Why is Tyrod Taylor not more revered in the Bills fan base?

On 6/29/2023 at 5:29 PM, ngbills said:

I appreciated Tyrod. He was a decent bridge QB. For some reason, many expected more out of him which was unrealistic. In 2015 he actually had one of the highest yards per attempts numbers in the league while limiting int's. So he was taking chances, but that did change over the next couple years as the WR room changed. His top target in 2017 was deonte thompson...

You've pretty much summed it up.   

The biggest problem Tyrod had was that he worried too much about getting benched and losing an NFL job.    

He was the anti-Fitz.   People hated when he opened up about his opinions that black QB's got less opportunities to make mistakes, quicker hooks and less chances to stay in the league for a long time..........but he wasn't wrong about that.   He just made a conscious decision to be ultra-conservative to assure that he wasn't losing games for his team and so he could keep getting to play in the NFL.  

After a while it became such a habit I don't know if he could even change.  It would have been a lot more fun to see what he could do if he played a wide open style like Fitz.   We saw in 2015 he was a big play waiting to happen.   And, in fact, the Bills offense lead the NFL in big plays (20+ yards) under Tyrod in both 2015 and 2016. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/30/2023 at 10:17 AM, The Jokeman said:

Tyrod was David Garrard. A game manager at best and for some reason after his first year starting he stopped throwing deep whether it be coaching or his wanting to avoid risks to keep his job etc. He just wasn't good enough as a passer to remain a starter. That Jacksonville playoff game was one of the most infuriating games to watch as we were a better team but Tyrod was at his worst that day. 

I thought Garrard was a better QB with some more consistency and throwing ability. 

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Still find it laughable that people would take Fitz and even the downright awful Drew Bledsoe(as a Bill) over Tyrod. Honestly just reeks of racism. 

You give Fitzy the teams Tyrod had and we wouldnt have needed a miracle from Andy Dalton to make the playoffs.

On 6/29/2023 at 2:22 PM, Jauronimo said:

Fitz had miserable defenses during his time in Buffalo. 

Fitz played miserable every time the game mattered…here and everywhere he went.  He is one of those guys who can get hot for a little bit, usually against lesser competition, then completely fold and give the game away with multiple turnovers when it’s late in the season and trying to actually make the playoffs.  

Love Fitz in terms of the person, but he was a backup QB lucky enough to find his way to an inept organization to dumb and cheap to find a better option and got paid. 

Again, he is awesome and hilarious, but our defense during his time here had nothing to do with him being a weak full time starting option.

• Like (+1) 2

Tyrod was better than the fan base consensus is around here, so I understand where the OP is coming from.  At the same time he wasn’t as good as the OP is writing here either.  

Does TT deserve more appreciation from Bills Mafia?  Yes, I think so.  He still wasn’t a very good starter, but he was the best post Kelly era QB we had until we found Allen.  And that isn’t to say TT was that good, that is just how BAD the other QBs were during that span.  

But…up to that point, the TT led era was the second highest 3 year scoring period in Bills history, 2nd only to the first three SB years.  He made 2 pro bowls, had a winning record, and was the only QB to reach the playoffs in 17 years.  

Cons:  He was too much reliant on players being open to let the ball go because he lacked anticipation and vision.  He would run too soon rather than let routes develop.  He became risk adverse in moments we needed him to take chances.  

TT had the talent, he could actually throw the ball well.  He just didn’t have the vision or mental toughness to take chances and push the ball down field.  And that made him a below average starter overall.

Still, I appreciate the fact he helped us break the streak and his 3 years was less inept than the years prior.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Fitz was a turnover machine… for a guy who went to Harvard he threw some all time DUMB passes…. The Bills went to the playoffs that year because they didn’t turn the ball over. Unless Peterman was playing…. And the offensive talent on that team was mostly trash.😅

Do you remember the Saints game that got Tyrod benched? You are calling LeSean McCoy, Richie Ingonito (on the field), Robert Woods & co trash compaired to bums Fitzy & Gailey were working with? Allen is a turnover machine compared fo Tyrod and no one is making that argument.

