Training camp 7/27 9:45 AM

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Didn't see anything for today's session. Drop notes about observations if you like.

Mods please feel free to merge if I am spreading this out too much.

Does anyone know what the blue object Diggs is holding in his had might be?  He had one in his hand as he came out of the tunnel yesterday, as well.

4 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Didn't see anything for today's session. Drop notes about observations if you like.

Mods please feel free to merge if I am spreading this out too much.

I prefer the daily threads.  Good idea imo

• Agree 13

I realize it's just day 2 and they are likely getting looks at guys in different situations, however Torrence will see his opportunity to take the job IMO. It's up to him to make it so the staff can't justify him coming off the field. 

Don't know if he can or will but I definitely am not counting him out. He brings something to the line no other OL does. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I realize it's just day 2 and they are likely getting looks at guys in different situations, however Torrence will see his opportunity to take the job IMO. It's up to him to make it so the staff can't justify him coming off the field. 

Don't know if he can or will but I definitely am not counting him out. He brings something to the line no other OL does. 

seize the moment big man!!  Take it and run and fast as you can!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Running fast may not be his style...but he can lock on and drive the opportunity 20 yards downfield.  

Yup, drive it like you stole it,

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It does definitely show he's got a clear shot at taking the spot though if they're already rotating him in on day 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The endorphin rush, followed by the immediate crash when reading Torrence is running with the 1's ... but so is Dane Jackson. 

I mean what, do you want them to hand Elam the job if he isn't progressing in understanding his role and how to defend in a zone defense well enough?  Reports from camp yesterday was that he was giving up receptions in coverage, while running with the 2's.

People have a Jones here talking about how McDermott won't play rookies (or young players) for mysterious reasons even though the poor trodden upon rookies are so much better than the guy who is out there.

News flash, when rookies have been better than the alternative, they've played. 

Tre White: 16 starts as a rookie.

Dion Dawkins: 11 starts as a rookie

Zay Jones: 10 starts as a rookie (no, he wasn't good, but he was better than the alternative)

Tre Edmunds: 15 games as a rookie (again, made mistakes, but better than the alternative)

Ed Oliver: 7 starts as a rookie, including being benched for a few games.  Phillips was better.

Cody Ford: 15 starts as a rookie

As a team overall improves, and is more attractive to FA, it becomes harder and harder for a rookie to be "better than the alternative"

But the truth is, rookies get playing time if they deserve it by being better than the alternative, and lose playing time if they don't.  And deserving isn't limited to a few good plays fans see, it means understanding the play call and their role and being in the right place doing the right thing every play.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Beck Water said:

I mean what, do you want them to hand Elam the job if he isn't progressing in understanding his role and how to defend in a zone defense well enough?

Reports from camp yesterday was that he was giving up receptions in coverage, while running with the 2's.

I think its just that sinking feeling of more wasted draft capital that this team cannot really afford any more of considering how the rest of the conference has been progressing.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Lost said:

I think its just that sinking feeling of more wasted draft capital that this team cannot really afford any more of considering how the rest of the conference has been progressing.  

There’s always the Jets for you ESPN keeps running stuff how amazing they will be every 5 minutes 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean what, do you want them to hand Elam the job if he isn't progressing in understanding his role and how to defend in a zone defense well enough?  Reports from camp yesterday was that he was giving up receptions in coverage, while running with the 2's.

People have a Jones here talking about how McDermott won't play rookies (or young players) for mysterious reasons even though the poor trodden upon rookies are so much better than the guy who is out there.

News flash, when rookies have been better than the alternative, they've played. 

Tre White: 16 starts as a rookie.

Dion Dawkins: 11 starts as a rookie

Zay Jones: 10 starts as a rookie (no, he wasn't good, but he was better than the alternative)

Tre Edmunds: 15 games as a rookie (again, made mistakes, but better than the alternative)

Ed Oliver: 7 starts as a rookie, including being benched for a few games.  Phillips was better.

Cody Ford: 15 starts as a rookie

As a team overall improves, and is more attractive to FA, it becomes harder and harder for a rookie to be "better than the alternative"

But the truth is, rookies get playing time if they deserve it by being better than the alternative, and lose playing time if they don't.  And deserving isn't limited to a few good plays fans see, it means understanding the play call and their role and being in the right place doing the right thing every play.

Well said!

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Lost said:

Yup.  For as long as Josh Allen is here, we have a Super Bowl window, but with his cap hits starting to become reflective of the QB he is... there isn't going to be the ability to bring in another Von Miller because we can't hit on DL picks.

We have got to start getting production from young players, early in their rookie contracts.  

Can't have a guy like AJE finally click when we have to pay him, or Ed Oliver finally become what we want him to be when he's making big money... these guys have to start producing in Year 1...Year 2...  Is Boogie Basham even going to make the team?

Now Year 2 for Kaiir Elam, at a money position. I can live with Benford if he wins it.. he might just be very good while overlooked at a small school.. but we know what Dane Jackson is, and Dane Jackson should not be beating out a Year 2 RD1 Corner.  This can't keep happening if we want to stay a top contender. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Drama King Dorsey!! Go to Walmart and buy a pillow topper😜

No need.  Bills Mafia will probably have 1600 pillow toppers shipped to his dorm by end of day. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Fleezoid said:

Confucious say, man who don't know answer, passes buck to me. 

I was hoping he'd say "Don't Fear the Reaper"

Learn how to delegate ...clearly he has learned that one and very smoothly too NICE

🙂

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This contradicts what Josh Harris said above, but they may be switching between Bates and Torrence. Good sign that Torrence is showing progress and is working his way towards winning the starting job.

The pre snap motion is welcoming to hear. Didn't see that last season, eager to see how Dorsey does in his 2nd year

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.