Little Help - Getting to airport after the game

berndog

My son just graduated from college in South Carolina and for a gift he asked to attend a Bills home game.  Living in NC he's been to every game the Bills play in Carolina but he wants the real experience.  Hell, it's been almost 10 years since I've been to a home game and I want it to.  We picked the Miami game but are concerned about getting him to the airport for his 7:30 flight.  Flying out Monday morning isn't an option as he is in grad school and can't miss any classes.

I know this isn't a unique situation so I'm asking is it realistic and what's the best way give him the game experience and make his flight?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm also an out-of-towner & had the same situation for a 1:00 game last year. He'll be fine with a 7:30 flight.

I waited until 10 minutes after the game to exit to the stadium then walked to my rental car. By the time I got to it, much of the traffic had died down, got to the airport in 25 minutes. We even had time to stop for food & still had an hour to wait until the flight boarded. I think I had a 6:30 flight. Buffalo airport is not crowded on a Sunday evening.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have flown out after a 1:00PM game several times. He should have no problem. I think the biggest problem folks have is the first few miles. The key is using a parking lot to get out fairly quickly, even if it means parking a little further and even taking a more circuitous route. I've had a lot of luck along California Road. Also, quickly leaving the stadium can save a ton of time, especially after a win when folks tend to linger. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

I have flown out after a 1:00PM game several times. He should have no problem. I think the biggest problem folks have is the first few miles. The key is using a parking lot to get out fairly quickly, even if it means parking a little further and even taking a more circuitous route. I've had a lot of luck along California Road. Also, quickly leaving the stadium can save a ton of time, especially after a win when folks tend to linger. 

California rd than backroads to lancaster is the trick

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 947 said:

I'm also an out-of-towner & had the same situation for a 1:00 game last year. He'll be fine with a 7:30 flight.

I waited until 10 minutes after the game to exit to the stadium then walked to my rental car. By the time I got to it, much of the traffic had died down, got to the airport in 25 minutes. We even had time to stop for food & still had an hour to wait until the flight boarded. I think I had a 6:30 flight. Buffalo airport is not crowded on a Sunday evening.

man, this does not sound like a normal experience at all. Traffis usually still at a crawl 60-90 minutes after the game.

@mrags can prolly tell ya the best lot to park. Prolly on the south side of Southwestern, as that turns into Transit which will bring you right to the airport.

But 7:30 will be fine, no worries at all. Now, if we get a October surprise snow????

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

man, this does not sound like a normal experience at all. Traffis usually still at a crawl 60-90 minutes after the game.

@mrags can prolly tell ya the best lot to park. Prolly on the south side of Southwestern, as that turns into Transit which will bring you right to the airport.

But 7:30 will be fine, no worries at all. Now, if we get an October surprise snow????

Yeah pretty much impossible to get to the airport in 25 minutes from the stadium. In fact it’s 20 minutes door to door from the stadium to the airport with zero traffic. That’s going the 219 to the 90, to the 33. On game day this would absolutely not be the fastest way. The fastest way would be to head north on southwestern until transit rd. Follow that all the way to genesee. GPS says 26 minutes with no traffic but it’s likely faster than the other way because of traffic. Of course it also depends on where you park really. If you are on the north/east side of the stadium you can get out quickly and head north on southwestern. If you’re in the north/west side of the stadium it may be quicker to go the route of the 90/33, but it definitely going to depend on traffic until you get to the 90. If you are south of the stadium the only possible way this works is if your far enough east of the stadium on big tree and. A get right out of whatever lot you’re in. Get onto the 219 asap and then go the 90 to 33 route. 

like I said, it really depends on where you park. If your on Abbott rd south of the stadium you won’t be going anywhere for at least 60-90 minutes after the game ends. 

