Is Gabe Davis a trade candidate?

No chance in hell the Bills trade Davis. He is our #2. Full stop. It's moronic to say the least for people to even think this. We now have added depth in Harty, Sherf and especially Kincaid. Diggs and Davis are staples for The Bills. Davis get's extended, no doubt, very very soon.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I think they are sure and will try to lock him up but Gabe knows if he gets 110 targets and say 75 catches and 1200 yards, he’s going to get a ridiculous UFA offer.  Like top 5 WR money.   

I'm not sure Davis ever could be a 75-catch, 1200 yard guy.  I'd like to think he'd become Mike Evans, but I seriously doubt that's happening.   Kincaid is the guy who could become that guy.  That's why he went in the first round and Davis went in the fourth.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Been saying this for months - if you believe he can be WR 1 on a top SB contender if Diggs goes down then he should be extended before he gets stupid UFA money from some bottom feeder with huge cap space.  

If you aren’t sure then what are we doing here?  

I think they are sure and will try to lock him up but Gabe knows if he gets 110 targets and say 75 catches and 1200 yards, he’s going to get a ridiculous UFA offer.  Like top 5 WR money.   

Yea.. if we don’t lock him up before the season, it just feels like Tremaine all over again. 

Not the worst thing in the world to get a comp pick, but it just becomes a situation where he stays healthy and maybe blows up, then we can’t afford him or he doesn’t, in which case we likely let him walk and potentially look at WR early in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yea.. if we don’t lock him up before the season, it just feels like Tremaine all over again. 

Not the worst thing in the world to get a comp pick, but it just becomes a situation where he stays healthy and maybe blows up, then we can’t afford him or he doesn’t, in which case we likely let him walk and potentially look at WR early in the draft. 

But there's a reason they didn't pay Tremaine, and it's the reason they won't pay Davis:   You can't pay everyone.   You have to earn your way to being a long-term keeper on a good team, and you earn it by being more than just above average at your position.   Taron Johnson earned it,   Milano earned it.   Davis is just a nice player, as was Edmunds.   Edmunds wasn't worth it to the Bills to pay him what Chicago did, and Davis probably won't be worth it, either. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

But there's a reason they didn't pay Tremaine, and it's the reason they won't pay Davis:   You can't pay everyone.   You have to earn you way to being a long-term keeper on a good team, and you earn by being more than just above average at your position.   Taron Johnson earned it,   Milano earned it.   Davis is just a nice player, as was Edmunds.   Edmunds wasn't worth it to the Bills to pay him what Chicago did, and Davis probably won't be worth it, either. 

I think you can pay Davis, if he’s willing to be paid something that makes sense for us.  

Can never have enough quality playmakers. 

But if he wants high WR2 money .. yea, have to let him walk. 

Tremaine, I wanted no part in paying him even a team friendly contract.  Investing in him, in any way, meant the defense had to play a certain way … and I think taking a step back in talent at that position, for a different skill set/play style on D… may be a net positive. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think you can pay Davis, if he’s willing to be paid something that makes sense for us.  

Can never have enough quality playmakers. 

But if he wants high WR2 money .. yea, have to let him walk. 

Tremaine, I wanted no part in paying him even a team friendly contract.  Investing in him, in any way, meant the defense had to play a certain way … and I think taking a step back in talent at that position, for a different skill set/play style on D… may be a net positive. 

Absolutely right about Tremaine, and it's a good point.  His special skills dictated the style of play to some extent. 

But it's also true about Davis.   One thing that's true about the NFL is that it's constantly adjusting, and the NFL is adjusting to Davis.  If you have Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison, you don't have to worry about the league adjusting, but Davis isn't one of those guys.  He's just an ordinary #2 with a particular skill set, and the league is figuring out how to deal with that skill set.  Better to move on to a different skill set, just like the Bills have done at middle linebacker.

At the end of the day, it's just a different way of saying the guy isn't good enough.   You extend Tre White, because even though the league knows by now what he does will, he still is valuable.  Same with Milano.   Couldn't say the same thing about Edmunds, and I don't think we can say it about Davis.   The only #2 worth extending is a guy who is a true #1 (like Reggie Wayne), and Davis isn't that. 

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

It's on him to improve. If he catches roughly 1 more pass per game on the same number of targets, he'll have a huge leap statistically and be over 65%. 

