. Seems likek drinking the cool aid a little to me. Thus, I read your post as wishful thinking. Maybe I'm wrong here.

If you made a post, this is a given.  Lose the maybe and you’ve made significant progress 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.