NFL Top 100: Buffalo Bills

KingBoots8

There’s a racial component to this imo with Hurts ahead of Burrow and Allen.  Voted by the players who are predominantly black.  Especially considering the history of how society viewed black qb’s that’s changed for the better the last twenty years or so.

6 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Normally hill ahead of Allen aure

but not last year…I don’t feel Jalen hurts should have been that high either - I don’t think his competition was all that fantastic but hey 

didn’t two other teams in his division make the playoffs? 

• Agree 1

Look I agree with @MJS and other that Hurts is ranked on this thing too high after only 1 very good season, but I’m just a little mystified by so many here that seem committed to giving this guy little to no credit for his and his team’s success. Sounds like a hater parade to me.

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

LaDainian Tomlinson's Top 10 entering 2023 looks more reasonable than the NFL top 100 rankings(Though Allen should be #2).

Chris Jones is too high on both lists, as is Hurts. Kelce is a top 5 player in the NFL, in my opinion, and he has a case for being the best TE of all time.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Look I agree with @MJS and other that Hurts is ranked on this thing too high after only 1 very good season, but I’m just a little mystified by so many here that seem committed to giving this guy little to no credit for his and his team’s success. Sounds like a hater parade to me.

He had a good season, no doubt. He threw for fewer than 4000 yards and only for 22 TD's. Those are not elite passing stats. He was certainly an elite running QB, though, adding 700 yards and 13 rushing TD's.

People are always going to view passing stats as more important than rushing stats for QB's. Just how it is. And it was one year, so he has to show that he can consistently be that guy before anyone is going to crown him with elite QB status.

Also, let's be honest. Who does he have to compete against in the NFC? There are no elite QB's to go through over there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

He had a good season, no doubt. He threw for fewer than 4000 yards and only for 22 TD's. Those are not elite passing stats. He was certainly an elite running QB, though, adding 700 yards and 13 rushing TD's.

People are always going to view passing stats as more important than rushing stats for QB's. Just how it is. And it was one year, so he has to show that he can consistently be that guy before anyone is going to crown him with elite QB status.

Also, let's be honest. Who does he have to compete against in the NFC? There are no elite QB's to go through over there.

He also boosted his comp% 5 points, had 6 ints on 460 attempts, rating over 100, etc…My point is he improved a lot over 2021 and people shouldn’t discard it. 

And yeah it’s a QB desert over there in the NFC right now but I can’t really ding him for that fortunate circumstance. He’s gotta go through the other teams’ defenses, not their QBs.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

He also boosted his comp% 5 points, had 6 ints on 460 attempts, rating over 100, etc…My point is he improved a lot over 2021 and people shouldn’t discard it. 

And yeah it’s a QB desert over there in the NFC right now but I can’t really ding him for that fortunate circumstance. He’s gotta go through the other teams’ defenses, not their QBs.

So just go off the gut test. In your gut do you think Hurts is the 3rd best player in the league? He did improve, sure, not arguing that, but he didn’t improve to 3rd best in the league. If he played in the AFC, he wouldn’t even be in the top 3QBs in the AFC 

16 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Here's the video. The Patriot guy cracked me up. He wanted no part of watching an Allen highlight lol.

He is such a monster. He must be such a nightmare to game plan against.

9 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Oh, he certainly improved a ton and he turned out way better than I thought he would. The sky is the limit for him. But I just don't see him as a top 10 player in the NFL yet.

Maybe I'll feel differently next year if he does it again and shows even more improvement in the passing game. He needs to pass for more than 22 TD's, though, to be considered up there with Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, etc.

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So just go off the gut test. In your gut do you think Hurts is the 3rd best player in the league? He did improve, sure, not arguing that, but he didn’t improve to 3rd best in the league. If he played in the AFC, he wouldn’t even be in the top 3QBs in the AFC 

I’ve already said I do not. I think he deserves to be in the top 15, top dozen maybe. He’s only put up 1 year of solid work. He could regress. He could get even better. Who knows?

But as far as this NFC/AFC thing, again, Hurts isn’t playing head-to-head against other QBs when he’s on the field, so I don’t know how that fact really affects his standing. He’s not as good as Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, maybe Herbert who knows. But those guys being in the other conference don’t affect his level of play (on an individual level) in any direct way. I’m not talking about wins/losses nor did I ever bring them up before. W/L is a team stat, not a QB metric.