45 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Fitz played miserable every time the game mattered…here and everywhere he went.  He is one of those guys who can get hot for a little bit, usually against lesser competition, then completely fold and give the game away with multiple turnovers when it’s late in the season and trying to actually make the playoffs.  

Love Fitz in terms of the person, but he was a backup QB lucky enough to find his way to an inept organization to dumb and cheap to find a better option and got paid. 

Again, he is awesome and hilarious, but our defense during his time here had nothing to do with him being a weak full time starting option.

That would be a great post were it a relevant response to anything I had said. OP said Fitz had strong defenses which is patently false.

Fitz played during our ill fated switch from 4-3 to 3-4 for which we completely lacked personnel, moved what little talent we had out of position, shoved Schobel into retirement, and then wasted 3 drafts trying to get a nose tackle and big LBs.  Those defensive squads could not stop the run, generated minimal pass rush, and consistently ranked toward the bottom of the league from 2009 to 2012.  Do you remember Chris Kelsay playing OLB?  43 is the Mike?  The great Moats, Batten, Troupe, and Carrington drafts?  The great George Edwards coming up with brilliant game plans?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/opp.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/opp.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/opp.htm

See this is how a conversation works.  You read and then you respond to what is written rather than go off on a tangent about quarterback play as if I said anything anything about Fitz's performance at all.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

McCoy was just about washed at that point and Woods wasn’t on the team. 😅

Tyrod had Woods in 15 & 16. McCoy was a beast in 17, hit his wall in 18. 

Edited by uticaclub

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

You give Fitzy the teams Tyrod had and we wouldnt have needed a miracle from Andy Dalton to make the playoffs.

That Bengals win was dramatic because it was the last game, but still would’ve affected the standings the same way during any week of the season. The point is Buffalo won the games they needed to win in order to secure a spot including beating Miami in week 17. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

That Bengals win was dramatic because it was the last game, but still would’ve affected the standings the same way during any week of the season. The point is Buffalo won the games they needed to win in order to secure a spot including beating Miami in week 17. 

In still wonder if Tyrod would be here if not for that Bengals win.  Or at least would have started in 2018 is a better way to put it.  

If the Bengals lose that game the Bills playoff drought would have extended.  McDermott still would have had a very respectable rookie season at 9-7.  But I’m not sure how that would fly drafting Allen at that point as there would have been more pressure to break the drought.  Not be patient with a rookie QB 

15 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

In still wonder if Tyrod would be here if not for that Bengals win.  Or at least would have started in 2018 is a better way to put it.  

If the Bengals lose that game the Bills playoff drought would have extended.  McDermott still would have had a very respectable rookie season at 9-7.  But I’m not sure how that would fly drafting Allen at that point as there would have been more pressure to break the drought.  Not be patient with a rookie QB 

It was the first year under Mcdermott. It wouldn’t have made a difference with respect to drafting Josh.

When the Bills signed Tyrod I was convinced that he would start because of the rave reviews from his Ravens teammates.  I was happy that he beat out EJ & Cassel & figured he was the best we could do.  I actually mail ordered a T-Mobile tee shirt from the internet and wore it in the house while watching games in 2015 and wore it to the 2016 opener in Baltimore.  By 2017 I was calling him " a wheel spinner" because as long as he was the Bills QB, we'd be spinning our wheels in mediocrity.  Obviously Beane felt the same way and went for it all in the 2018 draft.  

Tyrod was a good bridge QB until we got someone in management who could recognize QB talent in the draft.  That was not Nix or Whaley.  The bottom line is Tyrod is a top level backup who can win 8-10 games if everything goes right, but if he's your starter he's a guy you'll always be looking to replace.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

That would be a great post were it a relevant response to anything I had said. OP said Fitz had strong defenses which is patently false.

