Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

6 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

i think he’s talking about 2015-2020 ish with the old core like Eichel, Reinhart, Nylander, etc. It is true that the Sabres had the #1 ranked prospect pool multiple times during the previous rebuild and it never led to winning.

However, I do think this time is different. Their pipeline this time is sooooo deep. Way deeper than any time in the last decade or more. And it actually seems like the kids are developing this time. Plus, they’re already having success in the NHL.

I am really looking forward to this season!

Eichel and Reinhart almost came straight to the NHL... eichel did Reinhardt took one year

They really weren't part of our minor league pipeline system.. Reinhardt for like a year 

Sabers had some good young talent coming straight up.. but our minor league pipeline was absolutely still pretty bare even in 2016... Certainly not the best in the NHL

It's nothing like today.. where we have future top 6 forwards in the OHL and WHL and in Rochester

We didn't have that in 2016... We had two 19 year olds who were supposed to be studs.. that's about it

Edited by Buffalo716

8 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

i think he’s talking about 2015-2020 ish with the old core like Eichel, Reinhart, Nylander, etc. It is true that the Sabres had the #1 ranked prospect pool multiple times during the previous rebuild and it never led to winning.

However, I do think this time is different. Their pipeline this time is sooooo deep. Way deeper than any time in the last decade or more. And it actually seems like the kids are developing this time. Plus, they’re already having success in the NHL.

I am really looking forward to this season!

LOL, all those prospects were traded away by Tim Murray. Except for Brandon Hagel. Jason Botterill wasn't impressed and let him walk. I wonder how he's doing now?

Oh, and this....

• Shocked 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Eichel and Reinhart almost came straight to the NHL... eichel did Reinhardt took one year

They really weren't part of our minor league pipeline system.. Reinhardt for like a year 

Sabers had some good young talent coming straight up.. but our minor league pipeline was absolutely still pretty bare even in 2016... Certainly not the best in the NHL

It's nothing like today.. where we have future top 6 forwards in the OHL and WHL and in Rochester

We didn't have that in 2016... We had two 19 year olds who were supposed to be studs.. that's about it

The Sabres still had the #1 prospect pool ranking in 2014/15, 2018 and numerous top 3 rankings too.

https://theathletic.com/459786/2018/08/30/pronman-2018-19-nhl-farm-system-rankings/?amp=1

But I agree, this time is different. They have an insane amount of good prospects right now. And it’s actually transferring to the ice this time. Prospects are developing, both in the AHL and NHL. 

I wasn’t disagreeing with your post BTW. I was just pointing out that to a casual Buffalo Sabres fan who hasn’t been paying attention to this latest version of the rebuild, I can see why a top prospect pool doesn’t mean a whole lot to them.

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The Sabres still had the #1 prospect pool ranking in 2014/15, 2018 and numerous top 3 rankings too.

https://theathletic.com/459786/2018/08/30/pronman-2018-19-nhl-farm-system-rankings/?amp=1

But I agree, this time is different. They have an insane amount of good prospects right now. And it’s actually transferring to the ice this time. Prospects are developing, both in the AHL and NHL. 

I wasn’t disagreeing with your post BTW. I was just pointing out that to a casual Buffalo Sabres fan who hasn’t been paying attention to this latest version of the rebuild, I can see why a top prospect pool doesn’t mean a whole lot to them.

Well to be fair 2018 is when we drafted Dahlin.. which is when I said our pipeline actually changed.. we've became loaded from 18 to 23

Our pipeline in 2014-2015 was barren.. besides Jack eichel and Sam Reinhart.. which shot us to the top of the rankings because we had two projected superstars

But they started playing in Buffalo at 19 years old ... They never really were a part of a pipeline... They were thrown right to the big leagues..  they weren't seasoned in the minor leagues... The difference between 2014 and 2023... Is we have bona fide top 6 forwards in the minor league system.. we didn't have that outside of Jack and Sam... Who basically came right away

Take Reinhardt and eichel off the prospect list... And it's not great

I think those two players greatly influenced the rankings... But we didn't have much outside of them in the pipeline 

Today... We literally have 10 plus guys who will be NHL players from the OHL WHL and Rochester 

Edited by Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well to be fair 2018 is when we drafted Dahlin.. which is when I said our pipeline actually changed.. we've became loaded from 18 to 23

Our pipeline in 2014-2015 was barren.. besides Jack eichel and Sam Reinhart.. which shot us to the top of the rankings because we had two projected superstars

But they started playing in Buffalo at 19 years old ... They never really were a part of a pipeline... They were thrown right to the big leagues..  they weren't seasoned in the minor leagues... The difference between 2014 and 2023... Is we have bona fide top 6 forwards in the minor league system.. we didn't have that outside of Jack and Sam

Take Reinhardt and eichel off the prospect list... And it's horrible

Yes, I agree. They’ve never had a prospect pool like this since the rebuild started in 2013. They have good prospects in juniors, the AHL, Russia, Europe… it’s crazy!

