Bills red helmet throwbacks incoming? 2023 NFL throwback uniform news

loyal2dagame

On 7/20/2023 at 9:31 PM, SoMAn said:

I’d be surprised if that’s correct.
My recollection is it was only that single game against the Broncos. If you have any photo evidence or links regarding that same ugly helmet worn in Oilers contest, please share. 

I have game worn jerseys from both games, but not the helmets as they were just decals. Trust us, its 100% a thing.  As a matter of rule, each team had a home and away (white and dark) jersey for the 75th anvrsy in 1994. Except for the 91 whitesox and a few others, this was the beginning of the throwback trend. A few teams like the Bears and Redskins had the foresight to actually make replica and authentic jerseys for fans to purchase. Many teams like the Bills - did not. The throwbacks are generally considered the most difficult jerseys to obtain from the modern era. Its crazy to think now days that jerseys were not made, but only a limited amount of Kellys were made for people in the organization. Ive also seen a few OJs out there, but that may be more because he was otherwise indisposed (unplanned absense) in 1994. Some teams even took it one step further. The broncos extras were all turned into Elways as a promotion with a car dealership in Denver. The Packers eqpt manager turned all their extras into Favres but had the foresight to label them so they couldnt be passed off as game worn (although the lineman cut are pretty obvious). Some teams like the Steelers,  who have kept all their extra jerseys over the years (in a temp controlled and inventoried fashion) put a few blanks on ebay every year. The 1994 NFL season started the throwback trend and we all have that to thank for what everyone just takes as commonplace now days.

Also, fwiw, if you ever happen to see the blue Kelly throwback in the HOF listed as game worn - its an extra. Bills players in the game wore jerseys with 1 sleeve stripe. All the 'extras' have 2. The Bills players were issued 2 of each color and their extra was auctioned off by team wives or walked out the back door. 

Edited by gobills1212
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

I have game worn jerseys from both games, but not the helmets as they were just decals. Trust us, its 100% a thing.  As a matter of rule, each team had a home and away (white and dark) jersey for the 75th anvrsy in 1994. Except for the 91 whitesox and a few others, this was the beginning of the throwback trend. A few teams like the Bears and Redskins had the foresight to actually make replica and authentic jerseys for fans to purchase. Many teams like the Bills - did not. The throwbacks are generally considered the most difficult jerseys to obtain from the modern era. Its crazy to think now days that jerseys were not made, but only a limited amount of Kellys were made for people in the organization. Ive also seen a few OJs out there, but that may be more because he was otherwise indisposed (unplanned absense) im 1994. Some teams even took it one step further. The broncos extras were all turned into Elways as a promotion with a car dealership in Denver. The Packers eqpt manager turned all their extras into Favres but had the foresight to label them so they couldnt be passed off as game worn (although the lineman cut are pretty obvious). Some teams like the Steelers,  who have kept all their extra jerseys over the years (in a temp conrolled and inventoried fashion) put a few blanks on ebay every year. The 1994 NFL season started the throwback trend and we all have that to thank for what everyone just takes as commonplace now days.

Also, fwiw, if you ever happen to see the blue Kelly throwback in the HOF listed as game worn - its an extra. Bills players in the game wore jerseys with 1 sleeve stripe. All the 'extras' have 2. The Bills players were issued 2 of each color and their extra was auctioned off by team wives or walked out the back door. 

Thanks for the insight. 
The only jerseys I ever owned was a replica #12 (I don’t believe it even had a name on the back) and a 2003 Travis Henry away jersey.  
That one should have come with the little family stencils seen on rear car windows, depicting Henry’s 20 kids and concubines. 
On a similar note regarding team Jerseys- I’d be reluctant to spend $100+ on an authentic jersey with players changing teams and numbers so frequently. They’re often already dated after a couple of years. Anyone get a James Cook #28 last year? Sorry. James is now #4. 
# 28, who knows?  Camp fodder?

4 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Thanks for the insight. 
The only jerseys I ever owned was a replica #12 (I don’t believe it even had a name on the back) and a 2003 Travis Henry away jersey.  
That one should have come with the little family stencils seen on rear car windows, depicting Henry’s 20 kids and concubines. 
On a similar note regarding team Jerseys- I’d be reluctant to spend $100+ on an authentic jersey with players changing teams and numbers so frequently. They’re often already dated after a couple of years. Anyone get a James Cook #28 last year? Sorry. James is now #4. 
# 28, who knows?  Camp fodder?

Authentics / Elite are now at about $300. I ordered a white throwback one with my last name and favorite number a few years ago when they had a 25% sale. I’ve since customized a Kelly-era authentic (whose vinyl numbers peeled in the wash) with twill name & numbers from an eBay seller who does it with Cricut or such, and I learned how to sew and it looks great.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Me personally I hate the red helmets and it has nothing to do with nostalgia or the eras in which they wore them. I just don’t think they look good. 

