Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

37 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Not Sabres related but Patrice Bergeron just announced his retirement. Big loss for the B's as he was an excellent player.

He was their #1 C and they have nobody to replace him. Definitely a big loss.

No way they can replace his production either for anything close to what he signed for last year. I don’t think they have any cap space anyway.

Wonder if Krejci is coming back? There was talk as of late June that he was leaning toward retirement. If he also retires, the bruins will have lost both of their top 6 centers.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

No way they can replace his production either for anything close to what he signed for last year. I don’t think they have any cap space anyway.

Wonder if Krejci is coming back? There was talk as of late June that he was leaning toward retirement. If he also retires, the bruins will have lost both of their top 6 centers.

The B's will definitely regress this year. How could they not after the regular season they had last year. Also, Tampa is getting older and losing players from their Cup years. Vasilevisky started to show some decline in last year's playoffs as well. The Leafs however are still very good. If the Sabres continue to improve and they should then finishing in the top 3 in the Atlantic division is a realistic goal. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Gregg said:

The B's will definitely regress this year. How could they not after the regular season they had last year. Also, Tampa is getting older and losing players from their Cup years. Vasilevisky started to show some decline in last year's playoffs as well. The Leafs however are still very good. If the Sabres continue to improve and they should then finishing in the top 3 in the Atlantic division is a realistic goal. 

The Bruins as we know them are finished.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

If I’m doing my math correctly he and Ullmark were the only two guys on that team who aren’t complete douche bags.

• Haha (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gregg said:

It's nice to see they are selected as one of the teams with the brightest future. Still have to prove it on the ice but it's nice the Sabres getting some respect.

screenshot_20230820_130604_photos-jpg.73

I'm getting really amped up for this season. If goaltending holds up, should be a playoff season. 

13 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

I'm getting really amped up for this season. If goaltending holds up, should be a playoff season. 

This is the year they will make the playoffs. They really have a good group of forwards led by Tage. If the D and G are decent, they will make it.

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres will be on national tv 15 times this season.

The Sabres' national TV schedule for 2023-24 is as follows:

Oct. 17 vs. Tampa Bay - 7:30 p.m. on ESPN
Nov. 1 at Philadelphia - 7 p.m. on TNT (exclusively on MSG in the Buffalo broadcast market)
Nov. 24 vs. Pittsburgh - 6 p.m. on TNT 
Dec. 5 vs. Detroit - 7:30 p.m. on ESPN+/Hulu
Dec. 13 at Colorado - 9:30 p.m. on TNT
Dec. 27 vs. Boston - 7:30 p.m. on TNT
Jan. 17 vs. Chicago - 7:30 p.m. on TNT (exclusively on MSG in the Buffalo broadcast market)
Feb. 10 vs. St. Louis - 1 p.m. on ABC
Feb. 27 at Florida - 7 p.m. on ESPN+/Hulu
March 2 vs. Vegas - 7 p.m. on ESPN+/Hulu
March 6 at Toronto - 7 p.m. on TNT
March 9 vs. Edmonton - 12:30 p.m. on ESPN+/Hulu
March 14 vs. New York Islanders - 7:30 p.m. on ESPN+/Hulu
March 30 vs. Toronto - 7 p.m. on ESPN+/Hulu
April 7 at Detroit - 1 p.m. on TNT 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

McDavid 18
May pole Loafs 11

Rest of teams from Canada  combined 2

I am surprised the Canadiens didn't get any. I know the team isn't very good, but they are an original 6. Original 6 teams have strong fanbases and usually get high TV ratings. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

There's no way Pittsburgh is currently a Cup or Bust team

Well, I read it as they are on the last Legs of Syd, Geno, and Letang,  traded for Karlson and don’t have much in way of talent in system. They kinda have to win cup soon, cause they gunna be bad soon after. 

let’s not forget they added Hinastoza and Pysyk! 

21 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, I read it as they are on the last Legs of Syd, Geno, and Letang,  traded for Karlson and don’t have much in way of talent in system. They kinda have to win cup soon, cause they gunna be bad soon after. 

let’s not forget they added Hinastoza and Pysyk! 

Na the NHL will make sure they somehow end up getting a franchise player with the 1st overall pick in a draft...like Chicago. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I've heard this forever

Maybe it's true this year.

That certainly isn't true your first statement lol

The 2000 years that were really good we sapped our entire pipeline to stay relevant 

Trading away prospects and picks to remain relevant...

The sabres pipeline has been entirely rebuilt starting with Dahlin pick...

Matthew savoie , isik Rosen , Zach Benson .. we have stud under 20 kids and a lot more 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The 2000 years that were really good we sapped our entire pipeline to stay relevant 

Trading away prospects and looks to remain relevant...

Matthew savoie , isik Rosen , Zach Benson .. we have stud under 20 kids and a lot more 

i pray you're right, i'd like some relevant hockey after the inevitable bills playoff collapse

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

There always seems to be but no one pans out 

WTF are taking about? Almost every good player on the Sabres now is home grown!

45 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I've heard this forever

Maybe it's true this year.

I have to ask. We're you in a coma last season?

On 6/15/2023 at 12:22 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Boo! That sucks. I thought Weber was doing a fantastic job in Rochester. That’s a big loss for the Amerks IMO.

I was kind of hoping maybe Weber would eventually replace Marty Wilford as the Sabres defensive asst. coach.

Wonder if he'll be back available soon.

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Also keep in mind Noah Ostland isn't playing in the prospects games (in Swedish Pro league). They've got 5 1st round forwards in the pipeline.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Wonder if he'll be back available soon.

Wtf?! What happened?

edit - I had read about him asking p,Ayers to share photos of their families to get to know each other better. Apparently this all stems from that? I don’t get why he was forced to resign over that.

Edited by BillsFan4

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Trading away prospects and picks to remain relevant...

i think he’s talking about 2015-2020 ish with the old core like Eichel, Reinhart, Nylander, etc. It is true that the Sabres had the #1 ranked prospect pool multiple times during the previous rebuild and it never led to winning.

However, I do think this time is different. Their pipeline this time is sooooo deep. Way deeper than any time in the last decade or more. And it actually seems like the kids are developing this time. Plus, they’re already having success in the NHL.

I am really looking forward to this season!