10 more catches on 98 targets is a lot bigger ask for him than you think.   He was credited with 9 drops........a massive number.......which should put that in perspective.  He's not going to become DeAndre Hopkins dropping 1% of his passes over night.   And as @GunnerBill said,  he's not same kind of the player those guys you mentioned are.   Much more diverse talents.

The more realistic option to get more efficiency from Gabe was/is to get those targets down by 50% to around 65 and just accept him for what he is.........a HR threat and guy who can over-match nickel and dime CB's down the field........and then maybe get him extended at a number that reflects that like the Chiefs did with MVS.

If you continue giving him 6-7 of your targets a game then it makes sense for teams to keep putting a CB1 on him and doubling Diggs.    That's no bueno.    It could also double-backfire on you by giving him bigger bulk stats than he should have.......which can be used against you in extension negotiations.

Give those extra targets to Kincaid(hopefully) and get Knox more involved.   That would help get Gabe more favorable matches and get him open more often.    

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

No

I now no how to get giphy back on your phone. Likely the phone itself with its build in keyboard went out of date to what giphy wants.

Change your keyboard software to Gboard, SwiftKey Keyboard or Fleksy Keyboard.

All 3 of those are by far the best keyboard apps for your phone and all with bult in giphy

18 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I now no how to get giphy back on your phone. Likely the phone itself with its build in keyboard went out of date to what giphy wants.

Change your keyboard software to Gboard, SwiftKey Keyboard or Fleksy Keyboard.

All 3 of those are by far the best keyboard apps for your phone and all with bult in giphy

Thanks for the info.  

Installed and tried all 3.  All 3 ask me to copy and paste.  When I paste to tbd it says file size too large.  Maybe I’m doing something wrong

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thanks for the info.  

Installed and tried all 3.  All 3 ask me to copy and paste.  When I paste to tbd it says file size too large.  Maybe I’m doing something wrong

I'm not technical at all. I know I've had trouble with file size limitations. There are some apps that resize gifs for free, but I haven't tried them because I never care enough to bother. 

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thanks for the info.  

oh! you did not tell me that was happening!

get 

chomp

Also.. try and update your phone. 

Edited by PrimeTime101

Unless the staff LOVES Sherfield and we are offered a 2nd for Davis (and I'm not saying both options are likely to happen concurrently), hold onto Davis on his cheap last year, let him fly in FA, and get a 3rd when he signs a big contract with someone else.

He will still result in draft capital down the road.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No the perfect WR2 for a SB contender IS a guy capable of being a WR1 on some teams.   The standard is high for SB contenders because the quality of a teams second WR option has been huge with regard to reaching and/or winning the SB the last 6 years.   That's a significant trend.

Gabe is definitely not that kinda guy.   He's even a long way from JuJu Smith Schuster......who was a 70% catch rate and top 25 yardage WR  last season.  

Gabe is a very good WR3 for a SB contender with a QB with elite arm talent.   He and Marquez Valdes-Scantling are practically the same guy.   Horrible 50% catch rates......very high ypr......but limited route tree.   Really need a QB with elite arm strength (to find him on spots of the field where most QB's can't reach) to basically make the field bigger for them so they can get open.

Depends on the Offense we are running. I agree with how you perceive Gabe . Last season was rough. 

But the Two + TE threat and a few decent slot receivers, and an honest running game and the development / growth of OC might be a SB worthy Team !

Even with a Gabe Davis :)

11 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Depends on the Offense we are running. I agree with how you perceive Gabe . Last season was rough. 

But the Two + TE threat and a few decent slot receivers, and an honest running game and the development / growth of OC might be a SB worthy Team !

Even with a Gabe Davis :)

Gabe Davis isn't holding the team back on offense.........not having a better #2 option is.   Gabe as the 3rd or 4th option in the passing game would be excellent.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not technical at all. I know I've had trouble with file size limitations. There are some apps that resize gifs for free, but I haven't tried them because I never care enough to bother. 

Thanks-  yeah I won’t be resizing any gifs or pics. Quick and easy is the way

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

No chance in hell the Bills trade Davis. He is our #2. Full stop. It's moronic to say the least for people to even think this. We now have added depth in Harty, Sherf and especially Kincaid. Diggs and Davis are staples for The Bills. Davis get's extended, no doubt, very very soon.

