Training camp 7/27 9:45 AM

I subscribe to a text update thing from Matt Parrino and Ryan Talbot. This is their update from camp today:

Checking back in.
Practice just ended and Josh Allen really heated up when the rain stopped.
He had a bunch of connections with Stefon Diggs, who took one to the house. Allen zipped in a ball and Siran Neal and Tyrel Dodson were the closest in coverage. Diggs made the catch in stride and exploded up field past the defense and took it all the way for the score. Diggs came back a few minutes later with a sliding grab.
Dawson Knox had a great day, too. He caught one of the sidelines that was a sensational jumping grab. He came down with it and got both feet in. Knox caught a touchdown later in practice with Kaiir Elam in coverage.

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Sounds like the defense is enjoying the WRs having some trouble with wet footballs.

Well, since that was a factor both in the Bengals debacle and the loss to the Jets....maybe the receivers need to be practicing their catching skills with wet footballs and a juggs.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, since that was a factor both in the Bengals debacle and the loss to the Jets....maybe the receivers need to be practicing their catching skills with wet footballs and a juggs.

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I subscribe to a text update thing from Matt Parrino and Ryan Talbot. This is their update from camp today:

Practice just ended and Josh Allen really heated up when the rain stopped.

There's still time to put a lid on the new stadium.   

31 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I hope you're right, and certainly the contract the Bills offered him makes it clear they think he's got more to offer there than McKenzie did.

But the problem we've historically faced with smurf players who have better skills than most opponents, is that when it comes to playoff football where the refs put their whistles away and "let the players play" (aka let the DBs mug the WR) they get neutralized.

Early reports are that Sherfield is playing gunner on ST opposite Neal.   The question with Sherfield isn't "is he a game changer on offense?" but "has he shown himself to be a better offensive contributor - a better WR - than Kumerow was?"

The answer is pretty clearly "yes. Yes, he has."

So Jake gets cut?😯

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Shakir fans going to be sad this year. I don't think he sees the field much. They seem intent on making Harty a thing with screens and end-arounds and they had Kincaid in there with Knox a lot which says a lot for a rookie to be running with the 1's day one. They had Sherfield in the slot too.

1 hour ago, Lost said:

I think its just that sinking feeling of more wasted draft capital that this team cannot really afford any more of considering how the rest of the conference has been progressing.  

Elam is also only in his second year, some players take longer to adjust, even first round picks, it happens.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Maybe Benford is just the real deal.  

I still believe it’s the tackling that separates him from Elam - at the moment.  

But it’s possible he’s just a better corner.   

He's also spent more time playing zone than Elam.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

So Jake gets cut?😯

Kumerow isn't on the Bills team.  He's currently not on any team.  He's a free agent.

I expect he's still recovering from late-season back surgery, and he may be signed closer to the start of the season if he has a good workout.

Or, at age 31, he may be done.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

He's also spent more time playing zone than Elam.

Then why did the bills move up to get Elam in a CB rich draft?  If they knew his man coverage experience didn’t translate to our zone heavy looks, then what gives?  I think they were smitten by his notebook and saw him as a student of the game and so far it hasn’t panned out. Elam has elite traits, and I think that’s what has shown up on game days to help mask his deficiencies. The bills seemed to have bet on Elam learning our scheme and it may have been a slight overlook. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Elam is also only in his second year, some players take longer to adjust, even first round picks, it happens.

This is a valid point.  Some people like to carry on as though every 1st round pick (or 2nd round pick) on every other team is a "hit".

But the truth is, the effects of coming into sudden wealth, the increased level of competition in the NFL, the length of the season....all have an impact.  About 1/3 of first round picks don't pan out, and another fraction become football players, but not the stars the team hoped for.

The Bills/Beane do have a pattern of taking draft shots on higher ceiling/lower floor players who sometimes take longer to develop (and, in this world of FA, then play well for only 1-2 years before hitting the big payday).  I would frankly class Tremaine Edmunds as one of those.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Knox n Kincaid could be absolutely lethal.  Best duo since Gronk n Hernandez

The versatility n dimension this adds to our O is unreal. Can't believe we got Kincaid . Beane musta had a hard on when the trade went through

Just that neither of them are roid-heads or murderers.

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Then why did the bills move up to get Elam in a CB rich draft?  If they knew his man coverage experience didn’t translate to our zone heavy looks, then what gives?  I think they were smitten by his notebook and saw him as a student of the game and so far it hasn’t panned out. Elam has elite traits, and I think that’s what has shown up on game days to help mask his deficiencies. The bills seemed to have bet on Elam learning our scheme and it may have been a slight overlook. 