good luck @berndog

Edited by mrags

37 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah pretty much impossible to get to the airport in 25 minutes from the stadium. In fact it’s 20 minutes door to door from the stadium to the airport with zero traffic. That’s going the 219 to the 90, to the 33. On game day this would absolutely not be the fastest way. The fastest way would be to head north on southwestern until transit rd. Follow that all the way to genesee. GPS says 26 minutes with no traffic but it’s likely faster than the other way because of traffic. Of course it also depends on where you park really. If you are on the north/east side of the stadium you can get out quickly and head north on southwestern. If you’re in the north/west side of the stadium it may be quicker to go the route of the 90/33, but it definitely going to depend on traffic until you get to the 90. If you are south of the stadium the only possible way this works is if your far enough east of the stadium on big tree and. A get right out of whatever lot you’re in. Get onto the 219 asap and then go the 90 to 33 route. 

like I said, it really depends on where you park. If your on Abbott rd south of the stadium you won’t be going anywhere for at least 60-90 minutes after the game ends. 

good luck @berndog

This sounds like the best advice in this thread.  Nowadays, when I go to games I stay at a friend's house in Depew, not far from the airport and go back after the game.  I get there early enough to park in the lot on California closest to Southwestern (going from Transit, after it turns into Southwestern I make a left at the corner light on to California).  I go all the way on Southwestern/Transit since they live off Transit.  The lot can fill up fast, so if you're a late arrival, you're toast.  Another possibility is in a current stadium side lot on Southwestern between the stadium & California, but you have a lot of pedestrians making it hard to turn right on Southwestern.  Another possibility is the stadium lot on Southwestern if you get there early enough to park in the 1st or 2nd row closest to the exit.  Park on the northeast side of the lot (left after the parking attendants scan the parking pass) so it's an easy right hand turn out. I used to do that when I was younger & I could run out of the stadium to the car-I also used to drive back to Albany after the game, so I had to get out quickly.  Also, it depends on how the game is going.  If a lot of people leave in the middle of the 4th quarter, all the roads will be jammed if you wait until the end.  The fastest I've gotten out of the stadium was games that ended on a final kick or overtime because I could outrun the other fans & when that happened the roads were clear enough to go Southwestern north, left to the 219 & the 219 to I-90.  

Under no circumstances should you wait 10 minutes after the game.  All that does is lets the other people get to their cars and get ahead of you on the road.  I'd recommend the OP puts on WGR's postgame show after a home game before they go to the game & listen to the traffic reports.  They'll get a pretty good idea of how the roads jam up after the game.  There were plenty of games it took 45 minutes to an hour for me to get to the Depew toll booths on the Thruway whether I took Southwestern/Transit all the way to the Thruway via Transit, or went 219 to 90.  

The good news is, even if it takes an hour, if the game ends at 4:15, they'll get to the airport in plenty of time.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

This sounds like the best advice in this thread.  Nowadays, when I go to games I stay at a friend's house in Depew, not far from the airport and go back after the game.  I get there early enough to park in the lot on California closest to Southwestern (going from Transit, after it turns into Southwestern I make a left at the corner light on to California).  I go all the way on Southwestern/Transit since they live off Transit.  The lot can fill up fast, so if you're a late arrival, you're toast.  Another possibility is in a current stadium side lot on Southwestern between the stadium & California, but you have a lot of pedestrians making it hard to turn right on Southwestern.  Another possibility is the stadium lot on Southwestern if you get there early enough to park in the 1st or 2nd row closest to the exit.  Park on the northeast side of the lot (left after the parking attendants scan the parking pass) so it's an easy right hand turn out. I used to do that when I was younger & I could run out of the stadium to the car-I also used to drive back to Albany after the game, so I had to get out quickly.  Also, it depends on how the game is going.  If a lot of people leave in the middle of the 4th quarter, all the roads will be jammed if you wait until the end.  The fastest I've gotten out of the stadium was games that ended on a final kick or overtime because I could outrun the other fans & when that happened the roads were clear enough to go Southwestern north, left to the 219 & the 219 to I-90.  