I just don’t see it happening either, the Bills need all the firepower they can around Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the problem with @Buffalo_Stampede quote is that Gabe Davis is clearly not the "perfect" WR2.   He's certainly not the ideal and at this point everyone should know that.  I can only assume he was just careless with his words because he takes offense to the deserved criticism.

There is nothing "perfect" about being second in the league in total drops and 185th in catch % when you are getting close to 100 targets.   Too much inefficiency.   That inconsistency from Davis.........combined with that of lesser ball droppers like McKenzie/Shakir/Knox playing one slot ahead of where they should in the pecking order........helped allow teams to roll extra attention to Diggs in the second half of last season,  which made the offense look chaotic at times.   Far from ideal.

The Bills haven't really had a top 10 WR2 since early in the 2020 season before John Brown got hurt.   The Bills passing game looked considerably different then.   Far too much off-script offense in the mix now.  Even just the threat of a screen to the otherwise-bomb-threat Smoke(which produced a handful of huge, game changing plays) had an impact that the offense has lacked ever since.   An ideal WR2 is either great at one thing or able to beat you in numerous ways and be both high production and efficient.  Like a WR1.   This is the way the league is now and there has been an influx of WR talent in the last 5 years like we've never seen before so it's not far fetched to have 2 WR1's.   

I’ll take a slightly different perspective with a similar theme…. It’s not unreasonable to have a 1A and 1B with all the WR talent in the league, but it’s not needed. However, if you don’t have a 1A and 1B you absolutely need three viable targets that can make game changing or drive changing plays in the passing game. Whether that’s 1A paired with two solid 2 WRs or a more “traditional” 1A, 2A, and a top 10 TE. With all the new talent at the WR position procuring two guys who are solid WR2 talents at differing stages of their careers should be attainable if it’s prioritized. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I never cease to be amazed by the undue appreciation that some fans just bestow upon the new crop of JAG's and camp fodder.

Gabe isn't an ideal WR2 for a contender but he's a starter in the NFL.........those guys range from WR4(Sharty in the rare event when healthy) all the way to unplayable.

If Gabe isn't an ideal #2 I would assume you would be against resigning him, right? His new contract is likely going to pay him at least like a high-tier #2 WR in the NFL, if not a low-tier #1.

Is the rest of our WR corps really a bunch of JAGs? Is Gabe really that much better an option as WR than Sherfield/Harty/Shakir? And if he is, is one year of Gabe (since I assume you're against the lucrative extension) better than potentially getting more draft capital for next year's draft to trade up and get what (one would hope & assume) would be an upgrade on Gabe at #2 WR in the 1st round at a cost-controlled price from 2024-2028?

2 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I have been saying for a while now that it will be idiomatic not to sign Davis long term. He is going to have a great year and I think they already missed the boat on the extension plan.

We have no clue what kind of year he's going to have and Beane didn't miss the boat on an extension.  They extended Knox, Dawkins, T. White, and Allen between the start of August and the regular season.

I'd be more comfortable with a two or three year extension at about 10 to 12 million per year.  That's where I see his value and it does nothing to prevent us from drafting a potential elite WR in the first round within the next year or two to eventually replace Diggs.  If he wants more than that or wants to bet on himself so be it.  

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Dopey said:

You’ve LITERALLY NEVER seen him block or catch a 50-50 pass?!?!

Come on now. I call BS on the “literally never “ comment. 

You said he's put up 50 catches, 900 yards, and 8 touchdowns.  He's never done that in his career.

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The drops are an issue but keep in mind his average depth of target has always been near the top of the league.  I'd be interested to see for the advanced analytic nerds if there's some adjusted formula that correlates drop rate to average depth of target.

Joe Marino covered this in one of his Locked On Bills podcasts this week and went all the way back to Gabe's college days.

That issue of relatively low catch rate is still prevalent in the short to intermediate range as well. 

45 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If Gabe isn't an ideal #2 I would assume you would be against resigning him, right? His new contract is likely going to pay him at least like a high-tier #2 WR in the NFL, if not a low-tier #1.

Is the rest of our WR corps really a bunch of JAGs? Is Gabe really that much better an option as WR than Sherfield/Harty/Shakir? And if he is, is one year of Gabe (since I assume you're against the lucrative extension) better than potentially getting more draft capital for next year's draft to trade up and get what (one would hope & assume) would be an upgrade on Gabe at #2 WR in the 1st round at a cost-controlled price from 2024-2028?

