Any Bills Fans ever been to the NFL Draft (I'll start)

Sweet Lou

Unplanned visit to Radio City Music Hall for the NFL Draft in 2007.  My late wife was having surgery at North Presbyterian in NYC.  I was pacing the hall during her surgical procedure, wearing my old Bills hat as usual.  (I wear a Bills hat every day)  While pacing, the Doctor's limo driver waved to me to get my attention, then said; "Hey!"

"I wanna show you something!"  "And don't worry we got lots of time!"

I followed him to the car and he said to hop in and that this would only take a minute.  He pulled up In front of the Radio City Hall and he gave me a Doctor's pass on a lanyard.  He said "You got a half hour kid!"  "Be back here in 30!"  Ushers opened the door and I walked in with just a nod.  I have always described the experience as enchanting.  I just followed the noise, because I actually thought I was lost.

During the announcement of a draft pick the whole place would go silent, then a moment later the place would erupt in loud Boooing.  The Commissioner was the one being boooed I think.  It was a collection of fans from 32 different teams and there was no fighting;  just shaking hands, talking, hugging, eating and drinking beer.  I kept an eye on the time and when it was time to go I was actually questioned by an unknown  fan who said "Doc., Ya leaving already?"  Gotta go was my reply and I kept walking.  My head was spinning all the way back to North Pres.  I couldn't believe what I just did and what I went through.  Long story short:  Her cancer came back ten years later.

It was aggressive and it took her quickly. 

"You gotta build some memories kid!"  Was the last advice given.  Weird thing is, I was 49 at the time.  I'm 65 now and still building the memories.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Sad 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Amazing story. So sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. 

I was at the draft at Radio City in 2009. We just signed T.O. And I had An Owens jersey within a few days. Went to the draft. Had an amazing time. Met some longtime friends. Met Goodell and the late “professor”, John Clayton. Unfortunately we drafted Aaron Maybin. 

I was at the 2018 draft in Dallas when we drafted Josh Allen.  Lots of excitement in that 1st round when the Bills traded up, and when Roger Goodell finished the "and with the 7th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select Josh ...." sentence with "Allen", I slumped in my seat and hung my shaking head, while my son, who was 23 at the time, jumped with glee.  I of course wanted to hear "Rosen".  Needless to say, my son was right on THAT one.

• Like (+1) 1

i went to day 3 last year in Vegas. @Jamie Nails flexed on security and got me into the front.  We were crushing seltzers and talking smack.  I got meet and sit next to @Mark Vader and experience his all time draft manifesto, each player ever drafted since 1932 written down by the man himself.  He looks great for a man over 100 years old.  it was a pleasure and privilege gentlemen.  Thanks for having me.  

the first pick I witnessed was Khalil Shakir, one of my draft class crushes. Than the rape god and Benford. 3 (what should have been) solid picks in a row on day 3.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Never been, but the agency I work for has a few people there doing marketing activation for an NFL partner.  My instructions to the team were simple - "Look for Bills players and get me autographs!  Oh, and like, do your job or whatever...":beer:

I'll go in 2026 when it's in Buffalo at the new stadium!

Edited by Heitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was fortunate enough to be in the inner circle when it came to Nashville in 2019. My good friend works in my insurance agency here and she is also President of the Nashville Bills Backers (it’s also awesome that she’s from West Seneca and me Hamburg). What an experience! Once in a Lifetime!

Edited by PJBrown7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

My son now works at NFL. But he did an internship there back in 2012 and got me into Radio City, which was right across the street from 30 Rock where I worked at NBC.

Was very cool with the pomp and circumstance and buzz in the lobby and concourses.

Of course the present set up dwarfs the former in the same way Radio City Dwarfed the Sheraton and other NYC Venues before it.