Hurts goes directly up against monsters like Micah Parsons twice a year, who apparently is so driven to be the best LB of all time he’s drilling his QBs in training camp. He’s facing Nick Bosa maybe in the playoffs (also on that list.)

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I’ve already said I do not. I think he deserves to be in the top 15, top dozen maybe. He’s only put up 1 year of solid work. He could regress. He could get even better. Who knows?

But as far as this NFC/AFC thing, again, Hurts isn’t playing head-to-head against other QBs when he’s on the field, so I don’t know how that fact really affects his standing. He’s not as good as Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, maybe Herbert who knows. But those guys being in the other conference don’t affect his level of play (on an individual level) in any direct way. I’m not talking about wins/losses nor did I ever bring them up before. W/L is a team stat, not a QB metric.

Hurts goes directly up against monsters like Micah Parsons twice a year, who apparently is so driven to be the best LB of all time he’s drilling his QBs in training camp. He’s facing Nick Bosa maybe in the playoffs (also on that list.)

QB's don't play directly against each other, but you certainly have to match the opposing offense, and that is much easier to do when you don't have an elite QB over there putting their team on their back and willing them to victory.

Allen and Mahomes weren't playing against each other on the field in the playoffs two years ago, but they certainly had to match what the other was doing to keep themselves in that game. Elite QB's have the ability to neutralize even the best of defenses, sometimes.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

QB's don't play directly against each other, but you certainly have to match the opposing offense, and that is much easier to do when you don't have an elite QB over there putting their team on their back and willing them to victory.

Allen and Mahomes weren't playing against each other on the field in the playoffs two years ago, but they certainly had to match what the other was doing to keep themselves in that game. Elite QB's have the ability to neutralize even the best of defenses, sometimes.

Sure I can agree with that and the BUFF/KC example you gave. I really don’t think that’s indicative of QB matchups in the AFC or NFC week in week out though. I mean, the Bills in the AFC have played their fair share of humps at QB the last two years as well. Even in the playoffs (Skylar, which they were fairly close with most of that game.)

Ah yes it's that time of year again. Media and analysts Purposely triggering the most fiery fan base to get trending in social media. And bills fans fall for it every year. Nick Wright is making a career out of hating on josh allen because angry bills fans get him trending. I would be willing to bet if josh won the sb they still wouldn't put him #1 cuz they know it was cause a media frenzy with bills mafia.

2 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Ah yes it's that time of year again. Media and analysts Purposely triggering the most fiery fan base to get trending in social media. And bills fans fall for it every year. Nick Wright is making a career out of hating on josh allen because angry bills fans get him trending. I would be willing to bet if josh won the sb they still wouldn't put him #1 cuz they know it was cause a media frenzy with bills mafia.

Well to be fair, this whole list is voted on by current players and put together directly by the league (and broadcast on NFL network.) so the usual suspects have nothing to do with this.

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

And absolutely no argument from me, all those guys deserve it.

I think so too.

They are more top heavy but I’d argue we are deeper with top 75 type players.

Josh, Stef, Milano, Poyer… if Von and Tre come back as good as before, and Kincaid and Floyd are as good as they look right now, we have a knockout squad.

If there were a league-wide re-draft, Mahomes would go #1 and Allen would go #2.

Maybe some GM would take Burrow #2, but I think most would take Allen. I think Allen isn’t necessarily well-liked by players across the league. He plays nasty, trash talks, flops, and I also think some players may not have forgiven him for his tweets that came out around draft time. This is voted for by the players after all.

49 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think Chris Jones deserves to be that high, personally.

Nah man, Chris Jones is an absolute game wrecker when he wants to be. Guy has gotten a bit lazy in the regular season but he shows up in the playoffs or in late game situations when the game is on the line. He's like Von or AD, when you really need that play he's usually there for you.

I'd LOVE to have Chris Jones on the Bills. A front 4 with Jones, Miller and Floyd would be a damn cheat code.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

4th in the NFL in sacks, only DT in the top 10.  Also top 10 in TFLs.  3rd in QB hits.  1 missed tackle on the year.  He makes the entire unit go.  

Recency bias. 

Would be #34 if he was on the Bills. 

Mahomes and Kelce in the top 10, sure. 

• Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.