So the obvious problem here though is you are giving up a weapon this year to hopefully have a shot at getting someone next year. Giving up a weapon from Josh’s prime years 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been trying to make this point since last seasons started. A year ago people were saying:

"Gabe Davis is our #1B we basically have two wide receiver 1s"

I said - no he's not - he's a #2.

This year people are saying:

"Gabe Davis isn't good enough to be a WR2 he should be WR3 or WR4." 

And again I say - not true, he is a WR2. 

People take these wild and slightly mad positions rather than looking at the evidence and taking a sound position. 

As for the idea of trading him, which has now come up twice in a week. He is going tl get paid. Possibly by the Bills or most likely by someone else in FA next spring. Which would net the Bills possibly a 3rd but certainly a 4th round comp pick. So sure you could trade him for that now and bring that pick forward from the 2025 Draft to the 2024 Draft but you have willingly made a team in a Superbowl window weaker to do that. It makes no sense.

The comp pick thing is a valid point, but a lot of other factors would come into play with that, including how many FAs we sign/lose. You're presenting this as though if we let him sign with another team we'll automatically be given a 3rd or 4th round comp pick.

We're still in wait and see mode regarding the 3rd round comp pick we'll supposedly get for Edmunds.

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The comp pick thing is a valid point, but a lot of other factors would come into play with that, including how many FAs we sign/lose. You're presenting this as though if we let him sign with another team we'll automatically be given a 3rd or 4th round comp pick.

We're still in wait and see mode regarding the 3rd round comp pick we'll supposedly get for Edmunds.

We are not in wait and see on Edmunds. We will get a 3rd. The formula ain't that complicated. 

Of course the Bills could sige free agents to cancel the pick for Davis out. But if they do that is their own stupidity.

Why are we doing this? The Bills have the 2nd best odds to win the Super Bowl. They’re not trading their number 2 WR in training camp 😂😂. This is the dumb 💩that had me taking a long break from this place. It went from a brilliant community talking Bills football to threads like this 😂😂. Let’s just be better; it isn’t a high bar.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Comp pick and also he is cheap …on $2m or so … 

Very little chance they trade him for a pick next year when they are trying to win a SB this year 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

It’s not unreasonable to have a 1A and 1B with all the WR talent in the league, but it’s not needed. However, if you don’t have a 1A and 1B you absolutely need three viable targets that can make game changing or drive changing plays in the passing game. Whether that’s 1A paired with two solid 2 WRs or a more “traditional” 1A, 2A, and a top 10 TE. With all the new talent at the WR position procuring two guys who are solid WR2 talents at differing stages of their careers should be attainable if it’s prioritized. 

You might think that.    But your opinion is not supported in recent history.   

Chiefs (Juju...25th in NFL in receiving yards and very high catch rate....and Kelce)  vs Eagles (AJ Brown and Devonta Smith)

Rams (Kupp and Beckham) vs Bengals (Chase and Higgins)

Bucs (Evans and Godwin)  vs Chiefs (Hill and Kelce)

Chiefs(Hill and Kelce)  vs Niners (Kittle and Samuel)

Patriots (Edelman and Gronk) vs (Woods and Cooks)

Eagles (exception) vs Patriots (Gronk and Cooks)

Basically you gotta' go back 6 seasons to find one team that was the exception to having two WR1 talents and still reaching the Super Bowl.   It's become a necessity.   So the plan for the Bills has to be to develop that other guy(Kincaid hopefully) or be that increasingly rare exception.

Because there isn't a world where Gabe Davis is a comp to any of those players listed.    Only an illogical homer would imply that he is.   And to your alternative scenario.......some of those teams ALSO had an abundance of other good receivers as well......like the 2018 Patriots who first option kinda' studs but had 5 players over 700 yards receiving.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

So the obvious problem here though is you are giving up a weapon this year to hopefully have a shot at getting someone next year. Giving up a weapon from Josh’s prime years 

Agreed.  

I have mixed feelings on Gabe, and this year is certainly a “show me” year for him… but, trading him away, unless someone is offering a 1st makes no sense. 

Even then.. who’s playing opposite Diggs?… Just a constant rotation of slot guys with outside ability?  

Going to need to see a big camp from Kincaid and someone like Shorter to make trading Davis be anything but nonsensical. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So if Gabe isn't an ideal #2 you'd be willing to field a considerably worse receiving corps this season?   When you are a SB contender you don't trade a season for a second round picks.    