He's been to the Nashville and Vegas drafts since as an employee. Nice little junket for the execs. Not quite the Super Bowl but still great to be a part of for hi,

Not going this year, working home base.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Never been, but the agency I work for has a few people there doing marketing activation for an NFL partner.  My instructions to the team were simple - "Look for Bills players and get me autographs!  Oh, and like, do your job or whatever...":beer:

I'll go in 2026 when it's in Buffalo at the new stadium!

I’m guessing it’ll be in Buffalo once the new stadium is built as well. But I don’t think it’ll be IN the new stadium. Maybe I’m wrong. 

what would be really cool actually is hosting it in the Ralph. One last send off before they tear the thing down 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Sweet Lou said:

Unplanned visit to Radio City Music Hall for the NFL Draft in 2007.  My late wife was having surgery at North Presbyterian in NYC.  I was pacing the hall during her surgical procedure, wearing my old Bills hat as usual.  (I wear a Bills hat every day)  While pacing, the Doctor's limo driver waved to me to get my attention, then said; "Hey!"

I followed him to the car and he said to hop in and that this would only take a minute.  He pulled up In front of the Radio City Hall and he gave me a Doctor's pass on a lanyard.  He said "You got a half hour kid!"  "Be back here in 30!"  Ushers opened the door and I walked in with just a nod.  I have always described the experience as enchanting.  I just followed the noise, because I actually thought I was lost.

During the announcement of a draft pick the whole place would go silent, then a moment later the place would erupt in loud Boooing.  The Commissioner was the one being boooed I think.  It was a collection of fans from 32 different teams and there was no fighting;  just shaking hands, talking, hugging, eating and drinking beer.  I kept an eye on the time and when it was time to go I was actually questioned by an unknown  fan who said "Doc., Ya leaving already?"  Gotta go was my reply and I kept walking.  My head was spinning all the way back to North Pres.  I couldn't believe what I just did and what I went through.  Long story short:  Her cancer came back ten years later.

"You gotta build some memories kid!"  Was the last advice given.  Weird thing is, I was 49 at the time.  I'm 65 now and still building the memories.

This is both a great and horrible story

Went in 2001, the year Vick went first overall and we traded back and took Nate Clements.  No tickets were distributed so hand to stand in long line to get in.  Was pretty boring. Before smart phones, it was way better to be watching it on TV in your living room.  And most of the people there were just dressed up to get on TV and had no idea that the Chargers traded the #1 pick the night before.  Was a weird scene.  I assume it is way better now.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m guessing it’ll be in Buffalo once the new stadium is built as well. But I don’t think it’ll be IN the new stadium. Maybe I’m wrong. 

what would be really cool actually is hosting it in the Ralph. One last send off before they tear the thing down 

They will host it in the FieldHouse. 😉 

😆...

32 minutes ago, CookieG said:

I live an hour from KC and my oldest asked if I wanted to drive to attend the draft.  Nah.  With my luck, I'm the guy on national TV, who is caught screaming WTF when they draft a DT at 27.

And he then turns out to be the greatest DT of all time and your reaction is there to be mocked for decades. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They will host it in the FieldHouse. 😉 

😆...

They will probably host it in the new stadium. And it will be freezing rain that day. Just to show that we should have built a dome. 

calm down people it’s a joke 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

They will probably host it in the new stadium. And it will be freezing rain that day. Just to show that we should have built a dome. 

calm down people it’s a joke 

😆  I agree with you! I am in your camp!

14 hours ago, Sweet Lou said:

Thank you for sharing this story, I commend you on your strength and I am so sorry about the loss of your wife.  Thank you for the advice as well.  I needed that. 

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

i went to day 3 last year in Vegas. @Jamie Nails flexed on security and got me into the front.  We were crushing seltzers and talking smack.  I got meet and sit next to @Mark Vader and experience his all time draft manifesto, each player ever drafted since 1932 written down by the man himself.  He looks great for a man over 100 years old.  it was a pleasure and privilege gentlemen.  Thanks for having me.  

the first pick I witnessed was Khalil Shakir, one of my draft class crushes. Than the rape god and Benford. 3 (what should have been) solid picks in a row on day 3.