Under no circumstances should you wait 10 minutes after the game.  All that does is lets the other people get to their cars and get ahead of you on the road.  I'd recommend the OP puts on WGR's postgame show after a home game before they go to the game & listen to the traffic reports.  They'll get a pretty good idea of how the roads jam up after the game.  There were plenty of games it took 45 minutes to an hour for me to get to the Depew toll booths on the Thruway whether I took Southwestern/Transit all the way to the Thruway via Transit, or went 219 to 90.  

The good news is, even if it takes an hour, if the game ends at 4:15, they'll get to the airport in plenty of time.  

It’s been a long time since I’ve parked in the stadium lots. But to my knowledge it’s all Disney style parking now. Where you don’t get the opportunity to pick where you park. You will go where they direct you. Pretty sure this all changed in this way back around 2012ish. Back when the nfl restricted tailgating to 5hrs before the game. I made the mistake of doing it once and never made that mistake again. 

your 100% right about California. If you’re going the southwestern until it turns to transit route, the park just east of California on southwestern. There’s only a few lots over there but because of the policed intersection at southwestern and California you can pretty much pull right out without the worry of any vehicle traffic when they stop traffic for pedestrians. You just have to make your way through the pedestrians and you’re out on the road. I’ve made it from my seat in the stadium to my driveway in less than 30 minutes. That’s with a 10+ minute walk back to my car and a 20 minute or so drive back to Lancaster area. 

I will provide some feedback because I have often taken a 7:30 pm flight after 1 pm games and have been doing this for years…even decades. I typically park in a private lot on Sheldon Rd and leave between 6-6:15 pm. Some traffic but it usually keeps moving. Routes suggested by others here may be best but I use Waze. I get there by 6:45-7 and drop the rental car. Get him TSA pre check so he can get through the security line quickly. This has always worked for me for 1 pm games but this strategy has to change if the game goes into OT.

Now I fly out Monday for Sun games as I work remotely and do not have to be somewhere Mon morning. 

Edited by Mr Info
  • Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, berndog said:

My son just graduated from college in South Carolina and for a gift he asked to attend a Bills home game.  Living in NC he's been to every game the Bills play in Carolina but he wants the real experience.  Hell, it's been almost 10 years since I've been to a home game and I want it to.  We picked the Miami game but are concerned about getting him to the airport for his 7:30 flight.  Flying out Monday morning isn't an option as he is in grad school and can't miss any classes.

I know this isn't a unique situation so I'm asking is it realistic and what's the best way give him the game experience and make his flight?

I'd probably advise leaving a little early because if you get stuck in traffic after the game it's a nightmare. 

Most of the time we just tailgate after and watch the late games because if you are on one of the lots, it's usually after 6pm by the time you can get out.

To add to some of the comments here. You can definitely park over a half mile away and get away from traffic. However, by the time you make it to your car weaving in and out of all the other people walking out, some of the traffic has already built up and you may get stuck. It’s really all about a sweet spot of getting to your vehicle as quickly as possible to avoid a long walk, and to get on the road quicker than everyone else is. If you walk too far down California towards southwestern the walk could be so long that there’s already a cavalcade of cars waiting by the time you get there. Parking in the right lot, facing out towards the street so you don’t have to wait in line in the lot just to get on the road. And getting into moving streets as quickly as possible. 

Like others have commented, the trick is to find a parking spot that is easy to get out of and beat the rush.  I have found that parking on California Rd on the east side gives the best results.  Two right turns and you're on Southwestern which moves decently, especially when they have all three lanes open.  I would take the normal route of Milestrip-219-90-33 to the airport.  It does back up, but not more than 5-10 minutes extra.  

Two things to consider.  New stadium construction is likely to stress the typical parking situation in a major way so check back closer to game day.  A sneaky move is to head south then east and through the nearly empty downtown.  Park at Bert's bikes at Southwestern across from ECC where there is a traffic light to exit.  Turn right, right again at Big Tree and then to route 5.  It's the naked bootleg of routes to the airport.  

image.thumb.png.93a582a16e22a5c438a2ea5c182cba72.png

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, sir andrew said:

Like others have commented, the trick is to find a parking spot that is easy to get out of and beat the rush…

Just using this reply as an example but there are many more stating something similar and I disagree with this approach. I posted prior but will post again. I have flown out of BUF on a 7:30 pm flight after a 1 pm game literally about a hundred times over the years and never left early to beat the rush.