Fitz played during our ill fated switch from 4-3 to 3-4 for which we completely lacked personnel, moved what little talent we had out of position, shoved Schobel into retirement, and then wasted 3 drafts trying to get a nose tackle and big LBs.  Those defensive squads could not stop the run, generated minimal pass rush, and consistently ranked toward the bottom of the league from 2009 to 2012.  Do you remember Chris Kelsay playing OLB?  43 is the Mike?  The great Moats, Batten, Troupe, and Carrington drafts?  The great George Edwards coming up with brilliant game plans?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/opp.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/opp.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/opp.htm

See this is how a conversation works.  You read and then you respond to what is written rather than go off on a tangent about quarterback play as if I said anything anything about Fitz's performance at all.

Apologies, I think you took my post wrong.  I wasn't trying to come across as criticizing your post or throwing shade at you, more just ranting on Fitz just cuz Fitz name came up in general.  

And I was more just making it clear that the defense really wasn't an excuse for him as he just wasn't good enough himself.  Fitz had his own short comings as a player was the only point I was making.  Not denying he didnt have a great defense hear, but Fitz failed to hold a starting gig more than a year every stop before and after Buffalo.  No one wanted to depend on him because he was just good enough to keep your team from getting a good draft pick, but not good enough to get your team to the post season.  

On 6/30/2023 at 1:06 AM, billsfan89 said:

Probably is insinuating that there was more love for Fitz due to the fact his is white. Which I honestly think could be true on some subconscious level. Not because fans are raging racists but rather the way Fitz was portrayed by the media was different than Tyrod possibly due to race. Fitz was a white QB who played for the Ivy League and was an underdog story. Tyrod had the same underdog story but was not portrayed as the same loveable hard-nosed player. 

But I think in addition to a different media portrayal due to who Fitz was (white QB from the Ivy League that played with his wedding ring on), Fitz also showed a love for the community that Tyrod didn't. Tyrod by almost any measure was a better QB for the Bills yet fans seem to remember Fitz more fondly. I hope that fans do show Tyrod some love down the line and I hope Tyrod shows some love back. But I think the disparity in fans perception is multi-faceted and race could be a part of that.

Comparing Fitz 2010 to 2012 season to Tyrod's 2015-2017 seasons basically the three seasons both were the starting QB. 

Fitz threw and rushed for about 242 yards per game. Tyrod threw and rushed for about 243 yards per game a wash in terms of yards per game produced

Fitz compiled 72 total TD's rushing and throwing in 45 games. Tyrod compiled 65 total TD's in 44 games. A slight edge to Fitz.

Fitz however was a massive turnover machine 54 INT's in three seasons compared to just 16 for Tyrod in three seasons

The Bills were pretty awful with Fitz in terms of wins and losses. Fitz had a 16-29 in those seasons and a 20-33 record overall in the four seasons Fitz was a starter.

The Bills had a 22-20 record with Tyrod the first Bills QB with a winning record since Flutie. 

Now I am not going to put the losing record completely on Fitz, the team was not very good in those years and although the team may have won a few more games had Fitz not had so many turnovers the team was flawed beyond the QB position. But Tyrod allowed the Bills to win games by not making mistakes and making some plays with his legs. He broke the drought and helped to establish McD's culture by helping the Bills overachieve in 2017. 

Taylor had nothing to do with breaking the drought. 

A bunch of tipped balls that went the Bills’ way (INTs) did. 

The Bills made the playoffs despite Taylor; not because of him. 

And we saw exactly why when the playoffs came. 

He was embarrassing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

He was embarrassing. 

They made the playoffs through good coaching and some breaks. It was Tyrod's worst season of the 3. It was the wins on the road against the Falcons (in a Superbowl months before) and the Chiefs that ultimately mattered and McDermott outcoached Quinn and Reid in those games. 

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

He was embarrassing. 

Embarrassing is starting Nate Peterman over Josh Allen, drafting JP Losman/Todd Collins/EJ Manuel, Rob Johnson, Kyle Orton, Fitzpatrick and his dumb game sealing interceptions. Tyrod did what he had to do to win games and was coached down to ride the running game and not turn the ball over. Even game managers still have to extend drives when needed. Yes, the Jax games sucked, but Buffalo wasn’t rly gonna go anywhere in the playoffs anyways. I think the goal  was to break the drought and build from there. The hate for this guy is unbelievable. It’s okay to not be a fan of someone, but no need to put them down by calling them trash or embarrassing. If he was trash I don’t think he would still be on an NFL roster. 

