McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

8 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

lol, with the right back he can pay any waitress....his personal life is his, he'll take it out on linebackers. 

A qb taking on lbs is as smart as cheating on your girlfriend with a waitress and getting her pregnant. 

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

This is a strawman.

No one is arguing that coaches should be fired for not winning a Super Bowl in any given year.

But what if they go the better part of the decade, with a top 5 QB, and never even MAKE the Super Bowl? What about then?

That is the def of strawman

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Your counterexample is also loaded and ridiculous, even if rhetorical. Expectations are measured by many factors. One of them is the quality of your team. Do you have a franchise qb, etc.? No one can plausibly expect a team without one to have much of a chance at a Super Bowl. Given the nature of the Bills, I think there ought to be an expectation that the team will do well and advance beyond the division round of the playoffs. I'm not writing off McDermott and Beane. I like them, but they will be judged by post-season success or lack thereof.

Part of me just wants to see this happen and watch this team fall off into the abyss with no decent head coach just salute people like you can see what it looks like

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

On average over 20% of those 31 HCs do get fired annually

Not ones with 13 and three records

3 hours ago, section122 said:

I'll ask for a 3rd time... what year should they have won the super bowl?  Which year did they lose in the playoffs to an inferior team?

They Bills should have beat KC. They gave the game away in 13 seconds. Many think they had a great chance to go to the SB and win it. No one will really know. The team looked pretty unstoppable. 

The Bills had a great opportunity vs the Texans. They choked the game away. 

They Bills had a great opportunity vs a crappy Jags team. It was a winnable game.

They were totally outclassed and outcoached in the first KC playoff game. Yes KC was better but the coaches game plan was terrible. 

They should have lost to an aging Philip Rivers led Indy team. The team was outcoached by a country mile. 

A 100 yard INT TD saved the day vs a Ravens team. 

Last year they were fortunate to beat Miami. The Cinci game was a disaster. 

During the Bills playoff run can you think of many instances where the coaching staff, game plan, and game time adjustments awed you? Where they were difference makers? Where is the progression in the playoffs? 

You can spin it any way you want. The fact remains the Bills are 4-5 under McD in the playoffs. It's the way they have lost that's the most disturbing. I feel that the coaching staff hasn't put the Bills in the best position to win games. Look at Fraizer as an example. Look at Dorsey last year. Look at McD for 13 seconds. How can a Bills fans not be disappointed by the Bills performance playoff performance under McD? Especially, the last two years. 

The typical response is McD is learning and will improve. Give him time to shine.  Maybe maybe not. It's unknown. I have six years of data to support my doubts. What do McD supporters have to support their thesis or premise that McD can get it done? I suppose it's hope and time because it's might be data. 

Based on your rational the Bills are very unlikely to go to the SB this year. Why? KC and Cinci by almost all football fans are superior teams than Buffalo. Superior coaching staff too. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

The difference is that Reid had already been to 5 Championship games and a Super Bowl by that point.

BIG difference between that and McDermott. One was a lot closer to the goal than the other.

That’s not the “ultimate objective”, as you stated in your post to 4merper.  Reid didn’t make the afc championship game until year 6. McDermott made the afc championship game in year 4. Reid was in Philly for 14 seasons without winning one SB. Moving the goalposts to help you out? To you it was all about achieving the “ultimate objective “ and quickly.  You made no bones about it. Now with just one example of many I could bring up, you change your tune to “he was close “. Yeah, he was close…FOR 21 YEARS. Wow. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

HC for 6 seasons and 5 of those 6 in the playoffs with the last 3 as AFC East division winners. Arguably the best HC, GM tandem in the history of the Buffalo Bills

After that Bengals playoff loss, so many Buffalo fans posting here are like little children that want their Maypo NOW...NOW, GDI NOW!

Look at the very best head coach in the league right now is Kansas City Chiefs Andy Reid. For 14 years he was the Eagles HC and only went to the SB once and didn't win it in all that time. He did get the Eagles there in his sixth season. 

Reid has been the HC of the Chiefs for 10 years and he has yet to have a losing season. His team has been in the SB 3 of the last 4 years and won 2 of them.

Amazing!

This is the team that Buffalo must contend with to get to a super bowl. The Bills have beaten the Chiefs 2x now in the regular season so they have proven that they have what it takes.  Just a matter of time. 

Good deal that Beane and McDermott were shown by the owners that they are not going anywhere! Makes me happy! 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Your counterexample is also loaded and ridiculous, even if rhetorical. Expectations are measured by many factors. One of them is the quality of your team. Do you have a franchise qb, etc.? No one can plausibly expect a team without one to have much of a chance at a Super Bowl. Given the nature of the Bills, I think there ought to be an expectation that the team will do well and advance beyond the division round of the playoffs. I'm not writing off McDermott and Beane. I like them, but they will be judged by post-season success or lack thereof.