And yes..........the rest of our WR corps are really a bunch of JAGs.   Shakir, Sharty and Sherfield have combined for 1798 career receiving yards in a combined 10 NFL seasons.  180 yards per season is a JAG number.   Shorter wasn't even exceptional in college.  In 5 years he averaged 310 yards per season and never topped 600. :doh:

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You might think that.    But your opinion is not supported in recent history.   

Chiefs (Juju...25th in NFL in receiving yards and very high catch rate....and Kelce)  vs Eagles (AJ Brown and Devonta Smith)

Rams (Kupp and Beckham) vs Bengals (Chase and Higgins)

Bucs (Evans and Godwin)  vs Chiefs (Hill and Kelce)

Chiefs(Hill and Kelce)  vs Niners (Kittle and Samuel)

Patriots (Edelman and Gronk) vs (Woods and Cooks)

Eagles (exception) vs Patriots (Gronk and Cooks)

Basically you gotta' go back 6 seasons to find one team that was the exception to having two WR1 talents and still reaching the Super Bowl.   It's become a necessity.   So the plan for the Bills has to be to develop that other guy(Kincaid hopefully) or be that increasingly rare exception.

Because there isn't a world where Gabe Davis is a comp to any of those players listed.    Only an illogical homer would imply that he is.   And to your alternative scenario.......some of those teams ALSO had an abundance of other good receivers as well......like the 2018 Patriots who first option kinda' studs but had 5 players over 700 yards receiving.

Half of the players you listed are not outside WRs or even WRs at all. You don't even understand what Davis' role on the team is. Correct he is not Hill or Gronk or Kelce or Kittle. He is an outside WR. He is not the second option and he never will be. This offense you want him to be your 4th option after Diggs, slot, and Knox.  Davis is your chunk yardage guy not your high volume reception guy.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Half of the players you listed are not outside WRs or even WRs at all. You don't even understand what Davis' role on the team is. Correct he is not Hill or Gronk or Kelce or Kittle. He is an outside WR. He is not the second option and he never will be. This offense you want him to be your 4th option after Diggs, slot, and Knox.  Davis is your chunk yardage guy not your high volume reception guy.  

I just want him to catch the freaking ball when it comes his way…

Could have put my foot through the TV last seconds of that Jets loss

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

10 more catches on 98 targets is a lot bigger ask for him than you think.   He was credited with 9 drops........a massive number.......which should put that in perspective.  He's not going to become DeAndre Hopkins dropping 1% of his passes over night.   And as @GunnerBill said,  he's not same kind of the player those guys you mentioned are.   Much more diverse talents.

The more realistic option to get more efficiency from Gabe was/is to get those targets down by 50% to around 65 and just accept him for what he is.........a HR threat and guy who can over-match nickel and dime CB's down the field........and then maybe get him extended at a number that reflects that like the Chiefs did with MVS.

If you continue giving him 6-7 of your targets a game then it makes sense for teams to keep putting a CB1 on him and doubling Diggs.    That's no bueno.    It could also double-backfire on you by giving him bigger bulk stats than he should have.......which can be used against you in extension negotiations.

Give those extra targets to Kincaid(hopefully) and get Knox more involved.   That would help get Gabe more favorable matches and get him open more often.    

Sure, except we don't have the guy to take on his workload this season

I was hoping Beane would take a wr early over the few years to have a potential #1 in the making.  

Maybe long term that can be Kincaid, but we will all be amazed if that happens his rookie year. 

This season Gabe is going to be #2 in targets most likely. And I'd like to see him make a jump in his catch %.

Maybe Knox sees 90+ targets and Gabe drops down to the 65 range? Knox's catch % jumped big time in year 3 from the low 50's his first 2 years. Maybe he's owned more targets? 

I also think using the TE more in the passing game could unlock Davis a bit as well. Since they kept Knox in to block a bunch. If Knox and Kincaid combine to wreak some havoc, team's may not be able to employ the stradegy as much of putting the #1 cb on Davis and doubling Diggs with a S and the #2 cb.

If this offense can make the safeties respect he TE more, they may have to revert to putting their #1 on Diggs more often which might let Davis work against less talented coverage.

All that he he still may be 50% catch rate next year. But I don't see a clear way to reduce his role to #3 yet.  

Edited by Motorin'
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.