Hell yeah! I’m out here in KC. Look for your boy in the inner circle tonight! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Amazing story OP.  

Never been to the draft, but a number of years ago a friend of mine from HS announced a pick.  I'm sitting watching the draft then out of nowhere he appears it was like holy crap that's Jim!

I always wanted to go when it was at Radio City Music Hall.  Once they moved it outside, I lost that interest. Now it appears to be just a big party where you have to stand.  Much better to watch on TV.   I have always hoped for a downpour on draft night to prove what an idiotic idea it is to have an outdoor event. 

Why not rotate at the domed stadiums?   At least those interested in attending for 3 days would have a seat. 

5 hours ago, Olliemets said:

My son now works at NFL. But he did an internship there back in 2012 and got me into Radio City, which was right across the street from 30 Rock where I worked at NBC.

Was very cool with the pomp and circumstance and buzz in the lobby and concourses.

Of course the present set up dwarfs the former in the same way Radio City Dwarfed the Sheraton and other NYC Venues before it.

He's been to the Nashville and Vegas drafts since as an employee. Nice little junket for the execs. Not quite the Super Bowl but still great to be a part of for hi,

Not going this year, working home base.

I’ve never attended a draft, but Nashville looked awesome on TV! Great venue for it, too. 

As I’ve posted elsewhere, I’d rather be able to sit in the Bills war room during a draft than attend a Super Bowl the Bills were playing in. I’ve been to a Bills SB (spoiler alert: we lost). I’ve been to a LOT of games. The war room would be a unique and amazing experience. So Terry, if you’re reading this, please PM me. It’s not too late!  😋

That's a great story and a nice memory during a difficult time; awesome of that Limo driver to do that for you.

I'm guessing your moniker  comes from "Sweet Lou" Piccone. I've not thought about him in years.

I went in 1997 draft 1st day.  My parents scheduled their 50th anniversary party the Sunday of the draft (even though their anniversary was in March).  They lived in Long Island & didn't have cable and the only way I could see Saturday's draft was to go to it.  So I had my father drive me to the Long Island Railroad station in Rockville Centre around 4:30 AM.  I got to Penn Station & waited until they were accepting people on the line to get the wristbands at the Felt Forum or whatever they called it then.  I got my wristband, went back to Penn Station and waited in the Long Island Railroad passenger waiting area & read some newspapers.  While I was reading the papers, security came in & asked for our tickets, since you can only be there if you have a LIRR ticket.  Just about everyone but me was homeless & they all got kicked out & I was basically alone in the area reading my papers.  Eventually I went back & took my place on line going to the spot my wristband indicated.  I have a little piece of cardboard with the NFL logo that says 040, so I guess I was 40th on line.  I ended up getting a seat right behind the rows reserved for the press & took a bunch of photos, including one of Antowain Smith after the Bills drafted him.  I stayed until the draft ended that day, went to my parents' party on Sunday & when we got back to my parents house I had my sister's husband go on the computer & find the rest of the Bills draft choices who were drafted that Sunday.  

Many years ago, the draft was not a spectacle - no tickets or reservations were required - and was held at the Marriott hotel in NYC

I happened to be in NYC in 1989 at the time of the draft and just walked in for part of the 3rd round, just in time for the Bills to draft Don Beebe

Was pretty boring as there was nothing to do/see between picks - no videos / highlights / interviews  ...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaBu said:

That's a great story and a nice memory during a difficult time; awesome of that Limo driver to do that for you.

I'm guessing your moniker  comes from "Sweet Lou" Piccone. I've not thought about him in years.

I was given the nickname by my fellow correction officers in 1988.  Every officer gets an AKA.  By 2016 I was wearing an official name tag engraved with my work name as Sweet Lou.  Everyone referred to me as Sweet Lou, from the Superintendent on down, even the inmates.  Unfortunately, the inmates added the F-bomb to the front of it.  I retired in July of 2020 with 32 years of service.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.