See above.  It's Beane's pattern.  He'll take a shot on "elite traits" guys and count on them being able to be coached up.  Sometimes that works, and sometimes that doesn't.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I don't have the answers for that. 

As much as I'd like to see Elam playing with the first team defense, I'm not going to fret about it, because training camp just started.

When we get to the regular season and nothing has changed, then I will start to wonder. Elam will make his chances.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

See above.  It's Beane's pattern.  He'll take a shot on "elite traits" guys and count on them being able to be coached up.  Sometimes that works, and sometimes that doesn't.

I don't think that's a bad approach.. in fact, I rather like that Beane does this.  

That said, I think he does need to review his process a bit due to the fact we are entering the window where rookies will need to start being year 1/year 2 contributors.  

If Kaiir Elam can get sorted out.. it starts to look really promising with Elam/Cook and Kincaid/Torrence in consecutive years. 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

This is contradictory.   "(Dorian) Williams with the 3s" from Brown; Dorian Rapp and Bernard with the ones from Buffalo Fanatics.

The post starts off with mention of immediate rotation at multiple spots. Different folks reporting at different times, after rotations, maybe?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Knox n Kincaid could be absolutely lethal.  Best duo since Gronk n Hernandez. 

The versatility n dimension this adds to our O is unreal. Can't believe we got Kincaid . Beane musta had a hard on when the trade went through

That would be killer!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Kincaid hype train has left the station.

What a massive development it would be if we hit gold on this guy..

I have been dreaming of just such a potential matchup for YEARS  as a Bills fan.   A twin tower of stud TE's that make the decision on who to leave open a quandary 

for  defensive opponents. Having a guy like Dalton Kincaid  contributing in this offense YES PLEASE! Pretty please even.  I would LOVE to see it!

• Like (+1) 7

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

He's a 1st round pick. Shouldn't expectations be kinda high?

Absolutely .. but this guy feels different. 

I'm NOT saying he's Kelce.. but he's one of the few guys I've ever watched who moves like him.  

Also, the dynamic of 12 personnel that can also stretch the field is something pretty rare in the NFL.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Shakir fans going to be sad this year. I don't think he sees the field much. They seem intent on making Harty a thing with screens and end-arounds and they had Kincaid in there with Knox a lot which says a lot for a rookie to be running with the 1's day one. They had Sherfield in the slot too.

Are you not a shakir fan?

Sal C article:

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/bills/starting-middle-linebacker-cornerback-battles-in-full-swing?utm_campaign=sharebutton&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=WGRAM

On the second day of Buffalo Bills training camp here at St. John Fisher University, Terrel Bernard got his shot at middle linebacker with the first-team defense and Christian Benford got the same at cornerback, opposite Tre’Davious White.

That’s two different players at each spot over the first two days. On Wednesday it was Tyrel Dodson in the middle and Dane Jackson at corner.

Kaiir Elam is another cornerback competing for the starting spot, and while Dorian Williams is also competing at middle linebacker, he’s also been playing the weakside spot. AJ Klein and Baylon Spector are also both competing in the middle.

Defense gets picks

The defense had three interceptions off of Allen in 11-on-11, but two came off of tipped passes that maybe both should have been caught.

First, while in the rain, Allen threw it into some traffic. There were a few hands involved but it banged off a couple players (I couldn’t make out exactly who) and ultimately fell into the hands of cornerback Cam Lewis.

After that, safety Jordan Poyer made a tremendous, instinctual play to undercut a route run by Stefon Diggs.

The ball was a bit short and underthrown. Diggs slid to make the grab, but Poyer knew the perfect angle to get low and get it first. No one touched him, so he got up and ran back for what might have been a touchdown.

Finally, wide receiver Khalil Shakir had a ball in his hands he should have grabbed, but couldn’t hold on. It popped up, and Bernard was in the perfect spot to grab the interception.

51 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

For a player that hasn’t played poorly, your anti elam agenda is stale.

We get it-  you didn’t want him.  Cool

• Like (+1) 7
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Spencer brown -  the only man that could singlehandedly end our season 

Agreed. It would be better if he were worse because at least he wouldn't be playing. (Yes, it's still too early to say for sure.)

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You should listen to your user name 

So should you, 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.