Indeed. The bar has changed but for many the bar is still low or too high. Depends on your perspective. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Josh Allen grew leaps and bounds from years 1-3…

he’s been elite for 3 years not half a decade 

Three years of lost opportunities. Is that a fair statement? 

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

Agreed. His point was inane…completely lacking context and nuance. 

McDermott and Beane have been successful in Buffalo. I can’t imagine anyone debating that. But that doesn’t mean they’re the right fit to move forward.

It’s one thing to improve from laughing stock to playoff contender. It’s quite  another to improve from playoff contender to champion. 

This post should be framed. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Hell yes. That Phillip Rivers game he had a couple incredible completions to Davis to give them a chance.  Maybe I'm biased cause I followed Davis through UCF and won't give up on him. I think it's all by-product of a weak running game. 

2 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

When you have a roster as talented as ours top to bottom, cap management is going to come into play, especially with a top 5 QB on his second contract.I think he's done a great job. I suffered through a lot of bad, bad years of Bills football and this is only the second time in my life where we've had a Super Bowl contender for multiple years. It's fun watching Bills football again.

I don't think anyone disputes the recent success of the Bills. Indeed Its way more fun watching Bills games. That's a given. 

The real question is can the Bills progress in the playoffs, make a SB appearence, and win a SB. 

It's a realistic goal because they have Allen. 

No one knows the future. I'd ask will you feel disappointed if 10 years from now the Bills haven't appeared in a SB? Assuming Allen was relatively healthy and still the Bills QB. 

I know I will be disappointed regardless of their regular season record. 

46 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Part of me just wants to see this happen and watch this team fall off into the abyss with no decent head coach just salute people like you can see what it looks like

I've been a fan of this team for over five decades. I'd like to see a Super Bowl win in my lifetime. I'm not denigrating the current regime. I'd like to see them succeed and nothing I said implied otherwise. In fact, I stipulated that I liked them in order to anticipate and ward off your kind of vehemence. If you think holding them accountable and expecting playoff wins beyond the Wild Card round is too much to ask, that's too bad. And if Sean McDermott cannot win with this bunch, the alternative is not fated to be a bad coach, even if out of misplaced Schadenfreude you would like to see that happen.

Edited by Dr. Who

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

They Bills should have beat KC. They gave the game away in 13 seconds. Many think they had a great chance to go to the SB and win it. No one will really know. The team looked pretty unstoppable. 

The Bills had a great opportunity vs the Texans. They choked the game away. 

They Bills had a great opportunity vs a crappy Jags team. It was a winnable game.

They were totally outclassed and outcoached in the first KC playoff game. Yes KC was better but the coaches game plan was terrible. 

They should have lost to an aging Philip Rivers led Indy team. The team was outcoached by a country mile. 

A 100 yard INT TD saved the day vs a Ravens team. 

Last year they were fortunate to beat Miami. The Cinci game was a disaster. 

During the Bills playoff run can you think of many instances where the coaching staff, game plan, and game time adjustments awed you? Where they were difference makers? Where is the progression in the playoffs? 

You can spin it any way you want. The fact remains the Bills are 4-5 under McD in the playoffs. It's the way they have lost that's the most disturbing. I feel that the coaching staff hasn't put the Bills in the best position to win games. Look at Fraizer as an example. Look at Dorsey last year. Look at McD for 13 seconds. How can a Bills fans not be disappointed by the Bills performance playoff performance under McD? Especially, the last two years. 

The typical response is McD is learning and will improve. Give him time to shine.  Maybe maybe not. It's unknown. I have six years of data to support my doubts. What do McD supporters have to support their thesis or premise that McD can get it done? I suppose it's hope and time because it's might be data. 

Based on your rational the Bills are very unlikely to go to the SB this year. Why? KC and Cinci by almost all football fans are superior teams than Buffalo. Superior coaching staff too. 

KC and Cinci have better qbs. Especially during last year’s playoffs. I don’t think Mahomes or Burrow had being a baby daddy and fighting with his ex on their minds during the playoffs. But hey, he’s our great white hope, so he gets a pass and Diggs is the issue. 
You’re really complaining about playoff wins!?!

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

KC and Cinci have better qbs. Especially during last year’s playoffs. I don’t think Mahomes or Burrow had being a baby daddy and fighting with his ex on their minds during the playoffs. But hey, he’s our great white hope, so he gets a pass and Diggs is the issue. 
You’re really complaining about playoff wins!?!

You serious w this

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

You serious w this

I'd rather have mcdermott than Taylor, he cries still while they're in the championship game how they got ripped off. Excuses before the game is played, I have no worry of Cincinnati.  Players reflect the coach.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Buffalo Bills Message Board. It was a scruffy, Wild West Show with eccentric moderation.