My personal preference for an alt helmet would be the white with the red standing buffalo. 

image.png.76e7a842bcd40ca09d15ec43732f9b64.png

Reed's IG video was super weird today. To me (and Id imagine most) it read like "I talked when I shouldn't have, got yelled at, and now I have to tell you I was just joking". This was furthered along when his wife (taking the video) made it a point to interject 2x essentially keeping him on point and to make it clear he didnt actually know anything, but rather was just doing the equivalent of thinking out loud. 

Common sense says, since Reed does quite a bit of talking like this but has never seen the need to make a video explaining it  - he was told to do this. This is exasperated when the wifey keeps interrupting to hammer home said bullet points. She seems like shes litterally saying what they probably told him to say. Something like " you shouldn't have said anything about our unannounced throwbacks. Now, go make a video saying you were just spitballing". Maybe if it was just him, but when she feels the need to hammer home by asking questions that lead him to say he doesnt know anything... THAT is what makes it fishy. 

Allens red throwback got a lot of love at camp last year. I wouldnt he surprised if they double down on that. Or, release the news of a jersey there in some form or fashion.

Edited by gobills1212

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

Maybe the Bills don’t need to reveal a throwback because they are just going with the standing bison and white jerseys like they have been using?

They didn’t use them last season. They’re retired at the moment.

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

Tennessee Titans on Twitter: "Tannehill rockin' the Oiler blue https://t.co/PdPE0pml3l" / Twitter

That is a disgrace Tennessee Titans ownership and the Titans fans are classless. The uniform is legally yours but it’s not right morally. Do the right thing and give the City of Houston the Houston Oilers color, name and uniform back. I get it the Titans owners are going to make all the money off Houston Oilers fans. Yeah off the same Houston football fans they left and wanted nothing to do with. Plus who cares Buffalo Super Fan you buy the Buffalo Braves merchandise from the Los Angeles Clippers that own the rights legally to the Buffalo Braves logo. That is true the difference is Buffalo isn’t in the NBA anymore Houston is in the NFL again with the Houston Texans. I would hope if Buffalo ever had a expansion NBA team hypothetically the Buffalo Wings that the Los Angeles Clippers would do the right thing and give Buffalo the Buffalo Braves logo back for the Buffalo Wings NBA team to use hypothetically for the Buffalo fans. Same if Hartford ever got a NHL team or if Quebec City ever got a NHL team back. The Houston Oilers should be worn by the Houston Texans for Houston, Texas fans to celebrate not Nashville, Tennessee fans in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, I am leaving for good said:

That is a disgrace Tennessee Titans ownership and the Titans fans are classless. The uniform is legally yours but it’s not right morally. Do the right thing and give the City of Houston the Houston Oilers color, name and uniform back. I get it the Titans owners are going to make all the money off Houston Oilers fans. Yeah off the same Houston football fans they left and wanted nothing to do with. Plus who cares Buffalo Super Fan you buy the Buffalo Braves merchandise from the Los Angeles Clippers that own the rights legally to the Buffalo Braves logo. That is true the difference is Buffalo isn’t in the NBA anymore Houston is in the NFL again with the Houston Texans. I would hope if Buffalo ever had a expansion NBA team hypothetically the Buffalo Wings that the Los Angeles Clippers would do the right thing and give Buffalo the Buffalo Braves logo back for the Buffalo Wings NBA team to use hypothetically for the Buffalo fans. Same if Hartford ever got a NHL team or if Quebec City ever got a NHL team back. The Houston Oilers should be worn by the Houston Texans for Houston, Texas fans to celebrate not Nashville, Tennessee fans in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I agree that if they bring back the Houston Oilers look it should be the Texans doing it since it is a part of Houston's football history.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

The mono orange still sucks.  They don’t look like the Broncos. 

The Denver Broncos alternate should be there old Brown and Gold AFL uniforms like Wyoming Cowboys colors it fits the Rocky Mountains and the Gold Rush history in the West more than that new helmet and uniforms the Broncos released in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

20 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Getting closer......

I know the Bills wore the all blues a lot last year but if they are going with the red helmet then they should honor their past and wear blue over white with the red helmet. All blues with a red helmet would look fugly IMHO.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

That is a top 5 helmet in the league right there. Well done Denver, weeeeelllll done.

It's better than anything they've ever worn before and should be their permanent helmet going forward, IMO. 

Just reveal the 90's red helmets with blue accents to match our current uniforms. Nothing else needs to be changed!

Also, what are the rules on field designs? Could we have a 90's era field throwback with red endzones? 

On 7/25/2023 at 12:00 PM, BuffaloBaumer said:

That is a top 5 helmet in the league right there. Well done Denver, weeeeelllll done.

I dunno, I'm getting tired of everyone getting a white helmet redesign now... But I'd be lying if I said it doesn't look good.

Either way, better than a lot of those black alternate helmets.

Edited by BigDingus

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.