I was just saying that the #1 prospect pool ranking (the ranking itself) probably doesn’t mean much to Sabres fans that haven’t really been following the team lately like pine barrens.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was just saying that the #1 prospect pool ranking (the ranking itself) probably doesn’t mean much to Sabres fans that haven’t really been following the team lately like pine barrens.

This is true as I am sort of in the same boat.

I recognize the potential and think it's going to be for realz this time, but I am not buying in until I see it on the ice.

fwiw, yesterday I just convinced DTV to cut my bill nearly in half or I was cancelling because they lost Sunday Ticket. The only reason I even considered keeping it was because it's the only place I can get Sabres games down here in Western Pennsyltucky. 

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yes, I agree. They’ve never had a prospect pool like this since the rebuild started in 2013. They have good prospects in juniors, the AHL, Russia, Europe… it’s crazy!

We have crazy good europeaners ! Talent in the OHL, WHL, even D1

They are stacked 

20 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

At one point, we had an embarrassment of riches, especially on the blue line.  Myers (still very young, but not a prospect at that time), Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk, McNabb were all blue chip D 1st Round level prospects.  There were also guys like Compher and Lemieux who were highly rated around that time... plus Grigorenko and Girgensons drafted in the first round, not to mention the promise of the upcoming tank picks.  They also possessed a ton of draft capital at that point.  Under Murray, they squandered much of that and also failed to develop, and lost organizational assets at pennies on the dollar. 

Now, they have the organizational/prospect depth at forward (while also have top 3 young NHL defenseman).  It looks like they are developing well.  I think they hit a grand slam on Benson falling to them.

Still need to put it all together and get over the hump to be a relevant NHL franchise.  

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Simon said:

This is true as I am sort of in the same boat.

I recognize the potential and think it's going to be for realz this time, but I am not buying in until I see it on the ice.

fwiw, yesterday I just convinced DTV to cut my bill nearly in half or I was cancelling because they lost Sunday Ticket. The only reason I even considered keeping it was because it's the only place I can get Sabres games down here in Western Pennsyltucky. 

FYI.  Here in VT, with the exception of games against the Bruins (NESN) or Rangers (MSG) which are blacked out, I get all of the Sabres games on ESPN+.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

FYI.  Here in VT, with the exception of games against the Bruins (NESN) or Rangers (MSG) which are blacked out, I get all of the Sabres games on ESPN+.

I have ESPN+ as well. It's a pretty good deal. I'm in Tampa, so I get all the games except Lightning games. Even Tampa games played in Buffalo are blacked out, which is stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

I should amend my post to insert the word "free".

I don't intend on keeping DTV for all eternity so this might be a viable option. Thanks!

P.S. Does it matter how far you are from Bos/NY resulting in blackouts? I'm right on the very edge of the Erie broadcast zone which is why I get Sabres games even though I'm much closer to Pittsburgh than Buffalo. Although, all my networks are P'burgh affiliates so I don't know if that is what decides my fate re: blackouts.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

1 hour ago, Fleezoid said:

I have ESPN+ as well. It's a pretty good deal. I'm in Tampa, so I get all the games except Lightning games. Even Tampa games played in Buffalo are blacked out, which is stupid. 

Yeah, ESPN+ coverage of the NHL has been amazing. I think I caught almost every Sabres game last year, or could have if I wanted to. Looking forward to this season as well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, ESPN+ coverage of the NHL has been amazing. I think I caught almost every Sabres game last year, or could have if I wanted to. Looking forward to this season as well.

Same.  ESPN+ has nearly every game. The only exceptions are NHLNet broadcasts and the occasional Stars game because some ####### thinks Houston is in the Dallas market.

• Like (+1) 1

https://x.com/ben_mathewson/status/1704643454234493221?s=46&t=aPpesQ9OFgU8cA3wnTdNeA

The Ducks are being choosy [with Zegras]? They want to break it? I heard there's a team looking that way and it's the Buffalo Sabres. The Sabers have to make the playoffs this year and you solve your problem by bringing Zegras,” the journalist told JiC.

um what?

27 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

https://x.com/ben_mathewson/status/1704643454234493221?s=46&t=aPpesQ9OFgU8cA3wnTdNeA

The Ducks are being choosy [with Zegras]? They want to break it? I heard there's a team looking that way and it's the Buffalo Sabres. The Sabers have to make the playoffs this year and you solve your problem by bringing Zegras,” the journalist told JiC.

um what?

That does not excite me. 

Zegras has highlight reel handling but I don't think hes a complete player from the limited games of his I've seen.  Ducks fans insist he cant take contact and hes a defensive zone liability.  I think he'd be our 3rd line C.  

On 9/20/2023 at 11:18 AM, Simon said:

I should amend my post to insert the word "free".

I don't intend on keeping DTV for all eternity so this might be a viable option. Thanks!