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Like Pegula?

Oooh wee.. he deserved that.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

There was no guarantee that they could’ve beat Cincy if they survived 13 seconds. Unstoppable teams usually don’t lose. They were good that year but, just like every year under this regime, not good enough. Until proven otherwise this coaching staff and even this qb will be questioned. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This post should be framed. 

I could coach the team and not have a laughing stock with a talent of Josh Allen. Let's see them get to the top of their profession.  There's only 31 to beat and you wanna go under 200lbs at rb? Cut it out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

I could coach the team and not have a laughing stock with a talent of Josh Allen. Let's see them get to the top of their profession.  There's only 31 to beat and you wanna go under 200lbs at rb? Cut it out.

😂😂 No you couldn’t. It’s getting late. Put the bottle down and sober up. 

6 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

No offense to you, but no you couldn't. 

None of us could.

You're kidding yourself.

Truly truly pathetic in regards to the McClappy extension.

It is what it is. Nothing I can do about it. However, the expectations yearly here need to be lower with him continuing to be in charge. Won’t get it done under Sean McClappy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

😂😂 No you couldn’t. It’s getting late. Put the bottle down and sober up. 

Above laughing stock is all I'd need to be. Haha. My next biggest fear is stopping the run...I'm no big Edmonds fan and I love watching Milano play, but who is the undersized kid they drafted, jeez between him and Cook we can't ride roller coasters at six flags

43 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It is fair, yup.

But the same - lost opportunities - can be said of any team that makes the playoffs - or comes close - without winning the SB. Andy Reid had a lot more than three years of lost opportunities as an HC till things came together for him. And he's very far from the only one.

But yeah, it certainly is a fair statement.

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

Truly truly pathetic in regards to the McClappy extension.

It is what it is. Nothing I can do about it. However, the expectations yearly here need to be lower with him continuing to be in charge. Won’t get it done under Sean McClappy. 

You have a voice. That's where we have to unite. Let em hear it. You gotta be louder than @NewErawho takes what they give. It's our fun, our past time, don't schmooze us with you got Josh be happy 

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

No offense to you, but no you couldn't. 

None of us could.

You're kidding yourself.

Of course it's facetious but there's plenty of guys that see where a paid guy is wrong in philosophy . There's only 32 jobs. Whatever soothes. We watch every year. Qb is the hardest piece, after that running and defense wins. You can't sneak a sun past a rooster.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think anyone disputes the recent success of the Bills. Indeed Its way more fun watching Bills games. That's a given. 

The real question is can the Bills progress in the playoffs, make a SB appearence, and win a SB. 

It's a realistic goal because they have Allen. 

No one knows the future. I'd ask will you feel disappointed if 10 years from now the Bills haven't appeared in a SB? Assuming Allen was relatively healthy and still the Bills QB. 

I know I will be disappointed regardless of their regular season record. 

Who wouldn’t be disappointed? We are Bills fans and we want a Super Bowl. With that being said, I think I would rather have years of a highly competitive team always on the verge vs winning a Superbowl and then falling on our face for years on end again (I know that’s a crazy take, and I also realize those aren’t the only options). I love watching Bills football and I love it even more when we have a chance in every game. I wound definitely trade that superbowl winning moment for years of true satisfaction watching the Bills week in and week out. Even though the Super Bowl is the ultimate goal, I’m a fan of a team that’s never one it yet. I just love being able to root for a team that truly stand toe to toe with the best.  There is no guarantee a new coach makes us better, and being in the chase every year means we have a shot to go on a run any of those years. Look at the Ravens with Harbough as an example. They are very competitive and generally always in the hunt. They and Flaco had a very nice run the season they won the Super Bowl. It’s not out of the question the Bills/Allen could do the same. I mean Allen is 10x the qb of Flaco. 

Look at the growing pains with Dorsey in his first year as OC, I think having a new up and coming offensive minded coach (as many seem to want) should come with the expectation that their would be growing pains from the coaching position too. Then, what does our defense look like? Does it regress, does the defense cost us games? What would be the consensus if our offense is truly elite, but our defense is holding the team back? 

I’m really excited to see what the defense looks like this year with McDermott calling the plays. I like the idea of having a cutting edge defensive minded coach in this era of offense. However, McDermott needs to show the defense can come to play in the playoffs. However, last year is hard to judge with all of the injuries. It’s supersizing they did (the whole team honestly) as well as they did with as banged up as they were. 

Edited by Tanoros

5 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Both are overrated, McDermott more so than Beane. This will be proven the next few yrs with more early playoff losses. Bookmark this post. 

the problem is how many years do they have?  Personally i think it couldve be done by now.  And when it's done, then i think it'd all be gravy.  Guess you'd have to ask New England fans. One in these colors with that emblem, and i could deal with the human insatiable part. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.