People can be anxious about flights but best to watch the tone of the game and make that decision. Hopefully, the Bills are well ahead and many fans will have departed before the end of the game. Relax after the game and watch the games at 4 or grab a beverage while you wait for the traffic to dissipate...or both.
Even with a close game, let about 2 hrs pass and traffic will have subsided enough for a 40-45 min trip to BUF from the stadium. Leave about 6:15 for the airport and you will be there just prior to 7 and then a quick scoot thru security with TSA pre-check and you are on board shortly later.
Obviously, this approach changes if the game goes to overtime. But, if you have to leave at the end of the Q4 prior to OT, you will not have to be concerned with traffic either. It’s always worked for me. I am on flights fairly often and do not stress about them. But I am a high tier member so can speak with someone right away to make other plans. Nonetheless, not many options out of BUF after 6 pm so can understand the concern. Just stating this approach has always been successful for me.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Two things to consider.  New stadium construction is likely to stress the typical parking situation in a major way so check back closer to game day.  A sneaky move is to head south then east and through the nearly empty downtown.  Park at Bert's bikes at Southwestern across from ECC where there is a traffic light to exit.  Turn right, right again at Big Tree and then to route 5.  It's the naked bootleg of routes to the airport.  

image.thumb.png.93a582a16e22a5c438a2ea5c182cba72.png

This is extremely confusing. If your are parked at Bert’s and make a right on Southwestern, you can only turn left on Big Tree. It’s literally across the street and ends at Southwestern. 

I think you meant to say turn right on McKinley. But then you’re not making 2 rights either. 

regardless, that wouldn’t be a bad way to go. But you are likely hitting more traffic on 5 than expected. Not to mention it’s out of the way and you are backtracking all the way back to the airport. Also, it’s a fairly long walk to Bert’s from the stadium. 9/10 of a mile. Which isn’t that far, but considering the time it take everyone else to walk from the stadium there may already be traffic on southwestern and surely there is traffic in McKinley and Milestrip by the time you get to your car and attempt to get out of there. 

If you are going to backtrack that much, it’s probably better to park south of Big Tree on or around Abbott. Because Abbott is closed going north, you can take it south. Take a few turns through neighborhoods and end up at the 219 near Chestnut Ridge. Even there I wouldn’t get on the 219. You’re still going to hit traffic once you head back towards the stadium. Your best bet is to go backroads until you make it to Southwestern and Transit. 

@berndog there’s plenty of different ways to go. Everyone has their own process and everyone thinks their way is the best. And maybe it is for them. Fwiw I wouldn’t wait around until 6ish and then try and get to the airport in time. First off, not everyone has or can get TSA pre check. I do, but it’s not guaranteed everyone will get it. It’s also an added cost and effort/time to get it. You also run the risk of it happening to be a busy travel day at the airport. Maybe it works 99% of the time for someone, that doesn’t mean there isn’t any problems on that day for you that slow things down. You also run the risk of traffic issues like accidents or dwi checks along your route that could slow your drive dramatically. 

I don’t think it needs to be a rush and don’t think you need to leave the game early by any means. I’m simply saying if you’re parking south of the stadium unless you know the exact routes to take, you may be rushing to get there. Don’t expect to park on Abbott like at Hammers lot and expect to be at the airport on time. 

good luck with everything 

On 6/22/2023 at 2:54 PM, Max Fischer said:

This ^^ If you can get to California Rd and head toward Armor Duells you will have no problem. From there you will have to avoid the 219 ;head to Union or Transit to get closer to the airport. You will miss the congested areas. 

Went to Jet's game last year.. Cold , Wet , Bad roads.. Left with 6 mins left in game and made a 6pm flight while returning a rental car.  7:30pm flight no problem.