P.S. Does it matter how far you are from Bos/NY resulting in blackouts? I'm right on the very edge of the Erie broadcast zone which is why I get Sabres games even though I'm much closer to Pittsburgh than Buffalo. Although, all my networks are P'burgh affiliates so I don't know if that is what decides my fate re: blackouts.

Not sure about that, but I’m sure you could find out what your blackout restrictions are by calling customer service.  Do you know anyone in your area that has ESPN+?  If so, they also might be able to speak to that.  I get why the Bruins/Sabres games are blacked out here, but I don’t understand why the Rangers games are also.  Most people here hate everything NYC related.  Might as well live in Massachusetts.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/how-to-watch-buffalo-sabres-preseason-games-2023

How to watch the Sabres' 2023 preseason games:

All 7 games will be available on MSG or Sabres.com

Below is the team’s preseason schedule with info on how to watch each game.

Sunday, Sept. 24 at Washington – 2 p.m.

Watch: Sabres.com (Washington feed with Capitals commentators)

Listen: WBEN 930 AM (Dan Dunleavy and Rob Ray)

Tuesday, Sept. 26 vs. Boston – 7 p.m.

Watch: MSG (NESN feed with Bruins commentators)

Listen: WGR 550 (Dan Dunleavy and Marty Biron)

Wednesday, Sept. 27 at Toronto – 6:30 p.m.

Watch: MSG (Sportsnet national feed)

Listen: WGR 550 (Dan Dunleavy and Rob Ray)

Thursday, Sept. 28 at Pittsburgh – 7 p.m.

Watch: Sabres.com (Pittsburgh feed with Penguins commentators)

Saturday, Sept. 30 vs. Columbus – 3 p.m.

Watch: Sabres.com (Dan Dunleavy and Rob Ray)

Wednesday, Oct. 4 at Columbus – 7 p.m.

Watch: Sabres.com (Columbus feed with Blue Jackets commentators)

Friday, Oct. 6 vs. Pittsburgh – 7 p.m.

Watch: MSG (Dan Dunleavy and Rob Ray; pregame starting at 6:30 p.m.)

Listen: WGR 550 (Radio Simulcast)

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Draconator said:

Rick Jenarette, in his current condition, sounds more alive than Jack Edwards

Yes, that was painful to listen to. Hadn't listened to him in a long time and my first thought was he had a stroke. Looked it up and it turns out it is a different condition;  Mitochondrial Dysfunction, which I'd never heard of. It causes fatigue, muscle weakness and neurological problems. It's really too bad for him, but for fans' sake, he should retire. Or perhaps they could have him do spots on their intermission show. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Yes, that was painful to listen to. Hadn't listened to him in a long time and my first thought was he had a stroke. Looked it up and it turns out it is a different condition;  Mitochondrial Dysfunction, which I'd never heard of. It causes fatigue, muscle weakness and neurological problems. It's really too bad for him, but for fans' sake, he should retire. Or perhaps they could have him do spots on their intermission show. 

As sad as this sounds I’m actually glad to hear Edwards has a medical condition…it’s that bad.

Best wishes for his health.  This is just a game.

17 hours ago, eball said:

As sad as this sounds I’m actually glad to hear Edwards has a medical condition…it’s that bad.

Best wishes for his health.  This is just a game.

Same, I tuned in to catch the end of the game and assumed they had a special spot guy doing it for pre season. Man it was a tough listen, but I at least have more understanding now.

3 hours ago, QCity said:

Toronto game was pretty ugly. UPL was in midseason form. Olofsson blended right in with the other AHL'ers. The lineup was certainly lacking but not a lot of positives to take away from that one.

Problem.  

Jeebus, Zach Benson is going to make the big club isn’t he?!  Gosh he just reminds me of Danny Briere so much.  Kids gonna be a stud.  Just turned 18.

Solution.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/27/2023 at 11:23 AM, Fleezoid said:

Same here. I hadn’t heard edwards call a game in years and my first thought was “did he have a stroke?” so I googled it and found the same thin you did.

On 9/26/2023 at 8:14 PM, QCity said:

Zach Benson looks amazing. Hard to believe he just turned 18 four months ago.

On 9/27/2023 at 10:45 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Jeebus, Zach Benson is going to make the big club isn’t he?!  Gosh he just reminds me of Danny Briere so much.  Kids gonna be a stud.  Just turned 18.

Now you all can see why I was so hyped on draft night when he fell to #13!

are fans still worried about his size? 😉 lol

yeah, he’s going to be a good one.

(edit - I get why his size was a concern. I wasn’t mocking anyone for that, just to be clear)

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/27/2023 at 11:23 AM, Fleezoid said:

Mitochondria are yhe power house of all cells. They are an organelle which generates ATP, Which the cell uses for energy. From what I remember, there is no cure and you  just get weaker and weaker.

Edited by Wacka
  • Thank you (+1) 1