On 6/29/2023 at 5:14 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I never ever understood the hate for Tyrod Taylor. He was a dynamic athlete that defenses had to properly game plan against and played a big role in breaking the 17 year drought. I think he is one of the better dual threats of all time and it’s cool seeing the contrast between TT and Allen as runners. Why is he not a bigger part of Bills’ lore? He got done what a **** load of previous QBs couldn’t. It’s not like Losman, Bledsoe, or Fitz didn’t have good defenses too. So I really don’t wanna hear how the defense alone propelled us there. It was also Tyrod’s legs and low turnover rate + big play ability as well. 

Woah...easy there sailor

I liked Taylor when he was here and wished that they had kept him as a stopgap while transitioning to Allen.  

Taylor was actually decent when throwing to Watkins and woods.   His 2015 season may have been the best for a QB in the drought era.   A big part of his decline in my opinion was the WR group of 2017 which consisted of

-A not Ready yet rookie in Zay Jones who has become decent now in Jacksonville, but had a record drop ratio in the first half of the season as a rookie

-An overrated, uninspired Jordan Matthews who did want to be in Buffalo and made it clear with his effort

-A journeyman in Deonte Thompson who led the way with a blazing 27 receptions and may have actually been the best in the bunch

-Andre Holmes and Brandon Tate who were nothing more than special teams players

-A trade for Kelvin Benjamin who also didn't want to be there and gained more pounds than he caught passes during his time here

I really thought that he might stick around as a journeyman in the same way that Fitz did after Buffalo, but he could never catch a break.    I appreciate Taylor for his time here, but am glad to have Allen now.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

Tyrod against Miami on Christmas showed me what was always possible. He just never pulled the trigger. He was worse than flutie because flutie seemed to get at least a couple first downs and glad real balls. Tyrod was probably more talented, but never pulled the trigger.

And "revere" is a big word. Reserved for legends, IMO. Tyrod was serviceable and I always thought he could have so much more.

Edited by billsintaiwan

On 7/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, Bockeye said:

Getting excited about Tyrod is like celebrating a ‘C’ on your report card. 

D Minus.    Can’t win a playoff game by scoring twice in a whole game.   

Think he lost a game for the browns with a plus 7 Turnover differential iirc.   

He stinks, the guy who keeps telling us he doesn’t must be stoned.  

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/29/2023 at 5:14 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I never ever understood the hate for Tyrod Taylor. He was a dynamic athlete that defenses had to properly game plan against and played a big role in breaking the 17 year drought. I think he is one of the better dual threats of all time and it’s cool seeing the contrast between TT and Allen as runners. Why is he not a bigger part of Bills’ lore? He got done what a **** load of previous QBs couldn’t. It’s not like Losman, Bledsoe, or Fitz didn’t have good defenses too. So I really don’t wanna hear how the defense alone propelled us there. It was also Tyrod’s legs and low turnover rate + big play ability as well. 

Let's see....17/37 for 134 yards and 0 td and 1 int in the playoffs.

Also having guys wide open and not scanning the field enough to see them.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

D Minus.    Can’t win a playoff game by scoring twice in a whole game.   

Think he lost a game for the browns with a plus 7 Turnover differential iirc.   

He stinks, the guy who keeps telling us he doesn’t must be stoned.  

I can't believe anyone would die on Tuh-rod hill. 57 yds against the Saints lol

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Tyrod had TRASH WRs. 

TT had Sammy Watkins , Robert woods , Percy harvin, marquise goodwin,  and chris hogan 

Plus Charles Clay and LeSean McCoy to throw to

It’s 1 billion times better than what Josh Allen inherited

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Only in his final year. 2015 he had Watkins, Woods and Harvin.

And Marquise Goodwin and Chris Hogan

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

young peak watkins did some things once trash ass Tyrod got out the way for Orton 🤣

I misunderstood. I thought you were saying Watkins and Woods were no good. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.