Parked in Lot3 made great time.

Edited by fan_in_tx

I grew up a mile from BUF. Just flew in for a fishing trip in May. Runway construction has the planes landing over my old neighborhood. 
   The best part of the Buffalo airport is you can get there an hour before your flight and make your flight!!! I don’t advise it but it’s true ….. so you have wiggle room on that end. 
    In May, I got there 1 1/2 hour ahead of flight and sat at the gate for 40 minutes before an on time boarding.

On 6/24/2023 at 11:20 AM, mrags said:

This is extremely confusing. If your are parked at Bert’s and make a right on Southwestern, you can only turn left on Big Tree. It’s literally across the street and ends at Southwestern. 

I think you meant to say turn right on McKinley. But then you’re not making 2 rights either. 

regardless, that wouldn’t be a bad way to go. But you are likely hitting more traffic on 5 than expected. Not to mention it’s out of the way and you are backtracking all the way back to the airport. Also, it’s a fairly long walk to Bert’s from the stadium. 9/10 of a mile. Which isn’t that far, but considering the time it take everyone else to walk from the stadium there may already be traffic on southwestern and surely there is traffic in McKinley and Milestrip by the time you get to your car and attempt to get out of there. 

If you are going to backtrack that much, it’s probably better to park south of Big Tree on or around Abbott. Because Abbott is closed going north, you can take it south. Take a few turns through neighborhoods and end up at the 219 near Chestnut Ridge. Even there I wouldn’t get on the 219. You’re still going to hit traffic once you head back towards the stadium. Your best bet is to go backroads until you make it to Southwestern and Transit. 

@berndog there’s plenty of different ways to go. Everyone has their own process and everyone thinks their way is the best. And maybe it is for them. Fwiw I wouldn’t wait around until 6ish and then try and get to the airport in time. First off, not everyone has or can get TSA pre check. I do, but it’s not guaranteed everyone will get it. It’s also an added cost and effort/time to get it. You also run the risk of it happening to be a busy travel day at the airport. Maybe it works 99% of the time for someone, that doesn’t mean there isn’t any problems on that day for you that slow things down. You also run the risk of traffic issues like accidents or dwi checks along your route that could slow your drive dramatically. 

I don’t think it needs to be a rush and don’t think you need to leave the game early by any means. I’m simply saying if you’re parking south of the stadium unless you know the exact routes to take, you may be rushing to get there. Don’t expect to park on Abbott like at Hammers lot and expect to be at the airport on time. 

good luck with everything 

Turn right on Big Tree at the light by Tops.

• 3 months later...

I would consider returning your rental early and then Ubering to the airport.

I have successfully waited about 30 minutes after the game to walk over to the ECC Uber lot and got to the airport by 6:30 for a 7:45 flight to RDU.

In some cases you are better off waiting a little bit after traffic clears to have a better route and options to get back. Waze can do you well.

If not, simply get as far away as you can. Especially driving East.

For the home opener I left with 3 minutes on the game clock, parked at Hammers and had to move my way across the crowd walking by moving just a fraction of an inch each chance i got. It took 15 minutes to get into the road but once i did i had the whole lane to myself.  I was on the road by 3:55, on I90 by 4:15. I was in Pittsburgh by 720pm. By leaving 3 minutes early I was about an 45 minutes ahead of my normal checkpoints. When I leave after the game, without rush I hit Pittsburgh by 8:30.

On 6/25/2023 at 9:01 AM, Buffalo Boy said:

I grew up a mile from BUF. Just flew in for a fishing trip in May. Runway construction has the planes landing over my old neighborhood. 
   The best part of the Buffalo airport is you can get there an hour before your flight and make your flight!!! I don’t advise it but it’s true ….. so you have wiggle room on that end. 
    In May, I got there 1 1/2 hour ahead of flight and sat at the gate for 40 minutes before an on time boarding.

Greensboro airport i got there 30 minutes before my flight, got through security 10 minutes before boarding and made it. was lucky af.

seemed liek the good old days.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.